Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So I'm not really excited about Zogwart as the first Ork warlord release. His second ability just makes the event to put snotlings into play much, much harder to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

S.J. posted:

So I'm not really excited about Zogwart as the first Ork warlord release. His second ability just makes the event to put snotlings into play much, much harder to use.

Zogwart just seems like a shittier Kyth to me.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

GrandpaPants posted:

Zogwart just seems like a shittier Kyth to me.

I disagree. He is pumping out Snotlings at a rate 3-4 times faster than Kith if you keep him in the battle. Then with his signature stuff he is pumping them out even faster. I am looking forward to trying him out.

I haven't played much with Kith yet, but from looking at the cards it seems like Snotlings can swarm a planet twice as fast as Kymera. The loss of the Snotlings afterward is unfortunate but you exploded with Snot fiercely enough, it shouldn't matter.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rusty Kettle posted:

I disagree. He is pumping out Snotlings at a rate 3-4 times faster than Kith if you keep him in the battle. Then with his signature stuff he is pumping them out even faster. I am looking forward to trying him out.

I haven't played much with Kith yet, but from looking at the cards it seems like Snotlings can swarm a planet twice as fast as Kymera. The loss of the Snotlings afterward is unfortunate but you exploded with Snot fiercely enough, it shouldn't matter.

Is this realistic, though? Do battles typically last more than 2 full rounds? I imagine at that point, it should be pretty obvious who is going to win, and then it's just a matter of deciding whether or not you want to bleed their units. Not to mention if a fight lasts that long, I get the feeling a Warlord would not want to be vulnerable to attacks for that long. I'm obviously not a master at this game, but it just seems to me that it's hard to do a long sustained fight with a Warlord present without putting that Warlord at risk. Although amusingly, if Zogwort gets bloodied, his Snotlings live on to fight another day, maybe.

Kith, on the other hand, is a 2/6 that puts a 2/1 into play on commitment. For no work besides committing a Warlord, you get 4 attack worth. Combined with her signature Khymeramasters and Beastmaster Wyches, you are making GBS threads out a lot of Khymera.

This is all completely moot if your opponent has area effect, obviously. One Tactical Squad Cardinis is a surprisingly effective counter for a lot of Dark Eldar...

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 9, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Is this realistic, though? Do battles typically last more than 2 full rounds? I imagine at that point, it should be pretty obvious who is going to win, and then it's just a matter of deciding whether or not you want to bleed their units. Not to mention if a fight lasts that long, I get the feeling a Warlord would not want to be vulnerable to attacks for that long. I'm obviously not a master at this game, but it just seems to me that it's hard to do a long sustained fight with a Warlord present without putting that Warlord at risk. Although amusingly, if Zogwort gets bloodied, his Snotlings live on to fight another day, maybe.

Kith, on the other hand, is a 2/6 that puts a 2/1 into play on commitment. For no work besides committing a Warlord, you get 4 attack worth. Combined with her signature Khymeramasters and Beastmaster Wyches, you are making GBS threads out a lot of Khymera.

This is all completely moot if your opponent has area effect, obviously. One Tactical Squad Cardinis is a surprisingly effective counter for a lot of Dark Eldar...

And this is why we use nullify and pre-battle action windows :v:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

S.J. posted:

And this is why we use nullify and pre-battle action windows :v:

Actually, speaking of Events, how the hell do you use Power from Pain effectively? I don't think the sacrificed unit even has to take place in the planet the fighting is taking on, so it doesn't necessarily have an effect on the battle taking place. The only thing I can think of is maybe just eating through their chump units so that I can at least maximize my 2 resources spent on it. I do love that events can be used as shields though, so that situational ones like this and the sweepers can at least have a purpose besides being a dead draw.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

GrandpaPants posted:

If you played this game more than twice, you have played it more than me. However, he'll put at a minimum two Snotlings down, which (barring area effect) seems like a free 2/2 unit. Then with his magic stick one is sticking around, and his supports bring out more. It seems reasonable that you could get 5-6 out at once mid to late game relatively easily.

Edit: also orcs seems like they will have lots of cards that make them beefier, so it seems like the support units will make this deck significantly less of a glass cannon.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 9, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Rusty Kettle posted:

If you played this game more than twice, you have played it more than me. However, he'll put at a minimum two Snotlings down, which (barring area effect) seems like a free 2/2 unit. Then with his magic stick one is sticking around, and his supports bring out more. It seems reasonable that you could get 5-6 out at once mid to late game relatively easily.

Edit: also orcs seems like they will have lots of cards that make them beefier, so it seems like the support units will make this deck significantly less of a glass cannon.

It's a minimum of one actually. There will be situations where you will commit your Warlord and then want to immediately retreat him.

GrandpaPants posted:

Actually, speaking of Events, how the hell do you use Power from Pain effectively? I don't think the sacrificed unit even has to take place in the planet the fighting is taking on, so it doesn't necessarily have an effect on the battle taking place. The only thing I can think of is maybe just eating through their chump units so that I can at least maximize my 2 resources spent on it. I do love that events can be used as shields though, so that situational ones like this and the sweepers can at least have a purpose besides being a dead draw.

Seems like it can quickly cause some early game swings - your opponent has to either sacrifice a dude at a planet he wants to fight at, or sac a dude at a planet he'd like to keep command presence at. That could be worth much more than 2 resources in the long run. Also remember that tokens are not army units, and so cannot be sacrificed for the effect. I think it's a good tempo card.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 9, 2014

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

GrandpaPants posted:

Power from Pain is pretty bad. Unless they spend their first turn to drop one giant unit, it doesn't really do anything. Right now, I'd say it's one DE card you should absolutely avoid. Black Heart Ravager is also another, really lackluster card. Run x3 Archon's Terror and Raids, those are the best DE events.

By the by, does anyone know a place in NJ where people can play Conquest? I'm looking at all the stores I know, but they seem to all run Magic and none of the LCGs. :(

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

By the by, does anyone know a place in NJ where people can play Conquest? I'm looking at all the stores I know, but they seem to all run Magic and none of the LCGs. :(

I go to Trotta's Hobbies. We've got a pretty healthy LCG group that comes in on Sundays.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Has anyone noticed some uncovered rules interactions yet? I'm wondering if various triggered effects will 'see' each other like they do in magic - if the unique chaos guy is at a planet that gets warpstormed and dies alongside enemy units, do you still put cultists into play? Or does the wording of his reaction imply that he needs to still be on the planet for the ability to trigger? I couldn't find anything about the timing of abilities that that would cover that situation.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

S.J. posted:

Has anyone noticed some uncovered rules interactions yet? I'm wondering if various triggered effects will 'see' each other like they do in magic - if the unique chaos guy is at a planet that gets warpstormed and dies alongside enemy units, do you still put cultists into play? Or does the wording of his reaction imply that he needs to still be on the planet for the ability to trigger? I couldn't find anything about the timing of abilities that that would cover that situation.

If I had to rule with absolutely no mastery of the rules, I'd say that since it's a Reaction, he has to be alive to, y'know, react.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The question is whether or not the trigger occurs at the same time as his death or aftewards if he dies at the same time as the opposing units. I'm assuming afterwards also, but I couldn't really find a clear answer in the rulebook. The rulebook doesn't say anything about issues with multiple units dying simultaneously, and I imagine they'll have to at some point even if it's just a clarification.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
In all board and card games, unless a rules clarification says otherwise, my house ruling is: 'if an event causes a number of sub-events to occur simultaneously without player involvement, the player who caused the first event chooses the order in which the sub-events occur'.

It is a universal house rule that covers more games than you would think. The 'without player involvement' part means that every sub-event would happen without any further actions, card plays, dice rolls, etc.

So in this case, the player would likely choose the order of events such that the cultist doesn't appear.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

In this case it looks as if whoever has initiative gets to decide:

Page 12 posted:

Priority of Simultaneous Resolution
[...]
If two or more effects would resolve simultaneously, the
player with the initiative determines the order in which
the effects resolve.
And because reactions occur immediately after their triggering conditions (unlike interrupts), you'd want to hold off on the Warpstorm if you didn't have initiative. (Assuming, of course, that you were trying to get more cultists instead of simply nuking everything for its own sake.)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

In this case it looks as if whoever has initiative gets to decide:

And because reactions occur immediately after their triggering conditions (unlike interrupts), you'd want to hold off on the Warpstorm if you didn't have initiative. (Assuming, of course, that you were trying to get more cultists instead of simply nuking everything for its own sake.)

