Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wow, Kalon, so good. Much video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If you already killed 11 cops, why wouldn't you just off that guy and not take the chance? At that point you aren't exactly speaking from the moral high ground just because you left the one guy alone.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

If you already killed 11 cops, why wouldn't you just off that guy and not take the chance? At that point you aren't exactly speaking from the moral high ground just because you left the one guy alone.
No, see, the cops are corrupt and therefore it is OK to kill them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

LoonShia posted:

Alright, that makes some sense.

Wait, how are you panning left to right if that is the case? Are their spinal chords also connected via ctOS?

this game is so good you guys

You can't pan it very far so I just assumed that it had a bit of a swivel feature. More importantly it's a gameplay concession, as not being able to pan it would be extremely obnoxious, trust me.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Because those cops harassed and tortured a guy, and that's totally irredeemable! Except when Aiden does it, in which case its totally okay and not an issue at all.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Especially when he's harassing and torturing the very guy the corrupt cops were! Truly a paragon of morality.

...Actually, I'm really confused by that. Aiden interrupted the cops trying to kill him, apparently so he doesn't talk to... threaten to ruin his life so he doesn't talk?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I think the narrative assumes at every turn you are being as nonviolent as possible and just riot-sticking the poo poo out of everyone. In the case you beat up the corrupt cops (We know they are evil, corrupt cops because our scanner says a bad thing about them) who were beating up the stadium survivor. Of course, that wouldn't solve the problem with them just waking up and murdering the hell out of the prisoner. Also, I'm not sure if you can riot-stick the big heavy tank dudes yet so violence may be the only option.

By the way, this game would have been way better if Aiden was using CV Dazzle to conceal himself from cameras: http://cvdazzle.com/

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

Especially when he's harassing and torturing the very guy the corrupt cops were! Truly a paragon of morality.

...Actually, I'm really confused by that. Aiden interrupted the cops trying to kill him, apparently so he doesn't talk to... threaten to ruin his life so he doesn't talk?

The cops suspected there was an unscheduled drug trade taking place in the stadium and were miffed that they were being cut out of the action. They weren't trying to kill the gang member, they were trying to get an explanation out of him and maybe vent some frustration. In fact, since they were discussing the stadium incident, it's likely the guy would have spilled the beans on Aiden before long.

I'm all for pointing out Watch-Underscore-Dog's inconsistencies, but the basic plot is at least competent.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This is just a shittier version of Person of Interest.

At least in Person of Interest the really good guy at shooting and the master hacker are two completely different loving people.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ZenVulgarity posted:

This is just a shittier version of Person of Interest.

At least in Person of Interest the really good guy at shooting and the master hacker are two completely different loving people.

And they've each got amiable psychopath counterparts too, so it's not like they're hurting for Jordi.

I do love the dazzle-camo jacket, though. Dazzle camo is the best thing that doesn't sound real at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'd have to say Root is better than Jordi. Heresy, but it's true.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bruceski posted:

The math checks out.

"How much do you know about this janitor, Ms. Groves?"

"Well, he's got some interesting ideas about metaphysical determinism and I think he's a Doris Day fan."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bruceski posted:

That's not heresy, that's a fact.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

That's not heresy, that's a fact.

I mean, Jordi would agree!

...After a few hours of trunk time, maybe, but still!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Bruceski posted:

People like Jordi because he's honest about his job. He knows what he does, why he does it, and loves it. Aiden on the other hand, through standard sandbox player character behavior, can be a sociopath with a heart of gold when he's supposed to just be a vigilante according to the story.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

So as much as this game is really kinda meh you guys are commenting as though its literally the worst game ever made, so...

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Five posted:

So as much as this game is really kinda meh you guys are commenting as though its literally the worst game ever made, so...

Considering that Ubisoft was hyping this up as the greatest sandbox ever made. Being mediocre makes it poo poo to people who saw how hyped up it was.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Five posted:

I've been watching it. It's a pretty bad game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game has, for reasons that completely escape me, an enormous hatedom. I really don't get why, it was a hyped up game that turned out to be meh, it's not like that never happened in this industry.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rick_Hunter posted:

People like Jordi because he's honest about his job. He knows what he does, why he does it, and loves it. Aiden on the other hand, through standard sandbox player character behavior, can be a sociopath with a heart of gold when he's supposed to just be a vigilante according to the story.

