Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's very arcadey and would need adjustment, but I really liked the Max Payne 3 counter-camping mechanic. If you went unspotted long enough, it would start just popping a signal flare over your position, and IIRC the precision and frequency of the flare would increase if you kept camping. I may be making up that last bit, but it definitely popped flares over you and highlighted a zone on the map without marking exactly where you were.

I found some footage of the instructor giving her response to pilots who are mad about instructor wobble:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

mlmp08 posted:

It's very arcadey and would need adjustment, but I really liked the Max Payne 3 counter-camping mechanic. If you went unspotted long enough, it would start just popping a signal flare over your position, and IIRC the precision and frequency of the flare would increase if you kept camping. I may be making up that last bit, but it definitely popped flares over you and highlighted a zone on the map without marking exactly where you were.

Wasn't this added well after R* let the community die by buffing dumb bullshit like the Mini-14 and letting 1 shot kill hitscan snipers go untouched? I'm pretty sure the last DLC added stuff like that

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oh, I've no idea. It's a shame the MP community didn't really live. It was really fun, if not all that well balanced. Double 1911s with full kit forever.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I'm really enjoying CARB now - But the changes to the spotting mechanics can make it really difficult to pull off CAS sometimes. Ground units normally only come into view once you're ~1km out, and depending on what piece of poo poo you're flying (Stukas in my case :v:) it's incredibly hard to line stuff up in time.

I was thinking there should maybe be an upgrade you could unlock as a ground unit module, that allows you to mark a ground target every few minutes, and get a bonus if a plane/tank pops it.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Man the teamwork bonus is awarded like candy. It's kinda funny. A good step towards hopefully promoting real cooperation though. I've had some success just being nice to my pubby squad mate and they reciprocating

MisterMarmite
Feb 4, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I really wish they could think of some system to curtail the "Last on my team? Better, run and hide, and hope they quit out!" thing assholes do.

Maybe just make the last enemy on a team visible regardless? I dunno. :shrug:

From 20 minutes in, have a command car soft target spawn in for both sides that drives to the middle of the map and never automatically dies. A minute after somebody kills it, another spawns. Each worth 100 tickets. Or a respawning spotter plane that does the same, but at lower altitude than the normal ones (too easy for the runner to hit in a fast plane). Game fixed. You're welcome.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Man the teamwork bonus is awarded like candy. It's kinda funny. A good step towards hopefully promoting real cooperation though. I've had some success just being nice to my pubby squad mate and they reciprocating

Yeah when it gives you a pubbie buddy that knows what's up, actually sticking to him results in a pretty high shot at "The Best Squad" while not actually in a squad. I was skeptical of the auto-squad deal but it does work, and fairly well. My only real issue is that it just pairs people up and doesn't seem to try for threesomes or foursomes.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

4 tries. I slammed onto the carrier 4 times without the hook catching. On my fifth, I went into the water. Never land on carriers if you have an alternative.

Or learn to land on carriers and then use them to avoid getting strafed to death at your forward land base.

The reason you're probably having trouble is because you have ground avoidance turned on in the instructor. Zeroes can be the hardest naval based plane to land on a carrier but the best way to go about it is to touch your wheels down on the first wire and somewhere from the 2nd and last wire you should be going slow enough to gently pull back on the stick and catch your hook without lifting back off of the deck.

It really is mostly timing and practice than which plane you're flying. After a while you will get used to it. Or just get the Su-33 in DCS and land on carriers all day then never worry about having to land on a carrier in any other videogame again.

mlmp08 posted:

That was actually a perk activated by enemy players - basically like the UAV from Call of Duty. Trust me, I unlocked like all the multiplayer crap in that game twice because shoot dodging out of windows with a RPG or AK47 then ragdolling down stairs was pretty much the best thing you could do in a TDM game.

You could also purposely ping yourself on the radar by pressing the F key, which was basically like the "gently caress you" key that made your character verbally taunt them which was more often than not a girl cursing in Brazillian but the only visual que was on the minimap. The only real use for this outside of griefing was to lure people towards you in large maps with low player counts (aka every game Rockstar has ported to the PC after 2 months).

