Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tenzarin posted:

FF12 took place in Ivalice, the same world as Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story.

FF12 is a fantasy role playing game where you play as the story's protagonist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

FF12 is a fantasy role playing game where you play as the story's protagonist!

it's a fantasy role playing game in the sense that you fantasize about playing something else while your guys hack away at a bat for 30 gotdamn minutes. jesus christ what an abortion.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Apparently the International edition is legitimately good or something.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Butt Ghost posted:

That's the version I played, man! Even with the fast forward function on at all times the boss fights still took forever and it barely felt like a game, amazing art direction and score notwithstanding.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Butt Ghost posted:

It's a real improvement yeah. That's why it'd be nice to see an HD'ed version because they'd more than likely include the international version which means no more fuckery to play it.

They added a ton of stuff for the international version in any case.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Final Fantasy 12 is legitimately good. I loved it. But then again I also loved 7, 8, 9, 10 and liked 13. The only FF games I couldn't bring myself to enjoy were 2 and 3.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Butt Ghost posted:

I haven't played it, but I would be surprised if it was a significant improvement over the base game. The more limited classes do make things more difficult (you don't have three people who can do literally everything simultaneously), but it's still a combat system built largely around the assumption of automation. Dragon Age: Origins had a similar problem, where most fights consisted of me manipulating a single character to get powerful magic off as the rest of my party clowned around somewhere, run by a fixed state machine.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

So at this point MH4 is Monster Hunter x Metroid x Animal Crossing x Final Fantasy

what is happening

Don't forget Mario, Sonic and Mega Man are in this mess too.
Super Smash Monster Hunters.

e:

Blattdorf posted:

Fun fact: the FFXIII port uses only a single core and that's why the framerate fluctuates so often.

I hope this can be fixed.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Switching it to using multiple cores is probably not a trivial patch. Considering the state of Square pc ports I you shouldn't hold your breath. They've stunk all the way back to the first ff7 port.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Mischitary posted:

FF13 has an amazing soundtrack. The other games in the 13 series are a lot more, uh, experimental for FF soundtracks so they aren't as widely loved, but I'd still call them good.

Lightning Returns doesn't have the "best" soundtrack of the trio (I think that 13 does) but it's probably my favorite.

http://youtu.be/UH4YGpr8t4E

http://youtu.be/HYi2l1XVeQM

http://youtu.be/VLDTrv-pFPE

And this one is probably my favorite on the soundtrack and one of my favorite tracks from any FF game:

http://youtu.be/LFuwRYUXRZc

I really like this cheery indie rock theme that plays when you're on your way to punch Noel in the face, and then again when you're breaking into Yusnaan to punch Snow in the face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQdKkvERi6c

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

I really like this cheery indie rock theme that plays when you're on your way to punch Noel in the face, and then again when you're breaking into Yusnaan to punch Snow in the face.

Hell I even like the final boss music. Even though upon first hearing it, it might sound like every other generic One-Winged Angel knock-off I think it has a lot in common with tracks like Nova Crysalia and Glittering City of Yusnaan in that it sounds kind of "off" in a way that I really enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO8DzhYNFYI

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mischitary posted:

Hell I even like the final boss music. Even though upon first hearing it, it might sound like every other generic One-Winged Angel knock-off I think it has a lot in common with tracks like Nova Crysalia and Glittering City of Yusnaan in that it sounds kind of "off" in a way that I really enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO8DzhYNFYI

Sounds very El Shaddai-ish at times. It's alright. I prefer it over the combined yawn-fest of Born Anew/Nascent Requiem. It doesn't top Heart of Chaos though. :colbert:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 12, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
SPEAKING OF EL-SHADDAI.

Enoch is totally Cecil.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
So, I've been playing a bit of the PC FFXIII release (instead of other "better" games) and doing so in Japanese voices. Between Japanese voices and decent graphics and frames through gedasato, the game is feeling a lot better to me vs PS3 version I dropped. I am only a few hours in but the Japanese dialogue flows a lot better even though I only understand around 50%-60% of that (rest through subs).

Specifically, Lightning, Hope and Snow are actually a lot better as characters to me. Snow is still an idiot but he is supposed to be one, and Hope is a teen and those are dumb de facto. Corridors or not, it was apparently the English voice direction that killed the game for me the first time around, who would have thought. Should have gotten the Asian dual-pack version but would have never guessed that since I never had this happen when I import and play dubs afterwards (Ni No Kuni, Xillia, Vesperia - well dub first here, etc...).

I still dislike the linear path, the dialogues are not great by any means, Vanille's voice is still annoying in Japanese, shops/towns/NPCs are still gone. I also wish there were more combat options right off the bat. Overall, the game is actually not as bad as when I played before, I'd upgrade to 7/7.5 from 6. God, and I was arguing reverse just a day ago. Square killed this game with their localization. :smith:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

Hope spends half the goddamn game joking with or making fun of Lightning.

