Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

In Kokkuri-san, it looks like Kohina has a vase of flowers on her school desk (at around 6:19). That's never a good sign.

I should make a thread for Gugure! Kokkuri-san it's extremely cute :raise:

Kohina can't be a ghost because it'd make no sense for spirits to haunt other ghosts. I think it's just a kind gesture by fan.

Dropping Wolf Girl it's just *that* bad. Not even famous VAs can save it :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Schneider Heim posted:

Does anyone know what cars they used for Shirobako? Aoi's car looks like a Suzuki Alto, but I'm not a kei car expert.

The other one looks like some kind of Nissan, but I don't know what their current kei and subcompact models are besides the Micra, which doesn't look like that (I don't think.)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yall should watch Kokkuri-san, and remember to

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sora no Method is Ano Hana by way of Denpa Onna and Nagi no Asukara. And so I can't dislike this show because I liked most of those shows.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So is Bahamut a fortnightly show? Because if not, it's past time for the next episode to air, and I am jonesing.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It airs today.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Darth Walrus posted:

So is Bahamut a fortnightly show? Because if not, it's past time for the next episode to air, and I am jonesing.
That's the show that Funimation showed way early, isn't it? Like licensing-violation early.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

That doesn't sound interesting at all.

The first step to a supernatural comedy like Inou Battle is to relate what's going on to everyday life, and then make a clever twist on it. That's what made The Devil is a Part Timer so popular here, it really did convince you that an ambitious dark lord would gets weirdly into selling fast food, and it was funny to think about a fast food worker secretly being a dark lord. Oh, and it was really well made, of course.

Inou Battle has nothing like that, just a bunch of character quirks piled together without forming into anything worth watching, and it doesn't have anything on it's mind other than how to best beg for the audience's attention by piling up a bunch of previously successful things. I think the only reason it's getting any attention is Trigger's name and that it's not aggressively bad like other shows which try the same thing.

I don't like that the CR subs don't translate chuuni, and also I don't like the animation, the characters, the style or the story.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

That's the show that Funimation showed way early, isn't it? Like licensing-violation early.

They claim that that was when they were told to go live but yea, it's now coming out on Mondays.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I don't like that the CR subs don't translate chuuni, and also I don't like the animation, the characters, the style or the story.

I like how as soon as Chuu2koi came out mediocre translators the world over breathed a sigh of relief and decided they didn't need to translate chuuni anymore

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Did the phrase even come up in anime before Chuu2? Isn't it a relatively new term/archetype?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Just sick of all these bipolar characters

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

Did the phrase even come up in anime before Chuu2? Isn't it a relatively new term/archetype?

I'm pretty sure a radio host invented it like a decade ago. It's not a new phenomenon, anyway.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%AD%E4%BA%8C%E7%97%85
Term invented Jan 1999, popularized for I can't read Japanese so I don't know why in 2005

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Steins;Gate had a giant chuuni as its protagonist two years before the KyoAni show aired.

Rage of Bahamut E2: Still great, Favaro continues to be a hilarious sleazeball, dozens of gif-worthy moments, and the OP takes the show from 'very metal' to 'ludicrously metal'. We need a thread for this, stat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wanted to like episode 2 of Kokkuri-san but gently caress, Inugami was obnoxious enough to put me off the show.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

even the first episode of kokkuri didn't do anything for me

what would you translate chuuni as? delusional? kid with first grader syndrome?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Davincie posted:

I've read it as Middle School syndrome it's when someone goes all 100% in believing they could be the MC in a RPG/anime if only they had the right opportunity appear in their life :v:

Most kids grow out of it (hopefully) and stop talking about how much like are excited about their favorite manga series or video game release in class.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Translate chuuni as "kid games", "excited kid" and so on.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I have a hard time thinking of a concise, culturally relevant translation for chuunibyou. Every attempt I've seen has turned out awkward or extremely wordy. I'm completely fine with leaving it untranslated.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

...Manchild?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

nielsm posted:

Translate chuuni as "kid games", "excited kid" and so on.
Those don't represent chuunibyou at all.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Davincie posted:

Adolescent Indulgence Disorder

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Davincie posted:

Over-active Imagination?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Davincie posted:

LARPer?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Weirdo, Nerd, Childish, Weeb, or whatever else they called you in High School.

