Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just please remember that jumping onto buildings or height 1 is all well and good until the arrow IV can lock onto you from across the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

I want to suplex a King Crab.

:allears:

Fanart folks, you might want to start sketching in preparation for this.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Okay my plan is to run into 1045, putting me at 7 hexes distance to the target in 1239 and give it some Medium Laser love. I think I should have LoS to it.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
OK since I'm assuming laserboats can't do jack against infantry I'm thinking of heading to 2350 so I can eventually go center left and engage mechs and vehicles.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

How about outlining the hex in red instead?

Doubling the number of things I have to move? No thanks.

Shoeless posted:

Couple things PTN: What is the weird sort of lava-like terrain? Mud? And do the dirty-looking roads count as paved roads and thus prompting PSRs for running and turning on them?

They are swamps.

Edit: And the roads are dirt.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 12, 2014

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
I'm thinking booking the clint to 2047 this turn and getting ready to mount the hill next turn to be all sniper type and poo poo. Plan to take potshots at anything in the xx26=xx27 range as Sizuka moves up

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Those wrestling moves!

PTN can we get Randy to form a mercenary band alongside Hulk and two more wrasslin mechs and hire themselves out to the Lyrans?

Steiner rules: wrestling mercs versus steel vipers.

Also requesting a drawing of One-Eyes mech. That description made it look bad rear end.

Edit; I agree with everyone saying you should do the special objectives because they are cool and interesting. But itd also be cool if there were perks to keeping with ADHD targeting (not optimal really) or truckasaurus. They in themselves could give the characters more flavour. Maybe Randy can't be targeted the round after performing a move because the enemy are just completely shocked by how awesome that was. (Increasing the likelyhood that a dfa wouldn't be detrimental) or maybe adhd-guy won't suffer penalties for splitting fire?

Either way. This might become one of the coolest missions so far alongside Luthien and the Death Commando campaign! Would not mind more missions with Redjacks Rebels. They have character.

Affi fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 12, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Affi posted:

Just please remember that jumping onto buildings or height 1 is all well and good until the arrow IV can lock onto you from across the map.

Thankfully, it's a non-homing A4.

apostateCourier posted:

I want to suplex a King Crab.

Oh, it's there. And what fun it would be to jump in the lake and crunch it underwater!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Zest posted:

I'm thinking booking the clint to 2047 this turn and getting ready to mount the hill next turn to be all sniper type and poo poo. Plan to take potshots at anything in the xx26=xx27 range as Sizuka moves up

Just be mindful of showing yourself to too many enemies!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The closest enemy on the left side can be put in a very compromising position if the lance levels some housing along its expected path of retreat.

I think if you blow up 6 units of housing it won't be able to retreat anywhere good and won't have any good positions available.

These houses are easy to break if I recall correctly.

(Will they give full cover or just partial tough?)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

(Will they give full cover or just partial tough?)

For what?

If they're intact, they're height 2 so it's full cover.

If they're destroyed they'd normally become rubble terrain but these are pirate shanties so they'll be rough terrain instead (unless you smash one of the big Medium buildings).

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
By the way, what are those walled buildings? Villas? Or fortresses? Kidding probably a Mad Max style fort out of sheet metal.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

For what?

If they're intact, they're height 2 so it's full cover.

If they're destroyed they'd normally become rubble terrain but these are pirate shanties so they'll be rough terrain instead (unless you smash one of the big Medium buildings).

I wasn't sure if shanties were height 1 or 2 :)

Anyway, I think my plan is doable but I'm on a stupid phone posting so I can barely see anything.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Tank Boy Ken posted:

By the way, what are those walled buildings? Villas? Or fortresses? Kidding probably a Mad Max style fort out of sheet metal.

I thought they were SRM positions at first glance.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Affi posted:

I thought they were SRM positions at first glance.

Nah, that looks like grass or an approximation thereof- why spend money on making the missile emplacements look good? Plus, we never got a threat profile on anything resembling turrets.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I think they're the pirate mansions that GruntyThrst has to destroy 4 of.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cloud Potato posted:

I think they're the pirate mansions that GruntyThrst has to destroy 4 of.

:ocelot:

You've got it!

The outer walls are too low to impede BattleMechs, they're just there to keep out the riffraff.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

OptimusShr posted:

OK since I'm assuming laserboats can't do jack against infantry I'm thinking of heading to 2350 so I can eventually go center left and engage mechs and vehicles.

I'm basically sticking with you all match.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hobo posted:

You do a percentage of your damage unless you've got small pulse lasers. Typically 1 laser of any size is 1 dead man. If you've got a large number of lasers you can cut down on the number of machineguns the Blackjack has to fire to wipe out a squad.

300 shots looks like a lot, but the Blackjack's only got enough ammunition for 15 turns. That should be more than enough to last him the entire fight, but if he's going to meet his sub objective anything he does to reduce the number of guns he has to fire could keep him in action longer.

