Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
What would happen if they put JtMS in the Blue Commander 2014 deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

A lot of people would buy that deck, probably

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Jace wasn't 75 bucks when it was in standard.

It absolutely was. I remember it being so, and just checked on MTG Goldfish, where if you expand the graph as far back as it can go you can see Jace sitting at $100 when cawblade was at its height.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, Jace was, in fact, that high while he was in standard. I don't think any cards from khans can reach that point though, Jace's price was as driven by eternal demand that just doesn't exist for Sorin, etc.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

frameset posted:

It absolutely was. I remember it being so, and just checked on MTG Goldfish, where if you expand the graph as far back as it can go you can see Jace sitting at $100 when cawblade was at its height.

I remember buying them for 50-60 at the height. It could've been 75+ at like SCG or CFB though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mcmagic posted:

There are no 30 dollar non-mythic rares and no 75 dollar cards in Standard.

Mutavault was 100% over $30 for a time in Standard.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mcmagic posted:

I remember buying them for 50-60 at the height. It could've been 75+ at like SCG or CFB though.

That graph probably shows the Mid price so you may have bought yours from a Low seller.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Sorin and Siege Rhino aren't going to be multiformat all-stars in the way that Snapcaster and JTMS are, because they cost 4 and aren't blue.

They'll probably see some eternal play but something with as specific of a mana cost as Siege Rhino ain't going to find enough homes to spike. Solemn Visitor has to compete with Lord of Innistrad for the 4 drop Sorin occasionally played in Stoneblade decks slot.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
You wanna hear some stupid poo poo regarding Rhino? I watched on camera at WA States (Shotgun Lotus did the coverage) where there was a 4c Esper control. The splash? Rhino.

Esper Rhino is what they called it.

WHAT

And it was at like 4-1-1 or 5-0-1 or something crazy when I was watching.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

En Fuego posted:

You wanna hear some stupid poo poo regarding Rhino? I watched on camera at WA States (Shotgun Lotus did the coverage) where there was a 4c Esper control. The splash? Rhino.

WHAT

The life gain seems pretty relevant for control decks post-rev.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

En Fuego posted:

Esper Rhino

:allears:

That name is fantastic, all I'm thinking about is psychic rhinos now.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 13, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

En Fuego posted:

WHAT

Junk Reanimator 2: Electric Boogaloo

fake edit: wizards please give us a functional Resto Angel reprint

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AgentSythe posted:

A friend of mine ran a B/G Reanimator deck at a Starcity IQ my stores went to two weeks ago.

He blew his opponent out with a turn 6 "Satyr Wayfinder, pitching Ashen Rider, 2 land, take third land. End of your turn Rescue from the Underworld Satyr Wayfinder, targeting Ashen Rider."

Next turn he gets back both, pitches ANOTHER Ashen Rider with Wayfinder and plays the other Rescue at the end of his opponent's turn. "What, you weren't expecting Ashen Rider in my Green Black Deck?"

He didn't tell anybody he added those.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 13, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AgentSythe posted:

They did. It's called Quickling. And it's a fixed version.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

A friend of mine ran a B/G Reanimator deck at a Starcity IQ my stores went to two weeks ago.

He blew his opponent out with a turn 6 "Satyr Wayfinder, pitching Ashen Rider, 2 land, take third land. End of your turn Rescue from the Underworld Satyr Wayfinder, targeting Ashen Rider."

Next turn he gets back both, pitches ANOTHER Ashen Rider with Wayfinder and plays the other Rescue at the end of his opponent's turn. "What, you weren't expecting Ashen Rider in my Green Black Deck?"

He didn't tell anybody he added those.

I've played a couple of those decks and cackled madly at using Burn Away.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Sorin is up to $39 tcg mid :shepspends: I wonder how long this value bubble can last.

I would guess between 2 and 3 weeks...

http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/21415

Boxman posted:

Reminder: They sorta can't. If EV stays too high, retailers will crack boxes themselves and immediately put the singles on sale, increasing supply and (hypothetically) dropping prices.

This is exactly what is going to happen. I know a relatively small store that is planning to crack between 6 and 18 cases depending on the demand this week. GP LA is this weekend but there is no standard GP stateside after that until the end of November which puts peak demand / lowest supply basically right this moment. These prices will begin to drop after this weekend.

A large farva fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 13, 2014

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sotar posted:

I just might shy away from STandard then and play limited/modern if these prices sustain (likely they won't)

Reminder: They sorta can't. If EV stays too high, retailers will crack boxes themselves and immediately put the singles on sale, increasing supply and (hypothetically) dropping prices.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Prices are pretty absurd right now. I've been saving my Standard trade stuff for after the Pro Tour, and I think it's a good time to cash out. There's always this psychological value inflation on cards after they top 8 a Pro Tour where people treat the cards like gold. Hoping to turn like $1500 worth of Standard cards into Eternal staples tonight. And maybe pick up the foil Dig Through Times I missed out on.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AgentSythe posted:

You joke, but this is actually a playable deck I've been running since GP Orlando: http://deckbox.org/sets/799748

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

You joke, but this is actually a playable deck I've been running since GP Orlando: http://deckbox.org/sets/799748
I forgot to ask this in the deckbuilding thread, but in general how do you sideboard for certain matchups?

neetengie fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 13, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This deck seemed so super duper slow and durdley to me when I tested it...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

neetengie posted:

I forgot to ask this in the deckbuilding thread, but in general how do you sideboard?
I grab the top 15 cards off whatever stack of cards I last see as I run out the door.

