Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

I don't know what this means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vhTrtdJfro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

That's a kickass song, so thanks for linking it. I'm still going to need an assist on this one. The hummingbirds are humming, in this joke because they cannot remember the words of a song? Then that one hummingbird does, and sings it, in this case a line from "Volver Volver?" I'm pretty much white middle America, even though I have lived many other places, Las Vegas and SoCal included. This is not a song that I knew, or would even recognize. Tonight was the first time I heard it. My Spanish is loving atrocious, so if there's some extra layer of humor between the song's content and the strip, I'm stumped.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I love the extreme close up in panel 4. It adds a certain intensity to this conversation.

It is kind of neat, but man, why are they zooming in on Mary? It makes her seem like some nasty schemer. (Which she is, admittedly, but still.) Like, zooming in on Grandma Dingdong because of the uncertainty of her situation and all, that'd be dramatic and stuff, but zooming in on Mary's eyes as she tries to get other people to do what she wants doesn't have the effect I imagine the author is going for.

This is a weird complaint to have, I know, but that's just what came to mind when I saw that. "Muahahaha, my plan is coming to fruition." Mary, you look devious.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The joke is that they're humming birds because they can't remember words. One remembered the words. The end. That's it. The song is irrelevant.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

The joke is that they're humming birds because they can't remember words. One remembered the words. The end. That's it. The song is irrelevant.

Cool. Thought I might have been missing an extra zing there. Kinda milquetoast, but I guess it got me to check out a rad song. I'll call it even.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Most species of hummingbird are native to Central and South America.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

That is just...so drat terrible, but I laughed.

I always felt that Foxtrot should have done what Luann is doing now. Have the characters actually move on.
Age the strip a few years, so Jason is where Paige is now, Paige is just entering college, and Peter has been in the workforce.

Of course, this means you miss the whole freshman year dorm/frat hijinks with Peter and his friend, but eh.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Since Karen Evans got involved in the writing, which character had a "massive change" (read: haircut) when no others did, and which character has been focused on very heavily?

I think Karen Evans hates Luanne because the character was based on her, self-identifies with Bernice, and is turning this into the "Bernice & Friends" strip.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (October 15, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean drops the black borders on Sundays just in time for the part of the year where the sun gets scarce.

Classic Popeye Sunday (c. 1941)

For today's Pogo, I'd like to bring the room down a little bit.

This week, and maybe the next one, comes from the very, very late period, not just of the strip but of Walt Kelly himself. He wasn't well for a long time with an illness that cost him a leg, and while he did his best to keep working up to the end, his widow said that when the illness got too far on top of him he'd draw the characters tiny and scrawny. The lovingly detailed backgrounds would go straight out the window, too.

When this one was published, he only had a year left to go, so you tell me how he was feeling. (November 12, 1972)

First-Gen Blondie (c. 1943)

Out Our Way (November 4-5, 1925)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 12, 2014

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Is June finally looking a little pregnant in the first panel? And Kelly, he's a horny teenage male. He just wants a quickie.

Christ. That's Bill Nye's brother.

Eh. Not really funny, but it works.

Heavenly Nostrils still a day off...

Oh. I thought she'd turned into an Appaloosa. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 10/12/2003

Why are you so pissed off, Juliette? Every cat ever does this.

Zits

Oh, I thought he was just cleaning out the VW.

So, why's your tail just fine, Kell, if you sit on it all day long like Kevin?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I've been spending way too much time reading the politoons thread because I immediately hated this.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

The Phantom

Sunday Rip Haywire

Classic Prince Valiant

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EasyEW posted:

First-Gen Blondie (c. 1943)

Apparently that's where they draw the line at making sacrifices for the war.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

EasyEW posted:

For today's Pogo, I'd like to bring the room down a little bit.

This week, and maybe the next one, comes from the very, very late period, not just of the strip but of Walt Kelly himself. He wasn't well for a long time with an illness that cost him a leg, and while he did his best to keep working up to the end, his widow said that when the illness got too far on top of him he'd draw the characters tiny and scrawny. The lovingly detailed backgrounds would go straight out the window, too.

