Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

wisdomHNOX posted:

It's his last name, not his alias/"villain" name.

I want there to be a villain named Snart, now. :colbert: He could fight Rocket Racoon or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

as far as the introduction of a gay character, iirc, Pied Piper was revealed to be gay in the comics not too long ago so I'd probably place my bets on him.

By "not too long ago" you mean 1990, right?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Snart, eh?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

By "not too long ago" you mean 1990, right?

1991, technically.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I really hope we get the same Rogue dynamic and Flash/Rogue interaction we have in the comic. The Flash is a pretty awesome character on his own, but his relationship with his villains and his city at large is really what defines him as a hero. Hence why I am not fan of the "dead mom" retcon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Believe it or not, I wrote 1991 at first and thought, "No wait, Messner-Loeb did that over a year before Waid took over."

The Piper is a guy I'd like to see turn up on the show and get the full arc over the course of a couple of seasons. In fact, I'd want the show to have the rogues around long term as supporting characters.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

e X posted:

I really hope we get the same Rogue dynamic and Flash/Rogue interaction we have in the comic. The Flash is a pretty awesome character on his own, but his relationship with his villains and his city at large is really what defines him as a hero. Hence why I am not fan of the "dead mom" retcon.

Purely speculation, but maybe they'll have him save his mom when he goes back this time. And he'll have saved the city and his parents. End season 1.

One could hope.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Error 404 posted:

Purely speculation, but maybe they'll have him save his mom when he goes back this time. And he'll have saved the city and his parents. End season 1.

One could hope.

I really hope that's where it's going too. The Barry's dead mom retcon in the comics is lame "tragedy = pathos, look we're grown up serious business comics for MATURE ADULTS" crap and when he tries to fix it he literally ruins it for everyone else and learns that his mother HAS to have died or the universe breaks. I'd love nothing better than for this show to do the Back to the Future thing instead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McSpanky posted:

I really hope that's where it's going too. The Barry's dead mom retcon in the comics is lame "tragedy = pathos, look we're grown up serious business comics for MATURE ADULTS" crap and when he tries to fix it he literally ruins it for everyone else and learns that his mother HAS to have died or the universe breaks. I'd love nothing better than for this show to do the Back to the Future thing instead.

But upon coming back he realized things have changed...like how the Arrow now using boxing glove arrows.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

computer parts posted:

But upon coming back he realized things have changed...like how the Arrow now using boxing glove arrows.

"Ollie, why are you wearing purple?"

"Who's Ollie? Have you seen my dog?"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

computer parts posted:

WIN-WIN scenario :colbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So you know how the Flash was the most-watched CW series premiere in like five or six years? Apparently that is no longer true.

The Flash is now the most-watched CW premiere ever.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spergatory posted:

So you know how the Flash was the most-watched CW series premiere in like five or six years? Apparently that is no longer true.

So 7 or 8 years then? :v:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Rarity posted:

So 7 or 8 years then? :v:

That is two more years than before. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I can finally wear my CW Rocks! t-shirt out in public again, thank god. They're on an upward swing. Next year if this keeps up I might just wear my CW branded leather jacket!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So I liked it... but I wasn't thrilled with Gustin. :( That's a pretty major barrier to my enjoyment of a show, and I hope his acting improves.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

e X posted:

In a Season 4 episode, the Flash and the Rogues go out drinking.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Random Stranger posted:

Believe it or not, I wrote 1991 at first and thought, "No wait, Messner-Loeb did that over a year before Waid took over."

The Piper is a guy I'd like to see turn up on the show and get the full arc over the course of a couple of seasons. In fact, I'd want the show to have the rogues around long term as supporting characters.

The showrunners had originally mentioned Piper as the last uncast regular. Clearly that's changed, but it is a character they like.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jscolon2.0 posted:

The showrunners had originally mentioned Piper as the last uncast regular. Clearly that's changed, but it is a character they like.

You never know, as Felicity and Roy were just guests until later in the series.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
The show sold me right away when I saw John Wesley Shipp as the father, I grew up watch Flash and MacGuyver back as a kid. Having Amanda Paye as the mom probably would've been too meta.:v:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Spergatory posted:

Really interested to see how the series does or doesn't hold up as it goes into its second episode tonight.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bubblegumbo0 posted:

The show sold me right away when I saw John Wesley Shipp as the father, I grew up watch Flash and MacGuyver back as a kid. Having Amanda Paye as the mom probably would've been too meta.:v:

She is gonna be in the show as Tina McGee, though.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
The Flash's ability seems a bit too good to me. Hard to believe he will ever be in any danger. When the weather guy points his gun at Barry I was just thinking "Just take it off him..."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah power creep is a big problem in pretty much all superhero media. It's much worse with Superman.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Saki posted:

The Flash's ability seems a bit too good to me. Hard to believe he will ever be in any danger. When the weather guy points his gun at Barry I was just thinking "Just take it off him..."

