Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed it. A good episode. Best of the season, which is not a struggle- best of the last three (6, 7, 8) possibly.

Though for personal reasons A Town Called Mercy may still rank above it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

All y'all forgetting the Hartnell appearance too :colbert:

It didn't strike me until now how strange it is that Clara wakes up there.

The Doctor teleported everyone into the TARDIS, then flew to the nearest inhabited planet. At which point he carried Clara's unconscious body out, and lay her on a bunch of rocks.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

At which point he carried Clara's unconscious body out

Or dematerialized the TARDIS around her. But yeah, kinda weird.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Saw the episode today. I'm not a big fan of the interaction between the Doctor and Clara; I think it robs Kill the Moon of its punch at the end. That being said, wow is Capaldi knocking it out of the park at playing a weird mixture of all of his predecessors. You can hear Tom Baker's voice come out of his mouth in one moment and the next he has crotchety Hartnell mannerisms, which he then swishes away with a touch of Three. The writing supports him sometimes with jellybabies and yo-yos and "When I say run, run!" but he manages to channel them all without making it feel like he's "doing" them. It really does feel like they're putting in a few easter eggs here and there for fans of the classic show without taking away from the plot each week.

I'm also glad that I can finally stop complaining that Doctor Who didn't get a proper Christie episode because the incidental music and a lot of the production stuff made it feel like it was Agatha Christie's Poirot in space. Stripped of the context of this season and the Clara stuff, it was a fun one.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, my only complaints are about the Clara/Doctor interaction. She was so pissed off after Kill the Moon that having her tagging along was pretty jarring, even as a last hurrah. I also get that she's either addicted to the Doctor herself or wants to keep him from being heartless by traveling with him. Given that, based on the writer's AMA, Moffat was handling most of the Clara/Doctor interactions that dealt with their relationship status (for lack of a better term that I can think of at 1:30 a.m.), I have to hand it to Mathie for writing a drat good episode. I don't care for the premise of next week's episode at all, but I had low hopes for Mummy and it turned out great, so hopefully next week's Who is great too!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

it's clear to see now that T-Bakes is Capaldi's preferred Doctor to "call back to".

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Did the Doctor bury the soldier in the sand there, or was he just loving around while he waited for Clara to wake up?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Pwnstar posted:

Did the Doctor bury the soldier in the sand there, or was he just loving around while he waited for Clara to wake up?

I think he was making more of those calculations we've seen him do

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NowonSA posted:

I don't care for the premise of next week's episode at all, but I had low hopes for Mummy and it turned out great, so hopefully next week's Who is great too!

The concept for the next episode is weird, but I feel like the effects will make or break it. If the writer's the same person as this week's then I have faith they can write it very well, but the concept's something that really needs effects that can carry it.

I'm looking forward to seeing them try, at least.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Senor Tron posted:

It didn't strike me until now how strange it is that Clara wakes up there.

The Doctor teleported everyone into the TARDIS, then flew to the nearest inhabited planet. At which point he carried Clara's unconscious body out, and lay her on a bunch of rocks.

lays her on a blanket (on a bunch of rocks).

the fresh air will be good for her.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I felt like Jenna's 180 at the end wasn't earned. Not the fault of the writer. there was some really good bits leading up to it, I just think it was too soon. Just like the Doctor "pushing her too far" the very next episode after Danny warns her about it... it's not enough build-up for a scene that powerful. It's almost the fault of the actors, Capaldi and Coleman are so good that their believability is almost worse worse than the more exaggerated Doctors and companions. I think an episode between each would have done wonders.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

RodShaft posted:

I felt like Jenna's 180 at the end wasn't earned. Not the fault of the writer. there was some really good bits leading up to it, I just think it was too soon.
It also wasn't very subtle. "Is that why you do what you do? It's an addiction?" [30 seconds later] "Okay, I've just lied to my boyfriend and justified it to myself so that I can keep on doing it! Nothing bad can come of this!" [manic smile]

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Any other Australians seeing a bit of Mr Squiggle in all that?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think its better to go back to having fun with crazy adventures too easily than to spend too much time agonizing over it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pwnstar posted:

I think its better to go back to having fun with crazy adventures too easily than to spend too much time agonizing over it.

Yeah I'd say erring on the side of having it happen too soon and unearned is miles better than it becoming a drawn out thing. It's already commendable they went there in the first place. Maybe my standards are too low but eh.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It did feel a bit rushed, but The Doctor consciously putting himself in harm's way to save someone must have been pretty inspiring.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

And addictions are pretty adept at hijacking your ability to make rational decisions regarding them.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It did feel a bit rushed, but The Doctor consciously putting himself in harm's way to save someone must have been pretty inspiring.

It was very badass. "Give me sixty seconds with this thing and I'll have it!"

