Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The :nws: trailer for Joe Carnahan's latest movie Stretch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKAtcHuIRvQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Prometheus and The Leftovers are both pretty great but it's fine if you disagree and don't like him in general! It's just that the "ugh, Lindelof" any time one of his projects gets brought up is a little grating.

Prometheus is a prime example of his shortcomings to me and The Leftovers, while better, still has his mark.

Honestly I think I feel so strongly about him because he's so close to doing great sometimes. And then just hamstrings the whole thing with terrible characters. I think he just needs to focus on being an idea man and leave the discrete character writing to better people.

Also he's behind the rewrite of World War Z which was just... Ugh compared to the original.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I thought Lindelof only wrote one part of WWZ.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
The way I heard it, he was only brought in later on to "rewrite" the ending, which I guess explains why the movie doesn't have a loving ending.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Lost and The Leftovers are both pretty great but it's fine if you disagree and don't like him in general! It's just that the "ugh, Lindelof" any time one of his projects gets brought up is a little grating.

Yeah, it's getting pretty tiring.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From what I've heard the original ending was even worse and non-ending. At least the current ending has some kind of conclusion, the original ending didn't even have Brad Pitt reuniting with his family. Instead it ended with him escaping from Russia and landing in Oregon while his family was in Florida.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's just weird that a glorified script doctor gets blamed for so much.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

muscles like this? posted:

From what I've heard the original ending was even worse and non-ending. At least the current ending has some kind of conclusion, the original ending didn't even have Brad Pitt reuniting with his family. Instead it ended with him escaping from Russia and landing in Oregon while his family was in Florida.

Well, in that case I take back what I said, I guess. Still, holy poo poo, that was a real blueballer.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

muscles like this? posted:

Spoilered for those who haven't seen the film.

From what I understand, the third act starting from the escape from Israel was completely rewritten and reshot. In the initial cut, there was no plane crash or Welsh science facility, and it sure as hell didn't end with the creation of an invisibility potion and a family reunion.

The plane lands in Russia where the local commies line up and shoot all the elderly and injured, then draft those who are healthy enough into the front lines of the zombie winter war (you can still see a few shots of the Russian battles in the final released film). Pitt notices that the zombies are slower and more easily killed than their counterparts in the rest of the world and deduces that the cold slows down their movement and reaction time. He escapes his forced conscription with the Israeli soldier chick and uses a satellite phone to call his wife, who has been ejected from the flotilla to a less secure and poverty-stricken camp on the North American mainland.

The call is answered by Lost's Matthew Fox, who can still be seen in a few shots near the head of the film as one of the soldiers in the helicopter who picks Pitt and his family off the roof. It's implied that Pitt's wife has unwillingly shacked up with (i.e. is "whoring herself out" to) Matthew Fox's soldier character because she needs to provide for herself and their kid. Fox refuses to give the phone to Pitt's wife and tells him he's better off staying where he is because his wife and child are being cared for. Pitt grabs his crew marches off through the frozen siberian tundra on foot to rescue his family, and the movie ends.

The current ending is what 7 weeks of reshoots gets you.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Lindelof really just permeates the issues of whats wrong with the internet generation and parts of modern day film making. He espouses to an empty chamber who doesn't want to think further and be challenged by deeper philosophical musings. The Leftovers at time is comically bad with its over the top piano melody and slow-mo scenes coupled with the absurd hamfisted visual metaphors. The entirety of Prometheus was a first year university student feeling like he learnt everything to know about the subject cause he took an intro to philosophy class. On the internet his strengths as a writer and film maker are amplified cause it assures people they are smart and they get it, compared to the rest of the world who is subjected to mainstream Hollywood. In a way its worse, cause people like him and Abrahams let a level of complacency settle in and stagnate film making as a whole. The only good part of Star Trek Two was Benedict Cumberbatch doing his best impression of a Bond Villain. But that trailer for Tomorrow Land looks great, and I hope this is starting to usher in a new cinema that's more fun and/or optimistic. Last thing like that was Stardust which we need more of.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Well to be fair your post also permeates the issues of what is wrong with the "internet" generation.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Prometheus is incredibly well-written and would have been a much worse movie with a lot of other writers.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Drew Goddard of Cabin In The Woods fame finished the World War Z script to Lindelof's ending because Lindelof did not have the time to script the ending plot he wrote.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
"The Internet generation"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Death By The Blues posted:

Lindelof really just permeates the issues of whats wrong with the internet generation and parts of modern day film making. He espouses to an empty chamber who doesn't want to think further and be challenged by deeper philosophical musings. The Leftovers at time is comically bad with its over the top piano melody and slow-mo scenes coupled with the absurd hamfisted visual metaphors. The entirety of Prometheus was a first year university student feeling like he learnt everything to know about the subject cause he took an intro to philosophy class. On the internet his strengths as a writer and film maker are amplified cause it assures people they are smart and they get it, compared to the rest of the world who is subjected to mainstream Hollywood. In a way its worse, cause people like him and Abrahams let a level of complacency settle in and stagnate film making as a whole. The only good part of Star Trek Two was Benedict Cumberbatch doing his best impression of a Bond Villain. But that trailer for Tomorrow Land looks great, and I hope this is starting to usher in a new cinema that's more fun and/or optimistic. Last thing like that was Stardust which we need more of.

Welcome.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GonSmithe posted:

Prometheus is incredibly well-written and would have been a much worse movie with a lot of other writers.

I agree - movie is great.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
You must be on drugs, because Prometheus is garbage

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Prometheus derails are the shittiest derails. Shut the gently caress up and watch this trailer for a terrible Christmas movie co-starring Robin Williams' corpse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcbXQq9Xhnc

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I want some more movies about first-year philosophy

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Dillbag posted:

Prometheus derails are the shittiest derails. Shut the gently caress up and watch this trailer for a terrible Christmas movie co-starring Robin Williams' corpse.

Suddenly a lot of things make sense.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I want some more movies about first-year philosophy

After The Dark was pretty bad, unfortunately.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Dillbag posted:

This killed him, didn't it?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They really should have turned that from a comedy into some kind of mumblecore movie during editing. Right now I can't imagine watching that and laughing a single time :smith:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Hat Thoughts posted:

After The Dark was pretty bad, unfortunately.

It was, to its credit(?), a very special type of malicious. Never seen any other movie so thoroughly hateful and mean-spirited.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The trailer for Laura Poitras' new Snowden documentary, CitizenFour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGwAvd5mvM

There's no amount of hyperbole I could deploy to communicate how good this is going to be.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jewmanji posted:

The trailer for Laura Poitras' new Snowden documentary, CitizenFour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGwAvd5mvM

There's no amount of hyperbole I could deploy to communicate how good this is going to be.

Man, it's out in two weeks. Hyped.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Will Smith - Focus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1PqBFHoeTA

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

The MSJ posted:

The :nws: trailer for Joe Carnahan's latest movie Stretch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKAtcHuIRvQ

What a horrible and obnoxious trailer.

I just was watching Trailers from the early 90s and was laughing at how stupid and corny announcers sounded in them.
This sounds just as stupid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm pretty sure that's the point. I'm down for anything Carnahan makes.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Yeah that Stretch trailer is pretty heinous. Here's a slightly better one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFMFk5m_jS0

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

CelticPredator posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the point. I'm down for anything Carnahan makes.

I don't know, there was about a decade between Narc and The Grey so I figure we've got about a five year wait still.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I found this trailer for the glorified web series Powers making the rounds, notable for being a long-delayed adaptation of an early 00s Image comic that was a cop procedural in a city with superhumans and for starring Sharlto Copley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P02QmncDOzM

Between this and Gotham I really have to ask: Why is it so goddamn hard for people in television to understand what "a cop procedural in a city with superhumans" actually means? Like why do they seem to think that if the story isn't chock full of conventional "superhero tension" and winks to the audience people won't be interested? It's like putting chunks of juicy flavored meat in your noodles-- the noodles themselves are plenty good and the meat is just infrequent enough to be a treat whenever it shows up, it's not a steak with noodles on top.