Yes, that is pretty much the reason superspeed is easily the most over the top power there is. It doesn't really matter what power the villain has, because thanks to his speed, Flash basically has all the time in the world to figure out what counter measures to deploy. Even if you are some kind of really warping god, who can reshape the universe at a whim, you still have to form that thought and while your neurons are still firing, the flash has already punched you a billion time sin the face.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

zoux posted:

Yeah power creep is a big problem in pretty much all superhero media. It's much worse with Superman.

Superman has a much stronger mythos than the Flash though, the best stories about him are ones that don't focus on fighting or power levels or whatever, more on his otherness.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=326s1ISaVRI

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

e X posted:

the Flash has already punched you a billion times in the crotch.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

e X posted:

Yes, that is pretty much the reason superspeed is easily the most over the top power there is. It doesn't really matter what power the villain has, because thanks to his speed, Flash basically has all the time in the world to figure out what counter measures to deploy. Even if you are some kind of really warping god, who can reshape the universe at a whim, you still have to form that thought and while your neurons are still firing, the flash has already punched you a billion time sin the face.

How's the weather in BSS?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rocksicles posted:

How's the weather in BSS?

Sorry that I brought the very comic specific, and not at all to the show related topic of "super speed is pretty neat huh?" into this thread. For the future I will stick to abs and trying to assign snack food to actress' faces.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 14, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

e X posted:

Sorry that I brought the very comic specific, and not at all to the show related topic of "super speed is pretty need huh?" into this thread. For the future I will stick to abs and trying to assign snack food to actress' faces.

We're on to criticising fingernail length and slenderness of calves, now. God, it's like you don't even read the other thread.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Saki posted:

zoux posted:

e X posted:

This is why, for now, Barry is gonna be capped at just under the speed of sound, and even if he does surpass that, I don't expect him to get too crazy for the TV series. Its enough that at say, point blank, he can dodge bullets should he know someone is gonna shoot, but if caught unawares, he won't necessarily be able to respond.

That and as both the preview and the comic seem to indicate (though as discussed with Arrow, that's only canon until inconvenient), Barry in this case is gonna play up the biological exertion factor, rather than a certain plot device powering him completely and without fail 100% of the time. He clearly has to catch his breath after a particularly exhaustive burst, and the comics discuss him possibly passing out due to glucose levels being affected by his speed usage (unless that relates to the bad guy of the week rather than the powers themselves).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, even on screen he was noticeably tired after running down the tornado.

That's why he needed the save from the gun.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

e X posted:

Sorry that I brought the very comic specific, and not at all to the show related topic of "super speed is pretty neat huh?" into this thread. For the future I will stick to abs and trying to assign snack food to actress' faces.

It was a joke son, i read DC comics and BSS too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

e X posted:

More that you seem to have completely ignored the context clues in the pilot that the TV version is not nearly as godly with his superspeed as the comics version is, so most of these complaints are irrelevant to this thread. This Flash can't even break the sound barrier at a dead sprint, let alone punch someone a billion times before they can think.

Judging from the preview to tonight's episode, I think your concerns will be more explicitly addressed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

McSpanky posted:

More that you seem to have completely ignored the context clues in the pilot that the TV version is not nearly as godly with his superspeed as the comics version is, so most of these complaints are irrelevant to this thread. This Flash can't even break the sound barrier at a dead sprint, let alone punch someone a billion times before they can think.

Judging from the preview to tonight's episode, I think your concerns will be more explicitly addressed.

Before the speed force Wally always had to eat and then rest days. He also could not go past a certain speed due to these limitations.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Yeah at this point there are bullets he couldn't even outrun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In the old Flash TV series didn't he have to eat constantly?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

In the old Flash TV series didn't he have to eat constantly?

Yeah and the main female love interest was the one from the early Wally series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I hope they nip the power creep in the bud.

Just have a whole episode where Wally beats the rogue of the week in the first 20 minutes but exerted himself so quickly he starts to fade/waste away/vibrate uncontrollably and has to deal with it for the rest of the episode.

It at least sets up the cause of the headline from the end of the pilot while also setting an upper-limit and consequences to going too fast.

• Locked thread