Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

What others said about one at a time, but also the whip guys are basically useless unless you're going no-shield or something.

Yeah, I do take them one at a time, and the whip guys aren't too bad. The other guys are horrible, though. I can't seem to stagger them with my attacks (granted, I'm a wimpy Sorcerer with a fire Longsword that's only +3 so that probably isn't helping) and if they hit me once they can combo me to death easy. I've lost about 20k souls at this point (which I know from Demon's and Dark isn't much but it really stings early on) and I'm not super sure if I'm just too weak for this part or if I'm just a whole lot worse at this than I am at the other two Souls games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Or just walk forward a teense until one of them goes after you; be aware that they take a few seconds before jumping down.

also what's your soul memory i have a guy around 200k that I could help you with

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Try eliminating one at a time then fleeing fog wall ahead

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The non-whip guys can be pretty easily backstabbed if you roll to the side.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just roll a bunch when the guy starts his combo then get behind him and whack him, doesn't matter if you stagger him or backstab him, just if you don't kill him then be aware of your stamina and don't leave yourself open to attacks. I.e. don't swing too many times and leave yourself with no stamina to roll away with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Or just walk forward a teense until one of them goes after you; be aware that they take a few seconds before jumping down.

also what's your soul memory i have a guy around 200k that I could help you with

About 177k SM right now. I definitely wouldn't say no to some help.

It's not a problem with getting outnumbered--I'm pretty good at luring them out one at a time--just actually killing the non-whip guys is kind of a crapshoot because I can't seem to get a handle on when it's safe to actually go in and try to hit them.

Plus the Chariot boss just absolutely wrecks my poo poo. I beat him on PS3 back in March and I can't really remember how I did it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My guy's name is Lancelot I'm gonna put it on the other side of the bridge shortcut.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
You can also just run past all that stuff and jump to the right at the end and they will fall off the bridge sometimes and you'll still get souls.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Were you Ar**orn or whatever, cause woo we killed him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Were you Ar**orn or whatever, cause woo we killed him.

Nope, he must've summoned you before I found your sign. But I also summoned someone who helped! So everything turned out okay.

Thanks, though!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

For the run up to the Chariot, just grab a bow and learn their aggro range. You can use the bow to pull them one at a time so long as you're careful and don't step past the invisible line. Hell, if your bow is sufficiently upgraded you can kill them all before they even reach you.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He already stated he already lures them out one at a time. I will grant you though that using a bow to hit them can be a pain sometimes, because they blend in very well with the environment.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah, tall goth dudes are a pain in the rear end, but do the bridge method if you've utterly given up. IIRC aren't they faster than you in NG+ or something?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gologle posted:

He already stated he already lures them out one at a time. I will grant you though that using a bow to hit them can be a pain sometimes, because they blend in very well with the environment.

No it isn't because you can just lock on to them once they're on the ground. Missing when they're playing king of the hill on their poles has zero consequences besides you wasting an arrow.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

SHISHKABOB posted:

try eliminating them one at a time

thanks, but hole

But seriously, that poo poo is still glitchy as gently caress and really dumb. Use a bow to ping one of them off the thing at a time, and it's slightly more manageable.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I dunno, they seem to have pretty set lines to me. The first guy jumps down basically right when you walk in, the second guy when you walk up to the spot where the ground starts to split, and the third guy when you walk past the little cliff thingy. The last guy it's like whatever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They are pretty annoying and it really honestly seems to me like they're tedious to fight for no reason other than "well we have to put SOMETHING on this one single road between the boss fog and bonfire".

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

I dunno, they seem to have pretty set lines to me. The first guy jumps down basically right when you walk in, the second guy when you walk up to the spot where the ground starts to split, and the third guy when you walk past the little cliff thingy. The last guy it's like whatever.

I'm guessing you've never done that path on NG+?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

I'm guessing you've never done that path on NG+?

Haha that was fun stuff. I wish there were more surprises like that in the game tbh.

Anyways what does it matter whether it's NG or NG+? The guy was talking about doing it in NG so...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

They are pretty annoying and it really honestly seems to me like they're tedious to fight for no reason other than "well we have to put SOMETHING on this one single road between the boss fog and bonfire".

...Because it would have been more terrible if there was actually just a bonfire right in front of the boss door so the game wouldn't pointlessly waste your time every time you lose.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree with you, that would've been worse. What would have been better than both those options would be actually being creative about the placement of the chariot area so that it wasn't just one straight/narrow path stuffed with enemies from the bonfire to it. Personally I think the reason it is where it is, is because they still had to keep it in Hunstman's Copse, but the "bosses that roam around the area" thing didn't work out and so they had to make an area to contain it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If we're being hypothetical, there should be a bonfire at the end so you don't have to make the several minute walk each time you die, but there should also be a shitton more buildings in the wastes to explore for items and stuff.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

I agree with you, that would've been worse. What would have been better than both those options would be actually being creative about the placement of the chariot area so that it wasn't just one straight/narrow path stuffed with enemies from the bonfire to it. Personally I think the reason it is where it is, is because they still had to keep it in Hunstman's Copse, but the "bosses that roam around the area" thing didn't work out and so they had to make an area to contain it.

