Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That's quite a while to have to wait to be able to declare war after a refused ultimatum. I should perhaps just have made an event for it, oh well gives me time to gather the Canadian military and bring them to Britain. Also the Germans are super vulnerable, I bet I can have the PSA and Australasia basically pick up their entire pacific empire without encountering much resistance.

Before I launch the next phase of the second Weltkrieg and plunge the world into a pool of blood I figured I'd screenshot the casualty tables so far as I quite like that DH actually displays this, gives you a sense of how brutal wars have been even if you haven't been directly involved in most of them.

EDIT:

:kheldragar:

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

:rip:

On the topic of DH, how are you supposed to handle all the micromanagement when you're running a large empire like the UK or Germany? Is it just a matter of slower speeds and pausing constantly?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ThePutty posted:

On the topic of DH, how are you supposed to handle all the micromanagement when you're running a large empire like the UK or Germany? Is it just a matter of slower speeds and pausing constantly?

I usually play wars at Fast and pause a whole lot. It also helps to watch the first few hours of a battle closely. If you make progress in your attack, you're probably gonna win it unless the enemy bombs you or gets reinforcements.
Likewise, if the defender makes progress you have to attack with more dudes, get to ORG bombing or retreat.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ThePutty posted:

Generally speaking for those games I run a high speed with it set to pause whenever anything that requires my input happens.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So it appears that Germany is essentially completely unable to do anything to me because of my naval superiority and lack of land borders. The question I'm asking myself now though is: is this the right time to invade? I'm thinking I would essentially do an alt-history Operation Overlord invading the Grand Duchies of Britanny and Normandy since they are almost completely defenseless and don't appear to have German garrisons. Here is a picture of the situation, you can see the forces at my disposal here.

That's 15 Canadian divisions, 11 British and 35 American, I also have some marine divisions lurking about in the Atlantic taking islands from Castille. Canadian and British divisions are armor, mec and mot, Americans are all infantry. Could this be enough? I could again possibly bring over 20-40 new divisions from America, especially since i have not taken control of the PSA military yet. Here is the intel I have on Germany.

Also due to me losing my nuclear research I did as Canada they are much further along with regards to getting nukes than I am. And that could turn out to be kind of bad..

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 12, 2014

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I'd try and work on allies at this point, you'll get swarmed and destroyed if you put everything in Brittany.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

GrossMurpel posted:

I think that happens when the USA is winning, i.e. you have to deal with it every time you try to win the Civil War as them.

EDIT: Looking at the file, it seems to happen when AUS is losing. Does anyone know what "lost_national" means in the triggers?

It fires when the AUS are losing, but Reed almost never agrees to it. On the rare occasions when he does, it almost certainly spells doom for the Federal Government and results in a Cold War between the AUS and CSA.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Small aside: In my Austria > Danubian Federation game UoB declared war on Ireland but they're not really doing anything, the same thing happens every time Sweden and Norway declare war on each other. Canada also never seems to invade UoB without my intervention. I'm thinking of teaming up with the Entente for exactly this reason!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Randarkman posted:

So it appears that Germany is essentially completely unable to do anything to me because of my naval superiority and lack of land borders. The question I'm asking myself now though is: is this the right time to invade?

Put troops ashore in Castile and any other low-tech low-infrastructure bad-terrain places you can find. Force the Germans to spread out to confront multiple landings, then pick and choose where to defeat them in detail. Keep tac bombers on logistic bombing to mess with supply and movement. Also, strat bombers.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Mister Adequate posted:

It fires when the AUS are losing, but Reed almost never agrees to it. On the rare occasions when he does, it almost certainly spells doom for the Federal Government and results in a Cold War between the AUS and CSA.

How does it result in a cold war when literally the moment the USA is annexed an event fires to force war between the CSA and AUS?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Not to derail from KR-chat, but I found a pretty fantastic (though probably fake) pair of posts on the EU4 forums -

truth666 posted:

Culturally, both islam and the semi-asian orthodox countries were traditionally west-hater civilizations. Hungary is a Central European country, and part of the Catholic-Protestant western civilization. Hungary is not Eastern European (Orthodox = semi-asian culture) country.

