Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

al-azad posted:

Any killer tips or things to avoid in Shadow of Mordor?

Do not upgrade your health if you can avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Do not upgrade your health if you can avoid it.

Why's that?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

al-azad posted:

Why's that?
I'd guess because dying triggers the Nemesis system, which seems to be pretty rad.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

al-azad posted:

Why's that?

The majority of the games complaints seem to stem from people finding it to be too easy at a certain point. Since dying isn't necessarily a setback, a logical solution would be to make you easier to kill. You could argue either way honestly

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The majority of the games complaints seem to stem from people finding it to be too easy at a certain point. Since dying isn't necessarily a setback, a logical solution would be to make you easier to kill. You could argue either way honestly

Veteran Batmanners will find it a bit too easy once you get some of the later abilities, of course you don't really have to use the super powered ones.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, I just took out 20 orcs and a captain no problem because the combat is so similar to Batman but some of these assholes with immunity to everything except some random fear is kind of fun so good tips so far. I'd definitely get the elven sprint first, it turns you into Flash.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Demon Souls? I've played Dark Souls 1 and 2 but the second is proving surprisingly challenging.

The three types of physical damage massively affect your ability to kill different types of enemies, so it's worth having one of each available (I.e a blunt for skeletons, a piercing for molemen and a slashing for the blight town equivalent).

The majority of bosses are puzzle bosses, so figuring out their gimmick is important.

Stockpile Thomas is the most important character in the game & the stat that increases carrying capacity is the most important stat.

Fight King Allant as your last arch demon (he's the 5th boss of the left most arch stone), the other arch demon's are underwhelming and make for a bad final boss.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

al-azad posted:

Any killer tips or things to avoid in Shadow of Mordor?

Honestly, aside from "dont be afraid to die", the only thing I would add is; There is an ability that lets you briefly immobilise an enemy by shooting his leg. That is way more useful than it might seem when it unlocks for purchase because although I have only rarely used it in combat, I have used it more than a few times when an enemy commander was running away to catch up with him.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

The Iron Rose posted:

Demon Souls?

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Demon%27s_Souls

Pablo Gigante posted:

Haven't played it in years, but here's some stuff I remember:

The game doesn't use the same structure as DkS, you have a central hub level (the Nexus) from which you can access the five discrete "levels" of the game, each of which are subdivided into several different sections unlocked by beating bosses. You don't have to play every level in order and in fact you can't progress all the way through the first level until you beat a boss later on in the game.

Definitely use a guide for weapon upgrades, some of the upgrade paths are really esoteric compared to Dark Souls 1 and 2. The blacksmith who can do these upgrades is found at the bottom of a lift in the second world.

While you're in phantom form (equivalent to hollowing in DkS), your max health is cut in half, but you find a ring early on in the first level that increases it to 75%.

Yeah Bro posted:

The three types of physical damage massively affect your ability to kill different types of enemies, so it's worth having one of each available (I.e a blunt for skeletons, a piercing for molemen and a slashing for the blight town equivalent).

The majority of bosses are puzzle bosses, so figuring out their gimmick is important.

Stockpile Thomas is the most important character in the game & the stat that increases carrying capacity is the most important stat.

Fight King Allant as your last arch demon (he's the 5th boss of the left most arch stone), the other arch demon's are underwhelming and make for a bad final boss.

-If you feel like you're going to spend an appreciable amount of time with the game, look up a guide for world tendency and character tendency.
--Character tendency is similar to Sin in the later Souls games.
--World tendency will come back to bite you if you don't know how it works. If you're not a completionist, you can ignore world tendency by playing online.
-Pay attention to the location of glowing items that are out of reach, and take time to look for alternate paths of approach. Some items require vertical platforming in poorly lit areas. Be prepared to make a leap of faith but don't expect survive on your first try.
-There is a vaulting mechanic in Demon's Souls that was never used in Dark Souls 1 or 2. You simply hold the left stick towards a waist high ledge and you will automatically climb over it.
-When you go to world 1, if you look carefully you might see an NPC overlooking some enemies. I believe it's just past the blue eyes knight, through the fog door, at the bottom of the stairs. You can vault over the ledge here and speak to him. Make sure to pick up the item behind him, as it comes in handy throughout the game.
-When you go to world 2, bring a piercing weapon.
-When you go to world 3, bring your best rolling technique and your preferred weapon to ambush/stun-lock enemies.
-When you go to world 4, bring a blunt weapon.
-When you go to world 5, bring fire. And Lotus.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm going to give The Last of Us a go. In general I prefer gaming on the pc, but I'm considering getting the ps4 re-mastered edition what would goons recommend?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

I'm going to give The Last of Us a go. In general I prefer gaming on the pc, but I'm considering getting the ps4 re-mastered edition what would goons recommend?

