Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
You guys really can't see how Georgia could have been conquered by muslims, had their royal house converted and then gotten involved with their claims in Russia? You guys must play boring CK2 games... It is too easy to convert your vassals just by asking, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

So, uh. :what:

Not pictured: Sweden getting torn to pieces.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Well, now I have a different problem. Inherent to the game itself. A few bad ideas lead me to try assassinating an adventurer within my realm, which turned the mood sour against me and having more than half my realm turn towards wanting freedom. Now, being an ironman game, I was going to roll with the punches and see if I couldn't grab a victory, or at least, make sure I could take over what I lost once more. Unfortunately the game threw a fit when a full third of the counties on the map mobilized at once, and suddenly everything just ground to a halt. I waited for a full minute, but nothing moved. Eventually I just had to shut down the game manually, meaning the game never autosaved the revolt. So now I'm stuck before the revolt breaks out, trying to figure out how to make it not happen. Taking out the guy in charge of the faction doesn't work, they just replace him. And I don't have the money to bribe every faction member. Do I just give up at this point?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Things get interesting if one of the major religions collapses. I conquered most Catholic countries and then a 30-year crusade broke out over Lollard Italy. I tried to intervene – turns out that if the pope is unlanded he just hangs around in Rome and his wars continue? Anyway, I couldn't stop Italy from losing, and this happened:

I had a similar thing:

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

How's that work? It stays with the old version or updates with a "light" version of the patch?

Is it an option under the game's properties menu?

Properties->Betas in Steam. At the moment patches 1.111 and 2.0.4 are available.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Are there any good maps of Europe in 769AD? I would like to get a feel for the political situation in the new bookmark, especially the Middle East and Eastern Europe.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Are there any good maps of Europe in 769AD? I would like to get a feel for the political situation in the new bookmark, especially the Middle East and Eastern Europe.

http://geacron.com/en/?v=m&lang=en&z=2&x=0&y=25&nd=-1&d=&di=769&tm=p&ct=0&ly=yyyyyyy&fi=-500&ff=1500&sp=2&e=0&rp=0&re=0&nv=2

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Really pumped for the Charlemagne release. Hopefully we'll see larger Kingdoms and Empires more frequently breaking apart/reforming.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I had a similar thing:

In certain conditions, the territory marked for a crusade is given to whoever contributed the most. Fairly often the most helpful force is a holy order.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It only counts independent contribution by a holy order in those cases, right? So ones hire as mercenaries should count towards whoever hired them, rather than the order itself?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Ratpick posted:

Also, I betrothed one of my daughters to an Aquitanian prince matrilinearly and then stabbed all of his older siblings. Now he's first in line to the throne and all of his kids will be of my dynasty. I also noticed that the Holy Roman Empire has formed, and another one of my daughters is matrilinearly bethroed to the future King of Bavaria. So, if I play this right I might be able to breed a Claim to the Holy Roman Empire into my bloodline and become the Holy Roman Emperor. If I do manage this I'll probably call it the Holy Norman Empire.

Isn't there a chance that once your daughter and that prince are eligible for marriage, he won't accept the matrilineal bethrothing (is that a word?) anymore? Because he's now the heir and wants kids to be of his dynasty?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It only counts independent contribution by a holy order in those cases, right? So ones hire as mercenaries should count towards whoever hired them, rather than the order itself?

Yes, unless they changed it since TOG.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Dapper Dan posted:

Maybe a nation or culture or religion that honors the noble spirit of the Luchador. That could be because I'm on a big Guacamelee kick.

Already got you covered:

The Sagrado Corazon faith (already present along the Rio Grande) follows the Rajas of India route, with traits for various adherents of specific cults within the faith.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

Sweet Jesus look at the size of that Abbasid blob. I wonder how that will interact with the new anti-empire mechanics.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I had a similar thing:

I wonder how the Serbian nationalists would view the Kingdom of Serbia, proud that it's an independent kingdom or horrified that it's ruled by Muslims?

Automated Posting posted:

Sweet Jesus look at the size of that Abbasid blob. I wonder how that will interact with the new anti-empire mechanics.