I dunno man, I think if you're upset about the path to the undead purgatory in this game then like, what else do you think is "uncreative"?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I dunno man, I think if you're upset about the path to the undead purgatory in this game then like, what else do you think is "uncreative"?

Does it really matter? It's basically the only area I can even think of that is a) completely devoid of structures or items to pick up, b) a single straight path with no deviations, and c) filled with 10 of the same kind of enemy in a tight space where you have to aggro all of them. This has come up before in the thread, and I thought it was lovely then, and I still do now. It's just a badly designed area.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Does it really matter? It's basically the only area I can even think of that is a) completely devoid of structures or items to pick up, b) a single straight path with no deviations, and c) filled with 10 of the same kind of enemy in a tight space where you have to aggro all of them. This has come up before in the thread, and I thought it was lovely then, and I still do now. It's just a badly designed area.

Welllllllllllllll I mean all those things are gross exaggerations of what's actually there so I mean I think that you are wrong basically yeah oh well.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just kill the jerk ringing the bell and parry the Syans, they come in waves, not all at once. PS you can also run past all of them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Welllllllllllllll I mean all those things are gross exaggerations of what's actually there so I mean I think that you are wrong basically yeah oh well.

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but that won't change the fact that I'm never gonna go fight the chariot unless I have to because everything about it is annoying to me.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

CJacobs posted:

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong...

You are.

If you go straight from the bridge bonfire to the chariot boss you'll go through 3 different types of enemies (regular zombie hollow things, sickle dudes, and whip dudes) for a total of 10 or 11 enemies - all of which you can run past if you want.

The path there itself is a deviation from the main path through the copse, so that part of your complaint is straight up retarded. There are items to pick up as well (a whip before the whip enemies and the poo poo you jump to off the right side of the bridge before the boss fog). You can also use that bridge to drop down to the platform with the lockstone.

Basically everything in your a/b/c list above is 100% wrong. Fine work!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Also that path has a sublime bone dust on it so :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At least the invader in front of the fog gate looks cool, so that's one not totally useless thing about it.

Propaganda Hour posted:

True. I had forgotten about that.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Propaganda Hour posted:

I hate that jump though.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Zedd posted:

I hate that jump though.

The one to get the dull ember is worse.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The dull ember quick jump is cool to do and is actually surprisingly (relatively) easy to do. Just ride the wall!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zedd posted:

I hate that jump though.

The jump to it is pretty easy. It's the jump back that will kill you because the safe landing spot will roll you into a death space and your jump isn't floaty enough to cancel into a ground stab to stop your momentum.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The roll after a long jump has hosed me so many times. I wish you could manually roll in a different direction after a jump like in Dark Souls 1. I've been killed so many times by making the Dull Ember jump dead-on, and then rolling right down the stairs and into the lava. :negative:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If you plunge attack after one of those jumps, you can stop yourself from rolling off.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The walk to the chariot fight is difficult and frustrating, but if you've never stopped for a minute to admire the view from the bridge you're missing out. Look left.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

BCRock posted:

You are.

If you go straight from the bridge bonfire to the chariot boss you'll go through 3 different types of enemies (regular zombie hollow things, sickle dudes, and whip dudes) for a total of 10 or 11 enemies - all of which you can run past if you want.

The path there itself is a deviation from the main path through the copse, so that part of your complaint is straight up retarded. There are items to pick up as well (a whip before the whip enemies and the poo poo you jump to off the right side of the bridge before the boss fog). You can also use that bridge to drop down to the platform with the lockstone.

Basically everything in your a/b/c list above is 100% wrong. Fine work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7zFl22KP8A

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Disgusting armor wearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The roll after a long jump has hosed me so many times. I wish you could manually roll in a different direction after a jump like in Dark Souls 1. I've been killed so many times by making the Dull Ember jump dead-on, and then rolling right down the stairs and into the lava. :negative:

I loving hate the jump mechanics.

Sometimes, you roll after landing, sometimes you don't. Sometimes, you make a pathetic small jump (BABYJUMP), sometimes you don't. You never really know what's a safe distance to jump. And to top it off, the hitboxes are too floaty to accurately tell when you're going to fall off a platform. The only relatively safe way to jump is if your target is a) somewhat below you, b) not too far away and c) allows for some rolling distance/has a wall to stop you. And that is not always a given, as we can see with the jumping spots that consistently murder even experienced players.

Seriously - I wish the character's feet would align with platforms and slopes better, instead of hovering in empty air half the time! A consistent jump mechanic would be nice (or, hell, tie it to a stat and running distance, DONE). And for that matter: how about grabbing ledges? Every platformer worth anything allows you to grab ledges, so that even if you fall off poorly-defined slippery platforms, you can still grab on. Hell, I want to be able to climb up ledges, like you could in Demon's Souls (in totally random places only, but still). I'm not asking for Mario jump mechanics - just give me proper tools to navigate, instead of artifically increasing difficulty. And, yeah, if it's poor platform edges and wonky jump mechanics, it totally is artificial difficulty.

I am so angry at Dark Souls jumping. :mad: