Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

gently caress everything forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Breadnought posted:

This is a completely valid reaction

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Breadnought posted:

Same

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Just found out about this Kickstarter about a new ISO 800 tungsten-balanced film: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cinestill/cinestill-medium-format-film

Apparently there's already a 35mm version. Anybody tried it?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

404notfound posted:

Just found out about this Kickstarter about a new ISO 800 tungsten-balanced film: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cinestill/cinestill-medium-format-film

Apparently there's already a 35mm version. Anybody tried it?

I posted this exact question a few pages back! I've had a look on Flickr and most people are dumb and shooting it during the day in natural light, which totally defeats the point of this expensive as gently caress film. All the promo shots look good and anything shot under fluorescent looks great from what I've seen

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
my friend works with a guy who shoots it in 120. He has some really nice examples. You can find him on Flickr as sandyphimester

Actually it looks like he's posted more on Instagram under the same name

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 10, 2014

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Oh man I have this super weirdo deja vu feeling that I went to this place when I was in portland...

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

Oh man I have this super weirdo deja vu feeling that I went to this place when I was in portland...

It's the outside of Frolics.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
door by PC-P, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

With the trusty GW690ii

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Very nice.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Spedman posted:

With the trusty GW690ii

Very thoroughly enjoyed these.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spedman posted:

With the trusty GW690ii

Yes yes yes

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Loving the mood in those shots Spedman!

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
It's so rare for me to shoot B&W these days but I guess these are soemthing:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So my father has handed me his speed graflex and a six sheet holder and told me to load it so we can try it out tomorrow. I figured out that part already but how the hell do you develop sheet film?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So my father has handed me his speed graflex and a six sheet holder and told me to load it so we can try it out tomorrow. I figured out that part already but how the hell do you develop sheet film?

The same way as other film? If you have a patterson tank google the taco method.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

8th-snype posted:

The same way as other film? If you have a patterson tank google the taco method.

This was exactly what I needed, thanks!

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

If you're going to do it on even a semi-regular basis, a mod54 would be a really good investment. It's fairly easy to load one after a bit of practise and you'll be able to develop all six sheets at once.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

PushingKingston posted:

It's so rare for me to shoot B&W these days but I guess these are soemthing:

Took my brain a while to parse this, in a good way.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Baron Dirigible posted:

If you're going to do it on even a semi-regular basis, a mod54 would be a really good investment. It's fairly easy to load one after a bit of practise and you'll be able to develop all six sheets at once.

Yeah, Mod reels own.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Some people have had issues with their mod54 holders. Mostly some weird marks from the corner of the film holder in areas of continuous tone. If you do get one be extra gentle on agitation, that seems to help.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Probably my last MF "macro", since I sold the macro rails to a friend. It was an interesting experience to shoot MF macro nonetheless, albeit sometimes quite frustrating.

Leaves at Dell Lane by alkanphel, on Flickr

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Baron Dirigible posted:

For my self probably not, since this camera was a bitch to use. if my dad goes that route will it fit into a super system 4 tank or is that too small?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ezekiel_980 posted:

For my self probably not, since this camera was a bitch to use. if my dad goes that route will it fit into a super system 4 tank or is that too small?

The Super System 4 is exactly what you need to use the MOD54.

8th-snype posted:

Some people have had issues with their mod54 holders. Mostly some weird marks from the corner of the film holder in areas of continuous tone. If you do get one be extra gentle on agitation, that seems to help.

This is me. It was rarely a problem for me, but when it was, it was so infuriating to try to deal with that I switched to the Jobo system.

Example - this is after I did as much as I could to mitigate the effect - see the bright spots along the top edge:

Netarts by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I find it so weird, I use the same developer, same dilutions, same times, same agitation method, yet still intermittently sometimes I get those same uneven marks as you, Mr.BA.
It makes me loving terrified of developing in the fear I'll destroy one of the better photos from a recent outing.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

This is me. It was rarely a problem for me, but when it was, it was so infuriating to try to deal with that I switched to the Jobo system.

Example - this is after I did as much as I could to mitigate the effect - see the bright spots along the top edge:

Netarts by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

I see some unevenness on the left side too? And I was thinking of getting the Mod54 reel too...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Oh there's a bitch in this post, but it's you. Cowboy up and shoot LF.

(feeling superior to miniature format shooters is the only thing that keeps LF bros from being intensely suicidal)

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

8th-snype posted:

Oh there's a bitch in this post, but it's you. Cowboy up and shoot LF.

(feeling superior to miniature format shooters is the only thing that keeps LF bros from being intensely suicidal)

If it wasn't a old rear end speed graflex I might have enjoyed it more, also 6x7 4 lyfe.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Dunk tanks and hangers are the beez neez, I've been super happy with the evenness of the development of my DIY setup.