It sounds like you're wondering if you should play it on the PC or the PS4, in which case it's not on the PC.

Unless you're asking if you should play it on the PS3 or PS4, in which case I can't see any reason to play it on the PS3.

Unless you're asking if you should play it at all, in which case absolutely yes.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Anyone got anything for Defense Grid: The Awakening? I've been dicking around with it while waiting for the Winter Sale and the hope that the sequel is on sale. I'm not entirely sure I need stuff about it but I love reading goons thoughts on games in this thread even for poo poo I'm not playing or have no interest in playing.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Random Hajile posted:

Is there anything really useful to know going into the Game of Thrones RPG?
Not really. I mean I focused on big fuckoff 2-handed swords and found the AE stun in that tree very useful, but I'm sure it can be played in a different style as well.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I added a list of the ten most recently added pages to the front page of the wiki:

http://www.beforeiplay.com

For funsies. It'll update automatically as new pages are added, of course.

Probably not very useful, but at least it is some indication that the site hasn't been abandoned.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Centipeed posted:

It sounds like you're wondering if you should play it on the PC or the PS4, in which case it's not on the PC.

Unless you're asking if you should play it on the PS3 or PS4, in which case I can't see any reason to play it on the PS3.

Unless you're asking if you should play it at all, in which case absolutely yes.

Thanks, yeah I'm asking if I should play on PC or PS4. I'm definitely going to play it. Any particular reason I shouldn't go for the pc version?

edit: I'm an idiot who can't read. PS4 it is.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 12, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tea Bone posted:

Thanks, yeah I'm asking if I should play on PC or PS4. I'm definitely going to play it. Any particular reason I shouldn't go for the pc version?

The requirement that you travel to an alternate universe where it exists or fund the development of one is fairly onerous.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The requirement that you travel to an alternate universe where it exists or fund the development of one is fairly onerous.

Haha, poo poo, I've got so used to any games I want also being available on pc that I automatically assumed it existed.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

Haha, poo poo, I've got so used to any games I want also being available on pc that I automatically assumed it existed.

Naughty Dog are owned by Sony, so there's very little chance we'll ever see it on anything but Playstation. It's a system-seller for them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

PRL412 posted:

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Demon%27s_Souls

-If you feel like you're going to spend an appreciable amount of time with the game, look up a guide for world tendency and character tendency.
--Character tendency is similar to Sin in the later Souls games.
--World tendency will come back to bite you if you don't know how it works. If you're not a completionist, you can ignore world tendency by playing online.
-Pay attention to the location of glowing items that are out of reach, and take time to look for alternate paths of approach. Some items require vertical platforming in poorly lit areas. Be prepared to make a leap of faith but don't expect survive on your first try.
-There is a vaulting mechanic in Demon's Souls that was never used in Dark Souls 1 or 2. You simply hold the left stick towards a waist high ledge and you will automatically climb over it.
-When you go to world 1, if you look carefully you might see an NPC overlooking some enemies. I believe it's just past the blue eyes knight, through the fog door, at the bottom of the stairs. You can vault over the ledge here and speak to him. Make sure to pick up the item behind him, as it comes in handy throughout the game.
-When you go to world 2, bring a piercing weapon.
-When you go to world 3, bring your best rolling technique and your preferred weapon to ambush/stun-lock enemies.
-When you go to world 4, bring a blunt weapon.
-When you go to world 5, bring fire. And Lotus.

Major, major portions of world 4-1 and 5-1 can be skipped entirely with some creative jumping. It's particularly useful in 5-1 because that level is annoying.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Is it worth it to play Dark Souls 1 on PC now? Is the multiplayer element a main part or can it be played as a single-player action-RPG?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ryoshi posted:

Major, major portions of world 4-1 and 5-1 can be skipped entirely with some creative jumping. It's particularly useful in 5-1 because that level is annoying.

Oh, goodness, this. The jump in 4-1 is not at all obvious, though, so if you find yourself hating the game for killing you over and over in bullshit ways on a certain narrow cliffside path (you'll know it when you get there), be aware that there is a way to skip it, but you'll probably have to look up a shortcut video to find it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Is it worth it to play Dark Souls 1 on PC now? Is the multiplayer element a main part or can it be played as a single-player action-RPG?

