Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Certis Baliano
Sep 21, 2010

Mystic eyes of charm
I'm having second doubts about my amp-buying again.

I mean, why would I buy a 500 Watt amp if I'll never actually use it to its potential? Every person in the band doesn't have their own massive racks through which they'll blast their sound to the crowd, right? The sound would be all over that way if bass rack is on the left and guitar rack is on the right, for example. It would also make managing levels a nightmare. I don't actually know if that's the way most rock concerts are being performed, but doesn't everyone just have a small monitor for themselves, allowing their signal to go to the PA mix, ensuring an even distribution of sound everywhere?

Almost every single place in my town has a great PA system. So I could just use a small practice amp as my onstage monitor and as a preamp. The signal from there would go to the sound guy's mixer, from there to his power amp and from there to the PA speakers.

Even if there's no PA, let's say in a random shed where we want to hold practise. It would still be more practical for everyone to send their signal to a mixer and from there, to speakers. Of course, they could have their own monitors, but still.

So... I'm thinking that I should buy a good mixer and a power amp instead of the Terror Bass. Unless I can somehow use the Terror Bass both as a preamp and a poweramp (I know that it contains both but I want to do as in my example).

Example: guitar > Terror Bass preamp > mixer (with signals from other instruments as well) > Terror Bass power amp > speakers.

If anything I said doesn't make sense or is wrong, please correct me. I want to understand the backstage part of the musical world.

Certis Baliano fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Looks like the Terror has an FX loop which is exactly what you want. FX Send comes out after the Preamp and FX Return goes into the power amp. I'm no pro but I've seen plenty of youtube videos where people setup guitar signal chains exactly like that. You can even ABY a dry signal into your mixer as well as the preamp's wet signal then mix them together, reamp and go nuts with modelling software.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

What's the best way to build up speed on bass? I used to play with a pick but now I'm probably going to opt for two fingers (along with the thumb for some banjo roll stuff I'm bringing over from guitar) and I'm wondering if anyone has any particular exercises that are good or if I'm stuck just running up and down scales until I'm legendary

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Declan MacManus posted:

What's the best way to build up speed on bass? I used to play with a pick but now I'm probably going to opt for two fingers (along with the thumb for some banjo roll stuff I'm bringing over from guitar) and I'm wondering if anyone has any particular exercises that are good or if I'm stuck just running up and down scales until I'm legendary

Do you like Iron Maiden?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Verizian posted:

Looks like the Terror has an FX loop which is exactly what you want. FX Send comes out after the Preamp and FX Return goes into the power amp. I'm no pro but I've seen plenty of youtube videos where people setup guitar signal chains exactly like that. You can even ABY a dry signal into your mixer as well as the preamp's wet signal then mix them together, reamp and go nuts with modelling software.

I think that's only the case if it's a serial effects loop (which it most likely is). Parallel effects loop Send/Returns are different from Pre-Out/Power-In. Again, it's more than likely serial, but there is a difference.

Along the same lines, a Pre-Out/Power-In can be used as a serial effects loop if it's all your amp has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpNWcYUg6TI

edit: For example, my B2R has both an effects loop, and Pre-Out/Power-In jacks. I could use the Pre/Power jacks to run an serial effects loop, power a slave setup, or simply bypass my onboard pre with an external one, and just use the power section.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't not be able to run a slave/master setup with just the effects loop on my setup...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 1, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Do you like Iron Maiden?

So I guess just two fingers are out unless I use my thumb to play those triplets

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've read a Steve Harris Q&A where he says that he only uses two fingers, and that the key to getting the triplets up to speed is relaxing your hand and not forcing it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Declan MacManus posted:

You should be playing with a metronome (edit: or drummer, or drum machine) as much as possible anyway. But you've gotta use a metronome. Pick a fast song you like, one that's too fast for you to play now, and play it slower with a metronome. Start as slow as you can go comfortably, work your way up to the song's tempo gradually (might take a few days or more!).

