Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm at the part where Hope is talking about killing Snow, and Lightning keeps telling him that it was Sanctum and he keeps going Nuh Uh still gonna shank him as I creepily open the knife in and out in and out in and out

Still going be alive for the trilogy, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hope is voiced by Greg from Everybody Hates Chris so I am happy he stuck around.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

I'm at the part where Hope is talking about killing Snow, and Lightning keeps telling him that it was Sanctum and he keeps going Nuh Uh still gonna shank him as I creepily open the knife in and out in and out in and out

Still going be alive for the trilogy, huh

I love that Lightning's reaction to all of this is "Yeah...okay here's the knife he gave me as a birthday present, not gonna say a word to discourage you stabbing him with it." She either believes that Hope doesn't have the balls to do it (Which is wrong, it takes the enemy firing a dragon at them to stop him) or that Snow wouldn't let it happen (also wrong). Or maybe she wanted him to get stabbed?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh good, now I'm at "I'll call this Operation Nora because it is both my mother's name and the ironic thing that will kill Snow" *opens and closes knife for the 50th time in 3 cutscenes*

People actually like this shithead, or they only "like" him in comparison to Snow

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Tae posted:

Oh good, now I'm at "I'll call this Operation Nora because it is both my mother's name and the ironic thing that will kill Snow" *opens and closes knife for the 50th time in 3 cutscenes*

People actually like this shithead, or they only "like" him in comparison to Snow

He's a depressed teenager with severe PTSD, of course his coping mechanisms are gonna appear loving insane. If it was done correctly his character arc could be really good, but like all things FF13 they're so close to doing something neat but failing to execute it properly :(

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I love that Lightning's reaction to all of this is "Yeah...okay here's the knife he gave me as a birthday present, not gonna say a word to discourage you stabbing him with it." ...

Or maybe she wanted him to get stabbed?

The answer to that is yes. She would very much like for him to be stabbed. Not sure she wanted Hope to become a murderer, but if the end result is Snow getting stabbed I'm sure she wouldn't mind all that much. Snow's special ability is to say and do all the things that will piss Lightning off.

Can't really blame Hope for wanting Snow dead, considering what happened. Can't really expect him to act rational about it.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 11, 2014

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hope was a lot cooler in XIII-2, and I'm sad about what they did to him in LR.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Moldy Taxes posted:

Hope was a lot cooler in XIII-2, and I'm sad about what they did to him in LR.

What did they do to him in LR?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

They changed his design back to his FFXIII design but otherwise he still basically acts like Science Pope, just with a bigger emphasis on the Pope part.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Pureauthor posted:

Major spoilers here.
He was an adult in FF13-2, but for LR they turned him back into a kid. They also made him a completely emotionless and boring exposition robot. Turns out that "God" was controlling/manipulating Hope for over a hundred years in order to spy on Lightning and learning about humans (since he doesn't understand them). When Lightning starts being rebelious God eats Hope's soul and takes over his body completely to use as a mouthpiece. When push comes to shove God also destroys Hope's body just to piss Lightning off. Then there's the ending which I won't spoil because it's pure uninhibited stupidity which makes it kind of awesome actually.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 11, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Major spoilers here.
He was an adult in FF13-2, but for LR they turned him back into a kid. They also made him a completely emotionless and boring exposition robot. Turns out that "God" was controlling/manipulating Hope for over a hundred years in order to spy on Lightning and learning about humans (since he doesn't understand them). When Lightning starts being rebelious God eats Hope's soul and takes over his body completely to use as a mouthpiece. When push comes to shove God also destroys Hope's body just to piss Lightning off. Then there's the ending which I won't spoil because it's pure uninhibited stupidity which makes it kind of awesome actually.

Hope spends half the goddamn game joking with or making fun of Lightning.

I mean that's a writing problem because the emotionless thing in LR never makes sense but it's a real stretch to characterize him that way in LR.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 11, 2014

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

ImpAtom posted:

Hope spends half the goddamn game joking with or making fun of Lightning.

One of my favorite bits is the scene where Lightning has finally managed to get some fireworks from one of the chocobo girls and it's really obvious Hope is barely containing his laughter. It's a dumb game, but there are times when that pays off.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is 70% repeating events that happened in Final Fantasy IV, albeit with different characters. Also, almost every single boss in FFIV is a boss in The After Years, though at least they're rebalanced appropriately.

The only way FF4:TAY could get any worse would be if it was remade and Alba from FFD was the main character.

