Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Sandweed posted:

Won't Terra get hosed almost immediately if the emperor dies? What with the portal to the warp and all.

Probably. Would you miss it, though? It's the figure-head planet where the dudes in charge live, but it's not like the Imperium is lacking in spare planets, bureaucracy or self-sufficient forces.

I suppose the larger problem would be the Astronomican going dark or being corrupted by Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I'm pretty sure the official label for the current time period in 40k has been "The Time of Ending" since at least 5th edition. I'm not saying they won't advance the plot but I see what's going on with Nagash and friends with fantasy (the book is solid, by the way) is them kinda "catching up" with 40k. Took the setting from bleak to "We're hosed.", which is could honestly replace the "In the grim darkness of the far future..." statement at the front of every BL 40k book.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Those don't really need to be spoiled - both the Talon and the Throne failing have been mentioned before. I'm pretty sure he said that the Talon killed a primarch (Sanguinius) and wounded the Emperor.

It does specifically mention killing 2 primarchs. It might just mean the clone of horus though, as said already

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
You know, everyone makes a big deal about the Astronomican disappearing, but the thought of it being corrupted is somehow even worse. I imagine Tzeentch somehow managing to keep it looking exactly the same for some time but with disastrous results for those who depend on it.

Big ol' space highway with a sign that says "Last Stop for Food" but people keep interpreting it the wrong way indeed...

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Skarsnik posted:

It does specifically mention killing 2 primarchs. It might just mean the clone of horus though, as said already

I don't think so, he says that when the Talon is first seen, not after Abbadon rams it through the Horus clone's chest.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah it seems too good to just be a throw away line that doesnt really mean much, I do reckon its someone new

spootime
Oct 31, 2010
That was my reasoning as well. I really hope the second primarch wasn't just referring to clone Horus

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Rogal Dorn or one of Alpharius/Omegon seems most likely.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

The Rat posted:

I don't think so, he says that when the Talon is first seen, not after Abbadon rams it through the Horus clone's chest.

But he is also telling the story from far in the future, and backfilling descriptions with what he knows now

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
If the Emperor dies, you immediately get a new eye of terror engulfing Terra. This would be bad because its the spiritual and government center of the imperium. Mars will also fall, which would really gently caress over the Titan legions and all the technology and supply the Imperium depends on. The shipyards of Luna go as well, and the Inquisitions seat of power around Saturn will be untenable.

The light of the Astromatician goes, instantly severing all warp travel, cutting off systems from each other and resetting humans to pre-crusade times. Surviving in tiny broken pockets of humanity.

If he gets unplugged or the throne fails completely, the imperium as we know it ceases to exist period, do not pass go

Where did the whole, oh he might reincarnate thing come from?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Waroduce posted:

Where did the whole, oh he might reincarnate thing come from?

Very old Star Child/shaman fluff and relatively new Perpetual fluff.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Waroduce posted:

The light of the Astromatician goes, instantly severing all warp travel, cutting off systems from each other and resetting humans to pre-crusade times. Surviving in tiny broken pockets of humanity.

It'd be pretty bad but the astronomicon being gone really just makes it so that long distance/duration jumps are no longer tenable. See the Tau where they are just forced to make short hops through the warp. They do ok. Still obviously a huge setback but not the end of FTL travel though probably the end of the 'Imperium' as such.

The astronomicon is also what is drawing the tyranid to the galaxy and to the imperium in particular so it going away may, on balance, be a really good thing.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I don't think Tyranids are going to just leave the galaxy if Astronomicon goes out - they already have a foothold there, and the fleets stil outside the galaxy can home in on them. I mean, they do already know the galaxy is inhabitated and full of all sorts of organix life to gobble up.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I don't think Tyranids are going to just leave the galaxy if Astronomicon goes out - they already have a foothold there, and the fleets stil outside the galaxy can home in on them. I mean, they do already know the galaxy is inhabitated and full of all sorts of organix life to gobble up.

Yeah but, they at least wouldn't be on a beeline to the heart of imperial space anymore which would be nice! :v: Also, unless I'm remembering wrong, there's still tyranid hive fleets which haven't entered the galaxy yet so maybe it would limit them to what tyranid are currently here.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Fried Chicken posted:

But he is also telling the story from far in the future, and backfilling descriptions with what he knows now

True. I'm loving this narrative structure. :unsmigghh:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Rat posted:

True. I'm loving this narrative structure. :unsmigghh:

It's taken directly from Warlord Chronicles.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

orphean posted:

The astronomicon is also what is drawing the tyranid to the galaxy and to the imperium in particular so it going away may, on balance, be a really good thing.

Isn't this just a theory though or did that change recently?

I thought the fluff was divided between them having conquered a galaxy and randomly eating their way to the next, being kicked out of their own galaxy by something scarier or being drawn here by something bright and shiny.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

It's taken directly from Warlord Chronicles.

