Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

Correnth posted:

Unfortunately there's little-to-no tracking on where voters come from, or even what sorts of demographics have checked you out - You get the breakdown of votes (yes, no, ask later), how many people have added you to their favorites, and information on average stats for other (non-specified) Greenlight projects, but that's about it. I can understand *why* they don't give out more information than they do, just would have been nice to know a bit more about the people who gave us the time of day.

Like I said, there's just nothing I really learned from the process, and that bothers the back of my brain. I don't understand why our game was accepted as quickly as it was with seemingly so few overall votes, particularly when there are a bunch of other games that have been on Greenlight a lot longer and, if I'm going to be completely honest, probably deserve being on Steam more than our title. I feel like we didn't really... 'do' anything to get Greenlit, and that leaves me curious and confused. Otherwise I'm just happy and grateful because, hey, Steam.

And no, the video seems to automatically be placed first on the list with no options for re-arranging, at least none that I could find.

drat, would be a nice feature...but I can see them not really caring after GabeN said he didn't really like the Greenlight process and was looking at ways to change it up.

I guess it's probably a lot more about gaining some votes to get it in front of Valve's eyes. If they look at it and see it's a quality game then it's probably more likely to get through even with fewer votes than thought possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
So while it's not exactly a job, I got made lead designer on my school's large team game capstone project this year. Turns out managing a group of designers is really fun and rewarding! Super psyched to be working on a game that's more than just "mine."

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
How many designers can a school project really have?

I graduated around the time the second flight of Guildhall kids graduated, maybe a year or two after the Narbacular Drop / Portal kids graduated, and I have no idea what "modern" videogame schooling looks like.

I'd actually love to hear more about the program you're in, if you don't mind.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

How many designers can a school project really have?

I graduated around the time the second flight of Guildhall kids graduated, maybe a year or two after the Narbacular Drop / Portal kids graduated, and I have no idea what "modern" videogame schooling looks like.

I'd actually love to hear more about the program you're in, if you don't mind.

I'm a Digipen senior and one of the teams I know has 7 designers on it :downs:
Granted, it's the school's first Wii U game, but still.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Who is our resident Amazon Game Studio person again? Have a question for them.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Mega Shark posted:

Who is our resident Amazon Game Studio person again? Have a question for them.

sup

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Trip report after another month: game concepting is still hard.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Brackhar posted:

This is why you need an Ideas Guy.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Brackhar posted:

REcent discovery indicates this is true.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

devilmouse posted:

This is why you need an Ideas Guy.

Yup! It's really unfortunate that it's almost impossible to find anyone with any ideas, if only there were some freshly graduated CS graduates with great game ideas, then everyone could make so much money. :(

edit: If we can't find that, then we need the second-rarest resource in gaming: People who can identify things they don't like in popular games. If they'd just tell us what they don't like, we could immediately quit being stupid, make their changes, and then all games would be great like when they were 12.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

theflyingorc posted:

Yup! It's really unfortunate that it's almost impossible to find anyone with any ideas, if only there were some freshly graduated CS graduates with great game ideas, then everyone could make so much money. :(

edit: If we can't find that, then we need the second-rarest resource in gaming: People who can identify things they don't like in popular games. If they'd just tell us what they don't like, we could immediately quit being stupid, make their changes, and then all games would be great like when they were 12.

Real talk games were better when I was 12.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Real talk you didn't have a filter when you were 12, so more games were considered "good." With experience comes refined tastes!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Real talk you didn't have a filter when you were 12, so more games were considered "good." With experience comes refined tastes!

Also everything was new and exciting to you back then.

By the time you're in your 30's? Not so much.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I can be your ideas man. Ok we are gonna make a game that is a cross between Call ofDuty but with Halos matchmaking and it's like WoW but not the bad parts.

Also you're a Wizard so instead of guns you get magic sticks you can put tactical attachments on like a polymorph spell launcher or a foregrip. When you earn a nuke instead of a nuke it is one of three giant beasts - an ice giant, a fire giant, or the Stay Puft Marshmallowman.

Oh also there is a loot system that's random like borderlands so you can shoot fire or ricochet bullets with your gun.

For this great idea I would like one million dollars please thank you this is a billion dollar idea

E: or how about a WW2 game. But. You are. Nazis! Really makes you think

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

I can be your ideas man. Ok we are gonna make a game that is a cross between Call ofDuty but with Halos matchmaking and it's like WoW but not the bad parts.

Also you're a Wizard so instead of guns you get magic sticks you can put tactical attachments on like a polymorph spell launcher or a foregrip. When you earn a nuke instead of a nuke it is one of three giant beasts - an ice giant, a fire giant, or the Stay Puft Marshmallowman.

Oh also there is a loot system that's random like borderlands so you can shoot fire or ricochet bullets with your gun.

