Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sort of.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC224575/

e:

I'm interpreting that to mean that survivors didn't have any final differences in viral load, it replicated in everyone's body roughly the same amount, but the next paragraph I quoted does go on to suggest that the initial viral load might trigger different cytokine responses.

You're right. I thought I read that somewhere. Thanks.

So survival depends on multiple factors including adaptive immunity, cytokines produced, and amount of virus exposure. I think that same study also suggests that the GP produced by Ebola alone can cause significant host damage.

I also found this study that indicates how someone got infected determines their incubation period, not the amount of virus they were exposed to.

http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/179/Supplement_1/S1.long

quote:

In Yambuku, as expected, the incubation period for person-to-person transmission of EBO was longer than the incubation period for injections or needlestick accidents. Thus, the empirical recommendation of 3 weeks for quarantine surveillance of EHF contacts appears to be appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

mastervj posted:

I did just that with the family. I got my parents and sister to match my 500. And as wrong and self-righteous as that sounds, MSF are the only thing I will shamelessly plug. Those guys are awesome, have steel plated balls and ovaries, and deserve every single cent.

That's awesome, good for you and your family!

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm wondering, what's stopping something like the TSA patting down everyone at the airport and inadvertently spreading the virus? Ebola can spread through touch.

The fact that even the TSA's probably not dumb enough to pat down a symptomatic West African traveller, I hope.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

An article I linked a while back is probably where we read that the infectious dose determines the outcome of infection. I didn't think of it before because it was talking about viruses in general, not Ebola specifically.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK8149/

quote:

Even at the earliest stage of pathogenesis (implantation), certain variables may influence the final outcome of the infection. For example, the dose, infectivity, and virulence of virus implanted and the location of implantation may determine whether the infection will be inapparent (subclinical) or will cause mild, severe, or lethal disease.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Unlike in Spain, Dallas Ebola patient's dog will be saved

Rick Jervis, USA TODAY 5:55 p.m. EDT October 12, 2014

DALLAS -- The health worker who tested positive for Ebola has a dog, but the mayor of Dallas says unlike in a recent Spanish case, the dog will be kept safe for eventual reunion with its owner.

Mayor Mike Rawlings told USA TODAY that the dog remained in the health worker's apartment when she was hospitalized and will soon be sent to a new location to await its owner's recovery.

There are no plans to euthanize the dog, he said.

"This was a new twist," Rawlings said. "The dog's very important to the patient and we want it to be safe."

:chord:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
The US is really doing well so far. One patient, one nurse infected. :ughh: nurses Union mad, too.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I was wondering whether or not non-clinical disease was happening/possible with Ebola.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Torpor posted:

The US is really doing well so far. One patient, one nurse infected. :ughh: nurses Union mad, too.

Don't you mean 5 patients?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Torpor posted:

Sample size isn't significant. Calm yourself.

Grim Up North posted:

Unlike in Spain, Dallas Ebola patient's dog will be saved

Rick Jervis, USA TODAY 5:55 p.m. EDT October 12, 2014

DALLAS -- The health worker who tested positive for Ebola has a dog, but the mayor of Dallas says unlike in a recent Spanish case, the dog will be kept safe for eventual reunion with its owner.

Mayor Mike Rawlings told USA TODAY that the dog remained in the health worker's apartment when she was hospitalized and will soon be sent to a new location to await its owner's recovery.

There are no plans to euthanize the dog, he said.

"This was a new twist," Rawlings said. "The dog's very important to the patient and we want it to be safe."

:chord:

Kill the dog. KILL THE DOG

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fruity Rudy posted:

I'm confused as to how they're planning on getting West Africa spread under control as is being claimed. I've seen zero evidence at the moment that that is an achievable outcome. All of those nations have a really poor public health infrastructure, a poorly informed public, governments without any real resources to deal with an outbreak of this size, and ideal poor hygiene conditions for transmission. Yes, we have dealt with Ebola in the past, but it burned out before reaching significant population clusters. What's the magic bullet that's going to change that math in West Africa? It isn't like the population that ignored local official warnings is suddenly going to follow the instructions of foreign health workers.

