Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

nielsm posted:

You need to mix the entire kit at once, to get 1 L of each solution. However after that you can measure out however much you need for each development.

So, if the kit is good for 10 films, and you have a 500 ml tank that takes two rolls at a time, you would pour 500 ml of the developer solution into the tank, do the development thing, and pour the used developer back into your bottle together with the still-fresh developer. You can reasonably continue to do that until you get worse results from development, usually after 10 or so rolls.

You could optionally have a replenisher to add to the working solution once in a while, to keep it fresh.

For B/W development, if you use Xtol, that can be used in the stock solution as both developer and its own replenisher. I.e. take however much you need off your working solution, develop, mix used developer back into bottle of working solution, and add a bit of fresh stock.
Other developers can also be used with replenishment, but Xtol is the only one I know of that is replenisher for itself.

Thank you, much appreciated. I might give one of the 1L kits a go and see how it compares to the lab development. Lately my lab has been delivering scratched and dirty negs so it can't be hard to beat that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
You'll be very angry/happy when you realise how easy it is to get good results.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BANME.sh posted:

London Drugs

Huh. That's weird - why wouldn't you just toss the CD/prints in the trash on your way out of the store if you wanted dev-only?

I can't remember what the downtown camera shop charged me for C-41 the last time I was there, months and months ago, but I think it was like $4 / roll. I've got an E-6 kit I think I've built up enough rolls to make it worth cracking it open, I really should get on that.

On the other hand, I've been quite happy with the prints I've ordered from London Drugs.

Gargonovitch posted:

Any Canadian goons know where I can get E6 or RA4 chemicals from?
All the E6 kits I've found are liquid, and so they're ORM-D in the States, so Freestyle and B+H won't ship it across the border. I can get it processed, but Don's is charging $16.59 per roll for 135 and $11.00 per roll for 120, which is horseshit. A kit would pay for itself in 2 rolls.
I found a place that will order RA4 chems in for me, but I have to buy a minimum of 4 kits or they won't do it. If someone wanted to do a group buy I guess we could, but I'd really rather just buy one kit.
I'm in Saskatoon. I bought my Tetenal 1L E-6 kit from macodirect.de. Shipping is expensive, but as usual works on thresholds - pile on a bunch of film to spread out the shipping cost, which won't go up from the 20-euro or whatever it'll cost for just the kit.

If it comes to a group buy I'd be interested in RA4 for a reasonable price.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ExecuDork posted:

Huh. That's weird - why wouldn't you just toss the CD/prints in the trash on your way out of the store if you wanted dev-only?

The way I'm reading it, dev costs $4.99/$5.99 if you get prints or a CD (which cost extra, presumably more than two bucks), while dev only costs $6.99/$7.99.

The obvious solution is to order "1 print of exposure #1", for $0.29, and qualify for the "with prints" price, but they probably mean "prints of the whole roll".

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
door by PC-P, on Flickr

ape
Jul 20, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Do any of you use a DSLR to digitize color negatives? And if so, do you have any Lightroom presets to recommend for getting rid of the orange tone?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Do any of you use a DSLR to digitize color negatives? And if so, do you have any Lightroom presets to recommend for getting rid of the orange tone?

This is gonna be your answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Yes

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm amazed that this is still making the rounds. It's a solid tutorial.
That was one of my first MF photos

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I added it to the OP to cut down on it being requested every other page, we are now down to it being posted every 4th or 5th page.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
The reason I followed it up with the LR preset question is because I'm thinking about digitizing all my parents' 35mm stuff, which is all color negative. I have a V750 but flatbeds are pretty drat time consuming for a job of this scale, which doesn't require the be all, end all of quality. No way am I going to be tweaking any but the absolute best shots of them individually, I just need something "good enough" I can run everything through.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The reason I followed it up with the LR preset question is because I'm thinking about digitizing all my parents' 35mm stuff, which is all color negative. I have a V750 but flatbeds are pretty drat time consuming for a job of this scale, which doesn't require the be all, end all of quality. No way am I going to be tweaking any but the absolute best shots of them individually, I just need something "good enough" I can run everything through.

If you have PS, you can create an action to do Auto-Levels or Auto-Color, then run the action on that batch of photos. Should give you a reasonable starting point for minor tweaks.

KatticusFinch
Aug 19, 2014

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Tried some caffenol film developing a few weeks ago. Turned out okay for a first attempt. Hopefully I can get access to a scanner better suited for film soon.

Lines by KatticusFinch, on Flickr

Bike Rack by KatticusFinch, on Flickr

Alley Men by KatticusFinch, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

alkanphel posted:

If you have PS, you can create an action to do Auto-Levels or Auto-Color, then run the action on that batch of photos. Should give you a reasonable starting point for minor tweaks.

