Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

spankmeister posted:

and use DRBL multicast so you can image several pc's at once :pcgaming:

I've always wanted to play with that but never had an opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bobbilljim posted:

i would like to hear more about why you are using windows xp at this time

okay fine i have 8 of these gateway workstations that i paid $10 for collectively and if you can put windows xp on them some morons will pay upward of $75-100 for them on ebay

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Luigi Thirty posted:

okay fine i have 8 of these gateway workstations that i paid $10 for collectively and if you can put windows xp on them some morons will pay upward of $75-100 for them on ebay

if you had asked me earlier if there was an acceptable reason to install xp today i would have said no. but now i see the light. godspeed.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

theres probably someone who will go nuts if they have 95/98 on them

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

well yeah, its heavily dependent on how big your selection is. if you're only backing up the same limited folder selection as onedrive its going to be about the same time but if you're pushing your entire system over a dsl line the initial sync will take forever. sync your user profile with appdata\local and local low excluded, probably exclude the downloads folder, maybe exclude movies or other media files you don't really care about as well. that will get you most of what you want. then have a secondary backup drive or nas as your secondary backup location to send the entire system to so you can do a full restore

yes. but.

now I use a time capsule and intermittently vopy errything to an offline disk suits me just fine

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

its me, im the forums poster whose time is worth nothing

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody posted:

same

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
if your time is worth anything why would you be posting here in the first place

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Bloody posted:

also same

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

theres probably someone who will go nuts if they have 95/98 on them

they'll pay $250 if you can set a computer up to dual boot dos 6.2 and 98se. they'll pay over $400 for a complete setup with a monitor and kb+mouse. i've got a couple mac IIs that people will pay $150 for, too.

Bloody posted:

volume motherfucker! it's not labor-intensive, it's "click OK and come back in 3 hours"-intensive.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Heresiarch posted:

if your time is worth anything why would you be posting here in the first place

for pleasure op

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

they'll pay $250 if you can set a computer up to dual boot dos 6.2 and 98se. they'll pay over $400 for a complete setup with a monitor and kb+mouse. i've got a couple mac IIs that people will pay $150 for, too.

volume motherfucker! it's not labor-intensive, it's "click OK and come back in 3 hours"-intensive.
who are these people and how can i get in on this

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

theyre idiots op

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

theadder posted:

theyre idiots op

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

anthonypants posted:

who are these people and how can i get in on this

it's generally either olds who hate change, factories who need DOS/3.1/95 for CNC hardware, or collectors who want to play bideo James on original hardware

i can literally buy the computers from the local government for a dollar.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's generally either olds who hate change, factories who need DOS/3.1/95 for CNC hardware, or collectors who want to play bideo James on original hardware

for cnc poo poo it's probably custom software or plugins that aren't backward compatible. mach3 runs on win7 as long as it's 32-bit not 64-bit windows.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

what's the specs on em

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the ones i have? 2.8ghz p4, 1.5gb ram, 40gb hd. they're total unusable poses but people will pay outrageous sums for them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

the ones i have? 2.8ghz p4, 1.5gb ram, 40gb hd. they're total unusable poses but people will pay outrageous sums for them.

i'm sure that'll run an old cnc just fine

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

spankmeister posted:

i'm sure that'll run an old cnc just fine

oh yeah that'll run ancient cnc software, i meant for like olds trying to use it as a computer because loving OBAMA'S WINDOWS 8

some of them go to schools too because of science labs with old equipment that doesn't work on anything newer than 98 or teachers that want to use X program from 20 years ago

my physics teacher in college gave everyone these CDs with his homemade review software from the late 90s written in like VB6

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 13, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh dang i was hoping for piii or earlier

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

people will pay for those too. some p3 shitbox running 98se went for over a hundred recently

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

people will pay for those too. some p3 shitbox running 98se went for over a hundred recently

yeah mostly because they tend to use significantly less power and often use parts that are still manufactured somewhat.

like how the 486 I got for free recently, turns out that the type of RAM it uses is still being manufactured at large scale in the us.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

same

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

a piss

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
aaaaaaaa ever since i updated to yosemite, airplay audio to my apple tv from my MBA has been lagging. I've restarted the mac, the apple tv and my router several times. nothing seems to work!!!!! it worked perfectly before the yosemite update.

aaaaaaaa

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

you know why XP might still be in use for workstations but a better question is why not run it in a VM or something since apparently it's required for something important

no it is absolutely vital that we continue to run our business critical application on this shitbox dell with bad ram, a hard drive that fails smart tests (you turned them off), and a power supply that will fry every component in the system if you look at it funny

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Granbar posted:

aaaaaaaa ever since i updated to yosemite, airplay audio to my apple tv from my MBA has been lagging. I've restarted the mac, the apple tv and my router several times. nothing seems to work!!!!! it worked perfectly before the yosemite update.

aaaaaaaa

EDIT: nvm, fixed it by whiggling the optical sound cable a bit....... :) :'

Zam Wesell fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 17, 2014

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Blugh, I hate when I'm indecisive about something, it gnaws at me.

In the market for a mobile full-fat tablet (already have an ipad) to do photo process / retouch and sketch work on; two main contenders are:

Cintiq Companion: http://uk.shop.wacom.eu/products/others/cintiq-companion/567

Surface Pro 3: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-512GB-Intel/dp/B00KHR51D2/

Processing Comparison: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/1133827?baseline=317830

Next to nothing in the price, but the Surface has a nicer hi-res screen and a slight nose ahead in processor power, and the Cintiq has the better screen/pen digitiser and real buttons on the bezel for CTRL and ALT when photoshopping (which is actually a big thing)... Better battery on the Surface, more solid feel (and weight) with the Cintiq.

Maybe I'll wait for the Companion 2 to be announced! :mad:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

In the market for a mobile full-fat tablet (already have an ipad) to do photo process / retouch and sketch work on; two main contenders are:

Surface Pro 3: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-512GB-Intel/dp/B00KHR51D2/

Processing Comparison: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/1133827?baseline=317830

Next to nothing in the price, but the Surface has a nicer hi-res screen and a slight nose ahead in processor power, and the Cintiq has the better screen/pen digitiser and real buttons on the bezel for CTRL and ALT when photoshopping (which is actually a big thing)... Better battery on the Surface, more solid feel (and weight) with the Cintiq.

the cintiq sucks dick and the sp3 is vastly better hth

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Bloody posted:

the cintiq sucks dick and the sp3 is vastly better hth

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
has anyone configured eclipse (:barf:) in a xenapp or other app streaming environment

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

NoneMoreNegative posted:

try pixelmator on your ipad i just downloaded it and its actually pretty good

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

anybody got any tips for getting a better deal from comcast

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

talked to a woman who appeared to be unable to operate their computer system

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
bullshit about cancelling /serious like/ get your way to retentions then say "it's just far too high and 'theres deals on your web page that it offered to ME why would you let ME have them? if they get shown to me that is you offering them to me!'"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i mean if you have to.

but generally any CSR should be able to get you fixed up significantly by saying that their website said the offers were for you. i mean, it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

they have a bunch of new customer stuff that looks good & i kept being told i cant have

the actual ~offers for james~ look p bad