When this one was published, he only had a year left to go, so you tell me how he was feeling. (November 12, 1972)

Oof! Diabetes is a jerk, sadly. Kelly only lived to be 60, too :(

It's especially bad in the last 2 panels. Like, Kelly couldn't handle drawing even the most minimal of backgrounds anymore, so he just said "gently caress it" and had the characters stand in void.

The strip lasted few more years after his death, with his wife (Selby) and son (Steve) taking over.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 12, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set are jerks. Big shock, I know.

Working Daze goes for the easy nerd jokes. Big shock, I know.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Prince Valiant

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
"By acting passively, I found myself in a party with people I don't know, and instead of mingling, I'm calling my only friend (whom I belittle at every opportunity) to gloat. I'm so cool!"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tobaccrow posted:

"By acting passively, I found myself in a party with people I don't know, and instead of mingling, I'm calling my only friend (whom I belittle at every opportunity) to gloat. I'm so cool!"

Brings back memories.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Or you can just hit the lid on a hard surface to break the seal and then open it easily.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Get them both! Also the person who owned that pink blouse before you had major BO problems.

On the Fastrack

I find cafes really hard to do any work in for how busy and noisy they are. And I would think Dethany would just tether to her phone if the signal was that bad.

Slylock Fox

You really don't even need to read the puzzle to know who Slylock thinks is guilty here.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 12, 2014

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Or you can just hit the lid on a hard surface to break the seal and then open it easily.

Ed doesn't have to justify this shredded Wonderland to you!

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Tobaccrow posted:

Well, she does know Tiffany. Who is there... for some reason.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Julet Esqu posted:

Juliet Jones

Uh oh, I suspect that someone's parents are about to get accused!

Cul-de-sac is a Fugitive Alien.

Heathcliff can do stupid things, like Trumpy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cul-de-sac is a Fugitive Alien.

Okay, that is pretty clever.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

:fireman:

Ripley's

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones

The Lighter Side of Crime in the Streets (MAD #162, October 1973)

Don Martin Dept. (MAD #167, June 1974)

A MAD Look at the Gas Shortage (MAD #167, June 1974)
By Paul Coker and Paul Peter Porges

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Helicity posted:

I think Karen Evans hates Luanne because the character was based on her.
Explain this poo poo, Greg!

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Uh oh, I suspect that someone's parents are about to get accused!

:golfclap: The rare double reference.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

God damnit he didn't actually set out to show the world is round.

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Ah, good old Tiny Arms Tracy.

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Captain Novolin posted:

This would be what I didn't get, thanks. I looked up the song, even the translated lyrics, and still didn't get it.

Mary Worth

She's becoming the Crypt Keeper!

Rex Morgan MD

Loosen up, Kelly. Christ.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Not Retail

I dunno, I think Steve Kelley's self-insert Ed is more annoying than either of those.

Safe Havens

This is correct. Adding free pizza to any college gathering increases attendance approximately 500%

On the Fastrack

Presumably so they wouldn't get stale? Or so you don't become the Halloween version of that house that doesn't take down their Christmas lights?

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

A few minutes? Get some stamina, kid.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Slylock Fox

Well, looks like the beaver or Captain Duck will have to go without one. Or Max Mouse can take one for the team.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Presumably so they wouldn't get stale? Or so you don't become the Halloween version of that house that doesn't take down their Christmas lights?
You do remember that this is the person whose desk was literally a coffin at one point right?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Hey, you guys remember when Kelly was the bad girl who knew no rules and Niki was the good boy trying to tame her away from her moped punk boyfriend using his amazing square powers. Good times.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Yeah. I guess if you want a seat on the Morgan gravy train, you have to adopt their straitlaced whitebread conformist attitudes. No free cars for girls with any kind of independent streak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

Lady, that is literally his job. Also, she's got crazy eyes. :stare:

:frogout:

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 13, 2014

• Locked thread