Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pretty Borders seem to be the thing that everyone in the Byzantine Republic can agree on across all party lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Man those borders in Avalon?/North America are ugly.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Danann posted:

Pretty Borders seem to be the thing that everyone in the Byzantine Republic can agree on across all party lines.

Nope, not this guy. Paradox games are actually not capable of rendering borders of the level of ugliness i expect.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Do I need all the expansions and stuff to test the mod out? I picked up the base game some time ago but never got all the bells and whistles.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

GrabbinPeels posted:

Do I need all the expansions and stuff to test the mod out? I picked up the base game some time ago but never got all the bells and whistles.

With V2 you do not want to go without the two addons, apart from needing them for the mod, they make the entire game a whole lot better.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hahaha. Fascism emerged out of the Lenape in this test game. I hope they are still bitter over losing territory to Ayiti and Lai Ang from 60 years ago.

Zheng He Bay or War! :black101: (or not-Pennsylvania :v: if they go after the Ayiti).

Not that, uh, they actually have the capacity to challenge either of those powers.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I've only played a few years of the mod (not even up to 1840 crash yet) but just by looking at the opening scenario:

-single province USCA in the middle of Hapsburg
-There's a few wars from the original NNM still happening at the start. Most notable is that the Aztecs are at war with Texas (which doesn't exist, I guess the Aztecs took the MEX tag) and the Ottomans are at war with Tripoli (of which neither exist).
-The Iroquois are a Primitive Nation, I don't know if this is WAD or not.
-I think Somalia was supposed to have built the Suez Canal in the middle ages in this game? Because the Suez canal doesn't exist at game start, I'm not sure if thats WAD or not either.

more when I see it/think of it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

MinistryofLard posted:

I've only played a few years of the mod (not even up to 1840 crash yet) but just by looking at the opening scenario:

-single province USCA in the middle of Hapsburg
-There's a few wars from the original NNM still happening at the start. Most notable is that the Aztecs are at war with Texas (which doesn't exist, I guess the Aztecs took the MEX tag) and the Ottomans are at war with Tripoli (of which neither exist).
-The Iroquois are a Primitive Nation, I don't know if this is WAD or not.
-I think Somalia was supposed to have built the Suez Canal in the middle ages in this game? Because the Suez canal doesn't exist at game start, I'm not sure if thats WAD or not either.

more when I see it/think of it.

Iroquois are meant to be an unciv and I haven't gotten around to re-adding the Suez Canal yet, but that other stuff is bugs.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

*raises hand tentatively*

I've only played a little, but should there really be that many more Turks than Greeks in the Anatolian Coastal provinces? I mean if memory serves they were never under Turkish rule for very long in this LP, so you'd assume that the original Greek communities would have held out much longer.

Also I'm really hoping there's a way to get the Southern Italians as an accepted culture, because having such a large chunk of the population disenfranchised and constantly angry at their elected government is a little frustrating.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Chinese Strategy in the First Great War

The 1890s saw the First Great War break out between the Sino-Japanese Alliance and the Near Western Pact of Ghana, Somalia, and Great Britain and its dominions. To this day, military historians and scholars are struck by the Chinese Empire's unique war strategy.

1.) Raise the largest army in human history.
2.) Have it sit in the Chinese countryside, doing nothing, while your Japanese allies are slaughtered in Africa.
3.) Lose and suffer 2x Great War Capitulations in spite of not participating in a single major battle.

It turns out China is not a very good ally. :v:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

If that sounds bad, wait until they end up at war with Russia and somehow lose despite having 2000-3000 brigades of troops.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewind posted:

Chinese Strategy in the First Great War

The 1890s saw the First Great War break out between the Sino-Japanese Alliance and the Near Western Pact of Ghana, Somalia, and Great Britain and its dominions. To this day, military historians and scholars are struck by the Chinese Empire's unique war strategy.

1.) Raise the largest army in human history.
2.) Have it sit in the Chinese countryside, doing nothing, while your Japanese allies are slaughtered in Africa.
3.) Lose and suffer 2x Great War Capitulations in spite of not participating in a single major battle.

It turns out China is not a very good ally. :v:

The Way of Wu has been forgotten, due to China's extreme dominance in the Way of Wei.

Alternatively, that army is mostly for parades.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

In general, the AI seems like it doesn't really know what to do with China, either-- it lost like three wars against East Hindustan with tons and tons and tons of troops remaining in the field, and then barely won the fourth. The Great War thing is semi-understandable since the Chinese Navy isn't so great, but they share a lengthy land border with East Hindustan. It's like they don't know how to deal with such an absurdly inflated army.