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Was the resolution to Clara being mad at the Doctor and the Doctor being a cold jerk really just Clara deciding to ignore it? Someone please explain this to me so I can still like the show, because it gave me this very unhealthy impression of an emotionally abused girlfriend/wife justifying her partners behavior again because she likes some other aspect of him. It really feels not okay...

Moffat has shrugged huge emotional issues away before (i.e. Amy and Rory being okay they'd never get to raise their baby) so suppose so it's not that surprising...

I liked the rest of the episode until Clara's about face, though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ashez2ashes posted:

Was the resolution to Clara being mad at the Doctor and the Doctor being a cold jerk really just Clara deciding to ignore it? Someone please explain this to me so I can still like the show, because it gave me this very unhealthy impression of an emotionally abused girlfriend/wife justifying her partners behavior again because she likes some other aspect of him. It really feels not okay...

Moffat has shrugged huge emotional issues away before (i.e. Amy and Rory being okay they'd never get to raise their baby) so suppose so it's not that surprising...

You know the discussion they had literally a minute before about addiction? That wasn't about the Doctor. It was about as bluntly put as you could get short of Danny turning to the audience and saying "well you're addicted to the Doctor! That's a bad thing!"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm doing some rewatches of this season because my dad was in town and he hasn't been able to see it. So far, I've really dug Deep Breath and Into the Dalek on rewatch. So far, I'd say it's a pretty good season.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

computer parts posted:

It was about as bluntly put as you could get short of Danny turning to the audience and saying "well you're addicted to the Doctor! That's a bad thing!"

I had that over the long winter this year when I was going through an entire Big Finish audio every day. :shepspends:

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Well the official doctor who FB page posted that Foxes cover and most people seem to not like it. I didn't find it bad, but Queen fans are calling it sacrilege.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

computer parts posted:

Probably, but that still raises the question of who programmed him/who wants the mummy.

Thought it was pretty clear when the Doctor said that "he's given me tickets, even call me a call once" implying that he was programmed/made by the woman who has the TARDIS' number who I'm guessing is also connected with Paradise. Also Paradise seems to have a robot/people in uniform theme going on.

Overall really enjoyed that episode, second favorite behind Robin Hood and I'm really interested in the Paradise plot.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

ashez2ashes posted:

It's not the resolution, it's the point that the story's at. The fact that she lies to both The Doctor and Danny about it indicates that the story's going forward. She's ignoring it right now because, well, she does like the Doctor and she loves traveling in time and space.

Plus she has started to see him soften up a bit and turn more into the man she remembers. That alone's got to make it easier to make that bad decision.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
cosplay in motion, by me

because someone built a TARDIS for NYCC and I had the opportunity

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 13, 2014

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

DoctorWhat posted:

cosplay in motion, by me

You are the hero this thread deserves, but not the one it wants to associate itself with. :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Solaris Knight posted:

You are the hero this thread deserves, but not the one it wants to associate itself with. :allears:

This is the post I wanted to make but could not put into words.

(Don't worry DoctorWhat...I think you're pretty cool.)

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

DoctorWhat posted:

cosplay in motion, by me

DoctorWhat is so loving adorable. Favorite poster in this thread, by far. (No offense J-Ru and Cobi, but call me when you guys start doing your reviews in cosplay)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i just realized that I'd forgotten to tuck my NYCC badge behind my waistcoat and it's flailing about conspicuously.

ALAS, ALACK

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

i just realized that I'd forgotten to tuck my NYCC badge behind my waistcoat and it's flailing about conspicuously.

ALAS, ALACK

There are some things even psychic paper cannot spoof, and a convention access badge is one of them.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

McGann posted:

DoctorWhat is so loving adorable. Favorite poster in this thread, by far. (No offense J-Ru and Cobi, but call me when you guys start doing your reviews in cosplay)

What do you think I'm wearing as I'm writing?

I don't care what anyone says, DoctorWhat's joy for the series (and old Sixie) is so drat infectious and it makes this threat a better one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DoctorWhat posted:

cosplay in motion, by me

Want to make it really accurate? Put an obvious CSO planet behind it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

McGann posted:

I ate some celery once while I was writing a review, does that count? :shobon:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

McGann posted:

No love for the cantankerous old man of the thread who sort of stopped writing reviews for when real life started up again??

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No love for the cantankerous old man of the thread who sort of stopped writing reviews for when real life started up again??

Prior Marcus wrote reviews?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Barry Foster posted:

Prior Marcus wrote reviews?

No more of your lip or I will never post my 140,000 word Krotons writeup

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I ate some celery once while I was writing a review, does that count? :shobon:

If nothing else, I'm sure it's good for your teeth.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DoctorWhat posted:

cosplay in motion, by me

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

DoctorWhat posted:

cosplay in motion, by me

No curls, 0/10, would not bang.

Seriously, DoctorWhat, that's awesome.

• Locked thread