Rirse posted:

Suikoden II improved a lot of things from the first game, but the mostly the same combat with some quality of life changes like more runes slots. Only major change was the new major battle system, which was a downgrade since it barely worked.

Except It's the best major battle system in the entire series. The first game's system was just Rock-Paper-Scissors, S3's was moving around for regular battles, which you could break with a wall+firefly rune combo, while 5's was a real time take on 2's system. There might've been a Suikoden 4 game but it would've been poo poo and its major battle system would've been the easiest to steamroll.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Has there ever been a JRPG sequel that was significantly similar to its predecessor? All the ones I can think of make drastic changes to the plot and battle systems, when what everyone really wants out of popular JRPG sequels is more of the same.

Basically Dragon Quest. The series is very iterative, so while the series has evolved a fair bit over the years, from one game to the next things haven't changed up too dramatically. Some class systems are about as big as it gets. They all play about the same despite those mechanical features.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Renoistic posted:

Snow's special ability is to say and do all the things that will piss Lightning off.

I'm amazed more people don't manage to do that. Maybe that's why they never had Lightning/Vanille segments; she'd go ballistic in under two minutes.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

CeallaSo posted:

One of my favorite bits is the scene where Lightning has finally managed to get some fireworks from one of the chocobo girls and it's really obvious Hope is barely containing his laughter. It's a dumb game, but there are times when that pays off.

LR was definitely the most fun I had with any game in the FF13 series. It seemingly had all the right stuff for me to be interested in it. Like the fact that you could dress up Lightning was thoroughly mocked when it was revealed because of Motomu Toriyama's raging boner for Lightning but in games like Saints Row the best part for me was going around and seeing all the weird poo poo you could put on your dudes. I don't know what it was about that game but I just played it and played it, I remember I played the game for like 4 hours doing nothing but killing Chocobo Eaters over and over again until they became extinct. It was a rush because I knew exactly how to do it so that I could kill them in like 10 seconds but if I messed up just a little I'd get my rear end kicked.

I also liked how Snow basically became an emo goth, started wearing black and just sitting in his room all day when he wasn't raving.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm amazed more people don't manage to do that. Maybe that's why they never had Lightning/Vanille segments; she'd go ballistic in under two minutes.

I think in Vanille's case, it's a combination of "yeah, sure, whatever, I don't care" and "huh, she kinda reminds me of my kid sister". I could see her getting frustrated with Vanille, but not in the same way that she's downright angry at Snow. Because he's not just a jackass, he's the jackass who is also her brother-in-law.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i have no idea how anyone can dislike snow, his progression throughout the FFXIII series is amazing

From HERO to time travelling redneck to immortal king of party city, he's the best

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So how well utilized is the soundtrack in FF13? One of the main reasons I enjoy FF7 is its wonderful soundtrack. In fact, if it was muted I would probably wouldn't care for it much at all.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It's pretty good, but it's impossible to compete with hot midi jams.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

So how well utilized is the soundtrack in FF13? One of the main reasons I enjoy FF7 is its wonderful soundtrack. In fact, if it was muted I would probably wouldn't care for it much at all.

the soundtrack is pretty good.

also catchy, ~step into the rainbow~

The worst part is that while the battle theme is really good it's like a minute of build up which isn't great for a battle theme

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Has there ever been a JRPG sequel that was significantly similar to its predecessor? All the ones I can think of make drastic changes to the plot and battle systems, when what everyone really wants out of popular JRPG sequels is more of the same.

Star Ocean 1 -> Star Ocean 2. The battle system in SO2 was basically the same thing, except the battlefield wasn't in a fixed-camera arena equal to the size of the SNES's screen resolution. The first half of SO2 was the entirety of Star Ocean 1... and the first half of SO3 was also the entirety of SO1 :downs:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

the soundtrack is pretty good.

also catchy, ~step into the rainbow~

The worst part is that while the battle theme is really good it's like a minute of build up which isn't great for a battle theme

Lightning Returns has a remix that starts off with the part after all the build up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqoeVm5fZuQ

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Renoistic posted:

The answer to that is yes. She would very much like for him to be stabbed. Not sure she wanted Hope to become a murderer, but if the end result is Snow getting stabbed I'm sure she wouldn't mind all that much. Snow's special ability is to say and do all the things that will piss Lightning off.

Doesn't seem that way so far. Lightning compliments Snow a bit (middleish of chapter 4) despite still not liking his attitude, but she has an attitude of respect.