The other thing is, Jordi is actually having fun. He's not trying to take this poo poo seriously and that makes it easy to see it as comedic. He's also got some charisma to him, which Aiden seems to be specifically designed not to do.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The problem with this game is that it was hyped up to be the beginning of the next generation and in that case, next gen is going to be aggressively mediocre that takes no risks and cuts corners wherever it can to save money to spend on the hype train. This game is boring and does nothing interesting with its premise nor with the technological boost of the new systems. Just imagine how pretty the water could look on the Wii U! But nope, the main character is boring and ~dark~ and the gameplay is uninteresting and a downgrade from previous sandbox titles. It's a serviceable game, but there's nothing else to it. The people who hate this game are those who expected more from it, but were left feeling bitter from the end result.

I will definitely enjoy the hilariously reckless driving. Even GTA 1 eventually sent the police after you if you crashed into too many cars.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I wouldn't say Jordi is trying to be Root. I think Jordi is trying to be Shaw. That one hacker girl whose name I can't remember is trying to be Root.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gothsheep posted:

I wouldn't say Jordi is trying to be Root. I think Jordi is trying to be Shaw. That one hacker girl whose name I can't remember is trying to be Root.

I went for Root instead of Shaw for Jordi because of personality (Root has the same sense of satisfaction when a plan comes together) but it's not really 1-for-1 and most of the PoI episodes I've caught with Shaw were playing up the "beep boop I am an emotional robot" aspect. Hacker girl's the only option we have for Fitz right now, and this last episode was the same kind of job as he does.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I'd like to think that between Aiden's trench-coat, one-dimensional personality and internet meme road signs, he's not meant to be a badass so much as he's meant to be what the teenage game-buying demographic thinks is a badass, in order to sell more games.

Clearly whatever they were doing worked since they have a blockbuster hit on their hands and hopefully the Aiden of the sequels will have more depth.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

tomanton posted:

Clearly whatever they were doing worked since they have a blockbuster hit on their hands and hopefully the Aiden of the sequels will have more depth.

I struggle to think of a precedent for a situation like this. It's not like customers couldn't wait to give away provisionary money, for the promise that the franchise holds. On the other hand, I can easily think of a few examples of games that didn't do that well but the developers managed to stay afloat and knew where they could improve (System Shock comes to mind, although it's not the best example because the second game didn't work out either, financially), or games that did well and the sequels only got better (say, Thief 1 and 2. Also, Assassin's Creed 1 and 2). And there's plenty of examples of games that were great successes and had lackluster sequels (Dragon Age, Deus Ex, Halo, Bioshock?). Of course, if Watch_Dogs is in the last category, the sequel could work out better if the devs immediately skipped to number 3, or did a prequel.

Why did I write that? :psyduck: I'm so sorry, I'm kind of stressed right now. :ohdear:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

tomanton posted:

Or they won't and this game ends up being a case of genre-defining mediocrity like Halo. Bad games selling copies is generally a bad omen.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Crosspeice posted:

The problem with this game is that it was hyped up to be the beginning of the next generation and in that case, next gen is going to be aggressively mediocre that takes no risks and cuts corners wherever it can to save money to spend on the hype train. This game is boring and does nothing interesting with its premise
I'll cut you off right there and say it did do a couple interesting things with its premise. But nobody cares because those things are drowning in the sea of mediocrity that is the rest of the game. Well, that and everybody was expecting the reverse, a few mediocre things in a sea of innovation, which was never going to happen.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game will get a sequel. It sold gangbusters and its ending is sequel bait. I'm not spoiling that because pretty much every video game nowadays does this.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

SSNeoman posted:

This game will get a sequel. It sold gangbusters and its ending is sequel bait. I'm not spoiling that because pretty much every video game nowadays does this.