Probably good news for balancing the mod, even if it's bad news for me in this particular game as China's ally.

EDIT: c. the 1920s China looks poised to finish as the number one GP (although it hardly had number one on lockdown-- at various points in the game it was France, Great Britain, Lai Ang, East Hindustan, and probably some others I'm forgetting) at least partially because of its huge army, though, so I guess it's good for one thing. Then again, I'm number two because I'm just spamming dreadnoughts endlessly, so. :china: :japan:

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 12, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GSD posted:

The Way of Wu has been forgotten, due to China's extreme dominance in the Way of Wei.

Way of Wei? I'm just imagining an army of Hong Kong cops getting ready to break some arms and legs.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Jeoh posted:

Way of Wei? I'm just imagining an army of Hong Kong cops getting ready to break some arms and legs.

The Chinese war goal of impaling the British on the contents of a crate of swordfish turned out to be a failure, and the millions of swordfish purchased from the global shipping industry was deemed a grievous misallocation of war resources.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I appear to have been reading too much Daoism lately, and got my Wus mixed up. Wu-wei and Wu an Wen are not the same thing. :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

GSD posted:

Shouldn't that be the other way around? Assuming you were joking based on Wu Wei, anyways.

I'll get around to downloading the mod and giving it a whirl once I've found some time. Out of curiosity, Rince, do you have any idea how exactly they lost the wars with Hindustan? I'm guessing the Himalayas probably had something to do with it (feeding a massive army into offensive battles in hard-to-traverse, low-supply mountain provinces is not something that usually ends well), but it'd be nice to know for certain.

Edit: Could you compare Hindustan's mil-tech with China's in your save?

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Rincewind posted:

Then again, I'm number two because I'm just spamming dreadnoughts endlessly, so. :china: :japan:

Always my favourite tactic towards the end of Vicky 2 when looking to nab first place.

"So you're saying our rivals are building the great armies known to man, the communists are revolting everywhere and our industry is suffering due to fierce competition in our traditional spheres of influence... obviously the solution is to build more and bigger warships!"

Edit: added a correct image to illustrate things better.

BwenGun fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 12, 2014

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tomn posted:

Shouldn't that be the other way around? Assuming you were joking based on Wu Wei, anyways.

I'll get around to downloading the mod and giving it a whirl once I've found some time. Out of curiosity, Rince, do you have any idea how exactly they lost the wars with Hindustan? I'm guessing the Himalayas probably had something to do with it (feeding a massive army into offensive battles in hard-to-traverse, low-supply mountain provinces is not something that usually ends well), but it'd be nice to know for certain.

Edit: Could you compare Hindustan's mil-tech with China's in your save?

It was meant to be Wen overpowering Wu. But I was only half awake at the time and typing is hard. :v: Ie, with achieving cultural dominance they feel no need to use the ways of war. But wuwei fits amusingly well too, as they have attempted to win a war via very literal attempt at action-through-inaction: trying to win a war without using their admittedly terrifying army.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Rincewind posted:

The Chinese war goal of impaling the British on the contents of a crate of swordfish turned out to be a failure, and the millions of swordfish purchased from the global shipping industry was deemed a grievous misallocation of war resources.

Maybe they should have some more pork buns.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is China meant to be able to sometimes absorb sphered Hui states? (I assume via the event that allows minors to drift into their cultural union if sphered) Because uh, China absorbed Asitelehan. So China now has access to the black sea. :psypop:

From 1911. About immediately afterward a crisis over Egypt triggered, and so now China has decided it is time to face a Lai Ang-Somalia alliance alone. We'll see how it goes.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Seems like only Africa is getting colonized.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I loving love the borders.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Well, that went pretty well.

I need to think of ways to stir the pot for nationalism in Southeast Asia and Germany, though-- the only German crises I saw were for Hungary and Poland's cores, and Lai Ang and Britain both decided they'd rather just conquer parts of France for themselves than free the Germans. I'll probably need some event chains to keep Germany interesting, but I'm not sure how to structure them.

China's mega-army is probably a problem, but given their total inability to use it effectively not a gamebreaking one. East Hindustan was regularly contesting and often winning wars against them right up to the very end of the game.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Jesus Christ, SO MUCH CHINA. :psyduck:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe the Karatgurk states and Nova Scotia should not start off as Dominions, so as to encourage their overlords to continue colonizing in those regions? (I have no idea why the Haida do not seem interested in colonizing Canada though)

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
I do find it a bit odd that only Africa seems to be seeing some major colonization. You'd think that North Avalon would see the Haida or Nova Scotia would be pushing into that empty space there.