I mean that's a writing problem because the emotionless thing in LR never makes sense but it's a real stretch to characterize him that way in LR.

Oh yeah you're right. When I wrote that I only though of the scenes where you talk to him directly. He's alright when you're running around in the field. The fact that most of his gifts to Lighting are skimpy clothing is kind of odd, though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm not sure if people in Final Fantasy have any concept of skimpy clothing.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm not sure if people in Final Fantasy have any concept of skimpy clothing.

What about the proper usage of belts?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

See, I'm the opposite as I really played this game for the first time. The pacing is poo poo, the game is halfway done chapter-wise and there is basically nothing happening except awkward character "development." The levels are bad and laughable anyone tried to defend the linearity because of plot reasons, it's badly designed no matter the circumstances. I am probably not exaggerating in saying the average hour has me go past no less than double-digit save points including half of those from the game itself.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I really enjoyed what XIII had to offer on paper. I thought the environments and some of the characters had neat designs and could be worked into something decent.

I don't think this would ever happen but I'd love if someone took what XIII had and remade the game into something different. Clean up the story, less linearity, more action oriented battle system (that's just my preference though).

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tae posted:

See, I'm the opposite as I really played this game for the first time. The pacing is poo poo, the game is halfway done chapter-wise and there is basically nothing happening except awkward character "development." The levels are bad and laughable anyone tried to defend the linearity because of plot reasons, it's badly designed no matter the circumstances. I am probably not exaggerating in saying the average hour has me go past no less than double-digit save points including half of those from the game itself.

Oh, no doubt. Levels/combat get a bit better in the future but I haven't gotten that far. The first few chapters certainly are not great by any stretch of imagination. However, take that and imagine it being a lot worse because of localization and VA direction. I am not saying it's an amazing game, but it's certainly a lot more bearable for me now.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I loaded up 13-2 after not playing 7 hours in 2012 apparently. That was a mistake.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know if its been posted about in this thread before but if it hasn't, everyone should go read ffvii_blazed.

You can thank me later.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I will never buy a FF on PC again after 7. They are comically bad ports. On superior hardware they turn out inferior. I remember FF7 only worked decent 3dfx cards (which at the time seemed VEEERY questionable). The game had to be ran in software mode which was a giant loving train wreck. I can't believe I suffered as far through that game as I did. Remember how long some of the summons were? Not double that. That is how slow...everything was.

Someone released a patch so it would run on other cards like my NVIDIA TNT and all I remember is that the game looked awesome and ran fast but any 2d backgrounds outside of battle didn't load and were black.

At this point you can probably play FFXIII on an emulator. I was play FFXII on 2560x1440 2 years ago and it looked awesome. Don't give SE any money for a PC port.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As iffy as the XIII port is, holding a grudge for a port that was released over a decade ago seems harsh.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
good luck emulating the playstation three

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The best thing about FFVII PC is the plethora of mods for it. I am playing a new difficulty mod called "New Threat" right now that changes up the gameplay a good deal, making characters more unique and so-on. Plus added minibosses and such. I'm not very far, only at Wall Market, but it looks very intriguing. There are apparently full playthroughs of it on YT.

In the event I beat this mod, I plan to do another run of the game with graphical mods. Replaying VII with the new fan translation, different battle and field models, a different soundtrack (seriously, there are like four or five of them to choose from), it will be something new and fresh. That's what I really want out of VII mods - something that can make a game I love feel different enough to motivate me to play it again.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

The best thing about FFVII PC is the plethora of mods for it. I am playing a new difficulty mod called "New Threat" right now that changes up the gameplay a good deal, making characters more unique and so-on. Plus added minibosses and such. I'm not very far, only at Wall Market, but it looks very intriguing. There are apparently full playthroughs of it on YT.

In the event I beat this mod, I plan to do another run of the game with graphical mods. Replaying VII with the new fan translation, different battle and field models, a different soundtrack (seriously, there are like four or five of them to choose from), it will be something new and fresh. That's what I really want out of VII mods - something that can make a game I love feel different enough to motivate me to play it again.

Stuff like this makes it all worth it even if the port is sub par.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I can't wait for the translation patch that turns FFVII into FFVII: BLOOD MATERIA.

The black coat angel devil stalked the land in an elephantine proletariat that spread its gene discoloured phantasmic pinions to the furthest edge of the steeping corners of the morassed world grown still and decadent in its gloaming epoch and where the sephirot roamed there gave chase a fleeting murmur of a cloud that somebody had pissed out onto the atmosphere that the death howl of the wind picked up and scattered its (im)materia(l) essence til at last that roving debris accrued itself to the Midgar city prison where switchblade plots danced and hosed into each other to sate their plotter's avidity.