That works, thanks!

edit: Also, I bought an immersion circulator for doing sous vide. It's mighty tempting to use for developing C-41 or E-6, thing will hold a cooler full of water within .2C all day. On the other hand, mixing something I prep my food with, with chemicals...

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 13, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That works, thanks!

edit: Also, I bought an immersion circulator for doing sous vide. It's mighty tempting to use for developing C-41 or E-6, thing will hold a cooler full of water within .2C all day. On the other hand, mixing something I prep my food with, with chemicals...

Use a tub within the main tub filled with water to hold the chemical tanks if you're worried about your impeller getting gunked up with chemical residue.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

Use a tub within the main tub filled with water to hold the chemical tanks if you're worried about your impeller getting gunked up with chemical residue.

drat, that's a great idea. Not so much worried about gunking up the thing so much as potentially contaminating food, but that would solve it.

edit: so yeah dudes and dudettes, you should buy a sous vide rig to 1) develop film and 2) enjoy delicious food. I've got a Sansaire, although I'm on the list for an international Nomiku 2.0 whenever that comes out (can't take the Sansaire with me to Australia unless I want to buy a transformer).

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 13, 2014

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm not sure if it's even possible to answer this question...

I've previously printed all my 35mm stuff on 8*10 paper. It always seemed a little small for hanging, although fine for viewing. Is 9.5*12 much of a step up for hanging photos?

I don't have much available money so I'd be limited in what I can get. These are the two papers I'm looking at, any opinions? Given I have a few negatives I want to print off, test prints, etc. a 10 sheet envelope of paper doesn't seem like the right buy so I'd be getting 50.

http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_88_105&product_id=96
http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_88_105&product_id=297

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

drat, that's a great idea. Not so much worried about gunking up the thing so much as potentially contaminating food, but that would solve it.

edit: so yeah dudes and dudettes, you should buy a sous vide rig to 1) develop film and 2) enjoy delicious food. I've got a Sansaire, although I'm on the list for an international Nomiku 2.0 whenever that comes out (can't take the Sansaire with me to Australia unless I want to buy a transformer).

You can make a system to do this yourself if you want easily enough. I just took a 5 dollar immersion heater, a tiny fish filter to circulate water, and an arduino with a relay setup and temp probe. Had it turn the heater on if it was too cold, turn it off if it was too hot, and it'll sit within 1c of target all day long.

I tried setting up a fancy PID system to run it but man that was just not working with my tank.

e. Wiring up circuits is fun!

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 14, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

You can make a system to do this yourself if you want easily enough. I just took a 5 dollar immersion heater, a tiny fish filter to circulate water, and an arduino with a relay setup and temp probe. Had it turn the heater on if it was too cold, turn it off if it was too hot, and it'll sit within 1c of target all day long.

I tried setting up a fancy PID system to run it but man that was just not working with my tank.

e. Wiring up circuits is fun!

:eyepop:

If I end up doing more C-41 at home, I want to make myself one of these.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mrenda posted:

I'm not sure if it's even possible to answer this question...

I've previously printed all my 35mm stuff on 8*10 paper. It always seemed a little small for hanging, although fine for viewing. Is 9.5*12 much of a step up for hanging photos?

I don't have much available money so I'd be limited in what I can get. These are the two papers I'm looking at, any opinions? Given I have a few negatives I want to print off, test prints, etc. a 10 sheet envelope of paper doesn't seem like the right buy so I'd be getting 50.
9.5 x 12 is only a little bigger than 8 x 10, so you're not really going to see a big difference when you hang up your prints.

On the other hand, money limitations and presumably space / equipment limitations mean you'll have trouble getting really big. What kind of equipment for printing do you have? Could you print, say, 16 x 20?

Other common paper sizes are different ratios of height x width, so you'd have to crop your pictures to fit them onto 11 x 14, for example.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ExecuDork posted:

On the other hand, money limitations and presumably space / equipment limitations mean you'll have trouble getting really big. What kind of equipment for printing do you have? Could you print, say, 16 x 20?

Yeah, there's only so far you can lift an enlarger head. If this is limiting him, probably the simplest step is to get a "wide-angle" enlarger lens like Componon-WA or Rodagon-WA.

You can get fancy with how you use the enlarger - for example, projecting through a hole in a table onto the ground. Or running an enlarger horizontally, projecting onto a nearby wall, although you run into alignment issues.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Speaking of prints, how do you guys frame them? Or do you frame them at all?
What style frames? How heavy are they? I have lovely apartment walls, so I can't hang anything too heavy.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Santa is strapped posted:

What style frames? How heavy are they? I have lovely apartment walls, so I can't hang anything too heavy.