Still, the current playability seems pretty encouraging for the final version.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Rincewind, have you fiddled with the immigration modifiers yet? I just ask as I'm starting to see the first bits of mass immigration from places and it all seems to be heading to to the North American minor factions. Admittedly I'm at 1845 thus far, so it may change but I figured I'd ask the question.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
One thing that should be remembered is that you need to be at least a secondary power to colonize, and so the Karatgurk states and Nova Scotia generally can't, unless they get lucky and somehow reach that status. I saw Anacaona colonize some islands though :v:. Haida is more confusing, since they definitely start up there in the rankings. (though in my game they fell out of the secondary powers and remained rank 20 or so for most of the game, so that might have to do with it)

Edit: same with Ayiti deciding to not surge north, considering they do some North Avalon colonization early on and are essentially a permanent GP.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Yeah, ceding most of the dominions (besides Anacaona, Habsburg, Nuevo Xi'an, and Tianhui Catalina) back to their parent countries is probably a good idea-- it's not like Britain, Silla, or the Haida are super powerful or anything. And giving perma-GP Ayiti and nearly invetiable eventual GP Britain more direct stakes in Africa and Avalon might make things more interesting.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fascists have executed the Pope and declared the new Roman Republic ....Of the Isle of Mann.

Edit: Communist Metable.

GSD fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 12, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

GSD posted:

Fascists have executed the Pope and declared the new Roman Republic ....Of the Isle of Mann.

That's like the most ByzLP thing that could have possibly happened to Papal Mann, really.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Did the form Indonesia decision dissapear? I know that should be in NNM, but it isn't there for Brunei.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

theblastizard posted:

Did the form Indonesia decision dissapear? I know that should be in NNM, but it isn't there for Brunei.

I recall someone removing a bunch of NNM stuff to make it work, so I think it was taken out.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Rincewind posted:

That's like the most ByzLP thing that could have possibly happened to Papal Mann, really.

I can see the sarcastic newspaper articles and diplomatic comments already. Air quotes whenever its name is spoken and actual quotation marks larger than the word itself whenever it is written.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

GSD posted:

This screenshot from my test seems appropriate.

And who on earth is this Abraham Lincoln guy anyways?

For some reason this makes me giggle.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally got around to letting it run through the last decade or so.

You can utterly ignore my score, as noted this was a 95% or so hands off game, the only things I really did was colonize Tahiti at one point because I felt like it. I considered colonizing Karatgurk on my own (and taking the north Alaska province to get into colonizing the rest of Canada) but that felt insufficiently hands-off. and my piles of money are just from cheating up an impossibly big amount at the beginning so I could never worry about actually playing.

Probably the most important thing to note is that there were technically no great wars. I say technically because 4 times a German Crisis went to war (over Polish West Prussia, because of course) and...one day into the war it ends in White Peace. I cannot fathom why, but that is worth looking into I guess. Also that is the only cause I can think of for how Ayiti's prestige went from 800+ to 34.

Also, a lot of democracies and HM's Governments voted fascists into power, but very few transitioned to dictatorships. (though the fascist states of Kuba and Swatini became dictatorships, as did the "Roman" "Republic" and I guess that is all that matters). Might be something wrong with the March on (Capital) event?

Garibaldi's rebels also occupied and broke several Italian states, but the unification thing did not trigger from that. I am not sure if they are supposed to be there. If they are, they are evidently not working right. I admit I was rather disappointed that Two Sicilies lost steam and never unified Italy.

Other amusing sidebits: Cherokee ended the game as a secondary power, with the 5th highest military score. Good job, Cherokee, with your strangely inflating military (?). Haida regained secondary power status near the end and gave a half-hearted attempt to colonize some more (!!!). It only took them a century. Ireland is the second oldest communist state (that is still around, I think France was the first, but it transitioned back to a democracy after awhile). It ended the game as best friends with Communist Britain. Lenape went fascist but never tried for reclaiming its lost lands.

Edit: also I am amused that the Mayan Communists were down with calling themselves "The Mayan Empire" still. :v:

Also Edit: Also vast territories in the Ayiti North Avalon interior were turning 98% Arawak and such. Considering the Avalon Frontier culture's existence, that does not sound intended.

GSD fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 13, 2014

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
There really needs to be a seperate tag for Unified India because calling all of India East Hindustan is kind of odd.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Can the Japanese Republic get a slightly different color? I keep confusing it with the uncolonized land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I like how the Byzantines never did get their cores back from Da Qin.

• Locked thread