You do have to understand that current notions of "getting west africa under control" include things like west african nations collapsing so spectacularly that it becomes extremely difficult for people in afflicted countries to get about within their own countries, let alone travel to others. And this happening while stronger West African states are able to patrol their borders to isolate or arrest (or possibly even straight up kill) people attempting to flee.

Much like how ebola in the past tended to become under control because it would wipe all but 5 people in a cluster of rural towns and those 5 people just happened to not catch it in the meantime, so it's looking like "under control" will be in West Africa.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Don't you mean 5 patients?

You are right of course. :sweatdrop: I think about them differently, I guess. The Dallas patient just seems different since it was a situation where the hospital had to diagnose and treat without prior preparation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Torpor posted:

You are right of course. :sweatdrop: I think about them differently, I guess. The Dallas patient just seems different since it was a situation where the hospital had to diagnose and treat without prior preparation.

It is different because Presbyterian was effectively chosen at random. This is more like what would happen at any hospital large enough to claim on paper these capacities. Even as we figure out the exact cause of transmission, there are already good and easy to implement lessons learned: e.g. implement a PPE/infection control coordinator that has the sole job of making sure PPE is used and removed safely. That wasn't done at Presbyterian and is now part of the response plan at Presbyterian and other hospitals.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Discendo Vox posted:

Kill the dog. KILL THE DOG

We should finish what Sherman started imo
Its the only way.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Nintendo Kid posted:

You do have to understand that current notions of "getting west africa under control" include things like west african nations collapsing so spectacularly that it becomes extremely difficult for people in afflicted countries to get about within their own countries, let alone travel to others. And this happening while stronger West African states are able to patrol their borders to isolate or arrest (or possibly even straight up kill) people attempting to flee.

Much like how ebola in the past tended to become under control because it would wipe all but 5 people in a cluster of rural towns and those 5 people just happened to not catch it in the meantime, so it's looking like "under control" will be in West Africa.

Pretty much. There's almost no chance of the affected countries controlling it at this point, barring a massive international intervention which just isn't in the cards. For that matter, even if Ebola just vanished off the face of the earth tomorrow, those countries would still probably have major economic depressions and famines.

At this point the international public-health strategy seems to be containment - try to prevent it from spreading to the less-poor African countries who at least have a chance of addressing it. Failing that, keep it from taking hold off the African continent.

This is a really loving risky strategy, but it's really the only one we've got if an international intervention is off the table. Treatments and vaccines are all too far off to be worth banking on - a year or so, plus more time to ramp up production and get people vaccinated or treated.

As bad as the crisis is in those countries, it can still get a lot worse. They have 8000 confirmed cases (believed to be an under-estimate because of collapse of reporting capability), doubling every 15 days, the population of SL/Guinea/Libera combined is 22 million. If it's allowed to fester, that's a lot of potential refugees to slip through the cracks in containment. And if it makes it to other dirt-poor countries (India, South/Central America, etc) then it looks even worse. How do you deal with a reservoir of 500-1000 million (like India) instead of 22 million?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 13, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Trabisnikof posted:

It is different because Presbyterian was effectively chosen at random. This is more like what would happen at any hospital large enough to claim on paper these capacities. Even as we figure out the exact cause of transmission, there are already good and easy to implement lessons learned: e.g. implement a PPE/infection control coordinator that has the sole job of making sure PPE is used and removed safely. That wasn't done at Presbyterian and is now part of the response plan at Presbyterian and other hospitals.

It seems that Presbyterian is now the Ebola hospital in Dallas since the CDC already set up camp there and they overtook an entire ICU but I would think in different circumstances they would have expected Ebola patients to show up more in county/public hospitals than random general hospitals.

I still think Presbyterian was an odd choice, it seems obviously driven by proximity but in Dallas if you weren't insured Parkland would be the logical choice and set up already for isolation because of the number of TB cases that show up there.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

How do you deal with a reservoir of 500-1000 million (like India) instead of 22 million?

I think you know the answer to that.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I have some more questions for medical goons...