What is Western Civilization?
The earliest mention of Western civilization “Occidental civilis”
After the Great Schism (The East-West Schism /formally in 1054/, between Western Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Christianity.) Hungary determined itself as the easternmost bastion of Western civilisation (This statement was affirmed later by Pope Pius II who wrote that to Emperor Friedrich III, “Hungary is the shield of Christianity and the protector of Western civilization”)
It is not a secret in history, that countries civilizations are/were not in the same level of development.
It is well-known that Western and Central Europe, ( the so-called Western civilization) was always more developed than Orthodox Slavic or Eastern European civilization.
The cultural the societal-system and the economical civilizational (and technological) differences between Orthodox countries and Western Christian (Catholic-Protestant) countries were similar great, as the differences between Northern America (USA Canada) and Southern- (Latino) America.

MEMENTO:
Western things which were not existed in orthodox world:

1. POLITICAL AND CONSTITUTIONAL development: Medieval appearance of parliaments (a legislative body(!), DO NOT CONFUSE with the “councils of monarchs” which existed since the beginning of human history), the estates of the realm, the clergy, the nobility, and the commoners,

2. SELF GOVERNMENT status of big royal/imperial cities, (local government systems of cities), which are the direct ancestors of modern self/local governmental systems.

3. ECONOMY: The medieval appearance of banking systems and social effects and status of urban bourgeoisie, the absolute dominance of money-economy (when the vast majority of trade based on money and the taxes customs duties were collected in money) from the 12th -13th century, instead of the former primitive bartel-based commerce (barter dominated the economies orthodox world until the 17-18th centuries.)

4. HIGHER EDUCATION: The medieval appearance of universities and the medieval appearance of secular intellectuals,

5. CULTURE: Knights, the knight-culture, chivalric code, (and the technological effects of crusades from the Holy Land,)
Music and literature: courtly love, troubadours, Gregorian chant, Ars nova, Organum, Motet, Madrigal, Canon and Ballata, Liturgical drama, Novellas,
medieval western THEATER: Mystery or cycle plays, morality and passion plays, which developed into the renaissance theater, the direct ancestor of modern theaters.
Philosophy: Scholasticism and humanist philosophy,

6. The medieval usage of Latin alphabet and medieval spread of movable type printing,

7. TECHNOLOGY: The guild system is an association of artisans or merchants, which organized the training education, and directed master's exam system for artisians. Due to the compulsory foreign studies of the artisian master's candidates, the guilds played key role in the fast spread of technologies and industrial knowledge in the medieval Western World.

8. The defence systems & fortifications: The spread of stone/brick castle defense -systems, the town-walls of western cities from the 11th century. (In the orthodox world, only the capital cities had such a walls . The countries of the Balkan region and the territory of Russian states fell under Ottoman/Mongolian rule very rapidly - with a single decesive open-field battle - due to the lack of the networks of stone/brick castles and fortresses in these countries. The only exception was the greek inhabited Byzantine territories which were well fortified.)

9. FINEARTS and ARCHITECTURE: western architecture, sculpture paintings and fine-arts: the Romanesque style, the Gothic style and the Renaissance style.
The orthodox church buildings and „palaces(?)” were very little, they had primitive structure and poor decorations, their style were influenced by non-European arabic and persian influenced Byzantine ornamentics.

The renaissance & humanism , the reformation and the enlightenment did not influenced/affected the Orthodox (Eastern European) countries.
Before 1870, the industrialization that had developed in Western and Central Europe and the United States did not extend in any significant way to the rest of the world. In Eastern Europe, industrialization lagged far behind, and started only in after WWI or WW2.
hungarian nationalism :allears:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

quote:

Ottoman Empire was poor and backward country like the balkans. Half of the population of modern Turkey were nomads until the 17th century.

This guy's a loving goldmine!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ah I thought point three was him arguing western civilization invented the concept of an economy.

Also I am pretty sure Hungary never had a constitution or anything close really.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Oh Kaisarreich.... :downs:

Anyway, now that I've liberated the UK as Canada, do any more events fire for major wars (currently it's 1942).

Germany steamrollered France and now with Britain out of the picture, seems like Europe will be pretty quiet for the rest of the game unless I force a war.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also I am pretty sure Hungary never had a constitution or anything close really.

They had and have the Holy Crown, they need nothing more.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Oh Kaisarreich.... :downs:

Anyway, now that I've liberated the UK as Canada, do any more events fire for major wars (currently it's 1942).

