Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

420 Gank Mid posted:

and of course

:ca:

Ouch, West Virginia.

Have some nonsensical beer maps whose metric I don't understand at all:

"This site posted:

The below map shows the relative prevalence of the word for beer in the world's ten most spoken languages (by # of native speakers). However, because of the fact that there were no points at which the number of references in the world's sixth most-spoken language, Bengali, were greater than references to each of the other nine languages, we have excluded Bengali in this particular case. So while we're sad to see Bengali left off the map, the fact that a language with 181 million native speakers has so few references to "beer" is telling of either vast inequalities in the way Bengalis are represented within the geoweb, or perhaps just their general distaste for beer.

quote:

Zooming in to Europe only further accentuates the relative dominance of English among these languages, with significant portions of Portugal, Spain, and Germany even showing more references to beer than in their native languages. Interesting, however, that much of France is a mixture of English and German references, even in the much more southern portions of the country.

And then they posted this as a follow-up:

quote:

Because simply mapping references to beer in the world’s most spoken languages yielded a relatively homogeneous result due to the significant number of references to “beer” and “ale” in English, we thought a more locally specific analysis would be appropriate. So we instead mapped references to beer in twelve languages spoken primarily in Europe that were not included in our earlier map. And while this map obviously doesn’t include all of the many languages spoken on the continent, these languages were chosen because of their relative prominence within a larger sample of languages.

quote:

Despite the usefulness of this particular grouping, it remains useful to consider how some of the most spoken languages in the world stack up to these more country-specific languages, so in the map below we reintroduce references in English, as well as references in German, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish, to some of Europe’s more widely spoken tongues.

While this graphic complicates the picture provided by our first map — there continues to be a significant amount of content in the expected, native languages of each country — English remains prominent throughout Europe, especially in reference to beer.

How nice of them to not explain how they counted the references in the various languages. I'm just going to assume they've pulled it out of their rear end. And gee, I wonder why Germans use the Dutch word for beer so much?

Oh :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

System Metternich posted:

How nice of them to not explain how they counted the references in the various languages. I'm just going to assume they've pulled it out of their rear end. And gee, I wonder why Germans use the Dutch word for beer so much?

Oh :rolleye:
Baaja isn't a variant of the word beer, but of the Danish word bajer, which itself comes from the Danish word for a Bavarian. Still, at least this map is pretty clear in what it's trying to communicate.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yeah I mean those maps are nonsense if they just settled for an internet search with the strings "beer" and "ale." The Finnish word ale is a shorthand for a sale (stuff being discounted in a shop), for instance!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The fact that they found so few references for beer on Bengali language sites may also might also be connected to the fact that the majority of Bengali speakers live in Bangladesh, a state where all manners of alcoholic beverages are outlawed with the exception of a handful of restaurants serving western tourists. That said, a search for the Bengali term for beer still yields 315,000 results.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

I've literally never seen this supposed "BOYLAN'S" for New Jersey. I've known several very small amount of town distribution area soft drinks in New Jersey like BOOST (which is really good) but loving Boylan's??? Never seen it by my grandparents in North Jersey, never seen it near Rutgers, never seen it at the shore or in South Jersey.

I see Boylan's all the time here in Vancouver, Canada. It's the best soda you can get around here, I especially like their birch beer. I didn't realize Blue Sky was from New Mexico either, we get that stuff here too and it's pretty good, and relatively cheap.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Jehde posted:

I see Boylan's all the time here in Vancouver, Canada. It's the best soda you can get around here, I especially like their birch beer. I didn't realize Blue Sky was from New Mexico either, we get that stuff here too and it's pretty good, and relatively cheap.

It's pretty common in California too. Funny how a dude the from state it's supposedly most prevalent in doesn't recognize it, but people on the other side of the continent do.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

I've literally never seen this supposed "BOYLAN'S" for New Jersey. I've known several very small amount of town distribution area soft drinks in New Jersey like BOOST (which is really good) but loving Boylan's??? Never seen it by my grandparents in North Jersey, never seen it near Rutgers, never seen it at the shore or in South Jersey.

Counterpoint: I have lived almost my whole life in NJ, and I have definitely seen Boylan's around. There's a good local diner that sells it instead of larger brands.

I don't think it's any more common than other "small" brands though, like Jones or whatever.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, there is no direct transaction fee for the most common debit cards here either, instead it's a subscription, which might have an effect? This is what the payment system looks like:

Trying to hit the exact number of yearly transactions that puts you in a lower bracket seems like it could be a huge bother, even before taking into account that this means lost revenue too. I don't know how shops really deal with it though, but it seems to work out fine.

That was what I was thinking. The interaction between the law and corporations trying to squeeze as much money out of people as possible always seem to do result in companies doing things the most annoying way imaginable whenever the discussion falls on the US.

Just FYI, the fees to the retailer for running a card as debit instead of credit are extremely low in the US. Before a set of laws passed in around 2009-2011, the average percentage paid on a debit transaction was somewhere around 1.5% with a few cents minimum fee (I think about 8-10 cents on most networks?). Now there's a slightly smaller minimum fee and the average percentage paid is around 0.8%.

For this reason most retailers in the US will encourage customers to use debit cards in debit mode, and credit cards in debit mode when possible, over using either in credit mode.

Third Murderer posted:

Counterpoint: I have lived almost my whole life in NJ, and I have definitely seen Boylan's around. There's a good local diner that sells it instead of larger brands.

I don't think it's any more common than other "small" brands though, like Jones or whatever.

Ok, but like, where? What counties/towns?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I too have lived in NJ and do not know of this soda.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

cebrail posted:

They didn't just simplify them, they hosed them up. They could have divided them into Lutheran, Reformed/Calvinist, Baptist and Anglican, or they could have called them all Protestant, but what they did is calling the same denomination Lutheran in America and Protestant in Europe, while also using Protestant in other parts of North America. It doesn't make any sense at all.

European Protestants are just crypto-Papists anyhow. REAL Protestants moved to America. :911:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Letmebefrank posted:

European Protestants are just crypto-Papists anyhow. REAL Protestants moved to America. :911:

The crypto-Papist are the Anglicans.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The crypto-Papist are the Anglicans.
Does that work like how some fringe Fundamentalists believe that Catholics worship the Sun God Ba'al without realizing, because the Pope steals the prayers of Catholics and redirects them to demons (possibly using his hat)? Does the Archbishop of Canterbury or the Queen of England do the same for Anglicans?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Guavanaut posted:

Does that work like how some fringe Fundamentalists believe that Catholics worship the Sun God Ba'al without realizing, because the Pope steals the prayers of Catholics and redirects them to demons (possibly using his hat)? Does the Archbishop of Canterbury or the Queen of England do the same for Anglicans?

Close. The Archbishop of Canterbury and the Queen of England are sending Anglican prayers to the Pope, who then relays them to the Sun God Ba'al (PBUH).

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Jehde posted:

We get Boylan's here as well (Sweden, bum gently caress nowhere) for some reason. I have no idea why.

They're alright as far as soft drinks are concerned, but cane sugar is pretty much ubiquitous (am I using this word right?) here, so it's basically just expensive coke, kinda. :confused:

e: Even weirder is it's marketed as being "retro", which must mean we're stuck in time or something.

Somewhat related to mapchat: there's also been a huge upswing for American made craft beer here lately. Much less strange all things considered.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 13, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Anglicanism is to Catholicism as England is to the EU.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Since VII a lot of my relatives will comment on how they feel "more at home" during an Anglican service. They won't hop over for the same reason they won't become sedivecantists. They recognize that a living church changes and that it really isn't their place to question the church hierarchy -- not even if, but especially when they disagree with it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Shbobdb posted:

Since VII a lot of my relatives will comment on how they feel "more at home" during an Anglican service. They won't hop over for the same reason they won't become sedivecantists. They recognize that a living church changes and that it really isn't their place to question the church hierarchy -- not even if, but especially when they disagree with it.