That's one way, at least. I'm bad about the metronome thing but recently got back in the habit and gently caress. Makes such a huge difference.

Re: Triplets... Once you get used to two-finger plucking, it won't be such a big deal. Also, personally, really glad to hear someone abandoning the pick to learn to play bass Properly.

Manky fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 1, 2014

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

So I guess just two fingers are out unless I use my thumb to play those triplets

Ring finger if you need to use three (that's what i do for those triplets), you would not want to use your thumb there.

Manky posted:

ets... Once you get used to two-finger plucking, it won't be such a big deal. Also, personally, really glad to hear someone abandoning the pick to learn to play bass Properly.

Nothing wrong with using a pick and anyone who thinks it's improper or makes someone less of a 'real bass player' is an rear end in a top hat

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

Ring finger if you need to use three (that's what i do for those triplets), you would not want to use your thumb there.

Nothing wrong with using a pick and anyone who thinks it's improper or makes someone less of a 'real bass player' is an rear end in a top hat

When I first got my Mustang, my drummer posted a pic of me playing it and I was using a pick, because gently caress it it was a punk song. His old bassist started talking poo poo which was weird to me because hey man, why not learn how to play with both?

My picking is falling behind my plucking though. Comfortably playing well-accented notes quickly on thicker strings when I'm still used to my guitar.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Certis Baliano posted:

I'm having second doubts about my amp-buying again.

I mean, why would I buy a 500 Watt amp if I'll never actually use it to its potential? Every person in the band doesn't have their own massive racks through which they'll blast their sound to the crowd, right? The sound would be all over that way if bass rack is on the left and guitar rack is on the right, for example. It would also make managing levels a nightmare. I don't actually know if that's the way most rock concerts are being performed, but doesn't everyone just have a small monitor for themselves, allowing their signal to go to the PA mix, ensuring an even distribution of sound everywhere?

Almost every single place in my town has a great PA system. So I could just use a small practice amp as my onstage monitor and as a preamp. The signal from there would go to the sound guy's mixer, from there to his power amp and from there to the PA speakers.

Even if there's no PA, let's say in a random shed where we want to hold practise. It would still be more practical for everyone to send their signal to a mixer and from there, to speakers. Of course, they could have their own monitors, but still.

So... I'm thinking that I should buy a good mixer and a power amp instead of the Terror Bass. Unless I can somehow use the Terror Bass both as a preamp and a poweramp (I know that it contains both but I want to do as in my example).

Example: guitar > Terror Bass preamp > mixer (with signals from other instruments as well) > Terror Bass power amp > speakers.

If anything I said doesn't make sense or is wrong, please correct me. I want to understand the backstage part of the musical world.

I don't really know that much about it, but I'm pretty sure that bass amps need a lot more amps to equal the same volume as a guitar. A 1000 watt bass amplifier should roughly compete with what, a 150 watt blackstar? If that? I think it's actually lower, like 100 watt. Don't see 500 watts for a bass amp = 500 watts for a guitar amp.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

The output of a bass amp and that of a guitar amp differ because the amount of power necessitated to push a lower frequency, while maintaining headroom. A 150w amplifier is fine for a guitar because you're probably just going to crank up the gain of the pre-amp past the point of distortion anyway, guitar distortion is a staple of the rock sound, right? Tube amps are even more forgiving in this way, because the output and compression character of the tubes allows you to drive it harder without that distortion sounding like hot garbage.

Bass requires more power just to be audible, because the low frequencies are already so weak in our perception of acoustics. You apply even more power to get a sound loud enough for a large room, and you've got the wind pulsating around you and things are starting to shake. And, when you finally start to hit that pre-amp breakup, it's not going to sound cool.

If you want to rely completely on house address systems, then you would want to just get a guitar amp and play the guitar through that, and play your bass through the PA. You'll want to make sure that those setups are managed by a guy who know's what he's doing. I mean just plugging your bass into, say, your singer's PA would probably either be too quiet or you would drive the sound too much and blow out the speakers.

The same rule applies if you want to use your own set up with a single amplifier and cabinet(s). Your output is then limited by what cabinet(s) you're using. If it's a cab rated at 200w, you're not going to get the same output as one rated at 800w, and you'll probably blow it out if you drive it too hard.

A 500w amp, along with a properly rated cabinet, will be audible at home, in practice, in small rooms, in large rooms and outdoors. It will make both instruments audible, but don't expect any overdrive. If you want that, then you'd have to get a preamp or a pedal for your guitar chain.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 2, 2014

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

Thought about making it clearer that I was being disingenuous, hoped that emphasizing my "personal" opinion would do it.

But if someone is a guitarist who picked up a bass and never tried playing with fingers, he/she is less of a bass player. :colbert:

fake edit: not in the mood. Everything is good, nobody is wrong

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
the bass terror just sounds good. it's got the punch you need if you're playing in a place where it's not feasible to run the bass through the pa (these places exist) and it sounds good on low volumes for places where you gotta use the pa only. you don't always NEED the 500 watts, but they're real nice when you do.

also the bass terrors FX loop is too hot, it's a type fault and according to most sound guys, it's unusable. either mic it or use a DI box.

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

Declan MacManus posted:

Juaguocio posted:

I've read a Steve Harris Q&A where he says that he only uses two fingers, and that the key to getting the triplets up to speed is relaxing your hand and not forcing it.

FancyMike posted:

Two fingers pretty easy actually if you use your index and middle with a light touch.
The other part of the 'key' is to use your middle then index for the 1st two beats, and have your middle hit the string (think flamenco finger nail style) for the 3rd beat when you raise both fingers.
My middle finger is longer than my index, and on the upstroke my index easily clears the string without hitting it. This technique may not work so well for you werewolf freaks.

I tried for a long while to use two fingers with a down stroke only and I got pretty fast but I could never finish a song without being in pain by the end. Then I realized that Steve has been at this (now) for nearly 40 years, and his career would have been ended by tendinitis long ago if he was doing it the same way I was trying, so he MUST be doing something different.

Try getting the triplets to work slowly at first. It took me two nights or so to be able to get my right hand playing triplets faster than my left hand could keep up with... and without any pain.

Certis Baliano
Sep 21, 2010

Mystic eyes of charm

Jeff Goldblum posted:

The output of a bass amp and that of a guitar amp differ because the amount of power necessitated to push a lower frequency, while maintaining headroom. A 150w amplifier is fine for a guitar because you're probably just going to crank up the gain of the pre-amp past the point of distortion anyway, guitar distortion is a staple of the rock sound, right? Tube amps are even more forgiving in this way, because the output and compression character of the tubes allows you to drive it harder without that distortion sounding like hot garbage.

Bass requires more power just to be audible, because the low frequencies are already so weak in our perception of acoustics. You apply even more power to get a sound loud enough for a large room, and you've got the wind pulsating around you and things are starting to shake. And, when you finally start to hit that pre-amp breakup, it's not going to sound cool.

If you want to rely completely on house address systems, then you would want to just get a guitar amp and play the guitar through that, and play your bass through the PA. You'll want to make sure that those setups are managed by a guy who know's what he's doing. I mean just plugging your bass into, say, your singer's PA would probably either be too quiet or you would drive the sound too much and blow out the speakers.

The same rule applies if you want to use your own set up with a single amplifier and cabinet(s). Your output is then limited by what cabinet(s) you're using. If it's a cab rated at 200w, you're not going to get the same output as one rated at 800w, and you'll probably blow it out if you drive it too hard.

A 500w amp, along with a properly rated cabinet, will be audible at home, in practice, in small rooms, in large rooms and outdoors. It will make both instruments audible, but don't expect any overdrive. If you want that, then you'd have to get a preamp or a pedal for your guitar chain.