My first playthrough was on an internet-less Xbox 360, and I had a grand ol' time. The multiplayer is extremely fun, and it sucks that you can't play it, but the game itself does not rely on it.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The multiplayer is absolutely secondary. The player messages are the coolest online feature, and they should still be around even if the playerbase has moved on.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ryoshi posted:

You can also do this on 2-2 I believe (there is a HUGE pit you can drop down), but the jumps are incredibly precise. Note that halfway down is a red phantom who has an amulet that lets you cast miracles and spells (very very handy and the only one in the game that has this trait); although I think world tendency affects whether he appears or not.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Centipeed posted:

Naughty Dog are owned by Sony, so there's very little chance we'll ever see it on anything but Playstation. It's a system-seller for them.
Naughty Dog must be punished for abandoning their stellar PC roots. I will be the instrument of this punishment. Via a sternly-worded Tweet.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

1redflag posted:

You can also do this on 2-2 I believe (there is a HUGE pit you can drop down), but the jumps are incredibly precise. Note that halfway down is a red phantom who has an amulet that lets you cast miracles and spells (very very handy and the only one in the game that has this trait); although I think world tendency affects whether he appears or not.
He only appears in Pure Black IIRC, otherwise he's a regular NPC.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quarex posted:

Naughty Dog must be punished for abandoning their stellar PC roots. I will be the instrument of this punishment. Via a sternly-worded Tweet.

They abandoned their PC roots with Rings of Power which would have been so awesome on PC.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pablo Gigante posted:

He only appears in Pure Black IIRC, otherwise he's a regular NPC.

I believe you are correct. Also, i remember him being an absolute bitch that I cheesed with arrows. Also, Patches is one of the most important NPC in the game, as you can buy infinite heavy arrows from him when he shows up in the Nexus. Also, if you don't want to lose all of your NPC friends (and want a sweet set of armor), consider offing the NPC with large verticle horns on his helmet you find hanging in a iron maiden cage after he moves to the Nexus (he hangs out in the very back of one of the second floor chambers).

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Microsoft never shut down GFWL, if that's what you're referring to. You can still do all of the multiplayer stuff in the PC version. Unless there's another reason you can't play online, of course.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, aside from "dont be afraid to die", the only thing I would add is; There is an ability that lets you briefly immobilise an enemy by shooting his leg. That is way more useful than it might seem when it unlocks for purchase because although I have only rarely used it in combat, I have used it more than a few times when an enemy commander was running away to catch up with him.

This is also handy for the green enemies that contain intel; a good way to get them, if they're hanging out in a group, is to creep up on one of the other orcs, brutalize them, and when the group scatters, chase down the worm and interrogate him for intel. Having the pinning shot makes this process a little easier.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I just bought the Geneforge series and I don't know where to start. Are any of them incredibly outdated and should be skipped or anything?

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm starting up Yakuza 4 and haven't played the first three games. I read the wiki, anything else I should know?

Regarding the story, can each game be summarized in one sentence? I noticed the game has a handy dandy selection of lengthy cutscenes summarizing the first three games but I don't want to sit through them if I don't have to.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

year199X posted:

I'm starting up Yakuza 4 and haven't played the first three games. I read the wiki, anything else I should know?

Regarding the story, can each game be summarized in one sentence? I noticed the game has a handy dandy selection of lengthy cutscenes summarizing the first three games but I don't want to sit through them if I don't have to.

I'd really reccommend watching the cutscenes because there's a lot of plot points that are hard to gloss over in one or two sentences. If you don't want to watch them all, at least watch the Yakuza 3 one, since it ties the most directly into 4.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

year199X posted:

Regarding the story, can each game be summarized in one sentence?

Yakuza: Kazuma Kiryu is badass.
Yakuza 2: Kazuma Kiryu is a total badass
Yakuza 3: Holy poo poo, Kazuma Kiryu is such a loving badass

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That's a weird way to spell Goro Majima.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That will do, thanks. Also, no one told me I'd spend an inordinate amount of time trying to clean out the crane game in the arcade.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

year199X posted:

That will do, thanks. Also, no one told me I'd spend an inordinate amount of time trying to clean out the crane game in the arcade.

Yakuza: The combat is pretty deep for a WarioWare game.
Yakuza 2: Oh, my God, it's full of minigames.
Yakuza 3: Ping pong, pachinko and hostess. And Yakuza, I guess.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Shadow of Mordor.

poptart_fairy posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Don't fret about anything - all your unlockables are on the map, all achievements are gained from stuff you can easily do in-game, and the game itself encourages you to just gently caress about and do things at your own pace.

This. Also, killing the warchiefs is the end of the first part of the game.

I'd add that it's wise to use detective vision when entering a new area to look for the captains, as you could have some un identified ones walking around that can pop up at inopportune moments.

Caragors are strong climbers.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Flame112 posted:

I just bought the Geneforge series and I don't know where to start. Are any of them incredibly outdated and should be skipped or anything?

I haven't played GF myself but there's a Spiderweb Megathread that can probably give you very specific info if you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

After pretty much beating the poo poo out of New Vegas yesterday I've started playing Hitman Absolution again but it's been so long since I've played it I don't really remember anything.