Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Drone posted:

I was bored and just recorded an hourlong intro video/very basic tutorial for DH: Kaiserreich. Would anyone be actually interested if I uploaded that to Youtube? Not as an actual longrunning LP, but as a general overview of Hearts of Iron and how it's different from other Paradox games like EU4 and CK2 that are maybe more accessible.

Please do. I just picked up DH and would love an introduction to the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Two months into the invasion and progress has stalled. The Germans have brought in reinforcements to shore up their defences and, somewhat surprisingly, their puppet the Italian Republic has committed a good amount of troops, many of them elite mountain infantry and even an armored divisions, to stop me in the south. I still have local numerical superiority as far as I can tell, but I am re-organizing my front lines by spreading out the American infantry to allow my mobile Canadian and British troops to regain the initiative. In the meantime I am shipping over a further 240,000 American troops to reinforce my troops in France.

Soviet Russia has failed to make much headway against Mitteleuropa in the east, having suffered over 1,000,000 casualties in 5 months and even been pushed back in some areas.

In the far east the Qing Empire has taken provinces from both Soviets and Mongolia and seem to have seized the initiative, at least for the time being. Japan has invaded German-controlled southern China and seems to finally be doing something with their 5 year long war with Germany.

In Carlise work has begun on a new kind of weapon.

e: All signs seem to point towards Germany's Iberian puppets being almost completely defenseless, so I'm thinking that once my American reinforcements arrive I will recall my marine divisions and launch an invasion of Iberia, this will allow me to enter the Mediterranean and knock out Italy.

e2: Can I get an event for me handing France back to National France even though we are no longer allied?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 13, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Yet the million-th HoI-3 question from me. Is there a way to get countries to send expeditionary forces to me, or would I have to cheat and switch over to them to get them? Basically I'd feel much better about my chances as France if I didn't worry that AI England is going to sit around doing nothing with its forces while I try to hold the line...

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Randarkman posted:

e2: Can I get an event for me handing France back to National France even though we are no longer allied?

There should be an event after conquering France to decide what to do with it, as happens with most European countries. In Canada's case - and I assume for the UK, its probably a likely option. No idea if it will fire for the UK though, as most times I play that far as Entente, National France manages to take some of mainland france and fire off the Bordeaux Treaty with Germany.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Drone posted:

I was bored and just recorded an hourlong intro video/very basic tutorial for DH: Kaiserreich. Would anyone be actually interested if I uploaded that to Youtube? Not as an actual longrunning LP, but as a general overview of Hearts of Iron and how it's different from other Paradox games like EU4 and CK2 that are maybe more accessible.

I would one billion percent like to watch this. I'm pretty alright with playing a game of EU2-4 or V1-2 but whenever I try to do some DH I just kinda do random things for 10 minutes and give up. A youtube video as a primer is exactly what I am looking for.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

TheMcD posted:

How does it result in a cold war when literally the moment the USA is annexed an event fires to force war between the CSA and AUS?

Must be new or bugged, I've never seen that event myself! But yeah obviously that makes a lot more sense.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been trying to get into DH the past few days and while I enjoy the idea of it, I don't like the interface at all, nor the map. There's just so much micromanagement and I get lost during the wars because I can't see what's going on. I've only played as germany so far and I get the general idea of the game. I enjoy it, but I'm just frustrated with how it's presented. I've played the majority of paradox's major games, so i'm not unfamiliar with the learning curve either.

Is HOI3 any better in this? What about general gameplay? Also what DLC would I need for it?

maker fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 13, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
HOI3 is probably even worse than DH for trying to understand/play HOI well.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

maker posted:

I've been trying to get into DH the past few days and while I enjoy the idea of it, I don't like the interface at all, nor the map. There's just so much micromanagement and I get lost during the wars because I can't see what's going on. I've only played as germany so far and I get the general idea of the game. I enjoy it, but I'm just frustrated with how it's presented. I've played the majority of paradox's major games, so i'm not unfamiliar with the learning curve either.