The thing is, his reaction specifies after an enemy unit dies, so I don't think the dude would even qualify for the trigger since he'll be dead at the same time as them. Hence my confusion :v:. So from what I understand you'd Warpstorm -> everything dies -> the dude isn't at the planet anymore and so no trigger occurs???. I saw the part of the rulebook you're referencing, but it's specifically talking about multiple simultaneous triggers - in my example that doesn't really matter, since it's just going to be the same trigger occurring multiple times, at worst. I'm just curious about the timing of the reaction.

Actually, this thread is answering a different question but answers the timing concern that I had: http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/in...-dire-mutation/

So yes, he would be dead and no reaction would occur.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 10, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

S.J. posted:

The thing is, his reaction specifies after an enemy unit dies, so I don't think the dude would even qualify for the trigger since he'll be dead at the same time as them. Hence my confusion :v:. So from what I understand you'd Warpstorm -> everything dies -> the dude isn't at the planet anymore and so no trigger occurs???. I saw the part of the rulebook you're referencing, but it's specifically talking about multiple simultaneous triggers - in my example that doesn't really matter, since it's just going to be the same trigger occurring multiple times, at worst. I'm just curious about the timing of the reaction.

Actually, this thread is answering a different question but answers the timing concern that I had: http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/in...-dire-mutation/

So yes, he would be dead and no reaction would occur.

This is a counter-Magic:TG ruling. There is/was a precedent with Magic:The Gathering that cards with "goes to the graveyard" effects trigger when that card with the effect is put into the graveyard. This is something FFG feels is apparently dumb and is choosing to go the opposite way with for whatever reason.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Played another game of Warhammer Conquest today. Good lord are Tau ludicrous once they get going. Even a Repulsor Impact Field on a Fire Warrior Elite is a pretty huge goddamn wall of pain, doubly so with Stealth Cadre to boost its HP. So good.

I also learned that Repulsor Field's effect does not trigger on the killing blow.

Edit: Also, can a Comm Relay block a Black Heart Ravager's rout ability?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Played another game of Warhammer Conquest today. Good lord are Tau ludicrous once they get going. Even a Repulsor Impact Field on a Fire Warrior Elite is a pretty huge goddamn wall of pain, doubly so with Stealth Cadre to boost its HP. So good.

I also learned that Repulsor Field's effect does not trigger on the killing blow.

Edit: Also, can a Comm Relay block a Black Heart Ravager's rout ability?

No, because it's rout ability doesn't target, so there's no opportunity for the interrupt to trigger.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I've been playing a few games the last week since I picked up the box at the LCG, but people have been going on about how the Tau ambush platform doesn't give the discount when you play a stealth cadre. It took me looking it up on BGG before they would shut up about it.

I think a small FAQ is in order so that FFG can clarify some interactions as intended or not intended so we can just get on with playing without having to rules lawyer to the nth degree :orks:

*edit* Turns out it does give a discount after all because of some kind of condition that I can't really explain well.

Willeh fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 13, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Willeh posted:

*edit* Turns out it does give a discount after all because of some kind of condition that I can't really explain well.

Stealth Cadre turns into an attachment when it deploys, so you get the discount AND can deploy it as an action. Ambush platformed Gun Drones are likewise sick nasty. Shadowsun, however, is a "put into play" ability, so it doesn't work on the Gun Drones. Stealth Cadre works because it's specifically named.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Does the LOTR core box have enough for 3-4 players before I decide to go whole hog and get 3x cores?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PJOmega posted:

Does the LOTR core box have enough for 3-4 players before I decide to go whole hog and get 3x cores?

Isn't LotR a 1-2 player game?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

S.J. posted:

Isn't LotR a 1-2 player game?

You can play with up to 4. The core box can play 1-2 comfortably with some basic deck building. You can play 4 with a core box if you just use the four single sphere decks but theres no room for deck building.

There are only 2 Shadow Tracker dials in a core set, but its not too hard to just use a pencil and paper with more players if you don't have them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Oh, that's good to know. Thanks.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Would there be any interest in a PbP of the LOTR game? A long time ago I ran the first scenario of the Core Set for 4 players just using the single sphere decks. I can probably dig up my old OP and spreadsheet to showcase it again.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Would there be any interest in a PbP of the LOTR game? A long time ago I ran the first scenario of the Core Set for 4 players just using the single sphere decks. I can probably dig up my old OP and spreadsheet to showcase it again.

100% yes.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Spiders and Trolls and Nazgul! Oh My! is up! We'll just use the four starter decks and the first scenario to start with.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Spiders and Trolls and Nazgul! Oh My! is up! We'll just use the four starter decks and the first scenario to start with.