I know, that's why I've been digging it so much. I made a couple posts about it after I finished Talon of Horus.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Among the little Talon of Horus teasers, I also liked the mention of Abaddon and Sigismund duking it out, a lot. I really hope they touch again on this in coming books. Sigismund is a beast of a fighter and deserves to go out in a blaze of glory.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

I thought the fluff was divided between them having conquered a galaxy and randomly eating their way to the next, being kicked out of their own galaxy by something scarier or being drawn here by something bright and shiny.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Kegslayer posted:

It was definitely canon and A Thing for a while, I don't know if something has retconned it though. I wouldn't be surprised.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This totally reads as some dude's "lost Primarch" homebrew fluff for his custom chapter. What's the source?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

This totally reads as some dude's "lost Primarch" homebrew fluff for his custom chapter. What's the source?

idk it was linked in the GBS thread and i saved it

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

orphean posted:

It was definitely canon and A Thing for a while, I don't know if something has retconned it though. I wouldn't be surprised.

According to google there was a reference to it in the 4th Ed Codex and some novel which I've never read. :shrug:

I guess I just liked the idea that there was always something bigger outside in the dark (probably just more orks).

CaptainAttitude
May 31, 2003

This haircut was a good idea.

Arquinsiel posted:

It's some dudes Lost Primarch fluff. I like it though. We'll never get closure on either the Lost Primarchs or the Tyranids so I'm going with this. No good reason not to, until the story moves forward, which it won't.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
I could see them doing some kind of World of Darkness-esque Apocalypse followed by a reboot thing.

I think Fantasy will be a good barometer of what (if any) story progression we'll see on the black library side since they are going through 'the end times' right now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

orphean posted:

I could see them doing some kind of World of Darkness-esque Apocalypse followed by a reboot thing.

I think Fantasy will be a good barometer of what (if any) story progression we'll see on the black library side since they are going through 'the end times' right now.
Fantasy never really had a prophesied "end times" in the way 40k does though, and they've basically already had it at least once before with no lasting results.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Who is that, the lion?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

vigorous sodomy posted:

Who is that, the lion?

Supposed to be one of the lost primarchs.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

vigorous sodomy posted:

Who is that, the lion?

The Lion is still in the basement of his fortress.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

The Lion is still in the basement of his fortress.

:spergin:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Mr.48 posted:

The Lion is still in the closet of his fortress.

Fixed that. The Dark Angels are a gay joke that went too far. Dick swords and all

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Why can't it be the closet in the basement?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I really like the whole eternal crusade thing the black templars are on and how they have way more marines than they should. Probably bc of helsreach and some other stuff ive read.

I tried to read vengeful spirit. It was real real bad can I get cliff notes spoilers? Like what is horus after, wtf is loken doing fuckin around with his buddys and lol the russ and horus plot line.

Also Malcador speaking to the emperor while he holds the webway closed was so terribly written I wanted to put forks in my eyes

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
The only part that mattered to me in any way from Vengeful spirit is when Loken has a moment with Mesardy. He actually feels human for whole seconds when she touches his hand. Its a short scene and i dont think McNeil really pushed that angle far enough.I think it shows that he can do ok when he's not trying to insert more 1 dimensional characters into the plot.

Aside from that Vengeful spirit is a mess.Horus is after the power to defeat the emperor on a planet where (get this) the emperor met with the 4 chaos gods in their own realm, bargained for power and betrayed them right after in an attempt to destroy them (i guess, its kinda vague). Its kind of hard for me to come to terms with the logic of that retcon. I mean the emperor already doesn't have a good track record, and adding more fuel to him making a deal with the devil doesn't sit well with me. There's not much else that goes on. McNeil had to write in imperial knight houses for the advertising. One of them falls to Slannesh, there's incest (thanks again Mcneil,) betrays the rest of the defenders of the city where the portal is, and some perpetual chick tries to keep the gate sealed.

She fails. Horus gets into the gate after fighting a psychic construct the emperor left behind, and comes out with a fresh new coat of chaos taint.

Loken is on the Vengeful spirit, with a handful of other Knights errant, on mission to prep the ship so Leman Russ can have a shot at killing Horus before he gets to Terra.

They get captured. Iacton Cruze gets killed by Horus, and no one gave a poo poo. They escape.
The end.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wait, didn't Loken die? Granted, I haven't read anything Heresy-related that wasn't written by Dan Abnett or ADB after the original six or so books. (So Fulgrim, FotE, the original trilogy, Fallen Angels, and :shobon: BftA)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azran posted:

Wait, didn't Loken die? Granted, I haven't read anything Heresy-related that wasn't written by Dan Abnett or ADB after the original six or so books. (So Fulgrim, FotE, the original trilogy, Fallen Angels, and :shobon: BftA)

No, his fate was left ambiguous at the end of Galaxy In Flames and if you couldn't tell that he was coming back then I don't know what to say.

Also, get The First Heretic, Know No Fear, and Betrayer.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

Cythereal posted:

No, his fate was left ambiguous at the end of Galaxy In Flames and if you couldn't tell that he was coming back then I don't know what to say.

Didn't Loken survive and get recruited by Garro in one of his audio books? If I remember correctly he thought his name was Cerberus after Istvaan.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Tiki Powers posted:

Didn't Loken survive and get recruited by Garro in one of his audio books? If I remember correctly he thought his name was Cerberus after Istvaan.

Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I supposed that he was going to make a comeback at some point, but I thought that he had been stepped on by a Titan. :v:

Yes, I've read all of them. My favourite "trilogy" of the series so far. You can include Aurelian too - I loved the desolate craftworld.