Look at that screenshot from the Charlemagne dev diary:

It's still huge but some of the more distant parts of the empire are independent kingdoms. Which is the right decision in my opinion, since the Abbasid Empire was much less centralized than the Byzantine Empire for example.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Now I know where the Germans in 1940 got their French partition plan from.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I wonder how the Serbian nationalists would view the Kingdom of Serbia, proud that it's an independent kingdom or horrified that it's ruled by Muslims?

Look at that screenshot from the Charlemagne dev diary:

It's still huge but some of the more distant parts of the empire are independent kingdoms. Which is the right decision in my opinion, since the Abbasid Empire was much less centralized than the Byzantine Empire for example.

Who would 'Africa' be in that screenshot?

If it's Muslim shouldn't it default to the Dynasty name?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Last Emperor posted:

It's actually culture that decides the realm name.

Whoever holds Africa isn't Berber or Bedouin.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You know it just occurred to me that they're probably rebalancing retinues to make the demense limit increase from high centralization more desirable. With the way the game currently works, by the time you get into the upper tech levels you've probably already got a retinue so huge you barely even call up your demense troops at all, especially if you've got an empire where you can just call up your vassal levies instead. If retinues end up being less overpowering, you might actually want more personal holdings. Although I guess the thing about retinues is less about numbers and more about composition, so they'll probably still end up being way better than personal levies anyway.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Last Emperor posted:

It could be held by a ruler that is the same dynasty as an older larger realm.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Where can I find a list of changes for the new patch/dlc?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Elendil004 posted:

Where can I find a list of changes for the new patch/dlc?

Page 716

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Back To 99 posted:

You guys really can't see how Georgia could have been conquered by muslims, had their royal house converted and then gotten involved with their claims in Russia? You guys must play boring CK2 games... It is too easy to convert your vassals just by asking, though.

Call it "asking" if you want, but the question is phrased along the lines of, "So, would you prefer to become a good faithful Catholic, or to have your head chopped off?"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just noticed this re-reading the patch notes:

quote:

- Buying indulgence for your sins from the Pope now has a better opinion and piety effect than before, but can only be done once per lifetime.

Since popes are usually old and don't reign more than a decade or so each, this actually seems to make the indulgence an even worse deal than it was before (assuming the indulgence relations bonus continues to apply only to the pope at the time you bought it, not to any successors.). But I guess if you really need the bonus...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just noticed this re-reading the patch notes:

Since popes are usually old and don't reign more than a decade or so each, this actually seems to make the indulgence an even worse deal than it was before (assuming the indulgence relations bonus continues to apply only to the pope at the time you bought it, not to any successors.). But I guess if you really need the bonus...

It's also a way to get piety, which can be something of a bottleneck if you live away from easy holy war targets and have several kingdoms to found.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Ratpick posted:

Just looked at his dynasty. He's a Bagrationi, i.e. the ruling dynasty of Georgia. How the gently caress?

I went ahead and started as Haesteinn again to try becoming a vassal of West Francia. The moment after I'd taken Britanny in a planned invasion I converted to Christianity via concubine (giving me enough piety to fulfill the Become Paragon of Virtue ambition) and swore myself to the King of West Francia. My intention for now is to plot my way to more territory in West Francia while waiting for the Norman culture flip event so that later along the line I can launch an alternate history Norman invasion into England.

Also, I betrothed one of my daughters to an Aquitanian prince matrilinearly and then stabbed all of his older siblings. Now he's first in line to the throne and all of his kids will be of my dynasty. I also noticed that the Holy Roman Empire has formed, and another one of my daughters is matrilinearly bethroed to the future King of Bavaria. So, if I play this right I might be able to breed a Claim to the Holy Roman Empire into my bloodline and become the Holy Roman Emperor. If I do manage this I'll probably call it the Holy Norman Empire.

