Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Now I'm totally down with the Social Justice and G-Reco's portrayal of women thus far is absolutely lousy in a distinctly tone-deaf-Tomino sort of way, but at some point you've gotta step back and show some self-awareness. Much of what you've done in the thread is take valid complaints and, through embarrassingly dramatic overreaction, made them easy to mock and ignore.

I'm basically going to quote something a moderator said about me: I'm not actually blowing things out of proportion, but the response is so blown out of proportion that everybody assumes I'm blowing things out of proportion. Rabbit ears blocking the camera? Only 5 or 6 posts and then I finally just gave up and posted a picture showing the issue. People are still losing their poo poo over it, though, even long after I conceded, to the point of buying me an avatar for something I said 2 weeks ago.

Ryas posted:

Please stop posting in this thread. You have already almost completely ruined it. Just leave. Please.

See this post by Ryas? This is an overdramatic response. Ryas could just put me on ignore but my less than a page total of posts is apparently ruining this entire thread for him. Despite this, I am the one accused repeatedly of hyperbole. I have the self-awareness to say, "Why am I outnumbered? Am I wrong?" but it turns out the opposition is people whitenoising "shut up" over and over because I pointed out their emperor is naked.

Ironically, I probably won't be posting in this thread in the future, not out of a favor to anybody, but because this show spectacularly failed the 3 episode test. It has bad storytelling, a really lovely attitude towards women seeping into every corner, messy dialogue, terrible fight choreography (the Montero's opponents didn't even try to MOVE much less shoot back at him, and that doesn't even account for the Dark Knight-quality editing during said fight), forgettable characters except for the really bad ones, passable character designs from a character designer I hate, and no real hook to encourage anybody to view other than "It was made by Tomino." All of these points have been countered with "It was made by Tomino" without actually addressing any of them. I don't have much faith for this show.

If it gets better, I can always watch it later. If it stays at this quality or gets worse, I won't have wasted my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Cool dude, see ya.

Saw a picture of the model kit for the G-Self on Twitter. Looks preeeetty nice. Kinda tempting, though I haven't gotten to actually watching Reconguista at all yet :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

People are saying this stuff because you've been making this thread about you and this is just even more of that.

Like how can you even write something like this while bragging about self awareness:

Broken Loose posted:

I have the self-awareness to say, "Why am I outnumbered? Am I wrong?" but it turns out the opposition is people whitenoising "shut up" over and over because I pointed out their emperor is naked.

(And heck, plenty of people have been addressing those points you brought up with reasons that aren't just Tomino, but you're ignoring them)

Srice fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 12, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Cool dude, see ya.

Saw a picture of the model kit for the G-Self on Twitter. Looks preeeetty nice. Kinda tempting, though I haven't gotten to actually watching Reconguista at all yet :v:

You should watch it, it's pretty good.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Broken Loose posted:

terrible fight choreography (the Montero's opponents didn't even try to MOVE much less shoot back at him)

This much, at least, is very much explained in show. They're really just not very good at fighting at all:

One of them runs face first into a bunch of bamboo. It's...It's not exactly subtle.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Incidentally, why is there bamboo in the Amazon?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Nanomachines.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Bamboo is the worst loving weed. Just spreads everywhere if you let it. Hard as gently caress to get rid of too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'd wait for the inevitable MG.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

John Carstairs posted:

This much, at least, is very much explained in show. They're really just not very good at fighting at all:

One of them runs face first into a bunch of bamboo. It's...It's not exactly subtle.

It's very interesting to me how negative the visceral reaction to this show has been, to the point people ignore all the actual content to justify their own dislike.

It's weird. I understand not liking things because it's not in your taste, it seems ridiculous to make continued posts about something you hate though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Welcome to the Gundam fanbase.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

It's very interesting to me how negative the visceral reaction to this show has been, to the point people ignore all the actual content to justify their own dislike.

It's weird. I understand not liking things because it's not in your taste, it seems ridiculous to make continued posts about something you hate though.

I don't get it either. I mean, Broken Loose man, I get it you don't like the show. That's fine! It just feels like you're ignoring what everyone is saying because you want to be ~objectively correct~ about a subjective experience.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Aida is a bad character because she cries sometimes, ignoring that she's a brash, independent-minded person with a strong sense of duty and righteousness,

People like to reduce the strength of writing for women characters for how good they are at blowing up the other robots, instead of the facets that actually generate well rounded characters.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think Tomino put a lot of thought and effort into this series, and it's all going to pay off well, hopefully. The format of his storytelling means that people are frustrated that not everything is handed to them right out of the gate though, and that's something I can empathize with, it's very much a show where you have to put the pieces together to get the big picture so far.

I'm just really surprised at how bad certain people seem to be at that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I think Tomino put a lot of thought and effort into this series, and it's all going to pay off well, hopefully. The format of his storytelling means that people are frustrated that not everything is handed to them right out of the gate though, and that's something I can empathize with, it's very much a show where you have to put the pieces together to get the big picture so far.

I'm just really surprised at how bad certain people seem to be at that.

I would say that it's fair to not have perfect faith in this. Tomino's done some great projects but he isn't flawless. I mean I love Gainer but a lot of the complaints people have about G-Reco are ones they had about Gainer too and I think G-Reco is even moreso. Plus there's always stuff like Brain Powered. IF he pulls it off, cool, but at bare minimum he's clearly having some trouble with the show's first impression.

(I mean I'm still enjoying it but like I said, Gainer is my favorite of Tomino's non-Gundam shows. That or Zambot 3.)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I would say that it's fair to not have perfect faith in this. Tomino's done some great projects but he isn't flawless. I mean I love Gainer but a lot of the complaints people have about G-Reco are ones they had about Gainer too and I think G-Reco is even moreso. Plus there's always stuff like Brain Powered. IF he pulls it off, cool, but at bare minimum he's clearly having some trouble with the show's first impression.

(I mean I'm still enjoying it but like I said, Gainer is my favorite of Tomino's non-Gundam shows. That or Zambot 3.)

Oh don't misunderstand me, I'm perfectly prepared for it to all go south at the drop of a hat, I'm just not seeing that so far.

The world was constructed at least well enough that guesses I made after seeing the first episode remained true as more of the world was revealed up into the 3rd, that gives me hope.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've seen similar complaints, or, not even complaints, but comments, made in threads about other popular things, like the Attack on Titan manga. People will bring up things about not knowing a character's motivation, or why they did a thing, when the thing JUST happened and the story is not even over.

When there's large gaps in between things, it's easy to overanalyze or overthink things, or think about things that are not immediately relevant during the wait. Personally, I have a really bad memory so I don't tend to argue about specific details as much as just laughing at things I think are silly or dumb. I do remember, and will always, however, remember Bellri pooping in the Gundam because that's really funny to me.

Here's the only things that have bothered me so far:
Raraiya Monday

Other people should, and have been bringing up things that aren't like Feminism 101 surface level analysis, which is already inherently hilarious to apply to Japanese media, let alone a medium that is basically Shrek: the TV series or Lazytown but from a culture that none of us are members of or participate in.

muike fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 12, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like Tomino but the only person in anime I'd ever give a free pass to is Yuasa.

If G-Reco does wind up being like Brain Powerd then sure, I'd rightfully talk about how much of a let down it is. But I've enjoyed these first few episodes so much that I would be incredibly surprised if it sinks that low.

Unlike where Brain Powerd was with this many episodes, I have a decent idea of what the setting entails and what the conflict is going to be about. And while Bellri's motivations are a bit quirky to me at this point in time (Which isn't a problem since like muike said, it's still in progress), I can at least say that it establishes him as being a really impulsive guy so there's that. I like most of the cast so far (the character animation helps so much in that regard, lots of nice little touches that go a long way) and yeah Raraiya could be handled better, but it seems likely that her condition is probably not permanent so I'm down with waiting and seeing where that goes before throwing stones.