Mix and match thrift store frames, all spray painted the same color.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I just use plain black frames from Ikea, they already matted if you print in standard sizes.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A piece of blu-tack to hold it on the wall because it's not worthy of framing

(is what I do)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Santa is strapped posted:

voodoorootbeer posted:

Mix and match thrift store frames, all spray painted the same color.
I do this, but without the spray paint because I'm horribly lazy.

8x10, 5x7, and 11x14 are easy to find in thrift shops, but 8x12 is very rare and anything bigger seems to be a mixed bag of mostly custom or oddball-sized frames that you'd have to cut matting for to fit something into.

I hate matting, not sure why, seems to be one of those little irrational annoyances but I like my pictures to fill the frame, and the frame itself to be pretty minimal. Thin, black, and not too beat up.

Speaking of framing & hanging on lovely apartment walls (whassup rental-life buddy), is anyone thinking of running a print exchange? I ran it last year, it's really not that much work but I'd rather not do it twice in a row to avoid generating paranoia in anyone (read: SoundMonkey and his burgeoning mania).

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yes, I'm so down (to participate :effort:)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
So I haven't seen much talk about those Plustek OpticFilm scanners. Obviously they only work with 35mm, but they seem to do it as well if not much better than normal scanners. The downside being that it will only work with 35mm.

Anyone have any good/bad experiences? The Pentax comes back soon, so I want to get my poo poo together for it.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
I recently got a used plustek opticfilm 8100 as my first scanner and I like it for my type of usage (mostly 2-3 films per month). I'm new to film so I can't vouch on the image quality, but to my eyes it's pretty nice. The film holder feels kinda flimsy and its sometimes hard to get a film strip positionned correctly and be aware the scanner doesn't have a hardware dust/scratch removal (I think the more expensive model do), so I always work with clean negatives and always blow the dust before putting the holder in the scanner. It's slow cooking though, I preview each image on viewscan one by one and scan when I feel I can do something out of it. It comes with Silverfast 8 which is apparently pretty good by I just scan the negatives in vuescan and use colorperfect in photoshop. hth

I posted some pics earlier in the thread taken with a cheap nikkor 35-105mm zoom.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I just got a few pro packs of Portra 160 but usually use Portra 400. With 400 I just shoot it at 400 EI - is 160 pretty much the same or is it better to slightly overexpose?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Same

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Apparently the taco method works, although it works better inside my newer tank and not the family hand me down. Also somehow me and my father didn't gently caress up with the large format all the exposures are perfect.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Shot on my last few rolls of Astia.

Fa Yuen Street, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

alkanphel posted:

Shot on my last few rolls of Astia.

Fa Yuen Street, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

Niiiiiice

96cobraguy
Aug 10, 2008
Long time lurker, mostly because I haven't had time to shoot film in a while! I finally had the opportunity to shoot two rolls of film that I've never worked with before. On the slide front, Velvia 50. On the B&W front, Ilford Pan F+50. I was pleasantly surprised. I'll split it into two posts to not overwhelm.
Bellagio waters by 96cobraguy, on Flickr

000003030008 by 96cobraguy, on Flickr

000003030022 by 96cobraguy, on Flickr

000003030034 by 96cobraguy, on Flickr

High Roller 2 by 96cobraguy, on Flickr

000003030025 by 96cobraguy, on Flickr

000003030016 by 96cobraguy, on Flickr

000003030015 by 96cobraguy, on Flickr

Michele by 96cobraguy, on Flickr

96cobraguy
Aug 10, 2008
and the other
Untitled by 96cobraguy, on Flickr

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

especially love those

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
My two enlargers are in my parents' place, packed away in a wardrobe. There's literally nowhere to set up a dark room where I am, nor could I monopolise any of the space. I'd have to rent time in an arts centre darkroom (€12 for three hours, no choice in chems, no toning.) Their enlargers are all donated, from what I remember they have nothing amazing, and I haven't seen what lenses they have on them. I figure they're about as good as my cheaply picked up enlargers. To be honest I'd prefer to use my own enlarger because I find dichroic heads easier for printing, but I have to make do with what I have access to. Realistically 9.5*12 is probably as large as I could go, and 12*16 is both cost prohibitive and not possible with the dark room's equipment. I think they have one large format enlarger (4*5) that stretches to the ceiling from a table, but I don't know if that'd be usable for printing 35mm at 12*16.

If I'm sticking with 8*10 rather than 9.5*12 I'd be tempted to go for a warm tone paper. More expensive but I think it'd suit what I'm printing. Affordable though as I could get a couple of prints from a 25 sheet pack, rather than going for a 50 sheet pack the 9.5*12s come in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I took my Olympus half frame to a music festival. These are all Tri-X developed in HC-110 E according to Massive Dev.

It's really fun to try to create an image that spans a frame, either by seeming to continue the one shot or to juxtapose two visuals.

img211

img169

Also, sometimes just showing the same scene four times looks cool.

img225