Is HOI3 any better in this? What about general gameplay? Also what DLC would I need for it?

The interface, map, and micromanagement are all worse in HoI3.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Okay, I uploaded my one-hour whirlwind tour of Darkest Hour: Kaiserreich. It's not intended to be a real let's play, just a general overview of how Darkest Hour (and, by extension, Hearts of Iron 2) works as a game and how it's different from other PDS games like V2 or EU4. I don't go -deep- into any topic, and try to just get the basics out there so new players can understand the system and help make sense of the massive amount of information and numbers the game spits out at you.

I didn't really plan it to be a true tutorial video, but it was a video test that I was relatively satisfied with, so I went with it. I spent most of the video explaining how the game works and less time about how to actually fight a war, so that will be coming in the next day or two with Part 2, where I start from my single-player save right in the middle of a major war. I'll go into more depth on the various systems in much smaller, easier-to-process chunks instead of hourlong overviews.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, since I've never recorded a tutorial video before. Hopefully it's more helpful than harmful for newbies. I can be a bit long-winded.

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q87z-VinYP8

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

maker posted:

DH is a total reworking of an old game, HoI2 in the HoI2 engine, and Germany is the right country to learn with. HoI3 is better in some ways, because you can assign the AI to do that part, but worse in a whole lot more, because it's even more micromanagey to deal with yourself. There's still fun to be had in it, but you won't get the fun you are looking for without Semper Fi, For The Motherland, and Their Finest Hour. The HOI series might not be for you, I've not really enjoyed it much but after CK2 and EU4 I'm hopeful for HOI4.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

fermun posted:

DH is a total reworking of an old game, HoI2 in the HoI2 engine, and Germany is the right country to learn with. HoI3 is better in some ways, because you can assign the AI to do that part, but worse in a whole lot more, because it's even more micromanagey to deal with yourself. There's still fun to be had in it, but you won't get the fun you are looking for without Semper Fi, For The Motherland, and Their Finest Hour. The HOI series might not be for you, I've not really enjoyed it much but after CK2 and EU4 I'm hopeful for HOI4.

It (HOI2/DH) has a somewhat steep learning curve or rather it is very different from CK2 and EU4, with its focus on warfare. One thing that can make it very frustrating to new players is that you usually have to wait between 3-6 years before the war starts, but by that time you may find that you actually have no idea how you are supposed to actually fight the war. It took me shamefully long time to discover the strategic redeployment command forr an example which made fighting wars a matter of some great difficulty and frustration.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Seemed to start out a little quiet but got a little better - hate against sprites ruined it for me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Westminster System posted:

Seemed to start out a little quiet but got a little better - hate against sprites ruined it for me.

Nothing against sprites in general, they just look terrible in DH :negative:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The liberation of France is all but done, I have annexed Germany's French puppets and have reinforced my frontlines against them so I can divert resources to knocking out their Iberian and Italian puppets. I've not gotten an event to turn France over to National France yet, though.

Things are not going well for the Soviets in the east, not in the least bit, they must be facing the full strength of the German armies and if my intel is correct they have actually lost around 120 divisions (as in they have been destroyed). Moscow is close to being encircled and it is doubtful how much longer they can last.

In the far east the Qing Empire has annexed Mongolia and continues making progress against the Soviets while Japanese and Indochinese are attacking the AOG.

I might have to look at the event .txt files to see if there is supposed to be an event that fires upon liberating France and whether it applies to the UK.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is there a way to add middle-click dragging to Darkest Hour? I usually play in windowed mode, which makes edge-scrolling a pain.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anyone know what happens if I separate peace one of Germany's puppets? Do they stop being a puppet, because if not I will just have to annex and release them myself I think. If they became independent and neutral I'd consider just doing that because then I can knock them out (and stop Germany from using their territory) simply by taking one or two VP provinces.

e: noticing that most German divisions seem to be pretty severly understrength, they might be running critically low on manpower.
Maybe a massive offensive into Germany will cause their entire defensive line to collapse?

e2:

This attack just started. The German divisions involved are all at <50% strength. I might attempt some prodding attacks across the line to see if this is the case everywhere, which I suspect.

e3:

This looks promising

e3:

Awww Yeah

EDIT:
This is getting quite ridiculous the German armies are basically in complete rout on the western front and its looking like I can encircle another 12 divisions soon. If the AI were smart it would sue for peace with the Soviets and redeploy troops to the west to halt my advance.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 13, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Randarkman posted:

Anyone know what happens if I separate peace one of Germany's puppets? Do they stop being a puppet, because if not I will just have to annex and release them myself I think

I didn't think that was even possible.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gort posted:

I didn't think that was even possible.

Yeah, I found that out recently. So I've just been annexing them instead.

Also I console commanded my way to give France back to National France and ally them, because it made sense. This has somehow put me into an organisational nightmare though as my American allies decided to transfer the troops I was commanding to France as expeditionary forces, and France split many of them up into smaller units and retreated them back to defend their borders, and I had to wait close to two weeks so I could assume control over France and untangle this mess.
After that they transferred them to Spain (just released as puppet), and I had to assume command over them as well. It seems the game is trying to make things difficult for me, this has effectively halted my entire advance as I was depending on American manpower to hold the lines while I maneuvred my Canadian and British forces to go for the kill.
I guess that's just what you have to expect from a joint nation effort in war, especially when you invovle the French.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I'm really enjoying your KR updates, keep them coming!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Same. Though now I feel stupid for not seeing how to do strategic redeployment before.

"Guess ill just march my units across siberia :downs:"

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Agean90 posted:

Same. Though now I feel stupid for not seeing how to do strategic redeployment before.

"Guess ill just march my units across siberia :downs:"

Don't worry, everyone feels like an idiot when they find that out.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Westminster System posted:

It's not his fault that you have the worst taste. :colbert:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm really enjoying your KR updates, keep them coming!

Thanks. I'm having fun making them, it motivates me to actually finish this game and do stuff in it and also gives me a reason to take breaks where I evaluate the situation and consider my next move which I feel has really helped my overall strategy. I'm growing somewhat exhausted of the war against Germany at the moment particularly after I had to clean up the right mess the game made for me after I restored France. Think I'll post an update where I just go over the world with some info on countries and wars currently going on.

Also counters ARE superior.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Yet the million-th HoI-3 question from me. Is there a way to get countries to send expeditionary forces to me, or would I have to cheat and switch over to them to get them? Basically I'd feel much better about my chances as France if I didn't worry that AI England is going to sit around doing nothing with its forces while I try to hold the line...

You can set objectives for allies to either attack or defend, sometimes if your allies can't reach it on their own for whatever reason they'll give you an expeditionary force to command while they focus on other stuff. Just... don't give any AI country more than one objective, they're a little :downs: about focusing on them and more than one means they end up endlessly shuffling between the two objectives instead of actually, you know, fighting.

EDIT: Cleared up the wording.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 13, 2014

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Friend Commuter posted:

Don't worry, everyone feels like an idiot when they find that out.

I was lucky that my first contact with HoI2 was in multiplayer and people yelled at me for not using it pretty soon.

They also yelled at me for putting paratroopers and tanks in the same army.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I was lucky that my first contact with HoI2 was in multiplayer and people yelled at me for not using it pretty soon.

They also yelled at me for putting paratroopers and tanks in the same army.

We managed to get Italian tanks into Stalingrad in that game. A crowning moment for Benito.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So it turns out one way to mess with Germany's groove is to invade Rome like the same day they decide to take over Poland.