And heck, I can't completely dislike Raraiya because the fact that she was watching Bellri poop while the other girls were looking away was hilarious as hell.

(I'd be down with seeing points addressed instead of generic rambling about how I only like this because of Tomino)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

What's wrong with Brain Powerd?
I've been meaning to give it a watch, 'cause the robots look silly.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

everythingWasBees posted:

What's wrong with Brain Powerd?
I've been meaning to give it a watch, 'cause the robots look silly.

It's really, really boring. It's about the personal issues of really boring people.

EDIT: I can't stress how loving boring it is enough. More has gone on in G-Reco than it feels like in the entirety of Brain Powerd.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Srice posted:

I like Tomino but the only person in anime I'd ever give a free pass to is Yuasa.

If G-Reco does wind up being like Brain Powerd then sure, I'd rightfully talk about how much of a let down it is. But I've enjoyed these first few episodes so much that I would be incredibly surprised if it sinks that low.

Unlike where Brain Powerd was with this many episodes, I have a decent idea of what the setting entails and what the conflict is going to be about. And while Bellri's motivations are a bit quirky to me at this point in time (Which isn't a problem since like muike said, it's still in progress), I can at least say that it establishes him as being a really impulsive guy so there's that. I like most of the cast so far (the character animation helps so much in that regard, lots of nice little touches that go a long way) and yeah Raraiya could be handled better, but it seems likely that her condition is probably not permanent so I'm down with waiting and seeing where that goes before throwing stones.

And heck, I can't completely dislike Raraiya because the fact that she was watching Bellri poop while the other girls were looking away was hilarious as hell.

(I'd be down with seeing points addressed instead of generic rambling about how I only like this because of Tomino)

Those little details of her doing things are really funny, but it's super heavily contrasted by the fact that's she's basically an insane drooling retard, presumably from oxygen deprivation, but no one really seems to mind. She's also just really annoying when it comes to yelling about the Gundam, and despite being so early on, I really feel like they need to go somewhere with her quickly.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I watched a little over half of Brain Powerd and to me a lot of it felt like it was being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse. It was a weird show and the sort of weird that I didn't find very interesting, outside of the occasional bits of incredibly bizarre dialogue.

Pretty great music though! And the Nagano mecha designs were sweet.

muike posted:

Those little details of her doing things are really funny, but it's super heavily contrasted by the fact that's she's basically an insane drooling retard, presumably from oxygen deprivation, but no one really seems to mind. She's also just really annoying when it comes to yelling about the Gundam, and despite being so early on, I really feel like they need to go somewhere with her quickly.

Yeah I'm hoping they do something sooner rather than later. While that stuff is definitely amusing, she's also not the only source of humor in the show so it would be nice if her character arc could pick up momentum soon.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

muike posted:

She's been gradually getting more and more active and capable, so I'm hoping they do something with her. And they're going the amnesia induced by oxygen deprivation route, so it's definitely something temporary.

With only 25ish episodes, they can't afford to keep her like that for long.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Srice posted:

I watched a little over half of Brain Powerd and to me a lot of it felt like it was being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse. It was a weird show and the sort of weird that I didn't find very interesting, outside of the occasional bits of incredibly bizarre dialogue.

Pretty great music though! And the Nagano mecha designs were sweet.

Yeah, one of my friends was watching me play SRWJ and they asked me what the powers of all the mechs that he didn't recognize were.
Combattler V: Fights with yoyos
Zeorymer: Basically a robot god that teleports and nukes the planet then regenerates all the damage that got through the god shield.
Brain Powerd: Best theme song.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

She's been gradually getting more and more active and capable, so I'm hoping they do something with her. And they're going the amnesia induced by oxygen deprivation route, so it's definitely something temporary.