Also, the tazer was the best DLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DiijK4TXUM

RunawayPantleg posted:

Does the kingcobra have worse performance at high altitude? I've never flown the P-63 before so I don't know the specifics of how they handle past 6km. I know the patch specifically states many prop engines got performance tweaks for high alt which I assume includes the 84 since it was a bomber interceptor, but did the changes affect the kingcobra too? If that's the case I assume I'll have better luck dogfighting them at altitude... I usually try to drag them down to lower altitude but then they can summon energy from the ether at least as well as the 84 can and I never really out-do them, just keep up or prolong the inevitable. I am the horrible pubbie it's me please send help how do i airplane

Cobras are probably the most bullshit plane in the entire game and to answer your earlier question about facing them in the Ki-84, use teamwork. But really in a 1v1 situation just hold the altitude advantage over them. Every Cobra player banks on turn time because it's one of the easiest FMs to cheese through turns at stall speed to gain the advantage. Attack them at speed and let them try to bait you into a turn fight but break off before you lose any energy. They will then be nearly neutralized and you can bounce back on them as you please or break off for another pure BnZ attack.

If you want to turn fight a Cobra in a similar plane, you're going to have to master rolling scissors.

Thief fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 12, 2014

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Thief posted:

If you want to turn fight a Cobra in a similar plane, you're going to have to master rolling scissors.

They are like Beercats, dangerous when you're low and slow. Otherwise most planes can counter them.

Speaking of counters, the F6F is slower than the 190-A4 and I made a F6F player stall out in front of me (he bailed out). He was keeping his distance and tried to BnZ me and another 190. Scared to give up his energy advantage. His final mistake was trying to rope a dope us. Unknown to him, I was already faster then him. Thus he bailed while stalling out, I was still closing and thus didn't manage to shot him down in time. Though I do find some comfort in the other 4 kills during that round.
Summary: Yes the Hellcat is awesome. No it's not godmode. It tends to be rather "slow" and stiff at higher speeds. While the climbrate is okay, a lot of similar tiered planes will outclimb it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Hell, they could even fluff it up by spawning in a 110/Mosquito/whatever with onboard radar that points out the last guy.

In other news, I kinda wish Japan had a tier progression with more depth than "same plane, marginally better armament, +1.0 BR". Sure, those planes are generally excellent, but it does get a bit boring after a while. Besides, there's little incentive for using the otsu-variants of the Hayate and Zero when the lower ones are just as fun to fly but face much more manageable opposition.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think a theoretical solution has to do more than just point the guy out. What if the last guy is in a plane that can go faster and climb higher than the enemy team? Sure they know where he is, but he can just keep running away from them.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

some additions:

:911: P36s are pretty good turners and early in the tree. A bit lacking on armament.
The Hawks are seriously some of my favourite planes in the game. The flight model took some getting used to since they roll horribly slow, but goddamn they pull loops like nothing else and are just stupid fun to fly.
No idea how they fly in RB though, I only do CA in RB. As such I can't wait for more countries to get their ground force trees, though I'm sure Gaijin will take their sweet loving time with it.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Just spawn soft ground targets worth tickets after how ever many minutes so even fighters with rifle caliber armament can start chewing through red team tickets. The command car idea above was good, or maybe some sort of logistics convoy full of cargo trucks resupplying the front line, or landing craft helping to reinforce a beachhead. Since they're "behind the lines" these dudes would never get randomly whacked by enemy tanks / pillboxes / artillery.

Each wave of light vehicles could count for only a portion of the tickets, but if players were left alone for a few of them they should easily win the game, thus forcing the rear end in a top hat hiding to either come back and fight or lose the game.

On top of that, maybe every so often your airbase could give you "radar returns" or whatever that vaguely point out the enemy to within a grid square or so, and maybe altitude to the nearest kilometer. These could be infrequent or inaccurate but would at least guide surviving players toward anyone just sneaking around in a cloudbank for an hour.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Just spawn soft ground targets worth tickets after how ever many minutes so even fighters with rifle caliber armament can start chewing through red team tickets. The command car idea above was good, or maybe some sort of logistics convoy full of cargo trucks resupplying the front line, or landing craft helping to reinforce a beachhead. Since they're "behind the lines" these dudes would never get randomly whacked by enemy tanks / pillboxes / artillery.

Each wave of light vehicles could count for only a portion of the tickets, but if players were left alone for a few of them they should easily win the game, thus forcing the rear end in a top hat hiding to either come back and fight or lose the game.

The problem I see with this is that you're going to be stuck on the deck at low speeds plinking away at ground targets, and the guy up in the clouds can tell from the killfeed when you start attacking them, so he now knows exactly where you are and what altitude and speed you're at. Now if he's some shitlord in a B17 or jet bomber that's fine because he can't do poo poo, but if he's in a fighter he now has every piece of information he needs to start ruthlessly BnZing you. In a weird way I can see this incentivising flying off; if you're ahead in tickets you can wander off into space, safe in the knowledge that if the enemy wants to win they'll have to go lawnmowing, at which point you basically hold all the cards and can descend to pick them off at will.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

BBJoey posted:

In a weird way I can see this incentivising flying off; if you're ahead in tickets you can wander off into space, safe in the knowledge that if the enemy wants to win they'll have to go lawnmowing, at which point you basically hold all the cards and can descend to pick them off at will.

That would work if there was only 1 guy left on the team that is now lawnmowing, but if there is more than one, one guy could just stay high and cover the other guy. Considering that it would be soft targets in this situation, you don't need multiple people to be strafing

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost
Have to say, the new model viewer for tanks is a nifty little feature.

The IS-4M for example has a nice 30mm armoured strip behind the tracks going along most of it's side (it got some slope to it so directly from the side its 50mm or so). And just under the turret is the ammorack, incidentally behind said thin armour.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Skwee posted:

That would work if there was only 1 guy left on the team that is now lawnmowing, but if there is more than one, one guy could just stay high and cover the other guy. Considering that it would be soft targets in this situation, you don't need multiple people to be strafing

Yeah teamwork is OP, but if you're on/against a team made up of your typical braindead pubbies nobody's going to be providing overwatch (nobody competent at least)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think a theoretical solution has to do more than just point the guy out. What if the last guy is in a plane that can go faster and climb higher than the enemy team? Sure they know where he is, but he can just keep running away from them.

Zero battle activity results in ticket drain, maybe? Or same but based on location, as with AB's RETURN TO BATTLE AREA thing.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 13, 2014

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

This new research screen is beyond retarded. You can't repair in that screen, but you can't research certain mods unless you buy the earlier one. But you can't buy them unless you repair your plane, so if you need 50 lions of repairs and have no other mods to spend your RP on you can kiss that extra RP goodbye.

e: you spend RP on mods not "modes" :shobon:

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 13, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

El Disco posted:

This new research screen is beyond retarded. You can't repair in that screen, but you can't research certain mods unless you buy the earlier one. But you can't buy them unless you repair your plane, so if you need 50 lions of repairs and have no other modes to spend your RP on you can kiss that extra RP goodbye.

I'm obviously a fan of WT in general, but their entire UI is dumb as hell to those experienced and seemingly designed to instantly scare off any new player.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

El Disco posted:

This new research screen is beyond retarded. You can't repair in that screen, but you can't research certain mods unless you buy the earlier one. But you can't buy them unless you repair your plane, so if you need 50 lions of repairs and have no other modes to spend your RP on you can kiss that extra RP goodbye.

You should just turn on auto-repair then if all you are spending on repairs is 50 lions

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Skwee posted:

You should just turn on auto-repair then if all you are spending on repairs is 50 lions

Yes, but I see that as a work-around for their stupid system. I guess there's no room for a "repair plane" button when so much of the window is taken up by good ol' Kurt Tank at the drawing board.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
They've also made it just a tad easier to accidentally click to purchase something with hitlerbucks, in that modifications & research screen.

I think the confirmation on spending GE dialogue looks the same as any other, still.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I think it'd be good if they stopped coding new useless poo poo like the race mode or perpetually loving with the spotting and kill credit systems and instead spent time on making what's actually there work in an intuitive fashion but hey I'm not a Russian game dev that's constantly losing players from the one successful game they have so what do I know :shrug:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Max Manus posted:

The IS-4M for example has a nice 30mm armoured strip behind the tracks going along most of it's side (it got some slope to it so directly from the side its 50mm or so). And just under the turret is the ammorack, incidentally behind said thin armour.

One thing I've really, really been enjoying is the ballistics model that actually takes into account multiple penetrations or richochets. Knowing about the early Panther and Tiger 2 (P) turret shot traps has helped me more than a few times.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Oh, I've no idea. It's a shame the MP community didn't really live. It was really fun, if not all that well balanced. Double 1911s with full kit forever.

Kinda reminds me of the way that WT keeps ignoring high-tier bomber spam. The most fun way to play (Dual 1911's/actual dogfighting) gets no results compared to the safe but super loving boring (mini-14 camping/bomberspam/run and hide).

Though WT at least doesn't have the hacker/connection issues, luckily. I do enjoy this game when B-17's don't come screaming down from their extra-high start to one-pass all my team's bases.

