Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

I like how they give a whole detailed breakdown of the type of Christianity in Germany and the US, then they get to Australia and just paint the whole thing Protestant (even though Catholics have outnumbered Protestants in most areas (rural belts being the exception) for a few decades now. And if they're going to paint a section of NY Jewish, they could probably paint a few sections of Sydney Muslim. Or painted Bali Hindu, instead of Sunni along with the rest of Indonesia. A Lazy Map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I'm also confused by the map's use of brown and grey. What are they supposed to mean - no data, animism, whatever else? Are my eyes deceiving me or is the inner Congo painted in the same shade of brown as most of SE Asia, parts of the Brazilian jungle and almost all of Madagascar?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
In true map tradition, the further away from Europe it gets, the less detailed and accurate it gets and the more "eh this stuff all looks pretty much the same" goes.

3peat
May 6, 2010

One interesting thing about this is that Hausa-Fulani are now considered a single group, but even tho the Fulani population is really tiny compared to the Hausa (who are the biggest ethnic group in Nigeria), almost the entire elite in northern Nigeria are Fulani: from the traditional emirs and sultans to businessmen, politicians, etc. The richest black person in the world is a Fulani. You can even tell them apart, as Fulani people tend to have lighter skin than the others and they look more like east-africans/people from the Sahel.

This goes back to pre-colonial times, when the Fulani arrived in the area a few hundred years ago in a jihad to spread Islam from sea to sea and established the Fulani empire, in which they were obviously the elite. Then the english came and conquered the place, and they struck a deal with the local rulers that was something along the terms "we accept british rule and won't cause trouble, and in turn you don't bring your Christianity and western education here and you let us do our own thing". That way, the rigid social structures that allowed Fulani domination were preserved to this day.

Oh and there's an interesting effect of the traditional society in the north: even though most Nigerian rulers after independence (including iirc all military rulers that took power through coups) have been northerners, the general population in the north is way poorer than in the south; on the other hand the northern elite is way richer than the southern elite.

quote:

The way Sharia law functions in Nigeria is different from other places, in that people can choose between Sharia Courts and secular Federal Courts and if you don't like the verdict you get in one, you can go to the other. Most times the choice is a no-brainer, as for example an offence can get you either 100 lashes or 5 years in a federal prison (and Nigerian prisons are not the nicest places to hang around in). OTOH if the Sharia court hands out (heh) verdicts like hand cutting or stoning, you go get your federal prison time, and as far as I know no Sharia death sentence has been actually carried out in Nigeria.
There's also the issue that in cases involving inheritance, divorce, land disputes, etc Sharia Court is way cheaper than getting a lawyer and going to Federal Court, so in those cases most poor people prefer the former

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

And if they're going to paint a section of NY Jewish, they could probably paint a few sections of Sydney Muslim.

These sorts of complaints are irritating since you can just get ever more specific about whats not on the map to the point of absurdity, wheres the Muslims in Paris? Where are the Christians in Cairo? Where are the Bahá'í in Tehran? Where are the Jews in Melbourne? Where are the Buddhists in San Antonio? Where are the Jedi in Edinburgh? ...etc. Cities are always a kaleidoscope of people and religions and its really difficult to show that on a map that's trying to display the whole world, it might have been better off to just not show that Jews are in New York at all.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've never heard of anyone tipping in Finland ever. Not even "keep the change". If you're doing "keep the change" you're probably either incredibly drunk or a show-off douchebag. Or a tourist.

Caveat: I haven't been to a fancy restaurant and paid for it in a long time.

Edit: Oh, it might happen in a taxi, since they - for obvious reasons - don't carry a lot of money. Although everyone pays with plastic surely.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 12, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Krokerik posted:

re: forcing a language on your population.

That's pretty average in the 19th century, honestly. Not that the language policy in Finland is remotely logical these days.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

I like that they say China is "Confucian" and have a Taoist symbol for it.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Religion maps are always a mess when it comes to Eastasia. Like yeah you can argue Confucianism is a religion but that doesn't mean that most if not all of that area isn't also Buddhist, and if Vietnam and Korea count as Confucian I would think Japan would too.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

I like how they give a whole detailed breakdown of the type of Christianity in Germany and the US, then they get to Australia and just paint the whole thing Protestant (even though Catholics have outnumbered Protestants in most areas (rural belts being the exception) for a few decades now. And if they're going to paint a section of NY Jewish, they could probably paint a few sections of Sydney Muslim. Or painted Bali Hindu, instead of Sunni along with the rest of Indonesia. A Lazy Map.

It's just completely US-centric. The largest Christian church in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Estonia is Lutheran (and that's pretty freely available information) but they just get splashed with the Protestant brush. If we're going to split all the Protestant branches the UK should be split into Anglican and Presbyterian as well. And the Netherlands is majority Catholic. Protestant literally just means "protest" so if you're a Christian but not a Catholic you are, by the simple definition, a Protestant. This would have been an interesting map if the same effort that was put into the US was put into everywhere.

Judaism in New York is a stupid one and it looks like the mapmaker has brought Jewish ethnicity in when this is a map about religion. It is estimated that about 15-20% of people in NYC have some sort of Jewish heritage but only about 3% identify as Jewish by religion. They're easily outstripped by Protestants and completely outnumbered by Catholics.

And to top it all of Confucian is only regarded as a religion in the west because we can't think of a word to describe what it really is. The closest we've got is "a philosophy" but even that doesn't cover it. And if the majority of people in Vietnam identify it as their "main religion" then I'm the Pope.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I maintain that the biggest religion in the Sinosphere is "I do these rituals at Weddings, wakes, holidays, and funerals because everyone from my parents to my distant ancestors have been doing them for the past 5000 years and the rest of the time I don't even think about it".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

duckmaster posted:

Protestant literally just means "protest" so if you're a Christian but not a Catholic you are, by the simple definition, a Protestant.

Everyone forgets about the Orthodox. :(

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

3peat posted:

One interesting thing about this is that Hausa-Fulani are now considered a single group, but even tho the Fulani population is really tiny compared to the Hausa (who are the biggest ethnic group in Nigeria), almost the entire elite in northern Nigeria are Fulani: from the traditional emirs and sultans to businessmen, politicians, etc. The richest black person in the world is a Fulani. You can even tell them apart, as Fulani people tend to have lighter skin than the others and they look more like east-africans/people from the Sahel.

This goes back to pre-colonial times, when the Fulani arrived in the area a few hundred years ago in a jihad to spread Islam from sea to sea and established the Fulani empire, in which they were obviously the elite. Then the english came and conquered the place, and they struck a deal with the local rulers that was something along the terms "we accept british rule and won't cause trouble, and in turn you don't bring your Christianity and western education here and you let us do our own thing". That way, the rigid social structures that allowed Fulani domination were preserved to this day.

Oh and there's an interesting effect of the traditional society in the north: even though most Nigerian rulers after independence (including iirc all military rulers that took power through coups) have been northerners, the general population in the north is way poorer than in the south; on the other hand the northern elite is way richer than the southern elite.

The way Sharia law functions in Nigeria is different from other places, in that people can choose between Sharia Courts and secular Federal Courts and if you don't like the verdict you get in one, you can go to the other. Most times the choice is a no-brainer, as for example an offence can get you either 100 lashes or 5 years in a federal prison (and Nigerian prisons are not the nicest places to hang around in). OTOH if the Sharia court hands out (heh) verdicts like hand cutting or stoning, you go get your federal prison time, and as far as I know no Sharia death sentence has been actually carried out in Nigeria.
There's also the issue that in cases involving inheritance, divorce, land disputes, etc Sharia Court is way cheaper than getting a lawyer and going to Federal Court, so in those cases most poor people prefer the former

Thet's a really nice writeup. I'm ashamed to admit that everything I know about that region came from video games :downs:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

duckmaster posted:

Protestant literally just means "protest" so if you're a Christian but not a Catholic you are, by the simple definition, a Protestant.