e: Okay, now I'm confused. I just read somewhere that the Norse-Norman culture flip event can only fire if you're an independent ruler of the Norse culture, and it won't happen if you're a vassal of a non-Norse ruler, which is dumb because the Norman culture historically emerged from Norse people who were vassals of the King of France. I guess it's time to stab my way to the French throne and see all of France become Norman.

no need to swear fealty imo.
1. County conquest for 1 or 2 of the Breton counties (get a duchy so you get more event troops from prepared invasion (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this))
2. Start preparing an invasion for a medium-sized kingdom (a decent choice is Asturias/a kingdom of the Ummayads imo, but there are countless possibilities). While free event troops are streaming into your capital loot Rome/Venice/Amalfi a couple of times so you have enough money to get mercs if you need them.
3. After winning the prepared invasion you should be strong enough to win against most AI attackers, esp. if you get a decent alliance (a formed Denmark is good)

After this you can focus on conquering enough holy places to reform the faith. (Don't convert to Catholic, wtf)

Antwan3K fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 13, 2014

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Torrannor posted:

It's also a way to get piety, which can be something of a bottleneck if you live away from easy holy war targets and have several kingdoms to found.

The best money-to-piety deal is donating money to the holy orders at 1:1. This usually only applies to Catholics though, as they're the only ones whose holy orders get founded automatically without some serious intervention by the player. Maybe the Hashashin too, but I haven't spent much time as a Shia.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

The best money-to-piety deal is donating money to the holy orders at 1:1. This usually only applies to Catholics though, as they're the only ones whose holy orders get founded automatically without some serious intervention by the player. Maybe the Hashashin too, but I haven't spent much time as a Shia.

This works for the Jomsvikings, too (and you also got a +10 temple opinion as well.) Of course that usually requires player intervention, but if you are playing as the Norse you are already doing your part :black101:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Charlemagne stream.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ninjahedgehog posted:

Also applies to muslims (and is basically required, since you need lots opf piety as a muslim ruler.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Oh, and when you go to get your female ruler/heir married, make drat sure you remember to click the Matrilineal box.

In elective (as in evilmiera's case) this isn't as bad a mistake as long as you have landed dynasty members.

I routinely nominate female heirs in elective, the opinion penalty isn't so bad and I don't think I've ever been hit with a weak claim CB. It helps to have high diplomacy of course.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
'Early Clothing' is one of the DLCs coming alongside Charlemagne tomorrow, apparently.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

So I guess with Charlemagne coming out, I'll update my Gavelkind for All mod, which makes every country only have Gavelkind as an option. I'll change it to allow both types of Gavelkind, and depending upon how many history files I have to update, might have an option for Elective Gavelkind only.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Retinues have an upkeep! This is a major (and probably necessary) nerf to them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sky Shadowing posted:

'Early Clothing' is one of the DLCs coming alongside Charlemagne tomorrow, apparently.

gently caress everyone with money, I just got RoI last week.

e: Viceroys aren't feudal vassals according to the stream, so presumably they're their own class. Kind of obvious when you think about it.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 13, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Not So Fast posted:

Retinues have an upkeep! This is a major (and probably necessary) nerf to them.

I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't have one to begin with. Did they give an indication of how much it would cost, relatively speaking?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Given how long it takes retinues to fill up and therefore how you can't easily call them up for a war, I find it hard to imagine the upkeep cost of retinues won't be either "low enough that everyone will still maintain standing retinues anyway" or "high enough that retinues may as well not be in the game anymore." But we'll see.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is there any way to convert Catholic holy order leaders to a Catholic heresy? Or are they hard-coded to be only Catholic, like the pope? I've got several holy order vassals who now hate me over this Cathar thing.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
A few interesting things:

1. Tribes are designed to be fast growing but also very easy to implode.
2. Creating new Kingdoms doesn't give you de jure lands yet, but it will in a future patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is there any way to convert Catholic holy order leaders to a Catholic heresy? Or are they hard-coded to be only Catholic, like the pope? I've got several holy order vassals who now hate me over this Cathar thing.

I'm pretty sure all holy orders jump over to your heresy as long as more provinces follow your heresy than Catholicism.

• Locked thread