If I'm allowed to go hailmary guesses, it's going to be in the next 6, and she'll have been part of a 3rd party faction that's antagonistic in nature the entire time.

Tomino seems to like recycling concepts in this show, so I'm just imagining something similar to Cynthia's arc from Gainer, like he'll give it another shake.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Yeah, but at this point I'm kind of afraid she'll be in gibbering brain damage land for the rest of the show. Maybe she'll end up about as sane as Tem Ray, which would be a step up. Even if she remains brain damaged a sense of agency from her instead of basically being a moeblob character in a moe-free world

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

muike posted:

Yeah, but at this point I'm kind of afraid she'll be in gibbering brain damage land for the rest of the show. Maybe she'll end up about as sane as Tem Ray, which would be a step up. Even if she remains brain damaged a sense of agency from her instead of basically being a moeblob character in a moe-free world

I think that the amnesia is supposed to be the extent of the brain damage. And that's something that people recover from. The characters around her have given no reaction as if she's stuck like that, and I feel like that's something that would've come up.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Oh my god if she's intended to be like that I'm not going to like her and Tomino WILL be hearing about this!!

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

John Carstairs posted:

Except that doesn't excuse bad fights. It only justifies things like "Genius" there flying into bamboo, not the horrendous Montero where a few scenes were static images of the combatants flying across the screen. People being unskilled at war should make for better fight scenes, where people are loving up, tripping and not piloting well, not boring fights like the ones in Reco. I'd say they were grasping at nostalgia with budget cutting animation stuff, like the Montero's awful looking heat whip, if it wasn't for the cool scene of the Grimoire shooting the shield and the shell casing smashing the streetlight.

If I want cool fights I can watch TRY, sure, but it's still kind of a let down and is part of what makes this show so mediocre for me.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 12, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

muike posted:

Every episode she's been consistently getting more coherent. I'd be shocked if she stays a moeblob, but then again I don't know Tomino so--

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

If I'm allowed to go hailmary guesses, it's going to be in the next 6, and she'll have been part of a 3rd party faction that's antagonistic in nature the entire time.

And her sudden memory-recall will begin with her shooting someone popular in the face before going fully-evil.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

NotALizardman posted:

Except that doesn't excuse bad fights. It only justifies things like "Genius" there flying into bamboo, it doesn't justify the horrendous Montero fight.

For the record it was one of the ground based Recksnows that crashed into bamboo, not the Montero.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Every episode she's been consistently getting more coherent. I'd be shocked if she stays a moeblob, but then again I don't know Tomino so--

Like I said, Puru.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

For the record it was one of the ground based Recksnows that crashed into bamboo, not the Montero.

Oh right, he ordered the base jabber to clip some trees. Whoops!

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
That's great and all, but I am not at all surprised that it took the dudes who couldn't even swerve out of the way of a bamboo grove more than the few seconds it took Klim to cut off their feet to find the "turn thing around" button. That's just verisimilitude! :v:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Like I said, Puru.

I'm not familiar with a Puru.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Potsticker posted:

purupuru

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

muike posted:

purupuru

excuse me its pronounced ple and furthermore

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

muike posted:

The only babbling she did this episode was more being upset at being confined and looking to Bell and Noredo for help. Prior to that she was just examining the G-Self before falling asleep with a pillow on the barrel of it's gun, and more interestingly to me at least, afterwards when they went to hijack the G-Self, she was the first to try and enter it before Aida pulled her back, and once she was inside, spent the majority of any cockpit scenes looking around. The first scene in the cockpit she seems to be checking under the chair for instance, like she's looking for something. Her words have also started to make a bit more sense, since she said the word "trip" just before they boarded the unit, to well...go on a trip. It makes me hope she's back to normal within the next couple of episodes honestly. Whatever normal is for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Potsticker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PouA2_Y7vHs

Features creepy bullshit as a pre-click warning.

• Locked thread