Is there any chance some people are getting a non-clinical infection and recovering without ever getting sick enough to report?

Also, there are three vaccines in trials. What are the dangers of not finishing the trial and just ramping up production, at least enough to give to medical professionals who are willing to take the risk? I imagine that volunteer numbers would go up if volunteers were offered a vaccine, experimental or otherwise.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ZombieLenin posted:

I have some more questions for medical goons...

Is there any chance some people are getting a non-clinical infection and recovering without ever getting sick enough to report?

Also, there are three vaccines in trials. What are the dangers of not finishing the trial and just ramping up production, at least enough to give to medical professionals who are willing to take the risk? I imagine that volunteer numbers would go up if volunteers were offered a vaccine, experimental or otherwise.
With the latter I imagine they want to have at least a reasonable idea that it helps. I doubt these vaccines would replace PPE in any case, they're a backstop; the problem there being that if you have a vaccine people assume that that means 'immunity.' As opposed to 'higher resistance to accidental infection'.

Also what if the vaccine gives 1/1000 people Ebola? :v:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Nessus posted:

With the latter I imagine they want to have at least a reasonable idea that it helps. I doubt these vaccines would replace PPE in any case, they're a backstop; the problem there being that if you have a vaccine people assume that that means 'immunity.' As opposed to 'higher resistance to accidental infection'.

Also what if the vaccine gives 1/1000 people Ebola? :v:

Right, but that's why I'm curious as to why offering it to medical professionals is off the table. You aren't inoculating everyone, just people in the line of fire who are willing to receive the vaccine. And, of course, I assume that it won't replace PPE. Honestly, it's not even about whether or not it's effective so much as it protects doctors and nurses from accidental infection (or makes them think it might) so you encourage more people who are needed to volunteer to go into the hotzone.

And if it is turns out it is effective--even if it gives 1/1000 people active infection--at some point it seems that this might be infinitely more acceptable than loosing 70% of your population to the disease.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

Let's all quit our jobs and prepare for the end times! Hallelujah!

Or you can stop imagining nightmare American Ebola zombie invasions and donate to people doing poo poo about Ebola where it is demonstrably a nightmare.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I donated $50 bucks and solicited you DnD goons to match a page ago... So far know takers, but lots of "the end is here, let's go hide!"

Few pages late, but I 60% matched you. :)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ebola Roulette posted:

I thought I read something like that too but now I'm wondering if it had something to do with amount of virus exposure affecting incubation period. I'll search some more and post when I find it.

Is there even any way of knowing what the initial load was? Seems like the sort of thing that would be impossible to determine.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

This loving thread man. I contacted MSF and I'll be going to an information meeting at the end of the month. I guess if they need nurses with my qualifications I might be going to africa at some point. Here's hoping
Way late, but out of curiosity, what are your qualifications? Last time I checked MSF's site they didn't seem to want/need me so I'm curious what changed.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

Is there even any way of knowing what the initial load was?

No, not really. Well, scientists can know the initial load while doing experiments. But not in infections that occur naturally.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I checked on the off chance that I might have something that could be used to help people, and saw this message:

quote:

Please be advised that, at this time, Doctors Without Borders is no longer recruiting specifically for the Ebola emergency in West Africa. However, if you would like to be considered for the Ebola response in addition to other field assignments, please specify this on your field application.

Future updates regarding recruitment for the Ebola crisis will be posted on our website.

Thank you very much for your interest. We appreciate your willingness to contribute to our efforts.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/work-with-us

What's up with that? I hope they've been totally inundated with thousands of med goons who want to help, but I thought they'd always be able to use more.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Ravenfood posted:

Way late, but out of curiosity, what are your qualifications? Last time I checked MSF's site they didn't seem to want/need me so I'm curious what changed.

Im a RN and used to be/am a military NCO so I have some experience running/working at field hospitals. Gotta say again, like I said before, though, I'm just going to a meeting for possible applicants with skills that might be needed and its not like Im packing my bags or anything. I just want to at least offer my services and we'll see what happens. I don't have money to donate, but I do have time and skills so I figure why not give it a go?

Edit:
the woman I talked to said they were still looking for people to go to Africa on a longer timescale, like after christmas or nearer next summer. It might be the American Branch is just getting too many requests to work through?

Nuclear War fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 13, 2014

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

At least one of the vaccines in development is another unrelated virus with an ebola protein tacked on the surface. It couldn't give you the bola. We'll see if it works.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

ZombieLenin posted:

The CDC and NIH are doing exactly that with a couple of products, very specifically in HCWs in limited settings. Unfortunately, a couple nonprofits with infinite money and zero sense are planning to stage a full intervention with a treatment called ZMapp. ZMapp is phase zero, meaning there's been no controlled clinical study yet. A large scale intervention with a clinically untested drug in the affected regions has the potential to be the greatest bioethics disaster in human history.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tuyop posted:

I checked on the off chance that I might have something that could be used to help people, and saw this message:

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/work-with-us

What's up with that? I hope they've been totally inundated with thousands of med goons who want to help, but I thought they'd always be able to use more.

They may be short on resources for other areas needing their services due to ebola response.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

They may be short on resources for other areas needing their services due to ebola response.

And likewise their training resources may be limited. They may only have so many instructors etc.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I've said it before, but "lets just shove some vaccines in there see if that helps" is the opposite of a clinical trial. Drawing statistically significant results without controls is impossible; if we gave it to a bunch of people and some got better, there could be any number of external factors that are influencing the trial. Shove ten kinds of pills at random to Ebola patients and you will get a pill that seems to work: this is the Texan sharpshooter effect (unload a gun at the broad side of a barn, draw a circle around the highest concentration of holes, you seem to be a sharpshooter). The shot could be ineffective, make the problem worse or even give some fraction of the patients Ebola and we would never know.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

CoolCab posted:

I've said it before, but "lets just shove some vaccines in there see if that helps" is the opposite of a clinical trial. Drawing statistically significant results without controls is impossible; if we gave it to a bunch of people and some got better, there could be any number of external factors that are influencing the trial. Shove ten kinds of pills at random to Ebola patients and you will get a pill that seems to work: this is the Texan sharpshooter effect (unload a gun at the broad side of a barn, draw a circle around the highest concentration of holes, you seem to be a sharpshooter). The shot could be ineffective, make the problem worse or even give some fraction of the patients Ebola and we would never know.

The irresponsible stuff is being done with a treatment, not a vaccine.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Discendo Vox posted:

The irresponsible stuff is being done with a treatment, not a vaccine.

Right, addressing both that and people asking "why don't we jab all the volunteers with a vaccine, can't hurt". The vaccine preparers seem to know that it certainly can while the zmapp people don't.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Discendo Vox posted:

The CDC and NIH are doing exactly that with a couple of products, very specifically in HCWs in limited settings. Unfortunately, a couple nonprofits with infinite money and zero sense are planning to stage a full intervention with a treatment called ZMapp. ZMapp is phase zero, meaning there's been no controlled clinical study yet. A large scale intervention with a clinically untested drug in the affected regions has the potential to be the greatest bioethics disaster in human history.

I thought there was a serious logistical barrier to Zmapp. As in its difficult to produce and takes considerable time to manufacture. Let alone the issue of it being a drug with zero clinical trials.

I'd be interested to know though how many people given Zmapp before it ran out actually recovered?

CoolCab posted:

Right, addressing both that and people asking "why don't we jab all the volunteers with a vaccine, can't hurt". The vaccine preparers seem to know that it certainly can while the zmapp people don't.

I never wanted to suggest this as a policy. I am only (seriously) curious why it's not an option, because I am not a medical professional, an epidemiologist, a pharmacist, or a biological scientist.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 13, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

I thought there was a serious logistical barrier to Zmapp. As in its difficult to produce and takes considerable time to manufacture. Let alone the issue of it being a drug with zero clinical trials.

Gates is throwing their practically unlimited funding into growing more of the stuff- it will be ready in approximately a month.

ZombieLenin posted:

I'd be interested to know though how many people given Zmapp before it ran out actually recovered?

All of them, I believe, but it's a forced sample of n<10 healthcare workers under best practices hospital care in the US-meaningless in terms of its evaluation of the drug's effectiveness. The proposed intervention is basically all people (including children and pregnant women, and people with other illnesses) in the affected areas.

Gates also has a poor reputation in the epidemiology community for employing spray-and-pray tactics with vaccine distribution. They don't tend to do followup or monitoring work of the sort necessary to ensure proper use of the pharmaceutical, or to prevent the development of drug-resistant strains. You basically have to isolate and monitor people given a vaccine or treatment in this sort of setting because otherwise people who don't take the medication properly, or just people who are unlucky, may develop a version of the infection that is resistant to the treatment. Then the individual with the resistant version of the infection can spread it back into the general population.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 13, 2014

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

All of them, I believe, but it's a forced sample of n<10 healthcare workers under best practices hospital care in the US-meaningless in terms of its evaluation of the drug's effectiveness. The proposed intervention is basically all people (including children and pregnant women, and people with other illnesses) in the affected areas.

ZMapp is 5-2 atm, the Spanish priest and a Liberian doctor got it and died.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
How does immunity to ebola work? There's a few groups of villagers that are entirely immune to the virus, from what I understand. Is this immunity genetic from previous ebola cases in the area?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm a political "scientist" by trade (go ahead and mock, the use of the word scientist is ridiculous). I say this only to communicate that I understand how that sample size is not large enough, and you have serious issues with confounding variables. I was just curious to know why people like Bill Gates want to bank on this.

quote:

Gates also has a poor reputation in the epidemiology community for employing spray-and-pray tactics with vaccine distribution. They don't tend to do followup or monitoring work of the sort necessary to ensure proper use of the pharmaceutical, or to prevent the development of drug-resistant strains. You basically have to isolate and monitor people given a vaccine or treatment in this sort of setting because otherwise people who don't take the medication properly, or just people who are unlucky, may develop a version of the infection that is resistant to the treatment. Then the individual with the resistant version of the infection can spread it back into the general population.

So in the case of the Ebola vaccines there is the potential risk of accidentally creating incurable/untreatable worse Ebola?

Noctis Horrendae posted:

How does immunity to ebola work? There's a few groups of villagers that are entirely immune to the virus, from what I understand. Is this immunity genetic from previous ebola cases in the area?

Totally not equipped to answer this, but from what I've read previous infection give immunity to particular strains of Ebola for at least 10 years. It might give immunity to all the strains, but there isn't enough (any) evidence to support this conclusively.

Medical goons, feel free to correct me.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 13, 2014

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Those villages probably had unnoticed Ebola outbreaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ZombieLenin posted:

I never wanted to suggest this as a policy. I am only (seriously) curious why it's not an option, because I am not a medical professional, an epidemiologist, a pharmacist, or a biological scientist.

The importance of performing accurate double blind tests as well as the benefits of metadata review (which is essentially examining ALL the data available, valuing it based on how pure the trials were and then performing a metadata analysis) are best described using the logo for the Cochrane Institute which is dedicated to this kind of analysis:

quote:

The logo of the Cochrane Collaboration illustrates a meta analysis of data from seven randomized controlled trials (RCTs), comparing one health care treatment with a placebo in a forest plot. The diagram shows the results of a systematic review and meta analysis on inexpensive course of corticosteroid given to women about to give birth too early – the evidence on effectiveness that would have been revealed had the available RCTs been reviewed systematically a decade earlier. This treatment reduces the odds of the babies of such women dying from the complications of immaturity by 30–50%. Because no systematic review of these trials had been published until 1989, most obstetricians had not realized that the treatment was so effective and therefore many premature babies have probably suffered or died unnecessarily.[18]

Each of the seven trials failed to identify that this procedure could have prevented the killing of infants as their samples were too small. Dead infants are literally the stakes, RCTs are absolutely essential for any treatment and why zmapp being dished out without it should scare the poo poo out of you.

• Locked thread