Literally all it would take to make this game way more fun is making killing the airfield not an instant win. I want to fly some jets, but trying to progress has driven me batshit lately.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Though WT at least doesn't have the hacker/connection issues, luckily. I do enjoy this game when B-17's don't come screaming down from their extra-high start to one-pass all my team's bases.

Literally all it would take to make this game way more fun is making killing the airfield not an instant win. I want to fly some jets, but trying to progress has driven me batshit lately.
And once more people get their hands on B-57s/Canberras, even high tier RB is going to be ruined by this poo poo. I've already seen several games as Japan where B-57 squads just blow up all the carriers on New Guinea and end the game in about 3 minutes.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Kinda reminds me of the way that WT keeps ignoring high-tier bomber spam. The most fun way to play (Dual 1911's/actual dogfighting) gets no results compared to the safe but super loving boring (mini-14 camping/bomberspam/run and hide).

its even worse now with the spotting system, seriously who thought it was a good idea to limit what you can see in Arcade?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Amazingly I managed to love through 8 passes at a good 800 meters above a base bombing it in a B-17. The last two passes I couldn't hit anything because I was in a continual loop from having every control surface shot out.

We still lost but it was pretty amazing.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

AceRimmer posted:

And once more people get their hands on B-57s/Canberras, even high tier RB is going to be ruined by this poo poo. I've already seen several games as Japan where B-57 squads just blow up all the carriers on New Guinea and end the game in about 3 minutes.

It's really astonishing that the nation which is least equipped to handle bomber rushes has the maps which are easiest to bomber rush on. That's the sort of genius game design you only get from Gaijin Entertainment.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

AceRimmer posted:

I'm already seeing this happen when I take my B-24 out to play. Japan often murders a lot of the bombers, but not before they get through, so you end up with scenarios where 3/4s of the Allied team is dead and Japan still loses in 5 minutes.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

BBJoey posted:

It's really astonishing that the nation which is least equipped to handle bomber rushes has the maps which are easiest to bomber rush on. That's the sort of genius game design you only get from Gaijin Entertainment.

idk man

5 minutes later (after we already killed carriers, tickets not bleeding)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Well obviously Peleliu's carriers don't cause a roundend because :downs:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It is loving excellent that a single .50 is more powerful than my Ki-96's 37mm. Exceptional.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Plan Z posted:

One thing I've really, really been enjoying is the ballistics model that actually takes into account multiple penetrations or richochets. Knowing about the early Panther and Tiger 2 (P) turret shot traps has helped me more than a few times.

I just love the fact that tanks don't have hit points and you can one shot things with good aiming. It rewards good positioning and use of terrain. (Also setting kraut shitbox transmissions on fire by shooting the lower front plate never gets old).

Also on an unrelated note, is Poland a new map? It's pretty awesome to have a huge swathe of open ground and a large town to fight in. I took a keyhole position overlooking one of the squares and killed five Panzer III's in my glorious T-34, then was hunkered down while a few planes levelled buildings trying to get me.

Execu-speak fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 13, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

A6M3s vs F7Fs is Incredibly Good poo poo. :waycool:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I was playing my S79 for the past hour, just trying to finish off the last couple modules I had yet to get... And I noticed something. My experience wasn't going up. Puzzled, I played another game. Blew some poo poo up. Looked at the screen to make SURE the battle was done. It said I gained experience, but there was nothing on the research screen. So I relogged.

You stupid piece of poo poo. I was earning experience without getting credited for it? How? Why? 2,000 points of loving RP left to spend on a plane with no loving modules left to research loving :kheldragar:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Max Manus posted:

Between that and the death-cams, it should vastly reduce the level of 'This is bullshit! How did that even happen!?' crying from players. There's a lot of difference between being hit by a shot out of the blue and your tank suddenly stops working, and the current system where it shows you exactly how that shrapnel went and turned your entire crew into kibble.

Also, neat feature of the armor viewer: It shows you the actual AND effective depth of each plate, based on what angle you're viewing it from.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
The only feature missing is a 'combined, effective armor thickness' when more plates overlap each other, like on many gun mantlets or tanks equipped with additional aplique armor or armored skirts. I can see how that might be tricky as the armor on the other side of the vehicle will always be in the same LoS.

Anyway, seconding that Poland is an awesome map. Probably my new favorite as it offers all kinds of combat ranges and the battles develop very different depending on where the mission objective(s) are placed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
After bashing my head into the wall that is upper tier III/tier IV, I decided to go back and unlock skins and spade planes and it's so fukken chill. :cool: Much better than getting bounced by Germans and Russian P-63s all day.

• Locked thread