For this great idea I would like one million dollars please thank you this is a billion dollar idea

Please credit your sources.

http://orteil.dashnet.org/gamegen

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Brackhar posted:

Make a cross between Deer Hunter and Painkiller. Call it Deer Annihilator. It will even have franchise potential, like in the future you can make Bear Annihilator and Bass Annihilator.

xzzy posted:

Also everything was new and exciting to you back then.

By the time you're in your 30's? Not so much.
Maybe I'm falling into the trap you're talking about, but I think there is another big factor, which is that gameplay as a function of technological capability has been plateauing. I think the vast majority of games out today, including most AAA games, could have been done in 2005 and just looked/sounded worse. I don't think I could have said that in 2005 about games in 1995, and especially couldn't have said that about games in 1995 compared to 1985.

I think the biggest cause of it is that the technology has mostly improved to allow for games with massive budgets, but with those massive budgets has come risk aversion. There's also the fact that storage capacity was a much harsher limiting factor than it's been since the advent of cheaply-manufactured optical disks.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 13, 2014

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

And that's how Destiny was born.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

I think the biggest cause of it is that the technology has mostly improved to allow for games with massive budgets, but with those massive budgets has come risk aversion. There's also the fact that storage capacity was a much harsher limiting factor than it's been since the advent of cheaply-manufactured optical disks.

Risk aversion is certainly a real thing, but it's not the whole story. There's a zillion variables involved and jaded old folks is just one of them. :v:

It's just a little harder to see I think because gaming is still a relatively young industry. Look towards Hollywood or fiction novels for more data.. the stuff that kids gobble up today is not any better or worse than what a random 40 year old grew up with, but I'd bet money that the old fart will look more favorably on older material.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

xzzy posted:

An arcade game where you fight alternative lifestyles with a shovel.

A turn-based strategy game where you excavate bankers and near the end you ascend to godhood.

OMG this is amazing.

Also my previous idea was an original creation (OC) do not steal.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Honestly I think graphically, around 1999 was the best time for sprite based games. Then 3D popped up and threw everything in a tizzy and only now are sprite games making a comeback again. Now things are nuts and I like that indie companies are getting around the whole tutorial explanation stuff that game designers mastered back in the late 80s. It's like games got retarded for a bit with all the new 3d companies.

I think Egoraptors Sequelitis basically hits it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

Also where the poo poo is my next Dungeon Keeper 2?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It's Dungeons 2 now, and being made by Realmforge instead.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Honestly I think graphically, around 1999 was the best time for sprite based games. Then 3D popped up and threw everything in a tizzy and only now are sprite games making a comeback again. Now things are nuts and I like that indie companies are getting around the whole tutorial explanation stuff that game designers mastered back in the late 80s. It's like games got retarded for a bit with all the new 3d companies.
The "tutorial UGH just LET ME PLAY" thing is the most overblown "games are being ruined!!!" thing.

Those "GO HIT THE BUTTON" prompts aren't for people like you and me, they're for people who don't play games who said "What is a Call of Duties anyway?" A controller is an incredibly intimidating thing for a person who hasn't used them before, and a person who has never really used one is already having their brain overloaded, and literally needs the guy saying "Go open the door, cadet!" so they don't shut down, turn the system off, and never play the game again.

It is bordering on impossible to get over this hump in a 3D environment (unlike a 2D game like Megaman X), so that's why games literally sit down and explain their mechanics. I get that it's slightly annoying but it's just anger gamer elitism.

edit: And Dungeon Keeper was fun, but they're the easiest games in the world and if you want to play a modern version, might I direct you to The Sims 4.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Hey I had my rear end busted on me by Ghosts and Goblins and Mario 1, so should these youngins.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 13, 2014

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

theflyingorc posted:

The "tutorial UGH just LET ME PLAY" thing is the most overblown "games are being ruined!!!" thing.

Those "GO HIT THE BUTTON" prompts aren't for people like you and me, they're for people who don't play games who said "What is a Call of Duties anyway?" A controller is an incredibly intimidating thing for a person who hasn't used them before, and a person who has never really used one is already having their brain overloaded, and literally needs the guy saying "Go open the door, cadet!" so they don't shut down, turn the system off, and never play the game again.

It is bordering on impossible to get over this hump in a 3D environment (unlike a 2D game like Megaman X), so that's why games literally sit down and explain their mechanics. I get that it's slightly annoying but it's just anger gamer elitism.

edit: And Dungeon Keeper was fun, but they're the easiest games in the world and if you want to play a modern version, might I direct you to The Sims 4.

Touch the button that says touch here to touch the touch here button to touch here.

I get that some intro is necessary for a lot of complicated 3d games, but I do have a problem with a lot of it blowing back into incredibly simple games. Those games make megabucks though, so what do I know?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Chernabog posted:

And that's how Destiny was born.