Gotta fix the light leak in the camera back though :smith:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Pros/cons of the Mod54 versus taco development? I think you could probably get 3-4 sheets into a tank even without the reels, and it sounds like it might be more even.

I've got Pompous Rhombus' old Mod54 tanks and reels sitting around, just haven't had the financial fortitude to spring for more film at the moment. Especially given that I still have a bunch of 120 kicking around.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

MrBlandAverage posted:

I found I only get those marks on the inner most sheets, so I just use my mod54 with 4 sheets in the outer two slots on each side and it seems to work perfectly.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pros/cons of the Mod54 versus taco development? I think you could probably get 3-4 sheets into a tank even without the reels, and it sounds like it might be more even.

I've got Pompous Rhombus' old Mod54 tanks and reels sitting around, just haven't had the financial fortitude to spring for more film at the moment. Especially given that I still have a bunch of 120 kicking around.

I have never successfully don't the taco method without leaving a mark of some kind on the film. It's not a big deal and easily spotted out in post but I would rather do 4x5 via mod54 since the surge marks are super rare for me.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

Dunk tanks and hangers are the beez neez, I've been super happy with the evenness of the development of my DIY setup.

Gotta fix the light leak in the camera back though :smith:

How much chemical do you need to use for the dunk tanks? I really love how little I have to use for rotary development. My first purchase after deciding I didn't like the MOD54 was a Jobo 2560 and 2509n reels - so 12 sheets with 750mL. Now I have the Jobo 3010 - 10 sheets with 300mL :getin:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

8th-snype posted:

I have never successfully don't the taco method without leaving a mark of some kind on the film. It's not a big deal and easily spotted out in post but I would rather do 4x5 via mod54 since the surge marks are super rare for me.

Can I ask you and MrBlandAverage how you're both doing your agitation?

When I'm trying to be gentle I usually pick the tank straight up about an inch, tilt it about 15 degrees, then gently swirl the base so it makes a cone shape. I dunno how well that will work with a double-reel setup though.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can I ask you and MrBlandAverage how you're both doing your agitation?

When I'm trying to be gentle I usually pick the tank straight up about an inch, tilt it about 15 degrees, then gently swirl the base so it makes a cone shape. I dunno how well that will work with a double-reel setup though.

If you're asking about the MOD54, I was doing two 90 degree rotations (each on a different axis) each minute, but I took 5-10 seconds to do each rotation to avoid having the sheets dislodged by liquid moving too quickly. With the Jobo tanks I'm doing continuous rotation (I have a CPP2).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
^^^ Yeah, Mod54, thanks ^^^

MrBlandAverage posted:

How much chemical do you need to use for the dunk tanks? I really love how little I have to use for rotary development. My first purchase after deciding I didn't like the MOD54 was a Jobo 2560 and 2509n reels - so 12 sheets with 750mL. Now I have the Jobo 3010 - 10 sheets with 300mL :getin:

The thing to watch here is probably total chemical volume - for example HC-110 you need 6ml of chemical per roll of film, no matter what volume of diluted solution that works out to. 10 sheets is a lot of surface area for 300ml of any developer, I'd worry that you'd deplete the chemicals in the tank.

But I guess if it works then don't change it. Might be accounted for by your time/temp.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 13, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paul MaudDib posted:

The thing to watch here is probably total chemical volume - for example HC-110 you need 6ml of chemical per roll of film, no matter what volume of diluted solution that works out to. 10 sheets is a lot of surface area for 300ml of any developer, I'd worry that you'd deplete the chemicals in the tank.

But I guess if it works then don't change it. Might be accounted for by your time/temp.

That roll of 135-36 that supposedly needs 6mL is the same surface area as 4 sheets of 4x5, which suggests a minimum of 15mL of HC-110 syrup for 10 sheets. However, I've never had a problem using dilution H and I always end up with perfectly even, low-contrast negatives. Whenever I do use a higher dilution, I tend to use a little more solution, up to 450mL (7mL syrup). I think the continuous rotation probably also makes a big difference, and I use the same dev times as for inversion, as opposed to shortening my times by 15%.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

MrBlandAverage posted:

Multiply your Jobo numbers by 10, about 3lt to fill the tank, but I tend to develop with 1:100 Rodinal. With 1:100 X-ray film will develop in around 5-6mins, and the tank can do 4 sheets of 8x10 at once or 16 4x5s. I've been looking at doing dry plates for a while and the hangers would be perfect for processing them, so there is that added flexibility with the high volume system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

• Locked thread