As absolutely pretentious as this sounds, why can't they look at like the kind-of stylistic approach taken by David Fincher in his potboiler adaptations or the low-key style of True Detective and use that as a reference point? It doesn't need to be cinephile wank fodder like those two but if you'll look at both of them those play to the strengths of the mystery/thriller genre first and let the odd stuff organically seep in around the edges.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 13, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They should just do Gordon of Gotham.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eh for marketing they kind-of have to, but it is still really weird that someone at Time Warner was like "No we're appealing to casual Batman fans only and what casual Batman fans want are loads of references and winks to the audience" instead of just looking at Gotham Central and realizing "oh hey not only would using this as a foundation attract all the casual Batman fans since it's full of references, but those references are laid under a genuinely good cop procedural and said references are actually interesting perspectives on classic material everyone is familiar with." It really is one of those cases where I think the people making the show think a less of the material and fail to realize that they could net the Law & Order crowd and the Batman grognards.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Like these are average pages from Gotham Central. It'd definitely come across as a bit pretentious on TV without some ace production values (not expensive, just wise choices), but it really is a bit baffling they didn't run with this kind-of premise. Making "Gotham" a prequel was a mistake since they can't go for this kind-of "regular cops peppered with weird-rear end supervillainy" angle but I'm sure that was mandated so that whatever the new tentpole of the Bat-franchise comes down the pipe (Batfleck I believe) isn't going to be muddied by a competing continuity. Even so that means that sooner rather than later Gotham's going to have to either start giving all the regular antagonists gimmicks and powers, or they're going to have to start dipping into the bin of real Bat-villains, or more likely both, since just doing a cop procedural about mob bosses with a pre-Riddler Edward Nygma and baby Selina Kyle is going to get stale fast. Whereas just jumping head first into a world where Batman and all his villains are already established you get a much more fertile playground to utilize.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Freeze reveal is one of my favorite moments ever in a comic book.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

mind the walrus posted:

I found this trailer for the glorified web series Powers making the rounds, notable for being a long-delayed adaptation of an early 00s Image comic that was a cop procedural in a city with superhumans and for starring Sharlto Copley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P02QmncDOzM

Between this and Gotham I really have to ask: Why is it so goddamn hard for people in television to understand what "a cop procedural in a city with superhumans" actually means? Like why do they seem to think that if the story isn't chock full of conventional "superhero tension" and winks to the audience people won't be interested? It's like putting chunks of juicy flavored meat in your noodles-- the noodles themselves are plenty good and the meat is just infrequent enough to be a treat whenever it shows up, it's not a steak with noodles on top.

As absolutely pretentious as this sounds, why can't they look at like the kind-of stylistic approach taken by David Fincher in his potboiler adaptations or the low-key style of True Detective and use that as a reference point? It doesn't need to be cinephile wank fodder like those two but if you'll look at both of them those play to the strengths of the mystery/thriller genre first and let the odd stuff organically seep in around the edges.

Thank you for this. I hadn't ventured into the Gotham thread and probably won't but you've laid out exactly why I haven't really enjoyed the show like I thought I would

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
TV is the domain of the police procedural so it's always vexing when there's one that's just total bullshit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

the_american_dream posted:

Thank you for this. I hadn't ventured into the Gotham thread and probably won't but you've laid out exactly why I haven't really enjoyed the show like I thought I would

Yeah I don't know why I suddenly got all angry about Gotham when Powers is very much in the same camp of "should be a Par 3 with potential for a quick Birdie and we're already at a Double Bogey by the lake down the hill" in terms of frustration.

See also:

I maintain that Gotham's biggest problem was making it a prequel so it didn't step on the toes of Arrow/Flash or plans for Batman in film. It really does smell of someone from the top down simply not understanding the material in front of them and going off of marketing briefings. Also a pity because Donal Logue has been a favorite actor of mine since Grounded For Life and he's a good fit for the show.

As for Powers I like seeing Sharlto Copley in the role and I'm not expecting anything huge in terms of production but holy poo poo that trailer was all over the place. It advertises a character action mystery thriller and I'm still not sure at all which one is supposed to take precedence since the concept is a show about cops and superheros. Like there were some very odd glimpses of super-powered characters, lots of Sharlto running and people getting up in each other's grills. There were a lot of cheap-looking sets and absolutely no style to speak of save the nice window crunching/logo shot at the very very end. I absolutely do not get a sense that there is any vision for this show whatsoever.

I mean yeah miracles have been worked in post and marketers have cut poo poo trailers out of good movies before, but it's a really poo poo trailer and that's really really bad when the show is also advertising a video game console web show service that costs $50 a year. Oh well according to reports Bendis and Oeming (the creators of the comic) are happy with the show, so I guess that counts for something. Then again Bendis wrote an entire graphic novel about his various attempts to sell his crime comics to Hollywood so maybe he's just over the moon about anything of his-and-just-his getting an adaptation.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I am so pissed Gotham isn't Gotham Central. Donal Logue is such a good Harvey Bullock and most of the cast are terrific. I got really excitied when they had Renee Montoya show up, but of course, the show is clearly not going to be good.

I would have loved to see the Mad Hatter story from GC as a televised thing.

• Locked thread