Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Victor Vermis posted:

oh, yeah.

I don't watch trailer park boys.

:commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
All I watch is Trailer Park Boys. It is the only show.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Fart Sandwiches posted:

All I watch is Trailer Park Boys. It is the only show.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The movies are great too.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

the pinnacle was running the model train across the border

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Victor Vermis posted:

oh, yeah.

you really need to correct yourself

if for nothing else than for Lahey

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

tuluk posted:

is your passport up to date?
hit amsterdam or something.
smoke weed, bang whatever you prefer, and bring back info about the bear community for N4I.

last time i went to amsterdam, it was.....holy gently caress i feel old now.

It's been about ten years since I've been to Amsterdam. They've really cracked down on tourists smoking the weeds there though, because Americans would constantly get all torqued and pass out in the streets.

If you were going to vacation in Europe and don't need the drug gimmick, honestly go to the South, it's much chiller

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's been about ten years since I've been to Amsterdam. They've really cracked down on tourists smoking the weeds there though, because Americans would constantly get all torqued and pass out in the streets.

If you were going to vacation in Europe and don't need the drug gimmick, honestly go to the South, it's much chiller

how do they crack down on it? ask for ID at coffee shops and stuff?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

It's not hard to spot an American in Europe.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Odds are it'll be painfully obvious you're not Dutch, unless you're already 6'4" and blonde with bad teeth

I guess Amsterdam still technically lets tourists in the shops:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2577265/Netherlands-marijuana-law-affecting-Maastricht-locals-complain-rise-street-dealers.html

quote:

The Netherlands... decided to ban anyone who didn’t live in the country from buying the drug because of a rise in ‘pot tourists’ who were visiting simply to smoke marijuana. The county's central government clampdown banned people who live outside the Netherlands from coffee shops and closed any shops deemed to be too close to schools. There was even a short-lived policy that said smokers had to apply for a 'Weed Pass' to get into a coffee shop.

The new rules were rolled out across the country between the middle of 2012 and the beginning of last year. But it is up to local municipalities to enforce them - and most are embracing only part of the policy. Amsterdam - with some 200 licensed coffee shops, one-third of the nationwide total - still lets foreigners visit them, although it is closing coffee shops that are near schools.

But Maastricht has fully embraced the crackdown. Its mayor, Onno Hoes, said he enforced the legislation to halt a daily influx of thousands of foreigners who crossed the borders to stock up on pot at its 14 coffee shops.

Article doesn't specify if Onno Hoes has also cracked down on the red light districts

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
July 2012, had no problem in an Amsterdam coffee shop. They were chill, used to tourists, and explained the dos and don'ts when I said it was my first time.

The areas they won't serve tourists, which I didn't experience firsthand but did read about, were near Belgium and France because believe it or not their teenagers can be more idiotic than Americans, and the Dutch were apparently sick of their poo poo.

Edit and who gives a poo poo anymore Colorado is closer

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yah US states making it straight-up legal kind of takes the wind out of the sales of weed tourism abroad

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

It seems like Amsterdam is cool with tourists but other cities are not.

Zeris posted:

Edit and who gives a poo poo anymore Colorado is closer

It gets the added bonus of being in Europe I guess.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Yet there's still a thriving market for street dealing pot in CO because it's cheaper than the store stuff, and now probably way easier to supply.

Clarification: secondhand knowledge

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
i've been rectifying the wrong of me not having watched Trailer Park Boys lately. up to the second season gently caress i love this show, should have watched it a long time ago when i heard about it on my afghanistan deployment.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Obama Africanus posted:

Hey drunk thread.

How does one become a security engineer? I think I'd be good at that.

physical security engineer, computer security engineer or IDR-style-make believe security contractor engineer?
it is important to this thread that you explain why you want to become one, and which version you think is a good fit for you.
mainly because this thread is only one i really read in gip, and i never log into the irc gip channel.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
not sure whats going on in here just gonna drop this link and say gently caress you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkcffiHev08

gently caress you t:twisted:t

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

tuluk posted:

physical security engineer, computer security engineer or IDR-style-make believe security contractor engineer?
it is important to this thread that you explain why you want to become one, and which version you think is a good fit for you.
mainly because this thread is only one i really read in gip, and i never log into the irc gip channel.

Physical / Computer / information security engineer stuff.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Victor Vermis posted:

oh, yeah.

If you start it, start with season 2. First season is kinda meh. It gets pretty good once they find their footing.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Slim Pickens posted:

If you start it, start with season 2. First season is kinda meh. It gets pretty good once they find their footing.

This is good advice. The first movie is also a good intro.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Zeris posted:

The areas they won't serve tourists, which I didn't experience firsthand but did read about, were near Belgium and France because believe it or not their teenagers can be more idiotic than Americans, and the Dutch were apparently sick of their poo poo.

When I was stationed in Italy, I had a Dutch friend who told me when she worked for the city department responsible for their canals where she lived, one of their biggest problems was it was becoming trendy for groups of rowdy drunk teenagers to bodily pick up Smart cars and tip them into the canals.

Spent like 10 days around NL and Belgium and I hated Amsterdam, but the Netherlands outside of Amsterdam owns really, really hard. Delft and Scheveningen are some of the very best places to hang out and drink beer and see nice old buildings in my like 20- some Euro countries I've visited.

Edit: and Ghent, Belgium, which is very close by is even better. I was there on leave, staying in a hostel made out of an old river barge the day OBL got whacked by the frogmen. I learned the news by overhearing the swedish kids next to me talking and caught the words "Pakistan" "bin laden". When I asked them what was going on, they were like, "you're American? Oh, today is like a holiday for you!" And then Belgians bought me beers all night, and I later ate amazing french fries and mayo. Good-rear end day.

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 13, 2014

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

dave brockie got a sex change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbnm-0r3suM

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
The first season is short enough you might as well watch it, and it does have its moments.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Obama Africanus posted:

IGNORE THIS POST IF YOU DON"T GIVE A gently caress ABOUT SECURITY STUFF.
SHIMAZU DOESNT HAVE PMs AND HASN'T GIVEN ME A EMAIL ADDRESS SO THIS NON-DRUNK THREAD TOPIC IS GONNA BORE PEOPLE

the key answer to everything you want to do is specialize, and read lots of IT security whitepapers to get into the proper mindset.
i vaguely recall you being confused 2-4 months ago as to why a gas-station would be doing background checks on employees.
......poo poo like background checks for gas stations is security 101 when you think it through.

most gas stations are:
a)designed for maximum customer turnover per hour and low overhead operating costs
b)lots of transient customers
c)heavily automated, have credit card terminals in every pump station
d)have high employee turnover for every US state barring New Jersey, USA
e)security cameras. cameras are usually set to identify pull-n-run customers at pumps and to monitor the cash registers/in-store theft.
f)staggering amount of transactions per day. a single gas station with 1-3 employees generally as many transactions per day as a large supermarket(safeway/stop&shop/etc) locations with 20-50 employees.
g)lots of incidental things that add up (profit margins at gas stations, credit holds for transactions, security of the gas station pumps, work shift rotations, retention of security camera feeds, demotivated work staff, etc).

some gas stations will only match a few of those points, some will match all of them.
basically, gas stations are gold mines for credit card scammers or credit card skimmer devices.
think about it. then email me why you think so at give me your email address so i can stop boring the other folks in this thread.

you're still taking classes for microsoft, and other IT related things?

MS: Specialize. Don't go for a general comptency. given that MS's core business is devolving to MSexchange, MSSQL, MSCloud, which all tie back into MS Active Directory & MS server 20xx, you're gonna need insane amounts of time & money to pass the advanced certs for msexchange & MS-AD, unless you've got a sugar daddy/mommy/trust fund, and a photographic memory

cisco: read psydude's IT thread certification thread in SHSC, but be aware that the OP is massively out of date, psydude has a massive hard-on for cisco because that's what he's certified in, and that psydude is a loving moron that i wouldn't trust to pump gas without direct supervision.

linux: so many freaking variants of linux. most of the best security monitoring software has been opensourced>for-profit software.
if you can tell employers, yeah...i run my own version of linux, and provide proof...they will go bonkers for you, as long as your setup isn't poo poo.
you need to have a basic knowledge of the linux command line & variables. chron, and the sudoers file is the backbone of a solid security setup in linux.
redhat certification is only good for 2-4 yrs, other linux certs have varying brand recognition/lifespans.
start reading the free articles at linux security magazine websites.

security appliance devices: this is where it goes weird. turn-key security systems remove 97% of the hassle, but also introduce a 3rd party that is implictly being trusted with data. lawyers generally cream themselves when they think about these devices and the massive lawsuits or legal settlements that ensue when turn-key security systems get hosed over.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the gently caress are all these words in the white girl wasted thred?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Celebrate this day by walking to the nearest bar.

Leave sober and empty-handed. Be drunk before you get there.

Without spending any money.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Celebrate by watching "1492: Conquest of Paradise". It's on Netflix and pretty good.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I appease my white guilt by dropping a $100 bill on Black, and if I lose I salute Big Chief Double Down, and if I win I buy firewater for the black jack dealer.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

I appease my white guilt by dropping a $100 bill on Black, and if I lose I salute Big Chief Double Down, and if I win I buy firewater for the black jack dealer.

