Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Affi posted:

Just be mindful of showing yourself to too many enemies!

At least at that position I'll have cover for the moment and be able to gauge whether ascending will be a good idea or not. I have the longest range on the map and a drat good gunnery. If anyone can spot a better place, please let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.
If I understand this correctly, I should be coordinating with Zest's Clint at 2650 and closing to melee with Blind Sal at 1120. Also, I can ignore infantry/vehicles like those at 1945 since they won't shoot me, which Zest might want to be careful of? Any damage to you looks like it nulls out your special goal.

Options - find some way to screen Zest from the rabble at 1945 with my mech? (Would that block LOS for them?)

Can't tell if the hill will have LOS on anything relevant: don't the buildings block most of that off?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

sizuka2 posted:

If I understand this correctly, I should be coordinating with Zest's Clint at 2650 and closing to melee with Blind Sal at 1120. Also, I can ignore infantry/vehicles like those at 1945 since they won't shoot me, which Zest might want to be careful of? Any damage to you looks like it nulls out your special goal.

Options - find some way to screen Zest from the rabble at 1945 with my mech? (Would that block LOS for them?)

Can't tell if the hill will have LOS on anything relevant: don't the buildings block most of that off?

Mechs do not block LOS.

AtomikKrab posted:

Shoot! my chance to put basements everywhere GONE!.

I'm really glad about that, actually. If you're in a basement and the building collapses, anything in the basement is automatically destroyed. Atlas standing in a dugout under a circus tent, and the tent falls down? The Atlas and pilot are irretrievably gone, by RAW.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 12, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Edit: quote is not edit

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

apostateCourier posted:

I'm really glad about that, actually. If you're in a basement and the building collapses, anything in the basement is automatically destroyed. Atlas standing in a dugout under a circus tent, and the tent falls down? The Atlas and pilot are irretrievably gone, by RAW.

Only if it's a depth 2 or 3 basement! Depth 1 they just get immobilized until they can dig themselves out (unless the building is very tall, then they're taking a few dozen I-Beams to the head). :pseudo:

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Affi posted:

Eh. Forget about my plan.

can't fire on buildings behind other buildings so it's not as though first lance could've leveled eight building blocks in the first turn of the fight :(

I'd wait for PTN to confirm, but I think "fire on building X with my weapons in this order until I have line of sight to target Y behind it, then fire everything else at that" would be a legitimate order.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

OptimusShr posted:

I might have to go straight middle then, provide support for the left and use the lasers to help out with the squads on the right. Do melee weapons work on infantry?

I'll be moving to 2547 then.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kilty Monroe posted:

I'd wait for PTN to confirm, but I think "fire on building X with my weapons in this order until I have line of sight to target Y behind it, then fire everything else at that" would be a legitimate order.

Not quite, no.

I'll accept "I fire my PPC and medium laser at building X, and my second PPC and medium laser at building Y" but I don't accept "if target dies, fire the rest of my armament at [secondary target] orders." You split fire when you choose targets, not after you fire.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

OptimusShr posted:

I might have to go straight middle then, provide support for the left and use the lasers to help out with the squads on the right. Do melee weapons work on infantry?

You can certainly kick infantry.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's another reason I say the Clint and Centurion are best friends: the Centurion is purpose-built to clear out "obstructions" to give the Clint clear shots.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Oh right, Wrecking Balls do extra damage against buildings, don't they?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Scintilla posted:

Oh right, Wrecking Balls do extra damage against buildings, don't they?

Wrecking balls do an absolutely bananas 4d6+8 damage to buildings, which is complete overkill for pretty much everything on this map!

Zest
May 7, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

Wrecking balls do an absolutely bananas 4d6+8 damage to buildings, which is complete overkill for pretty much everything on this map!

CUT ME A PATH SO I CAN HIT THEM WITH MY ER-PPC! :black101:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, I wouldn't worry about basements. The only way I'd do those is if they were fixed, and that's not fair to the players since I always know... where...

I need a non-player volunteer from the thread who is going to be available for the duration of the mission!

HI how can I help?!?

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.
Clear you a path? Pick out the sightlanes you want cleared, I'll give it a shot.

E.g., do you want the 600's cleared out? The 1300's?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Orders sent, going to jump to 2344 and zap my LL at those infantry in 1945 for the heck of it.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

That is literally what I'm drawing inspiration from. I hope I don't disappoint.

You had better give someone the Double Deuce during this match.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Orders in, running to 2244 and creating the next generation of Tortugan orphans.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Quick question: I seem to remember a Kenny Ryan from the first book of the Blood of Kerensky trilogy, whose pirates Phelan Kell was clearing out of some Periphery shithole pirate world (The Rock, maybe?) alongside some Kell Hounds when Clan Wolf dropped in and wrecked house, taking some of the survivors as bondsmen. Ryan wound up as a bondsman on the Dire Wolf flagship alongside Kell before they figured him to be eligible for Warrior status, and was never heard from again as far as I can remember.

My question is: what is this Kenny Ryan's relationship to Redjack Ryan and his daughter? Based off of the timeframe, I'm guessing Kenny is Suzie Morgraine-Ryan's son/Redjack's grandson or something? Guess he wouldn't exist yet in the PTNverse yet since Suzie is all of 16 or so right now, and she wouldn't be having kids yet. If I'm wrong and he does exist in PTN's scenario, where's he at right now?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

Quick question: I seem to remember a Kenny Ryan from the first book of the Blood of Kerensky trilogy, whose pirates Phelan Kell was clearing out of some Periphery shithole pirate world (The Rock, maybe?) alongside some Kell Hounds when Clan Wolf dropped in and wrecked house, taking some of the survivors as bondsmen. Ryan wound up as a bondsman on the Dire Wolf flagship alongside Kell before they figured him to be eligible for Warrior status, and was never heard from again as far as I can remember.

My question is: what is this Kenny Ryan's relationship to Redjack Ryan and his daughter? Based off of the timeframe, I'm guessing Kenny is Suzie Morgraine-Ryan's son/Redjack's grandson or something? Guess he wouldn't exist yet in the PTNverse yet since Suzie is all of 16 or so right now, and she wouldn't be having kids yet. If I'm wrong and he does exist in PTN's scenario, where's he at right now?

Sarna states that Kenny Ryan was Redjack's illegitimate son (presumably one of many such children). Suzie is Ryan's only child with his wife, fellow pirate Maria Morgraine.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Defiance Industries posted:

Sarna states that Kenny Ryan was Redjack's illegitimate son (presumably one of many such children). Suzie is Ryan's only child with his wife, fellow pirate Maria Morgraine.

So maybe he hasn't been conceived yet or at all in the PTNverse? Or is running around somewhere as a kid?

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Orders in, running to 2547.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

You had better give someone the Double Deuce during this match.

I want to, but it doesn't seem like it's in the rules and to emulate it would be very very hard. It'd have to be jumpjet to guy, throw two punches, have them both land and hit opposite arms and do enough to break them off, then the next turn grab him, then do <one of the followups> and destroy the 'mech via CT.

So yeah. I want to, but I don't think it's happening guys.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Orders in: Heading for 2446.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I'm noticing a slightly disturbing trend that we're ignoring our right flank.

Zest
May 7, 2007

Orders in! Running to 2047 and facing 2046.

sizuka: 19xx-20xx should be fine

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Pfft, I'm sure that won't come back to bite you guys at some point.

In other news, helping PTN with the mech sprites has motivated me to go back and try my hand at designing some of the mechs that arose during the previous mech contest. You can find them all here, saved in .png format and with transparent backgrounds. Here's a few examples just to showcase what you can expect:

Helepolis 'Artillery':

Hunchback 'Hatchet':

Spider 'Infantry Fighting Vehicle':

Trebuchet 'Anti-WarShip':

(God it was difficult putting Spot Welders, Salvage Arms and two Medium Lasers on each arm without the whole thing looking dumb)

Vindicator 'War Crimes':

Edit: Sadly I was not skilled enough to do the Schreck Bistro or the Firetruck. :(

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 13, 2014

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.
Question: what does the elevation change do to movement costs? Does it force piloting tests?

What about trying to walk over destroyed buildings?

Trying to work out how to get to (probably) 2042 and start clearing out hexes for the ER PPC. (though... would Zest would have LOS over those? If so, I should be looking elsewhere for buildings to clear.)

Still want to check that the 1945 infantry won't ruin his ace sniper goal by taking potshots at Zest if he sets up on the hill, but can't tell if that's a) impossible b) likely or c) inevitable.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

then they're taking a few dozen I-Beams to the head). :pseudo:

Kai Allard Liao is here?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Going up or down a hill costs an extra MP. It only forces a piloting check if you're reversing.

PTN said most buildings here will turn into rough ground when demolished, which also means one extra MP to enter.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

So, PTN, any specific rules on the spear, or is it just a normal charge?

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.
Thanks!

Looks like I should run to 2044, and get started with wrecking next turn. Unless the hill would permit LOS over the buildings? Are they all height 2? Initial post suggested they were all height 2, with hills adding another height 1 implied.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ Buildings are all Height +2

Height 1 hills do not give you enough height to see over them, even up close.

apostateCourier posted:

So, PTN, any specific rules on the spear, or is it just a normal charge?

You have to displace the target into a building hex or it doesn't qualify.

Magni posted:

PTN said most buildings here will turn into rough ground when demolished, which also means one extra MP to enter.

But preferable to what buildings normally turn into when they get demolished (rubble is extra MP and a piloting check!)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 13, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just for completeness sake: what happens if they just Koolaid Man through the lovely pirate hovels?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They have to shake the collateral damage/inhabitants off their weapons before they can fire.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

Just for completeness sake: what happens if they just Koolaid Man through the lovely pirate hovels?

Nothing? It's a perfectly valid form of movement, they just might suffer a little damage from bumping into a tougher-than-average piece of sheet metal or some bulletproof glass that's actually industrial armor Transplex or something.

Edit: I don't suggest trying it if you've got piloting worse than 5 though! The T-Wrex probably shouldn't be playing Godzilla because if it falls on its rear end it's only got a 50% chance to stand up again.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 13, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

That spiky bastard is going to be my bane, I just know it. They're a better pilot, those spikes make my physical attacks do less damage and do a little damage to me, and that chain whip can screw up pretty much anything I could do to it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Get someone to shoot him in the face and wrestle someone else then.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

I'm noticing a slightly disturbing trend that we're ignoring our right flank.

What are you talking about? Your plan to lure the enemy into committing to your right flank and then turning around to smash them seems like it's going well so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nothing? It's a perfectly valid form of movement, they just might suffer a little damage from bumping into a tougher-than-average piece of sheet metal or some bulletproof glass that's actually industrial armor Transplex or something.

Edit: I don't suggest trying it if you've got piloting worse than 5 though! The T-Wrex probably shouldn't be playing Godzilla because if it falls on its rear end it's only got a 50% chance to stand up again.

The T-Wrex could careful stand? Don't know/remember if you're going with that rule.

• Locked thread