Also probably harping a bit too much, but Snow calls Lightning his sister even when he's completely isolated on the Guardian Corps ship while the english subtitle says Lightning. I don't know if that's a cultural thing or they took out the element of Snow really treating her as family throughout the entire game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

The only one I can think of that makes drastic changes is FFX-2. And, uh, Tales of Symphonia 2, I guess?

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.

They're about as dissimilar as X and X-2.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Help Im Alive posted:

Lightning Returns has a remix that starts off with the part after all the build up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqoeVm5fZuQ

Heh, I've never played LR but I already know exactly how that track goes without listening to it because of Curtain Call.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Suikoden II had some UI improvements and that's about it.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Pokemon

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think what makes FF13's big weird poorly explained mythology dumb is that FF games have never really had much of a mythology beyond "well uh there's some crystals and...?"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I think what makes FF13's big weird poorly explained mythology dumb is that FF games have never really had much of a mythology beyond "well uh there's some crystals and...?"

FFX had a pretty good mythology about exploring the death culture, and I don't remember any crystals so it has that going as well.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't like Hope or Snow in the first game, but the interactions they had together were pretty drat funny. That scene where Snow says only stupid people die was amazing.

Also, something I still don't understand. When Lightning and Fang first meet, she tells Lightning a story and then Lightning punches her in the face, and says it's up to Serah to forgive them. What did she tell her? It couldn't be how they became L'cie again, because that only turned Dahj into one.

edit: Also, X had crystals so to speak, they were the Aeons.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Not really. X and XII seem to have a lot of that stuff in particular.

Adrammalech posted:

“Emperor among the scions, able to reduce to nothing aught he strikes with a single vengeful blow of his fist, created in opposition to Deudalephon the Benevolent, scion of light. Though he was made by the gods to quell the fiends that raged in the Otherworld, his immense strength and fearsome visage drew the fiends to his side, and turned him against his creators. Adrammelech rose to prominence in the Otherworld, whence he led a fiendish horde against the gods, but in the end, he was defeated.”

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Pretty much every Final Fantasy since like the SNES era has had some kind of weird mythology. In some cases it gets stupid in-depth like how the entire plot of FFVIII and the Sorceress stuff is based around some guy who is mentioned like once in your school desk at the start of the game.

Momomo posted:

Also, something I still don't understand. When Lightning and Fang first meet, she tells Lightning a story and then Lightning punches her in the face, and says it's up to Serah to forgive them. What did she tell her? It couldn't be how they became L'cie again, because that only turned Dahj into one.

The entire reason Serah became a l'cie is because Vanille woke up and wandered out. Basically everything that happened is because Fang and Vanille were wandering around trying to figure out how to circumvent their plot.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 11, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The XII Lore is great because the main story doesn't hide any of it from you. It's just that the added info you get from killing all the monsters and poo poo fills in the details.

Like how the Espers and Occuria went to war thousands of years ago. Fran mentions that in a cutscene and it's expanded upon in a few of the optional things. I never even bothered to get those, just read them online. Interesting stuff. Then again, I thought the Occuria were a great element of XII's story. They aren't just "evil gods" as in typical fantasy fashion. They're kinda just jerks and they're jerks with a reasonable motive and objective. Plus I have always wondered about why they loving waved a war with the Espers way back when and have enough Nethicite in Giruvegan to blow up the planet yet they only choose to manipulate from the shadows.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Momomo posted:

I don't like Hope or Snow in the first game, but the interactions they had together were pretty drat funny. That scene where Snow says only stupid people die was amazing.

:mad: You think it's stupid to fight?
:) It is if you get killed.
:mad: :stare:
:) Anyway, just lay low. Let the dummies duke it out. The army's no match for NORA, right?
:mad: :catstare:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
FF12 took place in Ivalice, the same world as Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

FF13 has an amazing soundtrack. The other games in the 13 series are a lot more, uh, experimental for FF soundtracks so they aren't as widely loved, but I'd still call them good.

Lightning Returns doesn't have the "best" soundtrack of the trio (I think that 13 does) but it's probably my favorite.

http://youtu.be/UH4YGpr8t4E

http://youtu.be/HYi2l1XVeQM

http://youtu.be/VLDTrv-pFPE

And this one is probably my favorite on the soundtrack and one of my favorite tracks from any FF game:

http://youtu.be/LFuwRYUXRZc

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Fun fact: the FFXIII port uses only a single core and that's why the framerate fluctuates so often.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Nomura doing stuff for Monster Hunter:

The little cat-thing is dressed as Amano's version of the FF1 Fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

So at this point MH4 is Monster Hunter x Metroid x Animal Crossing x Final Fantasy

what is happening