I'm not sure you're playing Blackjack right.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Hush, we haven't seen the turn card yet.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dead Reckoning posted:

The guy who works the roulette table is obviously Mexican. I'm not tipping him today, mister

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Obama Africanus posted:

shitloads of experience as a unix and maaaaaaaybe windows sysadmin plus a good deal of hacking and tinkering on your spare time plus a few credits in network and security protocols maybe or self-study

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I've been playing spades on xbox lately and goddamn if I'm not a million times better now than when I was playing in the tents back in the transient tents in kuwait.

of course, I was never this stoned in kuwait.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

tuluk posted:

IGNORE THIS POST IF YOU DON"T GIVE A gently caress ABOUT SECURITY STUFF.
SHIMAZU DOESNT HAVE PMs AND HASN'T GIVEN ME A EMAIL ADDRESS SO THIS NON-DRUNK THREAD TOPIC IS GONNA BORE PEOPLE

the key answer to everything you want to do is specialize, and read lots of IT security whitepapers to get into the proper mindset.
i vaguely recall you being confused 2-4 months ago as to why a gas-station would be doing background checks on employees.
......poo poo like background checks for gas stations is security 101 when you think it through.

most gas stations are:
a)designed for maximum customer turnover per hour and low overhead operating costs
b)lots of transient customers
c)heavily automated, have credit card terminals in every pump station
d)have high employee turnover for every US state barring New Jersey, USA
e)security cameras. cameras are usually set to identify pull-n-run customers at pumps and to monitor the cash registers/in-store theft.
f)staggering amount of transactions per day. a single gas station with 1-3 employees generally as many transactions per day as a large supermarket(safeway/stop&shop/etc) locations with 20-50 employees.
g)lots of incidental things that add up (profit margins at gas stations, credit holds for transactions, security of the gas station pumps, work shift rotations, retention of security camera feeds, demotivated work staff, etc).

some gas stations will only match a few of those points, some will match all of them.
basically, gas stations are gold mines for credit card scammers or credit card skimmer devices.
think about it. then email me why you think so at give me your email address so i can stop boring the other folks in this thread.

you're still taking classes for microsoft, and other IT related things?

MS: Specialize. Don't go for a general comptency. given that MS's core business is devolving to MSexchange, MSSQL, MSCloud, which all tie back into MS Active Directory & MS server 20xx, you're gonna need insane amounts of time & money to pass the advanced certs for msexchange & MS-AD, unless you've got a sugar daddy/mommy/trust fund, and a photographic memory

cisco: read psydude's IT thread certification thread in SHSC, but be aware that the OP is massively out of date, psydude has a massive hard-on for cisco because that's what he's certified in, and that psydude is a loving moron that i wouldn't trust to pump gas without direct supervision.

linux: so many freaking variants of linux. most of the best security monitoring software has been opensourced>for-profit software.
if you can tell employers, yeah...i run my own version of linux, and provide proof...they will go bonkers for you, as long as your setup isn't poo poo.
you need to have a basic knowledge of the linux command line & variables. chron, and the sudoers file is the backbone of a solid security setup in linux.
redhat certification is only good for 2-4 yrs, other linux certs have varying brand recognition/lifespans.
start reading the free articles at linux security magazine websites.

security appliance devices: this is where it goes weird. turn-key security systems remove 97% of the hassle, but also introduce a 3rd party that is implictly being trusted with data. lawyers generally cream themselves when they think about these devices and the massive lawsuits or legal settlements that ensue when turn-key security systems get hosed over.

I'm gonna buy PM's if you don't mind talking at length on this. I just read Ross Anderson's "Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems."

Link this has been my primer on Security Engineering, and I'm hooked.

That convo on gas station background checks was sort of the start of me chasing this rabbit hole in the first place so it's funny to me that you mentioned that.

I should have plat by supper when I get back to my house. Thanks for the legit reply.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Sjurygg posted:

shitloads of experience as a unix and maaaaaaaybe windows sysadmin plus a good deal of hacking and tinkering on your spare time plus a few credits in network and security protocols maybe or self-study

I'm trying self study and getting my CCNA and and taking all the various System Admin / Networking / IT / Programming classes at a local community college..

There doesn't seem to be a clear degree / certification / career path for security engineering. I guess the whole CISSP thing is one possibility but.. I'm not sure if I meet the work requirements. Even though I was a crypto responsible officer and Special Security Representative for 10 years- examples of security engineer type work I had to do back then was the audit trails on our high side machines and poo poo like that. I had no idea what I was doing at the time other than following checklists, like it was all in a vacuum. I keep thinking if I grind it out in the IT classes and certifications I can eventually find work in security engineering, but I don't really personally know anyone that does this kinda poo poo for a living. All my IRL friends are crazy rednecks like me.

:(

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 13, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Obama Africanus posted:

I had no idea what I was doing at the time other than following checklists, like it was all in a vacuum. I keep thinking if I grind it out in the IT classes and certifications I can eventually find work in security engineering, but I don't really personally know anyone that does this kinda poo poo for a living. All my IRL friends are crazy rednecks like me.

PMs: yeah fire away at me.

security-knowledge focus should be a end-goal, because until you have a solid knowledge base, it'll be just like that checklist grind in the air force for you.

not many places will hire a virgin security dude, so have you considered doing work for your community college in return for work experience you can put on a resume?
like working on the schools firewalls or routers for extra credit or doing cut-rate websites for PUA dudes trying to IDR-brag or elvis transvestites in memphis.
i'll drop some more ideas on you later.

drunk thread content:

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 13, 2014

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDXUDehUgIQ

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoUWdzNp9SM

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 13, 2014

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Pussyfooting, #33, 10 yard penalty. First down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If Mutant League Football taught me anything, its that the guy who gets wrecked is the one who should be penalized

• Locked thread