That said, the Blackjack's objective is to kill infantry squads. There're up to 3 squads per platoon, and every group of men on (or entering) the field has anywhere from 1 to 3 squads.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Eh. Forget about my plan.

can't fire on buildings behind other buildings so it's not as though first lance could've leveled eight building blocks in the first turn of the fight :(

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Leveling buildings is a legitimate tactic if you need a shortcut. Or want to improve your LOS / deny an enemy cover. Or have a few lasers to spare and the heat potential to fire them. Basically shoot everything and give no fucks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You can't just do that.

Those lasers might be better used providing a laser light show to go with the exploding munition bass-line.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Scintilla posted:

Leveling buildings is a legitimate tactic if you need a shortcut. Or want to improve your LOS / deny an enemy cover. Or have a few lasers to spare and the heat potential to fire them. Basically shoot everything and give no fucks.

especially in this fight. Since these are shanties and can only take between 1-15 damage (according to PTN I think??)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Are the players worried about collateral damage at all?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Look, PTN gave the players Clantech, Vibro-weaponry and Inferno SRMs for a reason, okay? And anyway, what's a little urban renewal between friends?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Artificer posted:

No. Not at all. Well, okay, I'd prefer to have cover on turns where I'm not wrasslin' mans, but that's not going to stop me from shredding everything I get close to.

TORTUGA WAS MADE TO BE RAZED :black101:

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Hobo posted:

You will probably want to take point on occasion since you can do more damage close up. We should probably engage at range and you can close in while I soften them up.

Also I calculated my movement wrong I'll head for 2449 instead.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

apostateCourier posted:

No. Not at all. Well, okay, I'd prefer to have cover on turns where I'm not wrasslin' mans, but that's not going to stop me from shredding everything I get close to.

You should ask PTN if you can charge through a building and bust out the other side like the Kool-Aid man.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Light buildings can have a CF of up to 15 (there are things that modify this but I'm not tracking any of them), and buildings can support up to their CF in BattleMech tons, so the only buildings on the map that might support a `Mech are the 16-40 CF Height +6 Medium Buildings that only the 40 ton Assassin or 55 ton Chameleon can reliably get on top of :aaa:

Seriously though, don't try to jump on one of the medium buildings with the Chameleon, it's guaranteed to collapse under your weight and height 6 falls are not to be trifled with.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Scintilla posted:

You should ask PTN if you can charge through a building and bust out the other side like the Kool-Aid man.

Moving through buildings just slows me down, forces pilot checks, does damage on a failure, and does damage to the building regardless. I think.

So yeah, that's a thing I can totally do.

PTN: are there basements? I would hate to die to falling into a basement.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

You do a percentage of your damage unless you've got small pulse lasers. Typically 1 laser of any size is 1 dead man. If you've got a large number of lasers you can cut down on the number of machineguns the Blackjack has to fire to wipe out a squad.

300 shots looks like a lot, but the Blackjack's only got enough ammunition for 15 turns. That should be more than enough to last him the entire fight, but if he's going to meet his sub objective anything he does to reduce the number of guns he has to fire could keep him in action longer.

That said, the Blackjack's objective is to kill infantry squads. There're up to 3 squads per platoon, and every group of men on (or entering) the field has anywhere from 1 to 3 squads.

I might have to go straight middle then, provide support for the left and use the lasers to help out with the squads on the right. Do melee weapons work on infantry?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

apostateCourier posted:

PTN: are there basements? I would hate to die to falling into a basement.

No, I wouldn't worry about basements. The only way I'd do those is if they were fixed, and that's not fair to the players since I always know... where...

I need a non-player volunteer from the thread who is going to be available for the duration of the mission!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 12, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, I wouldn't worry about basements. The only way I'd do those is if they were fixed, and that's not fair to the players since I always know... where...

I need a volunteer from the thread who is going to be available for the duration of the mission!

If basements end up being a thing I'm not going to do the kool aid man thing. The risk of instant 'mech death from a shack collapsing on me isn't worth it.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

I need a non-player volunteer from the thread who is going to be available for the duration of the mission!

Sold!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I need 7 depth 1 basements, put them anywhere on the map (you've got 130+ hexes to put them in). I'd--actually, that's not going to work since it'd delay updates. :(

No basements!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Makes sense, with the muddy splotches on the roads, the water table must be pretty high.

Though, you know, pirate architects.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Artificer posted:

Yes. It will be a serious blow to our credibility if we don't manage to cause enough of it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Shoot! my chance to put basements everywhere GONE!.

Sair
May 11, 2007

You could always make it a 1 in 100 roll or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Orders in. I'm moving up to 0644. GruntyThrst, walk up to 0746 and shoot your PPCs at the technical in 1239; it doesn't have a movement mod yet, and a single hit will kill it.

• Locked thread