Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Finally a new family game.

Wait weren't you playing as a woman in a business suit in the earlier trailers?

EDIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzLaWbLZl24

Wait in 2010 there were three playable folks that are again completely different? Weird thing to keep changing up.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Devil's Third has gone through a whole bunch of weird revisions. The original concept was that it was going to be an online-only multiplayer action game. At this point it's been like three or four different games with the same title. Part of that was that it got caught in the THQ explosion but it also just seems to have had a lot of development problems.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I wish this game was still about the dude with the hawaiian shirt

I'm off da leash

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nothing Itagaki ever said about the game seemed to match up to any of the footage THQ released so I really have no idea what the game was supposed to be before Nintendo got involved. Like, Itagaki would talk about it as if it was a hardcore military sim but then you'd watch the footage and all the characters were doing ridiculous Ryu Hayabusa poo poo at all times.

The footage from E3/Treehouse does look interesting in its own way but I have no idea who that game is supposed to appeal to.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I've never seen this footage of Devil's Third before but it looks way better than the dredge they showed at E3 this year.

What the hell happened? :cripes:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I mean in this incarnation at least, this was going to be like the "real" Ninja Gaiden 3 but with guns also and a lot of multiplayer modes so I was pretty excited. Then a couple of new trailers came out in 2012 which had two different playable characters from these and looked even better but then THQ went bankrupt and it dropped off the map for a while.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Nintendo producer told gave them the freedom to do exactly what they wanted and encouraged them to be more Japanese, apparently.

It's especially weird because the new incarnation of the game looks like one of those ridiculous western-made Xbox exclusives from 2004 or something. I can't think of another Nintendo-published game like it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's especially weird because the new incarnation of the game looks like one of those ridiculous western-made Xbox exclusives from 2004 or something. I can't think of another Nintendo-published game like it.

This newest iteration especially makes me think of Wet. Still interested to see it finally get released as something at least. This is from the dude who talked about how Pikmin was awesome but he could do so much better and gave us...Tokobot. I think this is the first thing since that where he basically has carte blanche to do whatever. Team Ninja after a few embarrassments redeemed themselves with DoA5/Ultimate so it will be interesting to see if Itagaki himself can do the same.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Like, Itagaki would talk about it as if it was a hardcore military sim but then you'd watch the footage and all the characters were doing ridiculous Ryu Hayabusa poo poo at all times.

Itagaki probably just wanted to make "Ninja Gaiden, but this time the lead character is a Gunhaver" sound fancier than it really was.

I think Devil's Third, much like Bayonetta 2, reflects Nintendo's approach at selling games to the "hardcore"/"mature"/"14 year old male" market. "We can't develop these games for the life of us, but we sure as hell can throw some money at them and hope it sticks." Bayonetta 2 feels more substantial, though, like Nintendo actually made an investment in the project to make it work. Devil's Third is almost certainly a THQ fire sale bargain, something they picked up 80-90% complete and said "With a little sanding, new coat of varnish...yeah! We can salvage this."

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Devil's Third looks like a lovely PS2 game and I think that's cool.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I was getting fed up with awful quiz missions in Hyrule Warriors so I finally played another game on my Wii U-- Tropical Freeze.

I picked it up back during the Smash Sale but only just started playing it today. It's really pretty.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kaubocks posted:

I was getting fed up with awful quiz missions in Hyrule Warriors so I finally played another game on my Wii U-- Tropical Freeze.

I picked it up back during the Smash Sale but only just started playing it today. It's really pretty.

The quizzes can be annoying ,but the best method I found was using the boomerang on the wrong answer. When they get hit, they stun for about twenty seconds, which is enough time to attack the correct answer and get them far away so the other person can't interfere when they wake up.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JordanKai posted:

I've never seen this footage of Devil's Third before but it looks way better than the dredge they showed at E3 this year.

What the hell happened? :cripes:

Itagaki is a washed up hack whose last good game will be Dragon Sword.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Devil's Third looks like someone intentionally made a game based off a checklist of third person shooter masculine power fantasy tropes.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jsor posted:

Devil's Third looks like someone intentionally made a game based off a checklist of third person shooter masculine power fantasy tropes.

That's the weird thing - the main character didn't look like that until Nintendo got involved, for example. Whenever Nintendo picks up a game like this people complain that it's gonna get watered down or casualised or whatever but the truth is that Nintendo lets these developers indulge themselves to the fullest, for better or for worse.

Pomp posted:

Itagaki is a washed up hack whose last good game will be Dragon Sword.

Itagaki is a visionary and Devil's Third will set the standard for action/shooting/romance games from now until the new willennium.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm off da leash

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Has there ever been a well-known developer - like a singular person, a household name - that has consistently turned out hit after hit after hit and has never drawn substantial ire?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

matrix ripoff posted:

Has there ever been a well-known developer - like a singular person, a household name - that has consistently turned out hit after hit after hit and has never drawn substantial ire?

Platinum

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

platinum makes great games

platinum does not make hits

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you count "famous in Japan" devs then Yuji Hori, I guess? He hasn't really done anything new in a long time, though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

matrix ripoff posted:

Miyamoto I guess. Probably the most poo poo he catches is from super-fans who get overly zealous.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Miyamoto I guess. Probably the most poo poo he catches is from super-fans who get overly zealous.

