Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rei_ posted:

JINBA MELON, YOU FUCKS

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY ZANGETSU SHIN JINBA MELON

It's the normal Zangetsu, but Shin wouldn't have a Jinba form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris Knight posted:

Am I the only one who likes the Post Geki/Post Decade constant bombardment of new forms, mechs, and powerups? I mean, I like that it's not just the initial team's stuff, Six's stuff. maybe a super mode or something. I like seeing the team get stronger THROUGHOUT the series, and get new powers.

Except that's always been a thing.

Like, with the exception of Ultraman and UltraSeven, that's ALWAYS been a thing in toku. Some are more obvious than others but you don't need flashy new toys to show the heroes are getting more powerful or get new powers.

The original Kamen Rider? He was constantly learning new techniques-same as Kamen Rider Niigo. V3 had an entire PLOT LINE about how he had 20 something secret powers he had to learn over the series, and then he started coming up with new ones to combat ever more powerful foes!

X got a physical upgrade by V3, Amazon got the little trinket that gave him more power, Stronger got the CHARGE UP power up and the usual new techniques, Sky Rider got a whole new form thanks to training.

Black especially is WAY more powerful by the end. By the end, after he's been revived and has the Satan Saber in hand, he is truly the Century King, heir to the Creation King's throne, and you can tell just how powerful he's gotten when he one shots a monster that, in the past, would have given him a lot of trouble.

RX got new forms, Kuuga is the KING of this whole thing.

You don't need lovely hot wheels to show that your hero is getting more powerful as the series goes on. It should be self evident at the very least.

The only franchise where the heroes getting stronger isn't as apparent is Ultraman, and even that's a lie after the first two. While they pretty much never change and never get more powerful, every series after them sees the hero grow and get new weapons and poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Burkion posted:

You don't need lovely hot wheels to show that your hero is getting more powerful as the series goes on. It should be self evident at the very least.

But you do need them to sell toys, which is a bigger priority for Bandai.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

But you do need them to sell toys, which is a bigger priority for Bandai.

Not really the focus of what I was talking about. Though I will say, time and again, they really should have done a better job with these things. They're JUST toys now.

Going to give a bit of a spoiler- if you guys follow Podcasters with Attitude, expect to see my and Wade's review of the first episode of Drive semi soon. In there we discuss why these don't work as well as the rings, or the memories, or really any of the other gimmicky things we've gotten.

The long and short of it is- while you could buy the medals or the lock seeds on their own to have them, they're not really toys unless they also come with the belt and everything-they're just collectible accessories.

These things are straight up toys. You don't need anything else-they're loving hot wheels.

I'd say they just need to use actual action figures to transform next year, only Ultraman beat them to it.

It's not going to change, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother me and isn't lame.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Burkion posted:

Not really the focus of what I was talking about. Though I will say, time and again, they really should have done a better job with these things. They're JUST toys now.

Going to give a bit of a spoiler- if you guys follow Podcasters with Attitude, expect to see my and Wade's review of the first episode of Drive semi soon. In there we discuss why these don't work as well as the rings, or the memories, or really any of the other gimmicky things we've gotten.

The long and short of it is- while you could buy the medals or the lock seeds on their own to have them, they're not really toys unless they also come with the belt and everything-they're just collectible accessories.

These things are straight up toys. You don't need anything else-they're loving hot wheels.

I'd say they just need to use actual action figures to transform next year, only Ultraman beat them to it.

It's not going to change, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother me and isn't lame.

Counterpoint: By selling individual self contained toys, you move more volume and have to spend less in construction and production costs on more expensive items that only move in limited quantities which is particularly important in the sagging economy. It's easier to shift the cars themselves if they can stand alone and don't require the belt, and little kids love cars.

It's a way to get more merch out of cheaper manufacturing and design materials and grab kids earlier.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Counterpoint: By selling individual self contained toys, you move more volume and have to spend less in construction and production costs on more expensive items that only move in limited quantities which is particularly important in the sagging economy. It's easier to shift the cars themselves if they can stand alone and don't require the belt, and little kids love cars.

It's a way to get more merch out of cheaper manufacturing and design materials and grab kids earlier.

This doesn't refute the fact that I myself do not care for it. That does not make it wrong nor does it make Bandai wrong- but I guess time will tell how well it succeeds.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It seems to have been working for them for the last few years.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I think thats a part of why the Ranger Keys gimmick worked all around in Gokaiger from a toy selling perspective. They were collectable, easily partitioned into nostalgia-tapping sets, and were tiny action figures. Also all the sound effects were in the expensive centerpiece and they all were extremely similar in shape, some pieces all easily using the same mold.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
TeiOh and ToQ Rainbow toy reviews are hitting youtube and TeiOh's transformation form train to robot is amazing. You can tell a lot of imagination went into it.

Just kidding. It's literally "stand up, attach head" lol it's a bad toy y'all

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

everythingWasBees posted:

Well, this happened.

What am I looking at?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dexie posted:

What am I looking at?

A video driver/codec error. Someone posted about this problem earlier I think. Something about needing to re-download a codec pack.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This week's ToQ was a really great followup to last week's. And the Hyper Ressha / Tei-Oh was cooler than I expected. Especially considering how it transforms.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Man is Drive's music good. I like the show so far, but the soundtrack stands out for how great it is.

Potsticker posted:

This week's ToQ was a really great followup to last week's. And the Hyper Ressha / Tei-Oh was cooler than I expected. Especially considering how it transforms.

Yeah Tei-Oh is honestly the best looking mech they have on the show. Too bad Rainbow Ressha/whatever is gonna ruin that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah Tei-Oh is honestly the best looking mech they have on the show. Too bad Rainbow Ressha/whatever is gonna ruin that.

There's a sort of old style feel to it I really dig. I haven't been following the toy scans for ToQ so I'm not sure what to expect from Rainbow except, you know, docking and standing up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Potsticker posted:

There's a sort of old style feel to it I really dig. I haven't been following the toy scans for ToQ so I'm not sure what to expect from Rainbow except, you know, docking and standing up.

Yeah it really does feel like an older Sentai robot in a lot of ways and is so good because of it and regarding the final form: You know how it looks laying down as a platform with all the trains on top? Bend that fucker up 90 degrees and you have the Rainbow final fusion robot.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Cernunnos posted:

A video driver/codec error. Someone posted about this problem earlier I think. Something about needing to re-download a codec pack.

The beta of CCCP, specifically. Assuming everythingWasBees just updated nvidia drivers.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah it really does feel like an older Sentai robot in a lot of ways and is so good because of it and regarding the final form: You know how it looks laying down as a platform with all the trains on top? Bend that fucker up 90 degrees and you have the Rainbow final fusion robot.

Hahaha. That sounds really, really terrible. And I looked up a picture of it. The phrase "Train Wreck" seems both really applicable and at the same time, completely the opposite.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Burkion posted:

This doesn't refute the fact that I myself do not care for it. That does not make it wrong nor does it make Bandai wrong- but I guess time will tell how well it succeeds.

No sir! I won't tell you what to like or dislike, just the whys and wherefores of what I think they're trying to do. Personally, the only toys I'm interested in from the series are S.H. Figuarts, so it's a moot point for me. I'll still watch the show and get the first rider Figuart for sure.

Even did that for Wizard and I loving hate wizard.

Acervus
Aug 7, 2007

Namaste
Has anyone managed to figure out what car the Trideron is built on?

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Acervus posted:

Has anyone managed to figure out what car the Trideron is built on?

A Honda (not a surprise) NSX, apparently.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Drive 02 (click)

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I see OT's trying to be faster than Drive himself :rolleyes:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I guess they've really got it in gear, huh?

Drive is still good, Tomari hitting the nail on the head with the Drive Driver's origin was pretty funny.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

vroom vroom

nyrrrrrrrrrr

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Trigger warning for this week's drive: More plastic furniture carnage!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

TerminusEst13 posted:

vroom vroom

nyrrrrrrrrrr

WE DON'T MAKE FUN OF WINSPECTOR HOMAGES IN THIS HOME, BOY.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

NotALizardman posted:

I guess they've really got it in gear, huh?

Drive is still good, Tomari hitting the nail on the head with the Drive Driver's origin was pretty funny.

Tomari being genre savvy and trying to piece together the metaplot is going to be AMAZING :allears:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Rei_ posted:

WE DON'T MAKE FUN OF WINSPECTOR HOMAGES IN THIS HOME, BOY.

Shut up you're not my real dad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not countining movies is this the first time the name "Kamen Rider" has been said in-series since Fourze(IE: mentioned by a character in the show) or did it pop up at some point during Wizard and Gaim?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 13, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can't say anything for Wizard, but I think Gaim was Armored Riders to the end.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaim was definitely Armored Riders to the end. I found it disappointing that we never got a big moment towards the end of the series where Gaim declared himself a Kamen Rider instead of an Armored Rider.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't say anything for Wizard, but I think Gaim was Armored Riders to the end.

Possibly to avoid dilution of the brand, so to speak. In Ryuki, everyone is a Kamen Rider because what a Kamen Rider is now that the Heisei were deviating from the standard established by Showa wasn't firmly defined outside of "person in armor".

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
...No it's just some shows pick and choose where they feel like using the term Kamen Rider inside the series. Brand dilution doesn't mean anything when it's in the title card.

Kuuga and Agito don't even really refer to their title dudes by Kuuga and Agito much!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

eh if Kamen Rider gets namedropped these days it's usually justified somehow

like remember in Fourze when they called the destruction of Fuuto Tower With All of Fuuto Watching an urban legend

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yosuke posted:

Brand dilution doesn't mean anything when it's in the title card.

I meant among the individual riders, since there were so many in Gaim.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
It...still doesn't really change the fact that they're officially listed as Kamen Riders though? The inquiry being made here is whether or not the characters in the shows actually use the term to refer to them as such inside their respective universe. I don't think it'd be a numbering reason because they're perfectly fine having a bunch on screen at once in movies.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I wonder if the Kamen Rider name comes from the urban legend in W and Fourze, or if there's yet another new meaning to it this time.

Dexie posted:

Gaim was definitely Armored Riders to the end. I found it disappointing that we never got a big moment towards the end of the series where Gaim declared himself a Kamen Rider instead of an Armored Rider.

Hopefully they do it in one of the upcoming crossovers, if they haven't already.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know about Double, but Fourze pretty clearly got Kamen Rider from the originals, as they were all urban legends.

And yeah, Heisei has been kind of odd about what they call the heroes. Kuuga was never called a Kamen Rider, and was just as often called Number 4 as he was Kuuga.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yosuke posted:

I don't think it'd be a numbering reason because they're perfectly fine having a bunch on screen at once in movies.

Yeah, but those are Riders that fit what a Kamen Rider is. Sid, for instance, clearly isn't a "Kamen Rider" in universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
And no one is debating that? Because Gaim exclusively uses the term Armored Rider to refer to all belt users one way or another, even if the Rider isn't actually named. Zangestu was called the "White Armored Rider" until they found out who he was, and they pretty much call each other by name even when transformed anyway.

But yeah, pretty much every Heisei show used the words Kamen Rider whenever they felt like it. Some shows use it in dialogue, and some don't.

Kuuga, Agito, Hibiki, Den-O and Kiva were content using the names commonly (even if Kuuga was only ever used by Godai), but never referred to themselves by the title Rider outside of a crossover. And the names in Hibiki were their actual names. Faiz didn't even say the names of the Gears from what I remembered, while Blade and Kabuto used it as the names of the systems (though Blade did use Rider on occasion. It wasn't consistent though like say, W or Fourze).

• Locked thread