Do coups/covert actions work in HoI3 though? I was trying them out finally (wanted to see if something would happen to Persia and then Nationalist Spain) and tried 7 times between them to no affect?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

So it turns out one way to mess with Germany's groove is to invade Rome like the same day they decide to take over Poland.

Do coups/covert actions work in HoI3 though? I was trying them out finally (wanted to see if something would happen to Persia and then Nationalist Spain) and tried 7 times between them to no affect?

The first time I ever tried to coup, I couped Austria as Germany (what the gently caress was I thinking?). So yes, they do work sometimes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there a good starter nation in Kaiserreich that gets into a small war with somebody early on just so I can get a handle on war in general?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a good starter nation in Kaiserreich that gets into a small war with somebody early on just so I can get a handle on war in general?

A small war? Not really. If you go to vanilla Darkest Hour, you could do the Italians in their early war against Abyssinia I guess. Other than that most of the early wars in Kaiserreich are civil wars, some of them will leave you feeling overwhelmed (like the American Civil War, or Russia). Spain might be fairly good.

Speaking of small wars, I just recorded Part 2 of my tutorial video, this time actually focused on fighting a war. It's less talky and more about setting up a front and running through a small operational campaign (an invasion of Flanders-Wallonia by me, Commune of France), and focusing on actual gameplay instead of blathering. It's a part of my larger war against the German Empire, but it covers the invasion of the low countries on 1 July 1939 up to my annexation of Belgium around 3 weeks later. Will have it uploaded in around 12 hours.

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 13, 2014

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

StashAugustine posted:

Russia's probably your best bet. You'll get plenty of events that lead to war with your smaller, unaligned neighbors.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The best way to learn Darkest Hour has always been to play Germany. The whole world follows what you do (EG: nobody declares war until you do) and you get a series of increasingly difficult wars (EG: Poland -> France -> UK -> USSR) to ease you into the combat mechanics.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

StashAugustine posted:

Georgia? They have a war with Azerbaijan, who you're slightly stronger than

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Brazil/La Plata can square off in a relatively balanced conflict.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

So in Darkest Hour Light when should I be using which tank? Is it light for break throughs heavies for making them or what?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Gorelab posted:

So in Darkest Hour Light when should I be using which tank? Is it light for break throughs heavies for making them or what?

Not sure about DH Lite, but from what I've heard in DH Full, light tanks aren't that great. Mediums are the best on a general basis, but I think heavies might be better for breaking through. You use motorized infantry for breakthroughs because they're faster, and that's pretty much all you need once you punch the hole.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Hm. Then what are tanks' roll in the whole scheme? Like I know infatry is generally to have your line/support attacks and mobiler units are for encircling.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Gorelab posted:

Hm. Then what are tanks' roll in the whole scheme? Like I know infatry is generally to have your line/support attacks and mobiler units are for encircling.

From what I can tell (and that might not be a lot, I still can't use a navy beyond MORE loving SUBS), tanks are the big breakthrough units. Light tanks don't really help in either direction (not fast enough for encircling - MOT are better, not enough punch for breakthroughs, medium and heavy tanks are better), AFAIK.

There are quite a few things in the game that are just useless, so it's not like everything has to have a use. I mean, they have a use, but it turned out that other units are better at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Gorelab posted:

In Darkest Hour, tanks are pretty bad at actual combat for their cost. If you're just going to attack head-on, infantry are for you. If you're going to go through a hole with no enemy units in it, or one where you've forced the enemy to retreat, you want motorised infantry.

Tanks are in a weird place where they're cool and you think you ought to build them because it's goddamn WW2 after all, but if you want to fight something in an IC-efficient manner, you bring infantry, and if you want to encircle something in an IC-efficient manner, you bring motorised infantry. Tanks sort of fall inbetween those two roles, but are too expensive to really be worthwhile in either.

The basic problem is that infantry has a lot of Hard Attack, so tanks don't go through them the way they should, and their Hardness doesn't help as much as it should.

• Locked thread