I really like Cormac McCarthy ok

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I want Iscar in FF13

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

dreffen posted:

What about the proper usage of belts?

When I saw those Nomura-designed Monster Hunter armor sets it reminds me of back when he said in an interview that the reason he gave Lulu the belt dress was so he could challenge the guys making the 3D models to get every belt exactly right.

Skeezy posted:

I really enjoyed what XIII had to offer on paper. I thought the environments and some of the characters had neat designs and could be worked into something decent.

I don't think this would ever happen but I'd love if someone took what XIII had and remade the game into something different. Clean up the story, less linearity, more action oriented battle system (that's just my preference though).

At the very beginning of FFXIII's development, the story guys at S-E definitely (in my opinion of course) came up with something that could've been special but with the way the game ended up progressing in development it was all squandered. The Fabula Nova Crystalis, as lame as that name sounds nowadays, was actually a very ambitious project that could've worked really well had they had good games to set inside the mythology.

The actual mythology was written in such an interesting way. It really did sound like a myth. Stuff like Bhunivelze defeating his mother Muin and banishing her to the "invisible world" all sounds so weird and interesting but only as a myth. When you explain it all too much and then turn Bhunivelze into another cackling FF villain it ruins everything, sadly. I actually think as far as the FNC mythology goes, FF13 did it perfect in that it went just far enough but didn't explain everything too much. I actually think the whole thing about Etro saving the team at the end of the game maybe goes slightly too far but everything else is perfect. Not to say the story itself is really any good, but the way they handled the FNC stuff was top notch in that it was a story set within the FNC mythos but wasn't completely about the mythos. They slowly started to ruin it in 13-2 and LR though, first by actually showing the "invisible world", or the "unseen world" as they call it and turning what was cool flavor and background into the main plotline, and then in LR it was ruined completely by having Bhunivelze be just another dude who was evil and you could kill him.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

At this point you can probably play FFXIII on an emulator.

:laffo: at emulating the loving Cell or Xenon well at all this decade

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

I will never buy a FF on PC again after 7. They are comically bad ports. On superior hardware they turn out inferior. I remember FF7 only worked decent 3dfx cards (which at the time seemed VEEERY questionable). The game had to be ran in software mode which was a giant loving train wreck. I can't believe I suffered as far through that game as I did. Remember how long some of the summons were? Not double that. That is how slow...everything was.

Someone released a patch so it would run on other cards like my NVIDIA TNT and all I remember is that the game looked awesome and ran fast but any 2d backgrounds outside of battle didn't load and were black.

At this point you can probably play FFXIII on an emulator. I was play FFXII on 2560x1440 2 years ago and it looked awesome. Don't give SE any money for a PC port.
You know, going for 3dfx at a moment in time when Voodoo & Voodoo2 cards were hot poo poo for their 3dfx wasn't 'questionable'. Heck, UNREAL 1 was released not long before FF7's PC port and it also went full on 3dfx. Direct 3D, which your RIVA TNT was all about, didn't get anywhere near the traction 3dfx had for another year or so. You simply backed the wrong horse back in the day and shove the blame on the developer for supporting what was the biggest standard at the time.

The port was alright, nothing special, but certainly nothing that you'd get burned from for the next 15 years.

Batham fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 12, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

At this point you can probably play FFXIII on an emulator.

The current PC port of 7 is fine except the midi music and you know basically nothing about PC gaming or emulation if you think we'll be emulating the last gen console anytime soon.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

kirbysuperstar posted:

:laffo: at emulating the loving Cell or Xenon well at all this decade

Actually there is a working Cell emulator, called RPCS3.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/rpcs3-is-a-new-ps3-emulator-still-in-early-stage-boots-commercial-game/
https://github.com/DHrpcs3/rpcs3

There is a thread on neogaf talking about the subject. Devs are booting up some games and actually are able to play a bit as well. So we will see it this decade, IMO. Now, that's just a cool aside and yeah, not happening any time soon.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well I was farming for Chocobuckle in FF7 when my game crashed, putting me back to before leaving Midgar. Guess I won't be touching this file ever again.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Red Suit posted:

Well I was farming for Chocobuckle in FF7 when my game crashed, putting me back to before leaving Midgar. Guess I won't be touching this file ever again.

You mean farming for Chocobuckle around the Chocobo farm, like, right near Midgar? It really shouldn't take you that long to get back if you button-mash your way through the Kalm flashback dialog.

Also, c'mon, it's an RPG- save often.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Also chocobuckle is lame.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

oblomov posted:

Actually there is a working Cell emulator, called RPCS3.

Keyword: well

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If Curtain Call reminded me of anything it's that 13 actually had really good music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If Curtain Call reminded me of anything it's that 13 actually had really good music.

I really liked Desperate Struggle, the music that plays when you fight a hunt Boss.