I am very bad at sideboards.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
so I take it I'm the only one in this thread who's working on the jeskai combo deck? bummer.

it's pretty tricky to find other pilots to bounce ideas off of.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

A big flaming stink posted:

so I take it I'm the only one in this thread who's working on the jeskai combo deck? bummer.

There was a pretty big discussion on the proper finishers on twitter last night from the CFB crew if you're really curious about it. I have the version LSV piloted sleeved up and if I get a chance I am taking it to FNM this week but I haven't goldfished it or anything.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
It always drove me crazy seeing 1 ofs and 2 ofs in sideboards in winning/pro decks.

I always thought you picked the top 3-4 archetypes and picked a sliver bullet for each then ran 4 of a bullet for the top 3 and 3 of the last bullet for the last one.

Until I played with 1 ofs and 2 ofs. You still get silver bullets but now they are spread among 2-3 different cards, so you end up bringing 4-8 bullets in vs. just 4 with my previous thinking.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

A big flaming stink posted:

Modern or Standard?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Where's the lsv list?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
The only list I'm interested in seeing is Tom Ross's Rabblemaster-less sligh deck, and exactly what he went up against.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snacksmaniac posted:

Where's the lsv list?

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/521209372416823296

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Emerson Cod posted:

Modern or Standard?

standard. I took Mattignon and Tian's list and kinda jammed them together. I'm in on the aura combo, but I'm down to two zero mana artifacts and just one twinflame as a kill, and up to 4 DTT and 2 Cruises main.

Tian's sideboard kind of blew my mind. Going nuts thinking about creatures to bring in (Sagu Mauler against Abzan? Prognostic Sphinx against tempo?)

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
That fnm change got me thinking, what about "pick your own standard era", so player 1 could pick rav/time spiral and play UB pickles, someone else could do alara/scars and play caw blade, etc., maybe whatever era you pick you automatically are at the day before rotation of the oldest block, so stuff would be banned that was banned in that standard era (so no clamp/artifact lands for the mirrodin/champs player).

Maybe everyone picks onslaught/mirrodin I dunno, sounds like it could be fun, but deck legality would be a nightmare.

edit: or the store could pick an era an everyone builds to that. Scars/innistrad one month, lorwyn/alara the next.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 13, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

InterrupterJones posted:

The only list I'm interested in seeing is Tom Ross's Rabblemaster-less sligh deck, and exactly what he went up against.
Aren't any details of matches yet but the list is in the Brewhaus thread.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The Lord of Hats posted:

What's the EV of a Khans pack right now, anyways? Still negative, but it's got to be a crazily close margin.

http://www.mtgstocks.com/sets/239

TCG mid a booster is worth $5. Boxes are $180. I think the reason this is happening is this set hasn't been very liquid. People are opening but not trading/selling as much. People are stuck on not trading lands, so people who want lands have little/nothing to offer for non-land cards.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

jassi007 posted:

TCG mid a booster is worth $5. Boxes are $180. I think the reason this is happening is this set hasn't been very liquid. People are opening but not trading/selling as much. People are stuck on not trading lands, so people who want lands have little/nothing to offer for non-land cards.

yeesh that's nuts. I've been trading every fetch i get my hands on the moment i open it. Getting two shocks for one fetch is a pretty good feeling right now.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Molybdenum posted:

That fnm change got me thinking, what about "pick your own standard era", so player 1 could pick rav/time spiral and play UB pickles, someone else could do alara/scars and play caw blade, etc., maybe whatever era you pick you automatically are at the day before rotation of the oldest block, so stuff would be banned that was banned in that standard era (so no clamp/artifact lands for the mirrodin/champs player).

Maybe everyone picks onslaught/mirrodin I dunno, sounds like it could be fun, but deck legality would be a nightmare.

edit: or the store could pick an era an everyone builds to that. Scars/innistrad one month, lorwyn/alara the next.

I think it would be more like the thread we have floating around where they're building custom Standards (well Super Standards) and using those for the construction limitations.

So the store would do a vote, or otherwise come to a decision, ahead of time on what sets would be legal (probably banning any Block Constructed Banned cards), post it up and/or make an announcement and then everyone has time to build.

I'd probably announce what sets are legal and any specific banned cards several weeks, or maybe a month, in advance if I was organizing something like this for a local shop.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Thank you. Going to try it for FNM. Jet Ski Ascendancy in All (two) Formats this week!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Oh SCG has some of the States lists up, turns out Tom Ross got 7th in Mississippi on Saturday and 1st in Louisiana on Sunday. With two completely different decks. W/U Heroic and Hordeling Boss Sligh.

Also the person that won the WA States was running mono red and the guy that won in New Jersey was on a 17 Mountain list with all one drops and only 2 Rabblemasters and a Mountain in the sideboard.

Even though it was not really at the Pro Tour at all, this is still a deck to play and win with on Game Day.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

Urza's/Masques, anyone?

I am also willing to settle for Rath/Urza

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I want to play 2004 era Extended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

jassi007 posted:

It's because retailer allocation wasn't high enough compared to demand, which is massive for this set. More boxes would be getting cracked for singles if there were more boxes to crack.

• Locked thread