Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Super Princess Peach is the worst Mario universe platformer, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That game is not canon.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's not how you spell Yoshi's Story.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yoshi's Story isn't really bad, just easy. Super Princess Peach is real bad.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Yoshi's Story isn't really bad, just easy. Super Princess Peach is real bad.

I liked Super Princess Peach. :smith:

Mainly due to the lack of good platformers on the DS at the time and the novelty of Peach rescuing Mario for a change. Pretty sexist, though - mood swings as superpowers isn't exactly the most progressive way to design a platformer starring a female character.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yoshi's Story is bad if you always go for 30 melons. Those balancing games were brutal.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

64's jumps were incredibly smooth and no 3d platform game controlled better for a long time after it came out, i can just kind of hop around Mario 64 and be very quick and precise about it all, it just works perfectly except for the weird oxygen meter thing. The ways in which you had to get all the stars were really fun too. What's not to like about it?

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Asnorban posted:

Queue everyone posting their favorite Mario 64 song.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cTl0ky4DcHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqGuzSlSSIQ

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've dicked around with 3d land and have yet to play 3d world, but I think galaxy got the balance between "platforming obstacle course" and "exploring a 3d space" perfectly.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Kin posted:

Ugh, anyone who says the camera perspective in 3D World isn't an issue is a lying sack of garbage.

I'm on World bowser-7 (the one where you have to jump on the rotating smiley face cubes) and the camera is terrible. Even the super suit is uselss because it doesn't make you immune to falling into the lava.

I agree wtp

Still trying to 100% the game though.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

What about Yoshi's Universal Gravitation? That game was awful AND ugly.

Also, Super Paper Mario.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah I just played the Bayo2 demo and my jaw was basically on the floor the whole time. I wasn't any good at it and got silver bronze silver, but I didn't die. And the gameplay was comprehensible, and the tutorial section was nice. In the real game will just going through the game without getting platinums rob me of content or experience in the game or will it be fine?

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

greatn posted:

Yeah I just played the Bayo2 demo and my jaw was basically on the floor the whole time. I wasn't any good at it and got silver bronze silver, but I didn't die. And the gameplay was comprehensible, and the tutorial section was nice. In the real game will just going through the game without getting platinums rob me of content or experience in the game or will it be fine?

Nah. The best time to go for pure plats is during new game+, when you've unlocked the essential upgrades.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr Interweb posted:

Also, Super Paper Mario.

Not really a mario Platformer but the fact they ruined the Series because TTYD was so perfect makes Super Paper Mario an even worse game in the historical context.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Shibawanko posted:

64's jumps were incredibly smooth and no 3d platform game controlled better for a long time after it came out, i can just kind of hop around Mario 64 and be very quick and precise about it all, it just works perfectly except for the weird oxygen meter thing. The ways in which you had to get all the stars were really fun too. What's not to like about it?

Banjo Kazooie does everything Mario 64 did 5 times better and if you disagree you're blinded by nostalgia

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Austrian mook posted:

Banjo Kazooie does everything Mario 64 did 5 times better and if you disagree you're blinded by nostalgia

Rare 3D platformers are pretty god-awful, sorry to break it to you like this.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

kirbysuperstar posted:

Rare 3D platformers are pretty god-awful, sorry to break it to you like this.

Banjo Kazooie is one of maybe 3 or 4 games that can be considered perfect

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm replaying mario 64 as part of my "replay all the main mario games" insanity, and I'm still entranced by its addictive qualities. I'm constantly playing for one more star, one more level. The camera IS awful, but the world and actual design really do hold up.

I bought banjo kazooie when it was ported to the 360, and it held my interest for three hours. Its not bad, exactly. The port is actually VERY well done - the same guys who did the Perfect Dark port did this one too. But the level design is spartan and a bit... samey.

I'm not blinded by nostalgia; I was more of a Rare fanboy than anything else back in the nineties.

I do wonder how the ultimate collect-a-thon Donkey Kong 64 holds up, though.

Regardless, Rayman 2 gets my vote for best platformer from that era. Goddamn immaculate, that one.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Austrian mook posted:

Banjo Kazooie wasn't even perfect within the confines of its own formula.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Austrian mook posted:

drat that's a low bar you're setting for a perfect game

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Narcissus1916 posted:

It, uh, doesn't hold up that well. The constant switching between the five characters really slows down the game. The sheer amount of collectibles doesn't help either. I tried replaying it fairly recently for the first time since it was new and only got to the third level before getting frustrated and giving up.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Until today, I didn't realize there were people who didn't love Banjo-Kazooie.

What the hell is wrong with you people?!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Davinci posted:

Sunshine was the worst because you can't do a running slide jump
Wait, what? Are you talking about the long jump? Because long-jumping and slide-jumping pretty different, and Sunshine definitely has lots of sliding and jumping if you're playing it the right way.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'd say its got too many beetles, beavers, and bananas.

Also arcade games are not suited very well for playing with an N64 Joystick.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'd say its got too many beetles, beavers, and bananas.

Also arcade games are not suited very well for playing with an N64 Joystick.

You can use the D-Pad for those, too. They don't help that much though.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Silver Falcon posted:

I like Banjo Kazooie a reasonable amount, I just don't think it's at all perfect. Especially not when the game has a pretty all-or-nothing approach to the note collection.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Silver Falcon posted:

I could never get into it to be honest. I just wasn't really a big fan of its like open world platforming. Which is a little weird cause I liked Mario 64, although admittedly playing it nowadays it doesn't hold up nearly as well.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

Wait, what? Are you talking about the long jump? Because long-jumping and slide-jumping pretty different, and Sunshine definitely has lots of sliding and jumping if you're playing it the right way.

Mario 64 style where you run and then crouch and launch into a big huge jump from that. I don't know what the specific term for it is.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

allfrogs247 posted:

You can use the D-Pad for those, too. They don't help that much though.

Considering the only N64 game I ever owned that used the D-Pad in any major way was Kirby 64, I would've never thought to use it.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Considering the only N64 game I ever owned that used the D-Pad in any major way was Kirby 64, I would've never thought to use it.

Yeah, I can't remember how I found out about it. I do know I learned about it around the same as when I tried to replay it earlier this year.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mischief Makers used the d-pad. Mischief Makers needs a remake.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Davinci posted:

Mario 64 style where you run and then crouch and launch into a big huge jump from that. I don't know what the specific term for it is.

The long jump? That's still a move.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I think Banjo-Kazooie is steal real good and for the most part holds up (except notes resetting (they fix this in the XBLA version THANK GOD)).

Banjo-Tooie is one of the worst loving games ever made

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

Too much collecting poo poo, not enough bosses(neither does M64 either but i think it actually still has more), too many attempts at humour that fall flat, and some really bullshit segments like the SS Grunty engine room and randomly generated quiz answers knock it down a few pegs but yeah its pretty much peak N64 platformer. Tooie can go to hell though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

absolutely anything posted:

I think Banjo-Kazooie is steal real good and for the most part holds up (except notes resetting (they fix this in the XBLA version THANK GOD)).

Banjo-Tooie is one of the worst loving games ever made

Side note, if you play that version dont do Bottles's jigsaw minigame, because Banjo collecting notes in the puzzle movies will remove them from the game and you can never collect them.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

greatn posted:

Side note, if you play that version dont do Bottles's jigsaw minigame, because Banjo collecting notes in the puzzle movies will remove them from the game and you can never collect them.

Didn't they try fixing that like twice and ended up just telling people to not play those until after you get all the notes?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
It kind of surprises me how many people just straight-up despise Banjo-Tooie/Donkey Kong 64. I don't think either of them are perfect, DK64 has a gently caress ton of issues, but I do think they're both generally really fun 3D platforming games with cool worlds to explore and fun characters. Moreso BT, I can understand hating DK64, but it just amazes me how some people just have nothing but deep burning hatred for Rare platformers in general. I think you can do way worse. After all, they were still more fun games than Gex 2. :v:

I agree with whoever said Rayman 2 was the best, though. Rayman 2 is, and always will be, the best. :colbert:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

greatn posted:

I was a cool and smart person and didn't do those until after I beat the game, but I did get some weird thing where the leaderboards list me as having 99 jiggies when I actually have all 100.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't like the first Rayman and have no idea why it was so successful but Rayman 2 really is pretty good and probably the best non-Nintendo 3D platformer of that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

the truth posted:

The long jump? That's still a move.

It is, but his point was that it wasn't present in Sunshine.

• Locked thread