I'd actually be willing to bet that was the original pitch for Destiny, but then with risk aversion came the chopping of features. You're not breaking some sort of NDA are you Sigma-X?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

leper khan posted:

I get that some intro is necessary for a lot of complicated 3d games, but I do have a problem with a lot of it blowing back into incredibly simple games. Those games make megabucks though, so what do I know?
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

Very few people have quit playing a game because the tutorial was condescending, but plenty have because they couldn't understand what to do. It's very much a "better safe than sorry" development pattern.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

Very few people have quit playing a game because the tutorial was condescending, but plenty have because they couldn't understand what to do. It's very much a "better safe than sorry" development pattern.

I think this is generally true, though there are notable exceptions. Final Fantasy XIII as an example has basically a 20 hour battle tutorial, and that definitely made me stop playing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Brackhar posted:

I think this is generally true, though there are notable exceptions. Final Fantasy XIII as an example has basically a 20 hour battle tutorial, and that definitely made me stop playing.

Similarly (among a host of other problems), I felt like Assassin's Creed 3 was teaching me about my abilities until I was about 75% of the way through the game.

The only time it really, really irritates me is when a game tries to have it's cake and eat it, too - you can't encourage exploration AND give constant prompting unless you just love making your players sink deep into audio fatigue. Games that refuse to recognize that when the cutscene ends, the first thing I'm probably going to do is run the exact opposite direction of the NPC who is guiding me through this location really need to run more external playtests.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
A few months back I was in this thread talking about my future plans. Applying for an engineering program that focuses on software and game technology development, leaving my old IT Engineering program. (Five year program) I got some advice some people in here and I would just like to say that I'm a month or so into this new program and I'm loving it. We're going to be learning to make our 3d engines from scratch and all of the tools that one might need to make a functional editor. All while keeping up with engineering standards. Our first programming course starts next month and I'm really excited. My ultimate goal would be to create animation systems, ideally something physics based like euphoria, so it is safe to say I'm looking forward to our AI programming course, sadly it is three years away. :v:

Anyone who has fiddled with physics based animation? Like Euphoria which is more AI driven or even something like this: http://goatstream.com/research/thesis/index.html

Also working on a small game with a friend, but sadly aim offsets in unreal 4 are giving me a great amount of grief. Slowly driving me insane.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

xzzy posted:

I adore this.

"A god game where you monetize cats to establish your brand." :allears:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I used to scoff at tutorials as well but after testing the first game I designed, I found that no matter how simple your game is, some people will still need it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how Halo did it, it adjusted the hand holding based on the difficulty level you selected.

An option to tell the game to piss off with the tutorials is always appreciated too. But with the trend of integrating the tutorial as part of the story I can understand why that isn't reasonable.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
The most brilliant game design tutorial thing, to me, is still how games ask you to look up at the start of the game, and then decides whether or not you want flight controls based on your response.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

The most brilliant game design tutorial thing, to me, is still how games ask you to look up at the start of the game, and then decides whether or not you want flight controls based on your response.

Yeah, that's really smart design.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

xzzy posted:

It's just a little harder to see I think because gaming is still a relatively young industry. Look towards Hollywood or fiction novels for more data.. the stuff that kids gobble up today is not any better or worse than what a random 40 year old grew up with, but I'd bet money that the old fart will look more favorably on older material.
I can see that, but I do think there's a case for it possibly being much more incremental than it once was. I would say that the same thing is true of Hollywood, Toy Story for instance was a much bigger deal at the time it came out than anything Pixar's put out since, and while I wasn't alive for them, the same was probably true of Star Wars and Wizard of Oz.

The fact that it's a young industry is actually why I think there is some merit to it. Anyone in their 30s or more remembers a time when games could barely do anything. It'd make sense that the time we'd see the most ground being broken is the time when there was barely any broken at all.

theflyingorc posted:

Honestly, I think it's a great thing to happen because it's made manuals basically obsolete, and it's a better way to teach players anyway because it's much more conducive to learning by doing. Practically every modern title is being made to be just picked up and played. It's not exactly a new thing either, Zelda:LttP did it.

There are definitely good and bad ways to have it though. I think I played something that had it be a skippable mission with a decent reward. God of War tried making an intro section as interesting as the rest of the game and it worked pretty well too.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 14, 2014

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

theflyingorc posted:

See, this is bullshit. The game should lock you out if you pick inverted, surely.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Someone please play War for the Overworld early access and tell me if it is bad thanks bye.

Brackhar posted:

Final Fantasy XIII as an example has basically a 20 hour battle tutorial, and that definitely made me stop playing.

FFXIII combat wasn't boring because it was a tutorial, it was boring because it is all about watching the fights play themselves out and the only "strategy" is paradigm shifting at the right time. On the flipside, the opposite situation of having to manually control all your characters all the time would be horribly tedious given the lack of ability variety compared to other FF games.

Jan fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 14, 2014

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Sion posted:

See, this is bullshit. The game should lock you out if you pick inverted, surely.

Kiss your mother with that mouth? That would get you fed to the hogs in these parts.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Sion posted:

My...my wife is an inverted player.

I know, it's so shameful. I guess I have to just live with her. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
:itisastudionamejoke: