Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Has anyone else been getting this for the past few weeks in the gmail app?

It got so bad I decided to factory reset my phone (note 3), but that didn't help.

It's hit or miss whether or not an email will actually display.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

AnimalChin posted:

It got so bad I decided to factory reset my phone (note 3), but that didn't help.

If you're posting from Awful, you just posted a giant 1080x1920 screenshot, please edit in some timg tags.

Also, I'm curious, which app uses an owl notification icon?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

AnimalChin posted:

Yes, I have. I usually find that going up one level, and then going back to my inbox/the email I was trying to read fixes the issue.

Sereri posted:

Also, I'm curious, which app uses an owl notification icon?

It's some twitter client. The only reason I recognize it is because I'm pretty sure it was in the Google Marketplace before Twitter had an official Android application.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.levelup.touiteur

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Had that happening rarely for ages now. Blame gmail app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

big mean giraffe posted:

Had that happening rarely for ages now. Blame gmail app.

Ditto.

The first time I go into it after awhile, I can never get the first message I look at. I have to go up and then back down again. It's been doing this to me for probably 6-9 months.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Yup!

Happens if I open from the notification or from when I open the app. Going back then into it again makes it load fine.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Weird, gmail is probably in my top 3 used apps and I've never seen that.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is there a good podcast app that anyone can vouch for? I just switched from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy s5 and it's the only thing I miss about the iPhone.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

tadashi posted:

Is there a good podcast app that anyone can vouch for? I just switched from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy s5 and it's the only thing I miss about the iPhone.

BeyondPod is very good.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

tadashi posted:

I like Pocket Casts. I've paid for it as the app and I also ended up paying for browser access because it syncs podcasts from my phone to my browser.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

BeyondPod is very good.

Thanks. Look like this has everything I needed.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

tadashi posted:

Pocket Casts is worth every dime.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
WOOPS sorry about the giganto image. Imgur app doesn't let you specify the size.

I think I fixed it.

And yea the notification is for plume.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, can someone tell me what's the catch with Textra? No ads, no IAP... There's a company behind it, so its not just sharing a labour of love with the world. How's it being paid for? Anonymous stat uploads?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

WastedJoker posted:

Good morning goons,

I'm looking for an app which will allow me to scheduled file sync between folders on my internal storage to my external storage. I can only find apps which sync between your phone and cloud (such as Foldersync by tacit software).

I've been using Tasker "Copy dir" command but I've subsequently realised it defaults to "skip" existing files (even if filesize is different) so I'm looking to get an app that has more advanced sync features.

Most of the ones I've tried only offer cloud syncing :(

nobody?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kerbtree posted:

So, can someone tell me what's the catch with Textra? No ads, no IAP... There's a company behind it, so its not just sharing a labour of love with the world. How's it being paid for? Anonymous stat uploads?
They also make Chomp SMS which does have ads/iap to get rid of ads, and also has millions and millions of more downloads. Maybe they just put out Textra because they're nice?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

Textra is made by Delicious, Inc., and I'm pretty sure they make money from chomp SMS? Or at least used to?

E:FB

Also if I were to guess, they're probably trying something like what MightyText did:

1. put out a really good SMS app
2. get a lot of people to use it
3. months-years later: add optional premium features

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

dik-dik posted:

Also if I were to guess, they're probably trying something like what MightyText did:

1. put out a really good SMS app
2. get a lot of people to use it
3. months-years later: add optional premium features
I love me some Textra, but I would pay good money for the app to open with the most recent (or any) unread conversation. I open it to reply to a text and have input about half the reply before I notice it's to whatever random convo I was having last.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Unified Remote is free for today only.

It's a one time thing, so if you uninstall it, it won't unlock all the Full Version features without paying for them when you next install.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

porktree posted:

I love me some Textra, but I would pay good money for the app to open with the most recent (or any) unread conversation. I open it to reply to a text and have input about half the reply before I notice it's to whatever random convo I was having last.

Well, you could back out of the app instead of hitting the home button when you're done using it, or you could reply via the quick reply in the notification bar.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever
This might be a longshot but, I'm looking for an app that will run on an HP TouchPad with android 4.3.1 and will allow the TouchPad to be controlled over wifi. The functionality I'm looking for is really just the ability to use a 4th gen iPod Touch to interact with the TouchPad, sort of like a remote desktop. I'm not looking to stream media or anything like that from the TouchPad, just select apps and control a media player. It'd be cool if I could view the front facing camera as well, without the camera app displaying on the TouchPad's screen.

We are planning to take a long trip and want to use our spare TouchPad to entertain our son in his carseat. We intend to mount it on the headrest and use the iPod Touch to control the media player and, if possible, use the camera to check on him occasionally. We have a mobile hotspot that functions as a wifi network to provide connectivity.

Any suggestions, free or paid, would be appreciated.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't really imagine why you would need to sync data between your internal and external storage. Maybe if you describe what you are actually trying to achieve we can suggest a better way to do it.

Super Mario Shoeshine
Jan 24, 2005

such improper posting...

WastedJoker posted:

Good morning goons,

I'm looking for an app which will allow me to scheduled file sync between folders on my internal storage to my external storage. I can only find apps which sync between your phone and cloud (such as Foldersync by tacit software).

I've been using Tasker "Copy dir" command but I've subsequently realised it defaults to "skip" existing files (even if filesize is different) so I'm looking to get an app that has more advanced sync features.

Most of the ones I've tried only offer cloud syncing :(

uhhh... Bitorrent Sync?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Axolotl posted:

This might be a longshot but, I'm looking for an app that will run on an HP TouchPad with android 4.3.1 and will allow the TouchPad to be controlled over wifi. The functionality I'm looking for is really just the ability to use a 4th gen iPod Touch to interact with the TouchPad, sort of like a remote desktop. I'm not looking to stream media or anything like that from the TouchPad, just select apps and control a media player. It'd be cool if I could view the front facing camera as well, without the camera app displaying on the TouchPad's screen.

We are planning to take a long trip and want to use our spare TouchPad to entertain our son in his carseat. We intend to mount it on the headrest and use the iPod Touch to control the media player and, if possible, use the camera to check on him occasionally. We have a mobile hotspot that functions as a wifi network to provide connectivity.

Any suggestions, free or paid, would be appreciated.

Remote control of Android devices is pretty much impossible AFAIK. If this was Android->Android or Android->iOS instead of iOS->Android you could in theory set up an UPNP server on the Android device and use that to play to an Android/iOS client, but what you're describing has no viable solution.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
VNC servers exist for Android that can work for directly controlling. They almost always need root. I think you'd have to jailbreak the iPod Touch for a compatible VNC client to use with it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Is there an app that will replicate the Moto X's 'two flicks of the wrist opens the camera app' action for non-Moto X phones per chance?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Tunga posted:

I can't really imagine why you would need to sync data between your internal and external storage. Maybe if you describe what you are actually trying to achieve we can suggest a better way to do it.

I want to sync data between internal storage and external storage because currently not all apps support putting their settings backups etc on an external SD and I can't be bothered to remember which apps backed up settings are on which section of my storage so I'm going to leave them at default (i.e save to internal storage) and just periodically back the folders up onto my external storage.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Any idea why my Google maps voice navigation is switching between American and British English, usually mid sentence? Also is there any way to make it use the male voice?

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 14, 2014

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I am using Google Play Music to sync music from iTunes to 'the cloud'. It syncs my playlists, but always ends up repeating the first tracks, so it was correct the first time I uploaded anything:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 etc.

However over time it has added tracks to the start again, becoming:

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

And now it's something stupid like:

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Any idea why this would happen or how I can stop it? The actual 'start' of my playlists is now like 2/3rds of the way through.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WastedJoker posted:

I want to sync data between internal storage and external storage because currently not all apps support putting their settings backups etc on an external SD and I can't be bothered to remember which apps backed up settings are on which section of my storage so I'm going to leave them at default (i.e save to internal storage) and just periodically back the folders up onto my external storage.
Just use an actual backup solution like Helium. You can also have them sent to Drive or similar.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

dik-dik posted:

Any idea why my Google maps voice navigation is switching between American and British English, usually mid sentence? Also is there any way to make it use the male voice?

Mine did this on Friday, but only when the voice said "in a half mile". However, it didn't happen on the drive back home Sunday. WTF, Google.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Tunga posted:

Just use an actual backup solution like Helium. You can also have them sent to Drive or similar.

I'm an actual genuine loving bellend.

I just reinstalled Foldersync and discovered I can do exactly what I wanted. Not sure how I missed it first time around :psyduck:

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Is there a way to make my music keep playing despite having the camera app open? Snapchat does this so I know it's a thing. It's annoying to have my music shut off when I'm trying to film a lift. Thanks!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

roymorrison posted:

Is there a way to make my music keep playing despite having the camera app open? Snapchat does this so I know it's a thing. It's annoying to have my music shut off when I'm trying to film a lift. Thanks!

Maybe try a different app? I have poweramp and I just tried this and my music kept playing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Now that the Hangouts Chrome app has chat heads functionality, I really hope Google brings that to the Hangouts mobile app. That's assuming Facebook doesn't have a patent on mobile chat heads though.

I hope they keep the Chrome extension/add-on version along side the Chrome App version.

I don't like the Chat Heads and the "always there" Hangout bubble. Or the fact that it takes up an icon in the taskbar.

Give me a tiny icon in my Chrome tab, and small little windows with the NAME of who I'm talking to.

Some people change their Google+ picture willy nilly to random poo poo...I think half my drat contacts have a pumpkin/jack-o-lantern right now. i can't keep track in my head who's pumpkin is who's!

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Are there any recommendations for an organiser or task manager app? Ideally Id like to be able to:
- schedule a task against a day (i.e. 'call the dude about the thing')
- add notes to a task such as a shopping list
- repeating events (laundry day, mother lover!)
- non scheduled tasks or goals

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My Google Now stopped showing travel time cards, but it still shows up on the notification pull down. They are turned on in the settings, I don't know why it's not showing them anymore. Any ideas?

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

My Google Now stopped showing travel time cards, but it still shows up on the notification pull down. They are turned on in the settings, I don't know why it's not showing them anymore. Any ideas?

Same thing happened to me. I even went as far as clearing the cache and data for it and it still won't show me travel cards.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

FogHelmut posted:

I notice that I only get notifications like that when I should already be where I need to go.

If I have a calendar appointment somewhere at 9am, I'll get a notification that I should leave by 8:30 at like 9:01. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

BeyondPod is very good.

Has anyone else found BeyondPod to be somewhat... buggy? Every month or so, I will find it has 'forgotten' which podcasts in a feed I've already listened to, and will have marked the entire feed unread, resulting in it downloading episodes 1, 2, and 3.

Really wish I could find something better that still had as many options.

• Locked thread