"Anime Loser."

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
If you have to invent a new phrase for the English language you aren't translating anymore. It's much more justifiable to leave chuunibyou untranslated than something like "otaku" or "hikikomori", which have close English equivalents.

That said it's pretty much a made up anime thing like tsundere anyway, not something worth knowing like schadenfreude or zeitgeist.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mercrom posted:

If you have to invent a new phrase for the English language you aren't translating anymore. It's much more justifiable to leave chuunibyou untranslated than something like "otaku" or "hikikomori", which have close English equivalents.

That said it's pretty much a made up anime thing like tsundere anyway, not something worth knowing like schadenfreude or zeitgeist.

I particularly enjoy all these fictional modern middle schoolers who are obsessed with LARPING anime that was cool in the early 90s. I mean seriously, it's 90% directly LARPing Yu Yu Hakusho, which we all know is the trendy popular thing these days and not at all a reflection on the mid-30s authors churning out these LNs.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

http://a.pomf.se/jrsabg.webm

Bahamut owns, go watch Bahamut.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Bahamut has no right to be as good as it is, but it's just so good. Pretty much any scene directly related to Favaro has been pure gold, and even Amira has her fun moments.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

KaneTW posted:

http://a.pomf.se/jrsabg.webm

Bahamut owns, go watch Bahamut.

the portrayal of the female character in this scene seems very problematic, and after watching the new Gundam show and how emotional those female characters are i am beginning to seriously think that anime has a problem with female characters

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Wanted to like episode 2 of Kokkuri-san but gently caress, Inugami was obnoxious enough to put me off the show.

That whole bit was creepy and gross. I'm probably going to watch one more episode just because I'm curious about the old tanuki(?) guy's gimmick but beyond that I'm pretty much done.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

That whole bit was creepy and gross. I'm probably going to watch one more episode just because I'm curious about the old tanuki(?) guy's gimmick but beyond that I'm pretty much done.

I hear that he's a shotacon

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

i didnt know they made an anime about Zorak

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

the portrayal of the female character in this scene seems very problematic, and after watching the new Gundam show and how emotional those female characters are i am beginning to seriously think that anime has a problem with female characters

Topes vs. Women In Anime coming from Dick Spacious CPA.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Episode 2 roundup:

I Can't Understand...: Yeah, I think I'll be keeping up on this show for the whole season. It's goofy and charming to keep my interest. How long is it supposed to be running again?

Denki-gai: Jesus Christ. The first one was a relatively generic, slightly dirty slice of life comedy, but I've never really watched a slice of life show so it was something new to me. Watchable at least. But this second episode is just so creepy. Don't watch it, just pretend it doesn't exist. Dropped like a ton of bricks.

Maybe I'll watch Chaika S1, the talk about S2 makes it sound pretty fun.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

ViggyNash posted:

Bahamut has no right to be as good as it is, but it's just so good. Pretty much any scene directly related to Favaro has been pure gold, and even Amira has her fun moments.

If you told me the most interesting show of the season was going to be the one based off a mobile CCG I would have thought you nuts, but drat if it isn't happening.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

S-Alpha posted:

I've never really watched a slice of life show so it was something new to me.

Please watch K-ON, Azumanga Dioah, or Non Non Biyori.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Please watch K-ON, Azumanga Dioah, or Non Non Biyori Nichijou, Nichijou, or Nichijou.

And after that if you like the genre go back and watch Azumanga, Hare+Guu, or Daily Lives of Highschool Boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xelkelvos posted:

Does not surprise me at this point.

• Locked thread