Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like the intro but I understand not wanting to sit through it every time. I just hit forward on the remote and wait a second. It's not a big deal and doesn't really cause a problem. So the whining about it really doesn't make much sense to me. It's one minute long. That's two taps of the 30 second skip in whatever you use to play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.
I think the shortened version that they put in front of the last few Batman shorts was the perfect length. Just long enough to be catchy without overstaying its welcome.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah, that intro is unnecessary and actively annoying. You're not a tv show and you don't need to introduce yourself (unless it's like the introduction before Guy From Harlem) Especially not with an animation that makes me have flashbacks to Spoony vids.

The animation is great, and I'm sure they're really happy with it, but for some reason the new intro feels the need to explain/advertise the premise--and that seems pretty unnecessary since you're presumably on board with the whole "riffing" concept before watching whatever you downloaded. That said, it's easy to skip so I don't feel the need to actively complain about it.

And if they're really doing a movie a week, I really hope they come up with some kind of subscription plan for guys like me who literally buy everything they make.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes. It's that same level of "were these people even aware of the concept of movies?" as Guy From Harlem, Last Slumber Party, or Ice Cream bunny.

It has everything! Birdemic-level science, a protagonist with a ridiculous name, crappy stop-motion animation, bad music, CONSTANT reminders of what time it is...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rifftrax has a 15% off code for a while for the new website design. "UPGRADE". I got me the puppet and UFO shorts, and the most recent DVD short collection as well.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Rifftrax got $12 more of my bucks for 14 shorts or so.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
I feel the same way about the new intro as I do about Disembaudio, I really hate it but I'll suck it up because I enjoy the rest of the product so much. I get Disembaudio's purpose for the films where you play the audio file over the film and it's there to make sure your synced, but the times the character has been used for jokes are awful. Like in Galaxy Invader, I love the riff but good lord, the ending credits are unbearable.

The new intro is too long but what I don't like about it has more to do with the grating sound of Jonathan Coulton's voice, though I suppose that's just a preference thing. All I can say is that like Disembaudio, I won't miss it if it goes away.

That said, they have been on a pretty good roll of films lately, although some have been confusing as all hell. One I haven't seen people talk about much is City of the Dead. For me it ranks up there pretty high because the movie is completely watchable but the riffs are pretty great on it all the same. Though I will admit, at first I thought they had done City of the Living Dead which surprised the hell out of me, because man, that movie has some memorable scenes...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So what you're saying is, you don't like Disembaudio's cover of Foo Fighter's "Walk"? Because it's awesome.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I cried tears of laughter when I heard Disembaudio's cover of that lovely Avril song over the end credits of Eragon.

keeeeeeeep hooooooooolding onnnnnnn...

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Rifftrax has a 15% off code for a while for the new website design. "UPGRADE". I got me the puppet and UFO shorts, and the most recent DVD short collection as well.
Sweet! These coupon codes come out and I always whine "But I already own everything". The new website encouraged me to look back through some of the older stuff, before I became a buy-everything junkie. I just bought 2 feature length riffs, Dr. Who and the Daleks and Future Zone which is apparently not Future Force (which I already own).

Neither are super-highly rated, but 15% off means I care 15% less about them being stellar.

What the new website needs is a Leaderboard so you can where you rank in the throwing money at Rifftrax game (Kickstarters not included).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CapnBry posted:

What the new website needs is a Leaderboard so you can where you rank in the throwing money at Rifftrax game (Kickstarters not included).

183 Shorts (including 13 DVDs of shorts)
63 Mp3 Commentaries
8 Live Shows DVD/Bluray/Digital Video (7 seen in theaters as well)
6 VOD movies
And paid for both Kickstarters.

I could buy a car with that money I'm sure.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Between 13 Features, 24 Shorts, 5 Live shows attended, 3 TV shows, 1 Rifftraks presents, and $60 in donations/kickstarters I figure I've spent $240 on Rifftrax and that I will break $300 by the end of the year. I no longer feel guilty about piratebay-ing the movies, I see it more like trying before buying.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Quick question: if I buy a Rifftrax Live show on DVD / Blu-ray, does that get me a digital copy of that show as well? I bought the Plan 9 Live DVD when it first went up for sale, and was surprised to find it in my streaming / download library years later. I'm basically wondering if that was a bug or a feature.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

IUG posted:

183 Shorts (including 13 DVDs of shorts)
63 Mp3 Commentaries
8 Live Shows DVD/Bluray/Digital Video (7 seen in theaters as well)
6 VOD movies
And paid for both Kickstarters.

I could buy a car with that money I'm sure.

I've purchased basically everything they've offered including most of the Presents titles. I figured I've spent over a thousand dollars easily. Worth every penny.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Quick question: if I buy a Rifftrax Live show on DVD / Blu-ray, does that get me a digital copy of that show as well? I bought the Plan 9 Live DVD when it first went up for sale, and was surprised to find it in my streaming / download library years later. I'm basically wondering if that was a bug or a feature.

I want to say that they let you stream from DVDs/Blurays you purchased. However, I just went to doublecheck, and it seems they've forgotten that I've bought the live shows and most of the Shorts DVDs.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

For Galaxy Invader and Jack the Giant Killer live I got digital versions of them when I bought the dvds, but for Planet of the Dinosaurs I did not. It will let me download ISOs of Planet but not a mp4 or anything. It seems inconstant.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

they did Galaxy Invaders live?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Just finished with R.O.T.O.R. Did anyone else think the titular cyborg looked like the Tracker from "Future War?"

EDIT: The animated intro they do is cute once, but get's old afterwards.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

bobservo posted:

And if they're really doing a movie a week, I really hope they come up with some kind of subscription plan for guys like me who literally buy everything they make.

Good news

quote:

We've listened to all of your requests, and we're thrilled to announce exciting new features coming to RiffTrax in the not-too-distant-future:

Mobile apps(!)
Personalized recommendations and preference-based browsing
More payment options, including Amazon, BitCoin and more!
Subscriptions
Upgrade your purchased B-movie VODs to their HD version (when available) - pay just the difference!
Send a friend a riff as a gift
Roku integration(!)
Improved iRiffs - fan-made commentaries are going to the next level

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I wonder if they're gonna start doing more guest riffers or stuff if they are really planning on a riff a week.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

At the end of ROTOR was the lasso made of explosives?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

hemale in pain posted:

At the end of ROTOR was the lasso made of explosives?

I think it was a reference to the very beginning when he blows up the stump. It's the same exploding wire... ahh, thing. I think.

Note that this was the only time that wire was referenced, so you had to remember that specific detail after the absurdly long establishing shot of the farm house.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it is detonating cord and logically must be described in the ten minute cowboy setup at the beginning.

The whole movie is an inverse Chekhov's Gun where they thought that if they lassoed a guy's arms and legs in different directions and then detonated him, they decided they needed to insert someone lassoing a stump with det cord in the first act. Also that kooky Indian pervert who talked about being pulled apart by wild horses just to cover all their bases. The writer didn't want you saying "whoa this is all new and confuses me!" at the end.

Pretty masterful writing how the climax ties everything together right?

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

PrinceRandom posted:

they did Galaxy Invaders live?

No, just I bought the dvds of Jack the Giant Killer live and Galaxy Invader. I also forgot I got Santa Clause and the Ice Cream Bunny on dvd and got it digitally as well. So far the only one that I didn't digitally is Planet of the Dinosaurs.

quote:

Mobile apps(!)
Personalized recommendations and preference-based browsing
More payment options, including Amazon, BitCoin and more!
Subscriptions
Upgrade your purchased B-movie VODs to their HD version (when available) - pay just the difference!
Send a friend a riff as a gift
Roku integration(!)
Improved iRiffs - fan-made commentaries are going to the next level

Oh god, no! Buttcoin, it's spreading!

Though I will totally be down for a subscription format, depending on how it works I might actually get the chance to watch more shorts. I tend to ignore most of them because there are so many and it's difficult to know the ones worth buying. This is Hormel though, worth every penny.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Drastic Actions posted:

I think it was a reference to the very beginning when he blows up the stump. It's the same exploding wire... ahh, thing. I think.

Note that this was the only time that wire was referenced, so you had to remember that specific detail after the absurdly long establishing shot of the farm house.

Yup, I just didn't realize it was the rope blowing up the stump though! I thought it was like linked to an explosive, or something, and he'd just lassoed it for fun.

:rip: bodybuilder lady who the main character leaves to die and then robots get remade in her image for some reason.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's fascinating is that I've watched most of the ROTOR riff and fell asleep to it a few times and everything you guys are talking about sounds new to me. Exploding stumps? Kooky Indian guy? I need to pay attention.

Did anyone talk about the Beach Boys references mentioned in the conference room? They were really shoe horned in there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm honestly amazed anyone can pay attention to R.O.T.O.R. through the whole thing. My brain just keeps sliding off it every time I try to watch it.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The Last Slumber Party looks like the kind of movie you'd get if you put everything off until the last day.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm still not positive as to what was real and what was a dream sequence in Last Slumber Party.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

therealjon_ posted:

I'm still not positive as to what was real and what was a dream sequence in Last Slumber Party.

Still not as confusing as how a dude who looms slowly at you with a scalpel can have such a high kill count.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

therealjon_ posted:

The movie itself is an eerily accurate representation of a nightmare. It's not that things happen for no reason, they just happen along a very broad line of logic like "There's a killer in the house" and the movie plays fast and loose off that, allowing him to pop up at any time or have a different motivation (or even identity) at any given moment. If it was intentional, it'd be admirable. If it was watchable without Rifftrax, it'd be amazing.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Still not as confusing as how a dude who looms slowly at you with a scalpel can have such a high kill count.

He's also really bad at cutting things with a scalpel apparently cause half the time he doesn't press hard enough to break skin

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

therealjon_ posted:

The dialogue in that movie kills me. The delivery, timing, everything.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MrMidnight posted:

The dialogue in that movie kills me. The delivery, timing, everything.

It almost makes Wiseau dialogue sound passable.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I would give every dollar I had for Tommy Wiseau to remake Last Slumber Party.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I know we haven't seen Anaconda yet, but I am SO EXCITED for the Christmas Live show!

They are doing the 1959 Mexican Santa Claus!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Canned Panda posted:

I know we haven't seen Anaconda yet, but I am SO EXCITED for the Christmas Live show!

They are doing the 1959 Mexican Santa Claus!

The site hasn't updated yet; where are you hearing this?

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

The site hasn't updated yet; where are you hearing this?

From my local theater's web site and conformation from someone at RiffTrax (who also gave me the go to post about it, even though they aren't announcing it for a couple of weeks).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Canned Panda posted:

From my local theater's web site and conformation from someone at RiffTrax (who also gave me the go to post about it, even though they aren't announcing it for a couple of weeks).

Nice! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

This is the one that Red Letter Media reviewed in their Christmas Best of the Worst last year, right? With the devil and the children seemingly enslaved by Santa in his sky castle?

(I love when there's overlap between Rifftrax/MST3K and RLM... I was excited when RLM featured Space Mutiny, and I was excited when Rifftrax riffed ROTOR!)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 13, 2014

• Locked thread