Nice! These summary sheets might help you out, too.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Asking in the LCG thread rather than the CCG one, so edited out my previous post:

Are there any goons invested into the A Game Of Thrones LCG? Everyone I know here in Manchester plays Netrunner, so I'm looking to offload a tonne of it to partially fund that, but partially just to make space. It's all rather sadly pristine with boxes, but if I can't get a game of it, I might as well get rid so I can play something people ARE playing locally.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
A lapsed goon friend of mine might be, I can check with him in a couple hours. He only has the core set and Lions of the Rock too, so he might be interested in a pile.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Hey guys, still going through the thread but a friend of mine is HUGE into 40k Conquest right now, and I've played half a dozen games and lose like a chump each time. I just can't seem to wrap my head around the strategy and was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a dummies guide to not losing all the time.

I'm usually not too bad at card games, I was fairly decent at Magic when I played so that makes this really frustrating to be a few games in and still very confused as to what I should do each turn.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

crime fighting hog posted:

Hey guys, still going through the thread but a friend of mine is HUGE into 40k Conquest right now, and I've played half a dozen games and lose like a chump each time. I just can't seem to wrap my head around the strategy and was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a dummies guide to not losing all the time.

I'm usually not too bad at card games, I was fairly decent at Magic when I played so that makes this really frustrating to be a few games in and still very confused as to what I should do each turn.

Check out Team Sandcrawla; they have some nice articles on strategy and videos of games that can help you out.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

That's exactly it! Thanks!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

What faction are you playing? There might be some cards your using that should be skipped, or must-have cards you might not be using.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

What faction are you playing? There might be some cards your using that should be skipped, or must-have cards you might not be using.

I mostly used Orks. I think my problem is overcommitting to the very first planet and not focusing on the long game. That and not playing enough so I don't know what a good starting hand looks like yet.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

What do you think is the reason you're losing all the time? Are you picking the wrong fights, lacking resources/cards, losing battles, etc.? Also are these your decks or his? And are they built with the same number of Core sets (this makes a huuuuuge difference)?

There are also some potentially kinda bad matchups. I don't imagine Dark Eldar doing too well against Space Marines, for example, considering the amount of Area Effect SM has.

Edit: I'm no expert, but I like opening hands with at least 1-2 solid combat units, plus 2+ planet cappers. With Tau, which is my main faction, I obviously need good attachments too, so I may mull if I don't get a Stealth Cadre or Ion Rifle or something. So an opening hand with some combination of Carnivore Packs, Vespid Swarms, Marksman + Ion Rifle/Stealth Cadre, Fire Team Elite + Repulsor/Stealth Cadre would account for the combat units, while the I would really like to have Recon Drones, Trailblazers, or really any 1-2 drop with a Command Icon as the cappers. Throw the cappers on planets 3-5, look at what you want your path of victory is through conquest and put combat units on those planets.

I have to say that a Turn 1 Fire Team Elite + Repulsor Field on First Planet is pretty harsh. There really isn't that much that can stand up to that, and then your Warlord has a solid bodyguard for the rest of the game.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 14, 2014

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I'm losing because I just have no loving clue towards strategy because I've played only maybe six games so far, so I was hoping to do some reading to help figure out what to do.

E: Plus my opponent knows his poo poo really well, he's the smartest guy I know personally and never pulls punches in board games/war games.

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 14, 2014

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
If the store I ordered from ever fills my order, I should have two core sets of Conquest by the end of the week. I don't know anyone who plays it yet and I am looking to convert people. Are there good resources for making some good starter decks that I can just hand to people and play with? I haven't actually played the game myself yet but I've watched some videos so I have a decent understanding, I'm just worried I might make lovely decks that aren't well balanced or always end up giving people bad decks and crushing them or not having a representative game. Ramble ramble help me goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Asking in the LCG thread rather than the CCG one, so edited out my previous post:

Are there any goons invested into the A Game Of Thrones LCG? Everyone I know here in Manchester plays Netrunner, so I'm looking to offload a tonne of it to partially fund that, but partially just to make space. It's all rather sadly pristine with boxes, but if I can't get a game of it, I might as well get rid so I can play something people ARE playing locally.

If you were willing to ship to Australia, I was just thinking about getting into it, and it'd probably be easier for me to buy a bulk collection. Though I get the feeling the shipping costs could be ridiculous.