Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I'm just waiting for someone to post a picture of a scratch that their iPhone endured while in their pocket with some sand or some keys so I can make fun of them for how tiny and indiscernible it is when the phone is in use. :colbert:

Maybe nobody wants to invite some dumb loving GBS 2.0 responses

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Stutes posted:

Nobody ever expects pocket sand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTAXUYLbFYk

(I too have a tiny scratch on the oleophobic coating after three weeks of unprotected use.)
Post a pic. I wanna see that tiny scratch.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I have like .0067mb of "other" showing up when I connect to iTunes, please send help. I just don't know what to do.

Well in that case, if it were me, it's time to reset and erase the phone. I'd also install everything from scratch and manually recreate all your data. Also, download each song over wifi from the iTunes Store one at a time.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
In actual news, the ApplePay stuff that's leaking looks fun and cool and it makes me sad that it'll be like 3 years before it's even close to ubiquitous.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So this is a strange, but kinda cool, bug I just experienced:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Your phone has cancer.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
On the topic of case talk, I have really come to like the Magpul field case. Not even for any protection it may provide, but they're really thin and made of this awesome material that adds a ton of grip. I was never a case guy until I tried one. Things are awesome. They're only like $10 on Amazon too so I have a whole bunch of colors.

If you can get past the idea of buying a phone case from a gun accessory manufacturer (if that somehow bugs anyone) they're unbelievably awesome.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I have like .0067mb of "other" showing up when I connect to iTunes, please send help. I just don't know what to do.

Quick, compulsively restore, bitch about iTunes, then repeat 8-17 times until you give up and buy an android phone.

By all means, keep us posted!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Whirlwind Jones posted:

In actual news, the ApplePay stuff that's leaking looks fun and cool and it makes me sad that it'll be like 3 years before it's even close to ubiquitous.

What leaked? Any links?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Anyone have an opinion on SquareTrade, for warranties? I only know one person who uses them, and she's had great experiences, but they've got enough complaints on resellerratings to make me assume they're a lovely company that'll leave me screwed if I ever need them.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Chemmy posted:

Your phone has cancer.

He caught the iAids because he didn't use a case

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amber Alert posted:

He caught the iAids because he didn't use a case

All it takes is one little scratch.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
If he deletes his pedophile app he'd be fine.

Edit: Alien blue. Only rapers and boy touchers have that

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

jackpot posted:

Anyone have an opinion on SquareTrade, for warranties? I only know one person who uses them, and she's had great experiences, but they've got enough complaints on resellerratings to make me assume they're a lovely company that'll leave me screwed if I ever need them.

I've heard good things. Looking at the pricing for iPhones, it's basically the same price for Squaretrade or AppleCare for 2 years. Squaretrade does let you get a 3rd year for $30 more though. For 2 years I'd get AppleCare. I did get 3 years of Squaretrade for my iPad Air though because I plan to keep it that long. Haven't had to use it yet though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

1997 posted:

If he deletes his pedophile app he'd be fine.

Edit: Alien blue. Only rapers and boy touchers have that

You forgot people obsessing over nude photos of celebrities during the "Fappening".

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

So this is a strange, but kinda cool, bug I just experienced:

I got this once. I restarted and never saw it happen again.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

fleshweasel posted:

I got this once. I restarted and never saw it happen again.

Yeah, that worked for me too. Guess I can continue to access :reddit: without fear of phone cancer after all, shitlords!

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Well it really just happens when you turn on Increase Contrast then turn it off.

Edit: still gonna blame reddit thoughh

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Chemmy posted:

What leaked? Any links?

Seconding this request.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Just the latest stuff posted on Macrumors. It's all pretty basic stuff but I'm a nerd and it got me excited.

The list of previous transactions looks nice.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

First store to offer apple pay is going to have a huge day of sales.

I don't care what store it is I would go and buy something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

spunkshui posted:

First store to offer apple pay is going to have a huge day of sales.

I don't care what store it is I would go and buy something.
Should be Starbucks. I know I'd get a coffee and maybe a baked good.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Should be Starbucks. I know I'd get a coffee and maybe a baked good.

Eh, they would probably rather you use their current app that is driven off their prepaid card. The whole point for them is that they'd rather you spend $10 or $20 up front to juice up a card, then burn it down on your $3 coffees, rather than have a bunch of $3 charges and have to pay the credit card fees on each of them. That's why you only get loyalty points for buying on a prepaid card.

They have said they'll use in-app Apple Pay to recharge cards.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Any caseless bros miss the hard edges of the 5/5S?

I've held my friends 5 and a 5c and they feel like toys now due to their size but they're so easy to hold in one hand. I can't help but wish the 6 had hard edges so it wouldn't slip out of my hands, which has happened a few times already, luckily I've always managed to save it. Harder edges would also help the phone stand up on it's own which I've done to take timelapses and stuff.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've held my friends 5 and a 5c and they feel like toys now due to their size but they're so easy to hold in one hand. I can't help but wish the 6 had hard edges so it wouldn't slip out of my hands, which has happened a few times already, luckily I've always managed to save it. Harder edges would also help the phone stand up on it's own which I've done to take timelapses and stuff.
The curved edge of the screen is glorious and I love it. The edge of the 5/5S would actually dig into my palm and hurt considerably but then again I clawed it rather awkwardly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

Work on your grip strength. Jerk off more.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Josh Lyman posted:

Work on your grip strength. Jerk off more.

But not so hard that it pops out of your hand like a banana out of the peel. That goes for the phone or any other non-banana objects you'd like to forcibly grip.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Finally got my hands on a 6+ which are still as rare as rockinghorse poo in Australia. Can't wait to start fielding the inevitable "has it bent yet :iamafag:" questions

And a really stupid question of my own - how do I activate Spotlight search? I remember with iOS7 you could swipe left from the first page of the springboard, but now I can't seem to find it at all?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

webmeister posted:

And a really stupid question of my own - how do I activate Spotlight search? I remember with iOS7 you could swipe left from the first page of the springboard, but now I can't seem to find it at all?
Swipe downwards from anywhere other than the top of the screen on the springboard. Doesn't matter what page.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

On the topic of case talk, I have really come to like the Magpul field case. Not even for any protection it may provide, but they're really thin and made of this awesome material that adds a ton of grip. I was never a case guy until I tried one. Things are awesome. They're only like $10 on Amazon too so I have a whole bunch of colors.

If you can get past the idea of buying a phone case from a gun accessory manufacturer (if that somehow bugs anyone) they're unbelievably awesome.

Yeah, I was saying the same earlier in the thread. The Magpul iPhone 5 case is my favorite case ever, and I hope they come out with a 6 Plus version soon.Knowing Magpul though, that's not likely.

Although I am pretty happy with my brown leather Apple case, I'll still be getting a Magpul. I suppose it will offer a bit more protection and grip though, so there is that.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The Kins posted:

Swipe downwards from anywhere other than the top of the screen on the springboard. Doesn't matter what page.

Thanks, that works! What a bizarre way of triggering it :psyduck:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's less swipes if you're not on page 1, I think it was a good change.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

No, because I have iphone5-shaped wear lines on some of my pants.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx
Entering screen protector chat as well. With my 5s I never used one; just a cheap plastic case I had with the original 5. It just felt solid and never ended up with a scratch. With the 6 it feels as if the larger screen size and rounded edges make it more prone to possibly getting cracked so I opted to get a tempered glass protector. The only thing is none of them protect the rounded edges.

Also got iTunes sync issue resolved by removing my entire library and re-adding it.

Also I'm finding I'm using Spotlight search way more in this OS. It's just way more convenient.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It sounds like there are full-bleed (for lack of a better term) glass screen protectors in the pipeline. Spigen has one shipping on 11/5.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

I am up for an upgrade as of today. I was told by the nearby ATT store rep that 6+ are on heavy backorder and no stores will be seeing them any time soon (30+ days) and ordering online is my fastest bet. Do I recall reports here of people ordering with a month+ wait time but having had them ship significantly earlier?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amber Alert posted:

I am up for an upgrade as of today. I was told by the nearby ATT store rep that 6+ are on heavy backorder and no stores will be seeing them any time soon (30+ days) and ordering online is my fastest bet. Do I recall reports here of people ordering with a month+ wait time but having had them ship significantly earlier?

Someone in my office ordered a 6+ the Monday after preorders went live (so 4 days before release) and it just shipped on Friday.

Jewigi
Apr 20, 2004

I somehow got the camera application on my 4s to be upside down, the big white button is near the ear piece and I can't get it to be normal. I'd take a picture but I CAN'T, is this a known bug?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jewigi posted:

I somehow got the camera application on my 4s to be upside down, the big white button is near the ear piece and I can't get it to be normal. I'd take a picture but I CAN'T, is this a known bug?

Is rotation lock turned on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I just set up my GF's 4S this morning and it felt so weird after owning a 6 Plus for only one week. I could never go back, holy poo poo.