Germany steamrollered France and now with Britain out of the picture, seems like Europe will be pretty quiet for the rest of the game unless I force a war.

Britain will at some point (after the election if it wasn't cancelled) try to re-assert its dominance over Ireland especially if its ruled by the military or the National Party and to a somewhat lesser extent the Conservative Party. Ireland will usually refuse their demands and this will cause Britain, if any of the above are ruling, to declare war on Ireland, that should cause a war with Germany as they are almost certainly guarenteeing their independence.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

KR chat prompted me to play a Union of Britain game. However, when Alsace-Lorraine or War! rolled around, France decided that their "new weapons are not ready yet" so now it's 1941 and I fear Germany's IC advantage over France will become too much, and they'll steamroll through Paris before I can safely establish garrisons in Normandy, wait for France to fall and then begin reconquering and reestablishing France as my own puppet

Should I just keep waiting, or force a war by declaring war on Germany myself?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ofaloaf posted:

KR chat prompted me to play a Union of Britain game. However, when Alsace-Lorraine or War! rolled around, France decided that their "new weapons are not ready yet" so now it's 1941 and I fear Germany's IC advantage over France will become too much, and they'll steamroll through Paris before I can safely establish garrisons in Normandy, wait for France to fall and then begin reconquering and reestablishing France as my own puppet

Should I just keep waiting, or force a war by declaring war on Germany myself?

Force it. France gets poo poo on if they wait because they're too retarded to use their nukes properly.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

brocretin posted:

Not to derail from KR-chat, but I found a pretty fantastic (though probably fake) pair of posts on the EU4 forums -

hungarian nationalism :allears:

These were beautiful.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
My first attempt at Russia had Germany steamroll France in a few months and the Federal Government handily win the American Civil War. Wound up with a democratic Russia that was supposed to try to expand in Central Asia, but after I took the first country (modern day Kazakstan) things seemed to stall. I had a core on the further south Central Asia nations but couldn't declare war and there didn't seem to be any more events.

My second attempt had me go Communist and France crushed Germany so fast that I had to launch a hasty war to seize the Ukraine before they turned it into a puppet. It's only late 1938 early 1939 and France owns most of Europe as released puppets. They literally blitzed right up through the Baltic States and were entering Ukraine before I managed to grab (most) of it. Reds seem to be winning the wars in Spain and America too, so I guess this is going to be a red world. I guess I can go beat up on some minors or something.

I dunno.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Go west, young man. Bring Totalism to the degenerate Syndies.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Any hints on how to learn how to play DH? I kinda want to try Kaiserreich now.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
I've got an issue with he Steam version of Victoria 2: Whenever I try to run it, Steam crashes. I've had look for solutions, but nothing seems to work and, as far as I can tell, this only affects Vicky 2. Any ideas?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

MorphineMike posted:

I've got an issue with he Steam version of Victoria 2: Whenever I try to run it, Steam crashes. I've had look for solutions, but nothing seems to work and, as far as I can tell, this only affects Vicky 2. Any ideas?

Have you cleared the map cache? I can't remember whether it's C:\My Docs\Paradox Interactive\Victoria II\map\cache or C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Victoria 2\map\cache , but no harm in clearing both I don't think.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

I've seen it fire a bunch of times, then days later it breaks before they've had time to do anything. Go figure.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Autonomous Monster posted:

Go west, young man. Bring Totalism to the degenerate Syndies.

But aren't we supposed to be Commu-Buddies? :ohdear:

Also, I like the country ~roleplay~ aspects, but I feel like I keep running into things like this:

quote:

It's time to elect a new Prime Minister, this is a very important decision that will have long lasting effects on our country! Who should we choose?

A.) Bob Smith (Plaid party)
B.) Steve Anderson (Lime party)
C.) Larry Goldsmith (Turtle party)
D.) Donald Brown (Boot party)

Then you sort of have to try to puzzle out what might happen by studying how the tooltips will shift your policies around.

:confused: :iiam:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fintilgin posted:

Also, I like the country ~roleplay~ aspects, but I feel like I keep running into things like this:

Then you sort of have to try to puzzle out what might happen by studying how the tooltips will shift your policies around.

I usually save before those decisions and find out what the hell they do one at a time.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Also where the heck are decisions in HoI2 based games.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gorelab posted:

Also where the heck are decisions in HoI2 based games.

Only DH has them, they're the second button in the top left between the list of all provinces you own button and the list all your armies button.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Only DH has them, they're the second button in the top left between the list of all provinces you own button and the list all your armies button.

And most of the content in Kaiserreich predates them, not to mention scheduled elections don't really fit for them. The problem is that you can't access any menus or check anything when an event is sprung on you, so if you don't remember if any of those ministers are already in your cabinet or what they do, TOUGH CRAP.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Are there like any good places to read on like basic units and stuff I should be having in groups? I am kinda lost though I think I could probably make Germany get to the point where the Soviet Union pushes in my face.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

Allyn posted:

Have you cleared the map cache? I can't remember whether it's C:\My Docs\Paradox Interactive\Victoria II\map\cache or C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Victoria 2\map\cache , but no harm in clearing both I don't think.

Yep, cleared both. It's weird, it was running fine for a little bit then, despite me changing nothing, it just started crashing at the "Preparing to Launch Victoria 2..." screen

E: I decided to retry it and now it works fine :iiam:

MorphineMike fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 12, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Played a bit more in my KR game just now. I've been having a real phony war with Germany, no major battles occuring apart from a few naval clashes and air battles above Britain. Improving relations with potentially useful neutrals is slow since it seems most kind of dislike me, and I've all but given up getting the Soviets on my side, just getting them positive would require me to influence them every chance until summer 1944 or something.
I did however get this event, and seized the opportunity and change of pace it granted me with glee.

Fast forward a week and Ireland is once again British, then I figure that if people don't want to ally me the diplomatic way I can invade their countries and take their IC and resources at least. I figured Norway would be easy and potentially useful as a naval and airbase so I cooked up some phony casus belli and invaded and subjugated the neutral country, purely because of security concerns mind you, a legitimate government will be set up once the situation that necessitated the invasion has passed.

This still isn't really getting me that much closer to an invasion of Germany, though I suspect this war will end in nuclear fire so I've started building a nuclear reactor to make sure it is Berlin that burns, if not alone then at least first. But then at the end of the year, guess who decides to press their territorial claims against Ukraine?

Yup. It's gonna be good.

The Soviets are estimated to have around 200+ infantry divisions compared to around 100 for Germany and 50 for Ukraine and White Ruthenia together.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

It's a bit silly when all the difference it does is which Head of State you get and you don't know what each one does.
If there's no "no immediate effect" notifer in the option, there probably won't be a followup event (I think one or two events are triggered by "event X has happened" instead of vice versa but that's it)

E: ^^^^^^ Is it even possible to get someone to join your alliance in KR? I don't think I ever managed it outside of events.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 12, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

E: ^^^^^^ Is it even possible to get someone to join your alliance in KR? I don't think I ever managed it outside of events.

I remember earlier in that game that I had someone, might have been the United Provinces, with like ~10% chance to bring them into my alliance, though I might have been mistaken there, because I figured I wouldn't bother.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gorelab posted:

Any hints on how to learn how to play DH? I kinda want to try Kaiserreich now.

I was bored and just recorded an hourlong intro video/very basic tutorial for DH: Kaiserreich. Would anyone be actually interested if I uploaded that to Youtube? Not as an actual longrunning LP, but as a general overview of Hearts of Iron and how it's different from other Paradox games like EU4 and CK2 that are maybe more accessible.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Drone posted:

I was bored and just recorded an hourlong intro video/very basic tutorial for DH: Kaiserreich. Would anyone be actually interested if I uploaded that to Youtube? Not as an actual longrunning LP, but as a general overview of Hearts of Iron and how it's different from other Paradox games like EU4 and CK2 that are maybe more accessible.

Yes? I tried DH but bounced right off it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Go for it, it may even get some more people interested!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I would watch it so yes, imo :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, now China's involved as well. This is not gonna end well.

EDIT:

I'm also well underway with an invasion of Europe, France will hopefully soon be liberated. After the Soviets attacked I waited 4 months until April and then launched an attack thinking, correctly that most of the German army would be engaged in the east, this is less than 3 weeks into the invasion.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 13, 2014

• Locked thread