I read this initially interpreting "VII" as Victoria II and was wondering how the hell that affected your family's religious preferences. Then I imagined what an entire family of Paradox fans would be like.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm like the only goon in this thread who hasn't played paradox, so I'm routinely confused.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Anglicanism is to Catholicism as England is to the EU.
Neither are real countries, but there are a bunch of people who pretend really hard that they are?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shbobdb posted:

I'm like the only goon in this thread who hasn't played paradox, so I'm routinely confused.

This problem has an obvious (and fun!) solution.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
At some point, I'll have a sweet computer I can play games on again. I'm very excited about that time.

(It is never going to happen)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

At some point, I'll have a sweet computer I can play games on again. I'm very excited about that time.

(It is never going to happen)

Congratulations on being a productive, adult member of society. You've finally joined the club (i'm not a member unfortunately)

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 14, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Paradox games are hardly resource intensive as long as you're not still running a P4.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've got a work computer I can't install games on (and when I cheat and try, it can barely run the original X-com) and my wife's 2008 macbook with a cracked screen and a modded version of FTL that is taking up all the space I can reasonably claim on her computer.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Paradox games take up maybe a gig of space tops however you will start a game and then find out you've just spent 10 hours trying to expand your empire and gently caress over your rivals and it's almost time to go to work.

It's crazy addictive. Especially for history/map nerds.

3peat
May 6, 2010

GDP per capita of romanian counties, and countries with closest GDP/capita to each

I was born in Cuba and now live in Libya :D

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Care to translate "Liban" and "Malaiezia"?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Peanut President posted:

Lebanon and Malaysia.

Right?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

my dad posted:

Lebanon and Malaysia.

Right?

Hahah I actually sounded it out when I was reading the map too. "Male-asia" nope never heard of it. :downs:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

Malaysia and probably Lebanon?

Name that map!

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

cebrail posted:

They didn't just simplify them, they hosed them up. They could have divided them into Lutheran, Reformed/Calvinist, Baptist and Anglican, or they could have called them all Protestant, but what they did is calling the same denomination Lutheran in America and Protestant in Europe, while also using Protestant in other parts of North America. It doesn't make any sense at all.

That light red part that's labelled Lutheran in the US is actually mostly Lutheran since lots of Germans and Scandinavians settled there, just like the light red part in the South is mostly Baptist. The dark red areas are just generic Protestant since no one denomination dominates. The map maker probably just didn't bother to look up what denominations dominate in various countries of Europe (which was really loving lazy of them, since it's easier to find than the US data), so they left it as the generic dark red.

Lycus posted:

So who settled in that little bit of Catholicism in Alaska?

The US map looks like it's on a county by country basis, which is why you have little splotches of orange in the Midwest (Cincinnati, St Louis, and looks like Kansas City as well). That orange splotch is Alaska looks like the Wade Hampton Census Area, which has like 7,500 people, 90% of whom are Yupik. I guess a more of them got converted to Catholicism or something :shrug:

ChipNDip fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 14, 2014

3peat
May 6, 2010

my dad posted:

Lebanon and Malaysia.

Right?

Yes

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ekuNNN posted:

Name that map!

Uniform fetishists per 10000 people.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ekuNNN posted:

Name that map!

Cigars smoked per capita?

edit: Actually, no way, we're closer to 3000 in that regard. Hmm...

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Total vodka sales (in tonnes)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

Total vodka sales (in tonnes)

Turkey wouldn't beat Poland.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Coffee usage.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just tell us :eng99:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hogge Wild posted:

Uniform fetishists per 10000 people.

Almost correct! It's cops per 100k people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Hmmmmm . . .

Anise based liquors? Russians love to drink, so I'm figuring they could still take the top on that one and then you've got aquardiente in S America.