Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
It's nice to get notification when someone's about to touch a system that affects my job, but when it becomes a constant barrage of e-mail notices it can get annoying.

I'm assuming that project management products exist that lay out a nice calendar or something where you can read about upcoming changes in a convenient format, but have never had the good fortune to work for a company that uses them. I always end up jury-rigging a shared calendar with upcoming changes I'm applying and remind people to check it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

capitalpunctuation posted:

It's nice to get notification when someone's about to touch a system that affects my job

This is what Change Management is for. :viggo:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Bob Morales posted:

Click this and it prints!

Runs to the printer.

See it printed! Same thing as on the screen, now it's on paper!
I want to be that excited about printing. :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I tend to overshare when people ask "what happened?" or question my resolution to things. If you make the answer convoluted enough people ask less questions.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Andy Dwyer is their printer tech.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I've had a support ticket open with cyberlink for a week or two because powerDVD refuses to play some of my blurays.

The ticket went back and forth a while with very generic replies by support people who didn't bother reading the text, but then yesterday they finally told me they may have fixed the problem and I should run the autoupdater to install the update. All the updater does is open a URL which 404s, which I added to the ticket. Their solution? "I would suggesrt you to try to update and if you face any isssue, please get back to us."

Yes of course I'll run the updater to see if that fixes my problem with the updater being broken.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Actually, if he were just writing me an email it wouldn't be too bad. Dude literally walks into the office and then spends 20 minutes explaining what he has to do while I'm trying to work.

(Attempt to) Hug him every time he comes in your office.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Ika posted:

I've had a support ticket open with cyberlink for a week or two because powerDVD refuses to play some of my blurays.

The ticket went back and forth a while with very generic replies by support people who didn't bother reading the text, but then yesterday they finally told me they may have fixed the problem and I should run the autoupdater to install the update. All the updater does is open a URL which 404s, which I added to the ticket. Their solution? "I would suggesrt you to try to update and if you face any isssue, please get back to us."

Yes of course I'll run the updater to see if that fixes my problem with the updater being broken.

They probably mean manually downloading the update from their site and then manually installing it. From here.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Today I found our SAP implimentation will allow you to print to any printer in our 50k+ employee, multi-national company. I was almost that excited when my print job came out of the right printer first second time.

I've contemplated just printing my phone number and seeing where jobs go.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

jammyozzy posted:

Today I found our SAP implimentation will allow you to print to any printer in our 50k+ employee, multi-national company. I was almost that excited when my print job came out of the right printer first second time.

Back in the day I had a job where I supported SAP and UNIX printing in general for a very large company. 50 plus servers printing to who knows how many printers. Report servers running jobs that would print to multiple printers all around the country, and Lord help you if one was missed.

We called ourselves Spool Services and would carry around yo-yo's cause they looked like spools. We worked hard, hazed our tier 1's (to get certified to send cases to us they had to beat me at Starcraft), and had fun. I was young and tech boom was in full swing. I miss the money, the fun and my liver.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

TWBalls posted:

They probably mean manually downloading the update from their site and then manually installing it. From here.

I checked that, that page doesn't show a new update for my version. They also explicitly told me to launch the updater from the client.

Also the 404 I am getting is for the AACS key autoupdater. So eventually whenever they fix it their aacs key DB should be here.

Ika fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 10, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

internet jerk posted:

Andy Dwyer is their printer tech.

He certainly good with computers!
http://youtu.be/LinpRhB4aWU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

So I ordered my first Lenovo since Dell removed the ability to customize Optiplexes. It comes with Pokki, a start menu replacement, because Lenovo struck a deal with them or some poo poo. I don't have an 8.1 master image and I'd like to stick to 8.1 to manage 2012 R2 servers, so I just uninstalled all the bullshit that comes preinstalled.

Except Pokki comes back when a new user logs in. Uninstall it through control panel, it disappears from the list, but log in as another user and boom it's back. That's loving malware you ignorant fucksticks. What the gently caress is this horseshit doing on a business computer. gently caress this pisses me off.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ika posted:

"So what you're saying is that you want me to stop using your software and instead rip all my BluRays to my hard drive, bypassing the copy protection that so far has added nothing positive and instead only punishes me for being a paying, law-abiding customer? Gotcha."

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Che Delilas posted:

"So what you're saying is that you want me to stop using your software and instead rip all my BluRays to my hard drive, bypassing the copy protection that so far has added nothing positive and instead only punishes me for being a paying, law-abiding customer? Gotcha."

Basically this * 1000.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Erwin posted:

Except Pokki comes back when a new user logs in. Uninstall it through control panel, it disappears from the list, but log in as another user and boom it's back. That's loving malware you ignorant fucksticks. What the gently caress is this horseshit doing on a business computer. gently caress this pisses me off.
From what I remember it installs into the user profile, so my guess is they snuck it into the default profile folder somehow.

There's a cleanup tool, the existence of which says a lot in itself.

I tried pokki voluntarily a couple of years ago and it was malware-like then too.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, It's in the default and public profiles. Obviously the answer is to do a clean install of Windows 8.1, but the fact that business computers ship with this poo poo pisses me off.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Ika posted:

I checked that, that page doesn't show a new update for my version. They also explicitly told me to launch the updater from the client.

Also the 404 I am getting is for the AACS key autoupdater. So eventually whenever they fix it their aacs key DB should be here.

Ah, okay. Yeah, that definitely sucks. This is why I said 'gently caress it' and bought AnyDVD HD. I've never had any issues ripping/playing DVD or BD since. Plus, I like to Rip them to hard drive anyway. This way I don't have to wait for all of the trailers & FBI warnings about piracy before I can finally watch a movie I legit paid for.

I guess you could always download and install AnyDVD HD for the free 30 day trial while you wait for Cyberlink to get their poo poo together.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

TWBalls posted:

Ah, okay. Yeah, that definitely sucks. This is why I said 'gently caress it' and bought AnyDVD HD. I've never had any issues ripping/playing DVD or BD since. Plus, I like to Rip them to hard drive anyway. This way I don't have to wait for all of the trailers & FBI warnings about piracy before I can finally watch a movie I legit paid for.

I guess you could always download and install AnyDVD HD for the free 30 day trial while you wait for Cyberlink to get their poo poo together.

I've got dvdfab on a dedicated VHD since I don't trust the software at all to copy the discs that don't work to iso. I just had to vent since I've been going back and forth with the support on this for something like a week, and half the answers I am given are copy pasted form replies which ignore the contents of my updates, and the last one telling me to try updating when I reported updating not working just hit the limit.

It turned out powerDVD not only doesn't like some of my discs (not region issues, just DRM updates), but it also doesn't work with the intel HD graphics, so I opened up a ticket. If they do end up fixing the issues I'll stop complaining but right now it seems like they don't even read the tickets before copy pasting a random FAQ answer and DRM just is a major pain. If I had downloaded the movies I wouldn't need to jump through all these hoops just to put them on a 2014 model TV using a PC built from parts from 2014, which is utterly ridiculous.

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 10, 2014

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Isn't Cyberlink one of those where the older versions of disc player software straight up no longer work when a newer version is released? My Sony Blu-Ray drive hasn't worked for years, and I'm not interested in forking over more cash to play movies when I have a PS3 downstairs.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Super Slash posted:

Isn't Cyberlink one of those where the older versions of disc player software straight up no longer work when a newer version is released? My Sony Blu-Ray drive hasn't worked for years, and I'm not interested in forking over more cash to play movies when I have a PS3 downstairs.

I'm not sure if this has changed recently, but I understood this to be the case for pretty much all non-PS3 BluRay playback solutions. It's not that the player software companies like Cyberlink break their old software deliberately, it's that the movie industry keeps adding new copy protection (or changing the keys or something, I don't know how the underlying technology works), and older players/software can't recognize it. I assume that Sony keeps the PS3 up-to-date with firmware updates on a regular basis, but nobody else does.

I may be way off, I'm not terribly familiar with it (and I may or may not rip all my legally owned BluRays to my multiple terabytes of storage that my media pc can access and tell the copy protection and all the nag screens and unskippable previews and menus to go gently caress themselves with a rusty spatula).

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Super Slash posted:

I may be completely off, but it almost seems like their player software has a whitelist of devices to support. Why else would it require an update to support newer CPUs intel has released.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

I'm not sure if this has changed recently, but I understood this to be the case for pretty much all non-PS3 BluRay playback solutions. It's not that the player software companies like Cyberlink break their old software deliberately, it's that the movie industry keeps adding new copy protection (or changing the keys or something, I don't know how the underlying technology works), and older players/software can't recognize it. I assume that Sony keeps the PS3 up-to-date with firmware updates on a regular basis, but nobody else does.

I may be way off, I'm not terribly familiar with it (and I may or may not rip all my legally owned BluRays to my multiple terabytes of storage that my media pc can access and tell the copy protection and all the nag screens and unskippable previews and menus to go gently caress themselves with a rusty spatula).

A lot of the really early ones required you to use a USB flash drive. You had to download the firmware from the support site and place it in the root level of the drive. My TV from the same era did firmware updates the same way.

Now, almost every BluRay player (at least that I've seen in stores) has native support for wired networks at the very least with wireless adapters built in becoming more common.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I, uhm...

:raise:

I think I might need to turn down log verbosity a little. :shobon:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jammyozzy posted:

I, uhm...

:raise:

I think I might need to turn down log verbosity a little. :shobon:

And/or use log rotation. Sometimes you need that verbosity, you just generally don't need months/years worth.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

wolrah posted:

And/or use log rotation. Sometimes you need that verbosity, you just generally don't need months/years worth.

That was 4 hours worth, from restarting the service and checking the log output it looked like half of China was trying to connect to it at once. :rolleyes:

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

I worked on a solution like that over a decade ago. Ours would print to any output device: printer, fax, web, pager, email. When it worked, it was loving fantastic. It could burst based on certain parameters. For example, big rear end couple thousand page doc could send specific sections/pages to specific people depending on area (Asia-Pac, Europe, etc) to whatever they had configured (Yes, please send those 300 pages to my pager!). I loved working on it, I loved the idea of it.

Then HP bought us.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

evobatman posted:

You should have a stack of regular commodity hardware such as RAM sticks, WLAN cards and harddrives sitting around for cases like this, so that resolution time is <2 minutes + reimaging. At least use a vendor that gives you next business day on-site service.

Wibla posted:

Step 1: Realize that asus laptops are consumer oriented machines not suited for professional use.
Step 2: Buy something that is, and offers NBD onsite service.

Done.

Honestly, if I had any say we would be doing all of these things. However, my company likes to burn through money it doesn't have on anything other than IT. I'm currently on week 2 of waiting for approval to spend $500 to upgrade software so that I can move it from a Windows XP system to something that was made in the last 5 years. This upgrade would also make it easier for the end users to work with the software but because it's $500 they have to think about it.

That said, it wasn't the time frame that I care about. It was that I had to pry every bit of information out of them. If they had sent me an e-mail when they got the laptop saying it was there, sent another one when it was done and a final one with the tracking number this wouldn't have been an issue. However, when you tell me twice that you don't have the laptop I know you have, then you tell me its shipped when instead you sit on it for a week before actually shipping it, I'm going to be really annoyed.

A c E fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 12, 2014

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Here in medical IT land we have to explain buying screwdrivers and things in the hundred dollar range, anything costing thousands is never questioned.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

Here in medical IT land we have to explain buying screwdrivers and things in the hundred dollar range, anything costing thousands is never questioned.
So you have more thousand dollar screwdrivers than hundred dollar ones?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'll resell you some screwdrivers if you like.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SEKCobra posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law_of_triviality

quote:

The first is the signing of a £10 million contract to build a reactor, the second a proposal to build a £350 bicycle shed for the clerical staff, and the third proposes £21 a year to supply refreshments for the Joint Welfare Committee.

The £10 million number is too big and too technical, and it passes in two and a half minutes.

The bicycle shed is a subject understood by the board, and the amount within their life experience, so committee member Mr. Softleigh says that an aluminium roof is too expensive and they should use asbestos. Mr. Holdfast wants galvanized iron. Mr. Daring questions the need for the shed at all. Mr. Holdfast disagrees.

Parkinson then writes: "The debate is fairly launched. A sum of £350 is well within everybody's comprehension. Everyone can visualize a bicycle shed. Discussion goes on, therefore, for forty-five minutes, with the possible result of saving some £50. Members at length sit back with a feeling of accomplishment."

Parkinson then described the third agenda item, writing: "There may be members of the committee who might fail to distinguish between asbestos and galvanized iron, but every man there knows about coffee – what it is, how it should be made, where it should be bought – and whether indeed it should be bought at all. This item on the agenda will occupy the members for an hour and a quarter, and they will end by asking the Secretary to procure further information, leaving the matter to be decided at the next meeting."

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Erwin posted:

So I ordered my first Lenovo since Dell removed the ability to customize Optiplexes. It comes with Pokki, a start menu replacement, because Lenovo struck a deal with them or some poo poo. I don't have an 8.1 master image and I'd like to stick to 8.1 to manage 2012 R2 servers, so I just uninstalled all the bullshit that comes preinstalled.

Everybody, look at this guy who is using the preinstalled image on his business laptop instead of reinstalling it.

Also, without having checked it myself, I find it dubious that Dell has "removed the ability to customize Optiplexes".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

: Hey these two master data items are hosed up this is affecting production.

:smug:: Nah they're fine you probably looked them up wrong.

*checks item change log because key user superpowers allow it*

quote:

LAST CHANGE FIVE loving SECONDS AGO BY USER :smug:

*posts about it on internet "comedy" web site Something Awful's user forums*

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Did you call him out on it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Did you call him out on it?

It's a recurring thing with him. I can't be arsed anymore :smith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

evobatman posted:

Also, without having checked it myself, I find it dubious that Dell has "removed the ability to customize Optiplexes".

They haven't.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: Citrix receiver. It's so secure because "Citrix Connection Manager has stopped working" is such a common error message. If no one can access your Important Business Application, then Bad People can't either!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Inspector_666 posted:

They haven't.

I looked on bog standard dell.com, and I couldn't configure anything, but I can customize to hearts content on my Premier site. So the moral of the story is don't order from dell.com like a plebian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

FISHMANPET posted:

I looked on bog standard dell.com, and I couldn't configure anything, but I can customize to hearts content on my Premier site. So the moral of the story is don't order from dell.com like a plebian.

To have known about this mere days ago...