Protestant is a little more specific than "not Catholic" as neither the Orthodox nor the Monophysite churches are Protestant. A better definition would be Christian churches founded after (and the dogma of which is informed by the principles of) the Reformation.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

duckmaster posted:

I think some people might disagree with you about this one.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

duckmaster posted:

It's just completely US-centric. The largest Christian church in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Estonia is Lutheran (and that's pretty freely available information) but they just get splashed with the Protestant brush. If we're going to split all the Protestant branches the UK should be split into Anglican and Presbyterian as well. And the Netherlands is majority Catholic. Protestant literally just means "protest" so if you're a Christian but not a Catholic you are, by the simple definition, a Protestant. This would have been an interesting map if the same effort that was put into the US was put into everywhere.
It is kinda weird that Lutheranism is there in the US, but not included in the countries which supplied those Lutherans in the first place. It doesn't exactly seem to be that obscure a fact that the region was settled by a bunch of people from the Nordic Countries, all of which are majority Lutheran (including Greenland and Iceland), and the US Lutheran population is nearly matched by Sweden alone so it's not even that the population here is comparatively tiny.

Some parts of Germany might be majority Lutheran too, though Lutheranism was historically stronger in the regions of Germany which has suffered the most from German misadventures, and of course Namibia is majority Lutheran too.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Protestant is a little more specific than "not Catholic" as neither the Orthodox nor the Monophysite churches are Protestant. A better definition would be Christian churches founded after (and the dogma of which is informed by the principles of) the Reformation.
Yeah, Protestant would probably be closer to "non-Catholic Western Christianity", though obviously that isn't a perfect definition either.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 12, 2014

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Finland has a Lutheran state church, the kind you are in automatically if your parents are members but can opt out later. 75% of the population are members. They even have their own tax. The majority of church members go for weddings and funerals but not much else so the statistic is kind of misleading.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

doverhog posted:

Finland has a Lutheran state church, the kind you are in automatically if your parents are members but can opt out later. 75% of the population are members. They even have their own tax. The majority of church members go for weddings and funerals but not much else so the statistic is kind of misleading.
If the level of religiosity was a factor then the map would look very different I think.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Antti posted:

I've never heard of anyone tipping in Finland ever. Not even "keep the change". If you're doing "keep the change" you're probably either incredibly drunk or a show-off douchebag. Or a tourist.

Caveat: I haven't been to a fancy restaurant and paid for it in a long time.

Edit: Oh, it might happen in a taxi, since they - for obvious reasons - don't carry a lot of money. Although everyone pays with plastic surely.

You mean if in a restaurant you have to pay 9.60 Euro, you never give a 10 bill and be done with it? It's not expected but it's a nice gesture. Also I hate doing money math.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I don't think I've ever seen a completely convincing -- or even 'good enough' -- map of world religions. I think partly because religion is in and of itself a fairly ambiguous and historically fraught concept (not to mention relatively recent in its current understanding). There's a 19th-century-holdover tendency to assume that 'world religions' are all basically mad libs variants of western Christianity, which can hold up fairly well in some areas but pretty much breaks down as an analytical method when you get to something like China.

e: Reminds me of an anecdote I was told about the first Parliament of the World Religions in (I think) the early 1900s. Apparently they got some person to represent each world religion and asked them to fill in a form with things like 'what do you think God is' etc., the guy who was meant to represent Confucianism basically said 'none of this has anything to do with us, here's an essay I wrote instead' and got ignored for it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

You mean if in a restaurant you have to pay 9.60 Euro, you never give a 10 bill and be done with it? It's not expected but it's a nice gesture. Also I hate doing money math.
Yes, same as in most European countries I have dined out in. "Nice gesture" can even get "this is against our policies" response sometimes. All that and prevalence of card transactions over cash. Like, right now I live in country where 80% of purchases are being made by cards. :sweden:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zohar posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a completely convincing -- or even 'good enough' -- map of world religions. I think partly because religion is in and of itself a fairly ambiguous and historically fraught concept (not to mention relatively recent in its current understanding). There's a 19th-century-holdover tendency to assume that 'world religions' are all basically mad libs variants of western Christianity, which can hold up fairly well in some areas but pretty much breaks down as an analytical method when you get to something like China.

e: Reminds me of an anecdote I was told about the first Parliament of the World Religions in (I think) the early 1900s. Apparently they got some person to represent each world religion and asked them to fill in a form with things like 'what do you think God is' etc., the guy who was meant to represent Confucianism basically said 'none of this has anything to do with us, here's an essay I wrote instead' and got ignored for it.
At the very least there should be some catch-all 'philosophy and traditions of [region]' "religion", which combined with overlapping religions on the map should be able to much better represent the actual beliefs of the people being represented.

kalstrams posted:

Yes, same as in most European countries I have dined out in. "Nice gesture" can even get "this is against our policies" response sometimes. All that and prevalence of card transactions over cash. Like, right now I live in country where 80% of purchases are being made by cards. :sweden:
Yeah, in my experience here in Denmark, paying in cash is basically for really old people, young children, and when there's some technical problem. The latter would pretty much be the only reason to carry cash around at all for most people, which also means they pretty much only use it for that.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Lots of other issues have been brought up already with this map so I'll just pile on to say that Oman isn't Sunni, it's Ibadi. The Ibadis always get ignored though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

kalstrams posted:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, in my experience here in Denmark, paying in cash is basically for really old people, young children, and when there's some technical problem. The latter would pretty much be the only reason to carry cash around at all for most people, which also means they pretty much only use it for that.

Scandinavians living in the far future :qq:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Our cold disposition toward our fellow human beings drives us toward any technology which will further isolate us from them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Our cold disposition toward our fellow human beings drives us toward any technology which will further isolate us from them.

You guys don't even live in Scandinavia! You lost Skane centuries ago!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 12, 2014

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Torrannor posted:

You guys don't even live in Scandinavia! You lost Skane centuries ago!

That's a temporary situation :denmark:

Anyway it's mostly a reference to a shared history/culture.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

It's just because beer costs a billion € there so they presumably stay indoors at all times. Try making your way to the card terminal in a really crowded bar on a Friday night. You're lucky if you're able to make it to the counter to pay with whatever you can find in your pockets.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I read a book once about a Croatian expat who lived in Denmark. She worked there with her husband for several years and wrote about similarities/differences between Scandinavian and Balkan mentality. It was pretty interesting read. I mean, you cold bastards don't even pay for other people's coffee when you are the one asking them out, what's up with that? :colbert:

Then again, using credit cards for almost everything and having a government administration that's *gasp* actually efficient sounds like a sweet deal.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Disco Infiva posted:

I mean, you cold bastards don't even pay for other people's coffee when you are the one asking them out, what's up with that? :colbert:

They WHAT!? :eek:

Sorry, culture shock.

edit: Intentionally hyperbolic culture shock

my dad fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 12, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I feel like we've had this exact same discussion before. Next phase in the thread cycle is Americans posting maps about 'pop' versus 'soda'

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Phlegmish posted:

I feel like we've had this exact same discussion before. Next phase in the thread cycle is Americans posting maps about 'pop' versus 'soda'

Cycles remind me of China, and China reminds me of coal.

Insert coke joke here

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Phlegmish posted:

You forgot coke.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my dad posted:

Sorry, culture shock.

You can seriously offend Swedish girl by insisting to pay for her coffee/muffin/whatever on a fika you invited her to.

In Latvia that is a real :psyduck:, but here it slowly makes sense.

Edit: Your small letters tricked my phone.:(

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 12, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

my dad posted:

Sorry, culture shock.

It's not culture shock because scandanavian isn't a culture. It's just weirdo igloos-instead-of-houses insanity.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Disco Infiva posted:

You forgot coke.

Surprised Milwaukee and St. Louis are bastions of civilization. Any reason why they're the only places in the Midwest not to use "pop"?

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Surprised Milwaukee and St. Louis are bastions of civilization. Any reason why they're the only places in the Midwest not to use "pop"?

I think it has to do with them having large breweries, thus changing their name for carbonated water.

And the south using Coke is a part of a long trend of prefering brand names to describe generic products (All tissues are Kleenex, all sodas are "cokes", there are more examples but those are the first two to come to mind)

There, can we avoid this becoming a long conversation again? (No, no we can't)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Low numbers of samples in other states/parts of states going by the web page.

Also anecdotally I've never heard anyone call it anything but "Soda" except when I'm in Michigan.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Tonic. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
It's nice to be able to pay with card pretty much everywhere here (speaking as a Swede), except in crowded bars/nightclubs. Then i always bring crash, makes the process a bit faster, unfortunately many patrons still keep paying with cards, so the already cluttered bar desk gets even more cluttered.