Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

I've been drinking a lot and I want to run dungeons, why the hell did half of the TSW goons go offline from Steam 4 minutes ago

**ESPECIALLY YOU, ZEPHO

My steam offline display is always hosed and shows everyone offline as being off line for the same amount of time. It's slightly aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Sekenr posted:

I don't get akkab hate. Sure they are annoying but there are maybe 3 missions involving them. If you are stuck with the league of monster slayers, there is a very simple way to beat it. Instead of going straight to the treehouse from the quest giver, backtrack to the entrance to the map and go from the north east along the mountains. For some reason it's much easier, mission becomes almost trivial.

already completed the league of monster slayers mission, and btw: that quest in the savage coast zone, not blue mountain zone.

i don't hate the akkab, i find them tedious.
the way they spawn close together, and their dash attack aggroing nearby akkab unless you're careful in positioning makes them super tedious to fight.
the way blue mountain is constructed, you get encounter more akkab territory missions than the savage coast zone had.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 12, 2014

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Sekenr posted:

I don't get akkab hate. Sure they are annoying but there are maybe 3 missions involving them. If you are stuck with the league of monster slayers, there is a very simple way to beat it. Instead of going straight to the treehouse from the quest giver, backtrack to the entrance to the map and go from the north east along the mountains. For some reason it's much easier, mission becomes almost trivial.

When I first started playing, all I remember is running from Akkab's forever every time I was anywhere near that forest. I actually remember starting an unrelated mission in the area, turning around after interacting with some object and an Akkab was siting right behind me. I said "poo poo" and started running.

This was obviously before I figured out game mechanics and how to kill stuff reliably, so it certainly made an impression.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Sekenr posted:

They're the first things you fight that will introduce you to the weaknesses of your build while also usually drawing in other nearby ak'ab to the fight to overwhelm you. They always start with an obnoxious dash and sometimes have those totems up that slow your movement to make things even more fun. Also at the end of savage coast and the beginning of blue mountain there are two missions that force you to go solo in caves full of them, so you can't even bring help if your build or equipment are a bit below par. Even when I played through the game a second time years later on a new character with a build and equipment that trivialized them I still have always kind of hated them because of that first run.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

macnbc posted:

Because Funcom stopped producing single-player games after Dreamfall had the poo poo pirated out of it and they lost a lot of money on it. It's pretty difficult to pirate an MMO.

I think that had more to do with Dreamfall than anything else.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

I think that had more to do with Dreamfall than anything else.

And yet it was so horrible that its sequel got over $1 million on Kickstarter.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

macnbc posted:

And yet it was so horrible that its sequel got over $1 million on Kickstarter.

"Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey" is sequel to more than one game.

Besides, Dreamfall cost "around $5 million" to make according to Ragnar. If it had only received $1.5 mil (before deductions and physical goodies) on a well-promoted Kickstarter, it would probably have flopped even harder.

There's also plenty of evidence that DC was funded on extreme niche appeal, with only 21k backers total and the 600 top backers accounting for over $500,000 in funding (!).

this is relevant to TSW because whales work the same way

SNAKES N CAKES fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 13, 2014

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I see why people didn't like the bank heist. A lot of good ideas, terrible checkpointing. This is more frustrating than Cost of Magic.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
I'm strongly considering picking this game back up; I haven't played since it was still subscription-based. I think I left off in Egypt; is it worth starting over to remind myself how to play this bloody game? Is there still a goon cabal?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Yes this game is worth picking back up; no, there is no goon cabal.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well, there are goon cabals.

Without goons in the cabal.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Bleusilences posted:

Yes this game is worth picking back up; no, there is no goon cabal.

That makes me sad; playing with goons was always fun, even if it was just to purposefully glitch the Darkness War final boss and spend the whole fight doing nothing but spamming limericks.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Now I feel stupid for ignoring the golems for majority of weekend. People got pets and poo poo. All I got is glowy eyes and 1 black bullion.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone want to share a new character build for someone just starting out that is fun in dungeons and solo play?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Reason posted:

Anyone want to share a new character build for someone just starting out that is fun in dungeons and solo play?

Dunno how current it is, but I felt Hammer+Sword or Hammer+Chaos was a lotta fun for solo (because you don't die too much!) and it also means instant queues for dungeons. I also liked Hammer+Shotgun for leveling. I really really liked Hammer.

There's also Chaos+Sword, which works really well for solo too. Honestly, I had a lot of fun as tank spec, especially while leveling - the extra HP buffer helps survivability, and allows you to be less cautious.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Sekenr posted:

Now I feel stupid for ignoring the golems for majority of weekend. People got pets and poo poo. All I got is glowy eyes and 1 black bullion.

I managed to run across a large group killing one just randomly in egypt. I got in from basically the beginning and got the pet. It was the only thing I really participated in this weekend.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cheston posted:

I see why people didn't like the bank heist. A lot of good ideas, terrible checkpointing. This is more frustrating than Cost of Magic.

I'm taking a break from trying to complete the bank heist. That long corridor with all the robots in it gets me every time. :(

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Otacon posted:

Dunno how current it is, but I felt Hammer+Sword or Hammer+Chaos was a lotta fun for solo (because you don't die too much!) and it also means instant queues for dungeons. I also liked Hammer+Shotgun for leveling. I really really liked Hammer.

There's also Chaos+Sword, which works really well for solo too. Honestly, I had a lot of fun as tank spec, especially while leveling - the extra HP buffer helps survivability, and allows you to be less cautious.

Sword/Chaos is what I'm running, and it's solid. Good collection of abilities to use in various situations, good survivability. Plus, like Octacon said, if you run a tank spec you rarely have to wait long for queues, and if you learn to run them well you're going to be friends with a lot of people. Honestly, tanking dungeons is one of the most fun things I remember from this game when I stopped playing, and I'm looking forward to getting kitted back up and start back in.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Otacon posted:

Thanks I started a character with Hammer/Chaos and its a lot of fun so far!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Reason posted:

Thanks I started a character with Hammer/Chaos and its a lot of fun so far!

Eventually, end-game, you're going to want to drop Hammer and pick up Sword for the healing. Again, I'm not sure what the current meta is for end-game, but Sword+Chaos was pretty much THE tanking spec. Don't worry about it until you're doing dungeons - stick with what you find enjoyable! Glad you're having fun!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Otacon posted:

Eventually, end-game, you're going to want to drop Hammer and pick up Sword for the healing. Again, I'm not sure what the current meta is for end-game, but Sword+Chaos was pretty much THE tanking spec. Don't worry about it until you're doing dungeons - stick with what you find enjoyable! Glad you're having fun!

Sword/Chaos/Chainsaw also seems to be easy-mode for surviving PVP.

I'm so sick of hearing those sword noises as I lay there dead. Something about sword users -- they never stop pushing buttons.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

prefect posted:

Sword/Chaos/Chainsaw also seems to be easy-mode for surviving PVP.

I'm so sick of hearing those sword noises as I lay there dead. Something about sword users -- they never stop pushing buttons.

It's because there's a distinct delay between button press and when the animation begins, especially noticeable when you're already mid-swing. Also because with swords, button-mashing one skill usually gets the job done :smugdog:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Otacon posted:

The preferred tanking spec changes over time. Sword/Chaos used to be the thing, when I stopped playing regularly it was Sword/Hammer, and now I think it's some weird Fist thing?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah, sword fist for max DPS. Sword Hammer is still legit. Sword Chaos is only the "superior spec" for those issue 8 simulation things (e.g. late game soloing) and even that may have changed.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

GEMorris posted:

Sword Chaos is only the "superior spec" for those issue 8 simulation things (e.g. late game soloing) and even that may have changed.

I'm sad that I know this, but that hasn't changed.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?
I just recently started back up as well. The cabal population is currently 2/512. People are just as bad at NM HR as I remember but holy crap it's so easy to heal NMs now when every boss either drops dead in a minute or your DPS got one-shot and you wipe anyway.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

revenance posted:

I just recently started back up as well. The cabal population is currently 2/512. People are just as bad at NM HR as I remember but holy crap it's so easy to heal NMs now when every boss either drops dead in a minute or your DPS got one-shot and you wipe anyway.

I've started trying leech healing in normal-mode dungeons as a learning experience. It's not going as smoothly as I'd hoped, though, because I'm sometimes drawing aggro off the rest of the group, since they're trying to do the dungeon at the appropriate gear level. :shobon:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

revenance posted:

I just restarted myself, and from what I've seen the old goon cabal is dead and gone.

What's everyone else doing, just joining PUGs or have all the goons that are left migrated to other cabals individually?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Byers2142 posted:

I just restarted myself, and from what I've seen the old goon cabal is dead and gone.

What's everyone else doing, just joining PUGs or have all the goons that are left migrated to other cabals individually?

