Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Billy the Mountain posted:

I work on rt 22.

Are we all in central NJ?
Is that your daily commute? My sympathies.

I'm up in Passaic county now, but still have friends down in that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Billy the Mountain posted:

I work on rt 22.

Are we all in central NJ?

I work in NYC, but I live in central jersey.

ASK me about my 2-hours-each-way daily commute :smithicide:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

FireSight posted:

The problem is that HR and managers rarely know how to do what they expect their underlings to do. It only really works if you already have at least 1 competent person in the position you are hiring for.

A basic office skills equivalency test would work well, at a lot of bigger places are starting to do that for all levels of hiring.

Do you know how to open/close/print in word, and make something that closely looks like changes to a file?
Do you know how to open/close/print an excel file, and do basic equations and sum a collumn?
Do you know how to work outlook, open/print an email, make a new email that isn't full of txt speek, and create a calendar invite?

It cuts down on the really useless people entirely, which is handy.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Do you know how to open/close/print an excel file, and do basic equations and sum a collumn?

I don't know how to do this without googling it. :shrug:

I can google it tho, so it would take all of 30 seconds to figure out.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RFC2324 posted:

You're given a computer with office 2010 and the internet, you have 1 hour. There are like 30 questions. If you know what you're doing, you can finish the test in about 10 minutes. If you know how to google, you'll finish in about half an hour. If you're a hopeless waste of space, you'll fail miserably having not been able to turn the computer on after 40 minutes.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Have you literally never used excel before? You should try it out some time as it can be a pretty useful tool.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

A basic office skills equivalency test would work well, at a lot of bigger places are starting to do that for all levels of hiring.

Do you know how to open/close/print in word, and make something that closely looks like changes to a file?
Do you know how to work outlook, open/print an email, make a new email that isn't full of txt speek, and create a calendar invite?

It cuts down on the really useless people entirely, which is handy.
A few years ago, a contracting agency that I hadn't worked with before gave me an MS Office test. I was given a couple of printouts, one was a letter and the other was a table. I was given a laptop that was off the network and told to recreate the documents in an hour. It was for a helpdesk position.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Galler posted:

Have you literally never used excel before? You should try it out some time as it can be a pretty useful tool.

I have, and have in fact done sums and even more advanced equations.

Just not often enough to bother remembering how, when I can do most of that from the CLI.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
You guys really should learn some advanced Excel. I am a storage admin but I have years of experience with Excel and every time one of the other team leads needs some Excel help they come to me and I look like a rock star.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

Just not often enough to bother remembering how, when I can do most of that from the CLI.

Yeah, this.

Syano posted:

every time one of the other team leads needs some Excel help they come to me

This looks like a really good reason to never learn Excel. :v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Excel is the great program ever made

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Excel is the worst program for accomplishing any task, but somehow it will succeed given enough macros and corporate dictates.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

thelightguy posted:

Excel is the worst program for accomplishing any task, but somehow it will succeed given enough macros and corporate dictates.

Let me tell you about Power Pivot.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

thelightguy posted:

What would you recommend instead if I want to quickly perform the same simple formula operation in situ on a data set?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Heners_UK posted:

What would you recommend instead if I want to quickly perform the same simple formula operation in situ on a data set?

Hello I am an IBM salesperson just fill out this simple form and I will tell you for only $2 million

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

peak debt posted:

Hello I am an IBM salesperson just fill out this simple form and I will tell you for only $2 million

Spoilers: it's an old copy of lotus works.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lotus 1-2-3

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Heners_UK posted:

PERL, of course. Python if you're one of those young'ns who don't understand how to write entire CRM systems in one line.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

thelightguy posted:

Python if you're one of those young'ns who don't understand how to write entire CRM systems in one line.

Who would trust a programming language that uses whitespace as a functional delimiter? :colbert:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

thelightguy posted:

PERL, of course. Python if you're one of those young'ns who don't understand how to write entire CRM systems in one line.

Awk for reports you cretins.

Bitesize
Sep 25, 2008
A hate mail came in.

The other day I sent out a mail to all users on behalf of a colleague, informing users to close all documents at the end of each day while we were doing access rights updates. Boring stuff, written in English, because while we are a Norwegian company, we have a lot of foreigners working here.

I get this lovely reply from a private email adress (Translated from norwegian)

to: Bitesize <bitesize@company.com>
"hey you bitesize loving don't send that bloody vomit in english to me. i hate english and i have said so to [the ceo] .and dont send me spam. write it in norwegian.loving human being*"

*"jævla rompis". rompis being a term meaning assman, but as a kind of humorous homophobic term used between friends. mostly. unless you don't know the person, in which case, no.

So it was from a semi anonymized gmail account. Too bad he also used that account while applying for the job, which I found in the employee database.

We laughed. My boss did not find it as funny and now it's an HR matter. Who the hell actually sits down and sends that to someone?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Same kind of person who posts all kinds of insanely damaging stuff all over their public facebook I bet.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Fire the manchild on the spot.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dogstile posted:

Fire the manchild on the spot.

Fire him in English.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

spog posted:

Fire him in English.

He will probably show up the next day, wondering why his janitor's closet won't open anymore.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bitesize posted:

A hate mail came in.

The other day I sent out a mail to all users on behalf of a colleague, informing users to close all documents at the end of each day while we were doing access rights updates. Boring stuff, written in English, because while we are a Norwegian company, we have a lot of foreigners working here.

"hey you bitesize loving don't send that bloody vomit in english to me. i hate english and i have said so to [the ceo] .and dont send me spam. write it in norwegian.loving human being*"

*"jævla rompis". rompis being a term meaning assman, but as a kind of humorous homophobic term used between friends. mostly. unless you don't know the person, in which case, no.

So it was from a semi anonymized gmail account. Too bad he also used that account while applying for the job, which I found in the employee database.

We laughed. My boss did not find it as funny and now it's an HR matter. Who the hell actually sits down and sends that to someone?

This is incredible.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bitesize posted:

A hate mail came in.

Wonderful :allears: some people will just never learn. Back around 2006 I worked a helpdesk job at a fairly large company that had offices in several US states. One day an email comes in, from a guy that was in another location, with the subject "they'll say I quit, but I was FORCED out". Turned out he'd given his notice and it was his last day, but he felt like he had "no choice" but to give notice because management had been uncooperative with him or something. The email was pretty long and was one big grievances.txt to all the managers along with a polite goodbye to the people the guy worked with and liked.

He apparently thought better of the email (or an admin got into his account and tried to recall the message) but it didn't get recalled until almost a half hour later. I'm sure he never planned on coming back and the company can't legally say anything about him to another employer, but drat, even I wouldn't risk a nasty email on my last day.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
At one company, some guy quit (not for any big reason) and decided to email everyone in the company a photo of an erect cock with multiple piercings. Given that this was an office job, this appeared in the inboxes of a lot of ladies for varying ages.

This did not go down well, as any adult will appreciate. The police were called in.

(I never heard what happened to him in the end)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

tomapot posted:

I used to live in Union, NJ - gently caress Route 22.

I live in Union. 22 should be hazard pay if you have to drive it between 7 AM - 7 PM any given day.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Coworkers external Toshiba drive poo poo the bed and I'm seeing if I can pull anything off it.

30 gigs of data and I'm running ddrescue. It's pulled 6 gigs with 433 errors and a current transfer rate of 35,00 bytes/second. It's been running for almost four hours.

Don't know what the hell she did and it's not clicking but it's pretty well hosed.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Ozz81 posted:

I'm sure he never planned on coming back and the company can't legally say anything about him to another employer, but drat, even I wouldn't risk a nasty email on my last day.

There's nothing illegal about giving an accurate negative reference in the US.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MisterOblivious posted:

There's nothing illegal about giving an accurate negative reference in the US.

It's still risky and offers no benefit to the company giving the reference.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Most medium-large companies will only confirm the length of your employment for this very reason.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks Swayodash.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

No way.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

So what is this Windows server patch that Rackspace is telling me needs to be updated and your computer restarted with so much urgency?

edit: Found it, it's even got a cute name, Sand Worm!

For reference: CVE-2014-4114

edit2: wait no, sandworm is the name of the group that is actively using the exploit for cyber-espionage.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 14, 2014

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

deimos posted:

So what is this Windows server patch that Rackspace is telling me needs to be updated and your computer restarted with so much urgency?

edit: Found it, it's even got a cute name, Sand Worm!

For reference: CVE-2014-4114

edit2: wait no, sandworm is the name of the group that is actively using the exploit for cyber-espionage.

Man PowerPoint keeps getting worse and worse

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Man PowerPoint keeps getting worse and worse

Suspicions are that PPT is just the convenient attack vector and the one they used to discover the bug, but that it can be far nastier than that.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

deimos posted:

Suspicions are that PPT is just the convenient attack vector and the one they used to discover the bug, but that it can be far nastier than that.

Nothing has showed up in my Windows Update yet but it's security bulletin MS14-060 for when it does go live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Nothing has showed up in my Windows Update yet but it's security bulletin MS14-060 for when it does go live.

Holy crap this combo is crazy: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-oct

MS14-058 is probably worse than 060.

deimos fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 14, 2014

• Locked thread