Miyamoto ruined Sticker Star.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I'm off da leash
Maybe there's a Hawaiian shirt tattoo skin.

...actually one of the enemies(?) in one of the trailers looks like he kinda has that already.

Jsor posted:

Including throwing fruit into a giant blender and chicken gathering!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzTcXFLmfqo

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Joystiq gave Bayonetta 2 5/5 stars saying "If you bought the Wii U months ago explicitly in anticipation of Bayonetta 2, congratulations, your decision has paid off in spades."

I haven't seen a bad review for it yet.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Since I haven't had a modern console since online shopping got huge, what's the best way to buy physical games now? I want to play Bayonetta 2 as soon as is humanly possible (not eShop tho), if I buy from Amazon will it get to me on release date, or is that just the day it ships? Is buying in-store the way to go for fastest access?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Tatsuta Age posted:

Since I haven't had a modern console since online shopping got huge, what's the best way to buy physical games now? I want to play Bayonetta 2 as soon as is humanly possible (not eShop tho), if I buy from Amazon will it get to me on release date, or is that just the day it ships? Is buying in-store the way to go for fastest access?

Walmart at midnight.

Amazon will say they offer release day shipping if an item is available for it, I think. They got my PS4 to me launch day.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fremry posted:

Joystiq gave Bayonetta 2 5/5 stars saying "If you bought the Wii U months ago explicitly in anticipation of Bayonetta 2, congratulations, your decision has paid off in spades."

I haven't seen a bad review for it yet.

Polygon gave it a 7.5, which is the lowest score and an outlier, I think the next lowest score from a major outlet is a nine.

Edit: Reading the review the Polygon guy was really really mad at the sexism and fan service in the game. I don't really get the critique, it seems super camp to me. Of course its sexist as hell, literally everything in the game looks to be taken to the most extreme degree possible. You don't have to stop and roll your eyes and be taken out of the game every time something ridiculous happens.

greatn fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 13, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
All of those reviewers probably played it on super easy mode or whatever. Who cares.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Polygon's review seemed to mark it down for the whole stripper thing (please don't :can: no-one cares how objectifying you think it is or how you think it totally doesn't matter) so if that doesn't bother you, and if you enjoyed the first one it probably didn't, then it's in line with the other reviews.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Soul Glo posted:

Walmart at midnight.

Amazon will say they offer release day shipping if an item is available for it, I think. They got my PS4 to me launch day.

Gotcha. Since it's a Friday and I'll be working, I went the Amazon route. They say they'll have it at my door on release day, so fingers crossed.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
That Polygon review doesn't seem willing to even attempt to understand the meaning of sexuality in Bayonetta. If games are art and we should hold them to a high cultural standard as a result, then maybe a review should actually, you know, analyze that game as a piece of art, as well. "I won't even guess why [Bayo 2 is oversexualized]" is a cop out, in my opinion.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

I wouldn't say it played better, but I'd be willing to say that Crash Bandicoot at least looked a little better than Mario 64.

There's a rad Making Of series of articles about Crash that relates an anecdote about two of the leads of the Crash team reacting to Mario 64 at E3 whatever; one of them freaks out because the gameplay is so ground breaking and obviously better in Mario, while the other is like, well I wasn't impressed, our game had much better textures.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I'm off da leash

The epic japanese nu-metal drummer is cool as hell.
I trust oatmeal cookie face man to turn out something funny

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Just realized that the Wii U now has what might be the best original (not a remake) third-party game of this console generation. Which is crazy because Nintendo already dominates the first-party scene.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Shelf Adventure posted:

Polygon's review seemed to mark it down for the whole stripper thing (please don't :can: no-one cares how objectifying you think it is or how you think it totally doesn't matter) so if that doesn't bother you, and if you enjoyed the first one it probably didn't, then it's in line with the other reviews.
I think this image sums it up quite nicely:

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The DKC games are coming back baby :toot:

Europe only atm but NOA will probably get them soon.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

PrBacterio posted:

I think this image sums it up quite nicely:

Eh, it's a pretty legitimate complaint to dislike the aesthetic and a big part of that being the over-the-top sexual nature. Like I said before, if it doesn't bother you go hogwild.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Nickoten posted:

That Polygon review doesn't seem willing to even attempt to understand the meaning of sexuality in Bayonetta. If games are art and we should hold them to a high cultural standard as a result, then maybe a review should actually, you know, analyze that game as a piece of art, as well. "I won't even guess why [Bayo 2 is oversexualized]" is a cop out, in my opinion.

Bayonetta 2 is A Good Game but holy gently caress dude, sex in video games is literally never more than eye candy and it's perfectly fine to criticize that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I mean, I'm not going to buy Bayo 2 because of the oversexualization. It just makes me feel awkward. Maybe it's because I live in a house with non-gamers. Even the anime boobs in Hyrule Warriors kinda wigged me out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
oh my god just buy the game if you think you'll have fun with it, just play it in a dark room away from others if you feel you'll be embarrassed by it.

e: I will be playing it in a dark room by myself.

e2: with my pants on

• Locked thread