Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That's because Nicolas is crazy. The fact you are defending PL should make you think twice because you completely forgot the fact what DB was about.

You are arguing what 13 year olds argued about. In fact half the poo poo you said was in the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Shindragon posted:

That's because Nicolas is crazy. The fact you are defending PL should make you think twice because you completely forgot the fact what DB was about.

You are arguing what 13 year olds argued about. In fact half the poo poo you said was in the anime.

He who fights with 13 year olds should look to it that he himself does not become a 13 year old. And when you gaze long into the power levels the power levels also gaze into you.

-Master Roshi

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
You know, I haven't seen it in a while, but Goku vs Cell has always annoyed the hell out of me. Didn't Goku blow off the entire top half of Cell's body? Couldn't he have just, you know, fired another Kamehameha to destroy the lower half?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He put everything he had into it, he was too spent to do anything.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Momomo posted:

You know, I haven't seen it in a while, but Goku vs Cell has always annoyed the hell out of me. Didn't Goku blow off the entire top half of Cell's body? Couldn't he have just, you know, fired another Kamehameha to destroy the lower half?

We've already come to the conclusion that Goku is a battle-driven megalomaniac with zero social awareness and no foresight. It's a good thing that everyone else is, too.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Momomo posted:

He used 99% of his energy to do that, he was basically done after that.

Still, the rest of the Z fighters should have been less stupid and basically destroyed the rest of Cell for Goku, but you know it doesn't work like that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I think Saiyans can breathe in Space. At least Goku did in the Movie and they all did when Freiza blew them the gently caress up.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda think King Piccolo might have been stronger than we've assumed, because even after everything Goku trained for, all his skills and everything, he gets completely wrecked by King Piccolo and actually has to resort to a technique we never see again, which is like an Ozaru energy punch. And it was the only decisive hit Goku lands on him. Piccolo Jr. was nowhere near that challenging, he only trained himself to reverse Mufabasa or whatever that technique is called.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Momomo posted:

If I remember right, they didn't know about Cell's regeneration at the time. Plus, Goku probably thought literally disintegrating his brain would kill him outright.

Kild posted:

I think Saiyans can breathe in Space. At least Goku did in the Movie and they all did when Freiza blew them the gently caress up.

Upper atmosphere?

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

Mordaedil posted:

I kinda think King Piccolo might have been stronger than we've assumed, because even after everything Goku trained for, all his skills and everything, he gets completely wrecked by King Piccolo and actually has to resort to a technique we never see again, which is like an Ozaru energy punch. And it was the only decisive hit Goku lands on him. Piccolo Jr. was nowhere near that challenging, he only trained himself to reverse Mufabasa or whatever that technique is called.

Goku completely outclassed King Piccolo. It was your classic Dragon Ball fight where the villain can't touch the hero. Piccolo gains the upper hand only by taking a hostage and forcing Goku to take his attacks head on without defending himself. Goku has to use that technique you mentioned because he only has one arm left to attack with after that.

The Piccolo Jr. fight on the other hand is one of the closest fights in the series. Piccolo makes a point to leave all of Goku's limbs useless after what happened to his father. Goku is able to win though because he kept it a secret that he can fly. He is able to dodge Piccolo's attack and deliver a headbutt from high altitude that incapacitates Piccolo, but definitely isn't enough to kill him. Goku on the other has a huge hole in his chest and would have most likely died if not for a senzu bean.

There's no way that you can call the King Piccolo fight more challenging. It may have been more suspenseful though because of the events that lead up to it and the fact that the Piccolo Jr fight was a tournament bout.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Prison Warden posted:

If I remember right, they didn't know about Cell's regeneration at the time.

Vegeta, Trunks, Krillin, and Android 16 all saw it earlier. At least half the spectators should have known better.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Goku completely outclassed King Piccolo. It was your classic Dragon Ball fight where the villain can't touch the hero. Piccolo gains the upper hand only by taking a hostage and forcing Goku to take his attacks head on without defending himself. Goku has to use that technique you mentioned because he only has one arm left to attack with after that.

The Piccolo Jr. fight on the other hand is one of the closest fights in the series. Piccolo makes a point to leave all of Goku's limbs useless after what happened to his father. Goku is able to win though because he kept it a secret that he can fly. He is able to dodge Piccolo's attack and deliver a headbutt from high altitude that incapacitates Piccolo, but definitely isn't enough to kill him. Goku on the other has a huge hole in his chest and would have most likely died if not for a senzu bean.

There's no way that you can call the King Piccolo fight more challenging. It may have been more suspenseful though because of the events that lead up to it and the fact that the Piccolo Jr fight was a tournament bout.

I had to refresh my memory a bit, I clearly recalled it wrong.

I do think King Piccolo had some more interesting abilities that we didn't see in the later fight. Like eye-lasers.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Kild posted:

Guess what?

Anime only!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Guess what?

Anime only!

Battle of the Gods is canon. Boss Rabbit? He powerpoled his way to the moon.

Vegeta trying to blow up earth while still on it? Unless he thought he could get his spaceship in the debris or some poo poo before the atmosphere dissipates.

Vegeta on that Asteroid when he goes Super Saiyan.

Kild fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 12, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It's really inconsistent throughout the series honestly. Like the examples you had. It would be pretty funny if Freeza was just bluffing with Goku about Sayians not being able to breathe in space just to scare him.

Goku could be that gullible.

But then again even King Kai thought it because that's why they couldn't wish Goku back because the person is wished back to the place they are. I think he emphasized that Goku wouldn't have anywhere to breathe.

I just chalk it up to they can hold their breath for a long amount of time really.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 12, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

Battle of the Gods is canon. Boss Rabbit? He powerpoled his way to the moon.

Vegeta trying to blow up earth while still on it? Unless he thought he could get his spaceship in the debris or some poo poo before the atmosphere dissipates.

Vegeta on that Asteroid when he goes Super Saiyan.

The distance to the moon in Dragon Ball terms is really brief. Roshi could blow it up with a Kamehameha and it had zero impact on tides around the planet, so it is fair to surmise it was really small too.

It could be within whatever they have as a breathable atmosphere.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh my god why are so many of my posts in this thread berating people about DBZ. What am I doing with my life.
There is no greater calling than arguing on the internet about which fictional character could beat who in a fight.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Goku vs Arale, go. :colbert:

On a slightly more meaningful note, i took a look at how many episodes of Dragon Ball the anime and started laughing. Someone let me know if they ever Kai that show, ill just pickup the manga sometime.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Thyrork posted:

On a slightly more meaningful note, i took a look at how many episodes of Dragon Ball the anime and started laughing. Someone let me know if they ever Kai that show, ill just pickup the manga sometime.

Arale.

But look, SSJ God Goku could totally beat Superman because,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thyrork posted:

That isn't even a question. Arale beats Goku hands down. She's only meaningfully challenged by characters like Onepunch Man or Luckyman. :colbert:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yusuke Urameshi, Kenshiro, and Raditz-Era Goku, go

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

Yusuke's got that punk fighting style that the other two can't handle

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Babe Magnet posted:

Yusuke would be able to fight stronger versions of Goku.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 12, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thyrork posted:

? The Dragonball anime is fine. There's a fair amount of filler but it's pretty much all good.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Thyrork posted:

Oh hello repressed Tenkaichi 3 memories, how are you doing today? Here to remind me how many times I had to repeat that fight? Thanks, I needed that!

You suck, Goku!
You suck, Goku!
You suck, Goku!

:shepicide:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Goku is able to win though because he kept it a secret that he can fly.

I always thought that he didn't know how to fly before and just spontaneously picked it up (like he has done with other things before.)

Doesn't matter either way I guess.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
So, severely wounded base Vegeta or Raichi? I still can't decide who's going to win. I feel like Raichi and his abilities have been played out so he has nothing left to add to the story. But Vegeta is practically dead on his feet.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Thyrork posted:

Everybody knows Arale was Freeza-level before Dragon Ball even existed :colbert:

Petiso fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 12, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

In It For The Tank posted:

So, severely wounded base Vegeta or Raichi? I still can't decide who's going to win. I feel like Raichi and his abilities have been played out so he has nothing left to add to the story. But Vegeta is practically dead on his feet.

Could end as a double KO!

Genocyber posted:

? The Dragonball anime is fine. There's a fair amount of filler but it's pretty much all good.

Well okay then, ill give it a try. :3:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I hope Emperor Veggie just immediately blows him up because this would be a really loving dumb way for him to lose.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

Does Raichi have anybody left in reserve? The only one I can think of is Recoome, so its either Recoome (could happen, Vegeta is totally spent), or Hatchiyak.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

furiouskoala posted:

Does Raichi have anybody left in reserve? The only one I can think of is Recoome, so its either Recoome (could happen, Vegeta is totally spent), or Hatchiyak.

Recoome powerdunking Vegeta out of nowhere would be the best way to end this fight tbh.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Thyrork posted:

Could end as a double KO!

Well okay then, ill give it a try. :3:

Dragonball is a very different series from DBZ, mostly because adventure actually takes precedence over fighting for the majority of the story, As a result, the pacing is very different, since they don't just jump from opponent to opponent, but actually have a lot of different plot threads going on.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

I hope Emperor Veggie just immediately blows him up because this would be a really loving dumb way for him to lose.

And yet incredibly in-character.

StrifeHira posted:

Oh hello repressed Tenkaichi 3 memories, how are you doing today? Here to remind me how many times I had to repeat that fight? Thanks, I needed that!

You suck, Goku!
You suck, Goku!
You suck, Goku!

:shepicide:

Oh good, it's not just me. AI Arale is a brutal, merciless monster and kid Goku is just horribly outclassed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Kenshiro can beat any goku.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I still think the best DBM moment it when Neko Majin fused with nobody. I'll miss universe 2.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shindragon posted:

He's right, though. The "power levels are useless" meme is just as wrong as the "SSJ3 Goku has a power level of 100000000000000000000" fan theorizing.

Toriyama created powerlevels to:

a) show that the good guys, who generally started off weaker, were so good at using ki that they could overcome "stronger" people. Radditz had a power level of 1500 and Piccolo had one of 800? (just making up numbers - don't feel like looking them up). Fine, Piccolo is so awesome that he made at attack that raises him to 2000, that can actually kill Radditz. It also shows how someone like Roshi could blow up the moon way back when as well (put all of his ki into one blast that tires him out).

b) A quick, rigid, comparison between characters. It adds a lot of drama when you see that someone is literally 5 times more powerful than someone else. Then, the reader is like, "oh, how can he beat him?"

c) Making Freeza seem ungodly powerful and impossible to reach.

Vegeta realized that "scouters were poo poo" once he realized that the good guys could move their ki all over the place depending on technique (or hide it), which was the hero advantage in the show. It still had a usage to show exactly where people were at relative to each other, however. Then, after Freeza, the villains became more about "you can't kill them because, while they're not that much more powerful, they can do everything you can do and you have to obliterate every bit of them." The changed focus is why that all got thrown out.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Kenshiro can beat any goku.

Who needs energy beams when you just make up a special move to counter anything you want on the spot.

Unless you want to tell me Kenshiro has a special move specifically against tanks thrown at him.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Kenshiro's nothing! In case you haven't noticed, Kuwabara's got a sword!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Squallege posted:

Kenshiro's nothing! In case you haven't noticed, Kuwabara's got a sword!

• Locked thread