The #Noobmares channel is pretty good for finding nightmare dungeon groups, and they try to make a point of not being snotty to people who aren't as good/experienced as others. They also have an enjin.com site and arrange at least one weekly raid: http://tswnoobmares.enjin.com/

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Whenever I'm in-game (not often) I put a few things in the Illuminati cabal bank. There's a bunch of potions, toolkits, QL10 Blues and low level AE capacitors, which anyone is welcome to take.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you're in the old templar cabal, that one is dead because it had to be reformed over a year ago, the old one is just full of inactive characters. The others and the new templar cabal are still dead as in "lots of members, almost no one online", but some hang out on Steam where you can try to get them to log in and run dungeons eg.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

prefect posted:

The #Noobmares channel is pretty good for finding nightmare dungeon groups, and they try to make a point of not being snotty to people who aren't as good/experienced as others. They also have an enjin.com site and arrange at least one weekly raid: http://tswnoobmares.enjin.com/

Being late to the game, I got all my NMs done through this channel and never ran into problems when stating I was new. It's quite nice.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Kessel posted:

Being late to the game, I got all my NMs done through this channel and never ran into problems when stating I was new. It's quite nice.

Yeah, due to the relative lack of inflation of gear, most of the people you'll group with are at least 10.2+ just from NM drops which is more than adequate to handle the "24s" (pol, DW, HR, HE) pugged on a normal basis.

I'm assuming HF and ankh are still considered advanced, since I rarely see people form groups for those in #noobmares? They added NM for everything else now as well, right?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

revenance posted:

I'm assuming HF and ankh are still considered advanced, since I rarely see people form groups for those in #noobmares? They added NM for everything else now as well, right?

Yep, after launch they added a couple NMs a month until all the dungeons were available.

The advanced ones are Facility and HF, both of which have hard skill checks, and Ankh/Slaughterhouse, which have high gear checks.

**Well, Facility and HF also have high gear checks.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 16, 2014

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

What's the best way to get signets and augments without shelling out 30+M? Do people form lair farming groups and is that the most efficient?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

revenance posted:

What's the best way to get signets and augments without shelling out 30+M? Do people form lair farming groups and is that the most efficient?

I got all my signets by running Transylvania missions. Once you're comfortable killing things in Transylvania almost any mission labeled "hard" will give you a signet reward bag.

Don't listen to the people in this thread that say "Carpathian Fangs doesn't have any signet reward bags" because they're wrong. It does. I want to say that if you go back through all the zones from Blue Mountain to Carp Fangs you can get 12 signet bags every three days. It's also a fantastic way to get xp. I don't know if sequin bags are worth anything in the auction house anymore but you can turn sequins into bags and auction those off for money.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

revenance posted:

The final missions in the Issue 5/6/7 chains each give you a blue signet bag and are repeatable. You can run past all but one of the enemies in Issue 5's, and a lot of the enemies in 6's. These are literally ten times more rewarding than green signet bag missions, so if you're looking for something daily to do, I recommend that.

(you can also level up alts to the bare minimum on a double-AP weekend and have them run through the missions as well)

Alternatively, get purpled up and solo Group Elite scenarios. You'll barely save a few survivors each time and it's really stressful, but you can make 20 mil in 20 minutes if you're lucky.

Also, save up Sequins of Sunrise and buy anything new when the AEGIS shield stuff comes out, then sell it on the AH for wildly inflated prices. Or buy the upgrade kits that are for sale now, they'll probably double or triple in price for little bit after the patch hits.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Thanks for the responses. I just came back after playing at launch, so I only have issue #5. Scenarios require #8, right? How many people would it normally take for a group elite, since I play with my wife as well? Are Sunrise Sequins from #9?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

revenance posted:

Thanks for the responses. I just came back after playing at launch, so I only have issue #5. Scenarios require #8, right? How many people would it normally take for a group elite, since I play with my wife as well? Are Sunrise Sequins from #9?

Scenarios do require #8, though I recommend going through 6 and 7 first. Two people can do group elites, but you need decent NM gear and at least blue signets, and the skill/gear builds for it are pretty much only good for scenarios. If you're not very purple, I'd just run NMs and the Issue missions (which give you purples and diet purple signets to put in them) and get yourselves all blue signets, which are 2/3rds as good and 1/10th the time investment.

Sequins of Sunrise are from Tokyo missions, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

revenance posted:

Don't do issue 8. It's bad. Cheston is literally the only person that likes them.

• Locked thread