You mean selling a lot with a mediocre story or having a sequel cliffhanger? I don't find sequel teasers that harmful because if a developer wants to expound on an IP's story they at least thought ahead for it instead of having to retcon a problem into the series and explain why poo poo wasn't wrapped up in the first place.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

anilEhilated posted:

genre-defining mediocrity

Like Assassin's Creed?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Like AssCreed. Although they manage to pull a good game out of that once in a while.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

anilEhilated posted:

Or they won't and this game ends up being a case of genre-defining mediocrity like Halo. Bad games selling copies is generally a bad omen.

Halo is good and fun as hell, sorry nerd

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I went for Root instead of Shaw for Jordi because of personality (Root has the same sense of satisfaction when a plan comes together) but it's not really 1-for-1 and most of the PoI episodes I've caught with Shaw were playing up the "beep boop I am an emotional robot" aspect. Hacker girl's the only option we have for Fitz right now, and this last episode was the same kind of job as he does.

I'll definitely grant you that. Personality-wise, Shaw is far more 'if I'm not killing why am I even here?' Which, come to think of it, is a lot like Aiden.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy
To me Watch_Dogs is a perfect example of how a game can be less than the sum of its parts. Taken on its own every aspect of the game is mediocre at worst, with a few parts being genuinely good. As a whole though this forms a game that is deeply unfun. I suppose it is in that area where is too bad to be legitimately enjoyable and not bad enough to be enjoyable in a MST3k way.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

The Heavenator posted:

To me Watch_Dogs is a perfect example of how a game can be less than the sum of its parts. Taken on its own every aspect of the game is mediocre at worst, with a few parts being genuinely good. As a whole though this forms a game that is deeply unfun. I suppose it is in that area where is too bad to be legitimately enjoyable and not bad enough to be enjoyable in a MST3k way.

I dunno, I think it works pretty well.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Press X to Remember.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Great Joe posted:

Press X to Remember.

That is one of the dumbest features in the loving game and I have no idea why the devs decided to put them in. You even have a remember spot at the entrance of the goddamn tunnel, and it's always the same drat clip.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

SSNeoman posted:

That is one of the dumbest features in the loving game and I have no idea why the devs decided to put them in. You even have a remember spot at the entrance of the goddamn tunnel, and it's always the same drat clip.

The worst part is that it is marked on you map in the same way as sidemissions are. :argh:

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
If you want to waste half an hour the Game theorists actually ran over much of the things the Hackers can actually do in real life that the game tries to mirror. If you don't want to watch it I'll distill it.

The red light/green light thing has been messed with a transponder thingy. Interestingly with a range of up to a mile.
The atm thing is simply using the spoofing rfid chip to essentially sneak atm numbers and credit card info off of phones which nowadays can store that info.
The listening in on phone calls is by using artificial cell phone towers.
The lights out thing is part conspiracy and part maybe with a real life event and explosive overclocking.
And the final thing is a spoiler because it hasn't happened yet but has been engineered in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
A few things:

The whole hacking thingie reeks of Syndicate, because there were magic pop up cover/explodey things, but most of the time, you were hacking enemies... or their guns, that had wifi, for some reason. Now, if you wanted to remote explode a grenade, you had to hack an enemy (anybody who's anybody in that game are massively chipped) and he'd suicide bomb. Doesn't explain why you were able to hack grenades mid-air (and retrieve them later on). An interesting thing was fighting poor, unchipped people later on.

As for for AK-47:
Some people claim that AK-47 as such was never actually in use, the first popular version being, I guess, AKM or something (don't quote me on that, I just drag trivia out of /k/). The most popular version of the AK is likely AK-74, which used to confuse the gently caress out of me when I was younger and didn't know much about guns (durr, they made a mistake!). There are AK-100 series, with AK-107 using the old soviet 5.45×39mm round and AK-108 using the NATO version. Just wiki'ed half of it.

Point is, game designers want guns in games while not knowing much about them. I'd also object to grenade launchers existing in game like this much like I object the ridiculous assault rifles and shooting in general in Sleeping Dogs. With a robust melee system, the shooting feels tacked on.

• Locked thread