I have two 200W 8 ohm cabinets which have three different sized cones (don't know what the technical term is) along with a controller which makes sure that the low frequencies go to the big one, the middle ones to the medium sized one and high ones to the small one. A also have a separate power amp which is not powerful enough to utilize the full power of those speakers. Since I have them stored in another town and my memory is not too good, I can't be sure what its exact Wattage is.

Using the amp with household music players such as a CD player, I've had to keep the volume extremely low. Even when I moved them to another town (a village, really), where I could actually crank up the sound, I turned it up about a quarter. It was just too loud. The sound was everywhere. In fact, I had to keep your distance in order for me to not go deaf. Those speakers used to be in a club before where they were used as PA speakers.

Since bass takes more power to achieve a decent volume, perhaps I could turn the volume knob half-way or even three quarters in, then just decrease the volume of my guitar and microphone using the mixer. The 500W bass vs 150W guitar is the exact problem what a mixer is for, right? So I could balance out all the levels, then just amplify everything so people would actually hear it through the speakers.

Even though I'm not utilizing the full Wattage nor volume of those speakers, they're incredibly loud. Where on Earth would I need that more power than that? A stage bigger than a regular-sized club? Well, that place would definitely have their own PA set up there (as does every venue I've looked at in this town).

Besides coloring my sound, a preamp just amplifies my input to the standard level. The power amp I have wants 1V.

Am I not getting something? Why would I need a separate preamp + power amp combo, such as the Terror Bass. 200W is incredibly loud as it is. And even if it wasn't - for some reason - those places would have a PA system, which would include their own 1000W power amp and speakers.

Thus my logic is as follows: I could use a real mixer or a DAW with an audio interface (which includes a strong preamp and plenty of inputs). If I need the boost, I could send my current Orange's combo amp's line out to an audio interface.

Guitar/Bass > preamp > audio interface
Microphone > audio interface
Audio interface > mixer (DAW) > to the sound guy

Or if I'm my own sound guy, then Audio interface > mixer (DAW) > power amp > speakers.

Why would I spend 600€ on an amp if I have it already (in two parts, as a pre- and a power amp)? I could use that money to buy a better audio interface and/or a mixer. If my laptop would act as a mixer, then I also make my effect-usage easier to manage.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but the more I think, the less reason I see for buying a separate "rack amp".

Certis Baliano fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 2, 2014

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
well, ppl use all kinds of setups. some ppl only bring a pre amp and play from the pa (for that, you need enough monitors. often there's only 1 or 2 monitors and usually the singer & drummer need them more). me, I'd rather get a good amp that gives me a good tone that i know will be there even if the venue has no pa and the sound guy is passed out on his mixer. less is more, and if you can get a good tone with as little gear you need.

I mean have you heard what an ad200b can sound like even at low volumes? or an ampeg? there's a reason big rear end tube amps are still amps pros use. the bass terror is pretty close to that sound, since it has two tubes in the pre amp. it's got the best size / sound / price value I've run into.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 2, 2014

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Manky posted:

Thought about making it clearer that I was being disingenuous, hoped that emphasizing my "personal" opinion would do it.

But if someone is a guitarist who picked up a bass and never tried playing with fingers, he/she is less of a bass player. :colbert:

Had a guy after I finished a set once talking at me for several minutes about how bass players shouldn't use picks and that successful musicians don't have beards. It was weird

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

FancyMike posted:

Had a guy after I finished a set once talking at me for several minutes about how bass players shouldn't use picks and that successful musicians don't have beards. It was weird

I want to punch that guy.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

FancyMike posted:

successful musicians don't have beards

He probably also thinks that modern rock is still a viable genre.[/zztopfedora]

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Manky posted:

I started out on guitar playing with my thumb and fingers, then did that on bass for a while, switched to a pick for both, and now I'm abandoning the pick for both. I'm taking a kitchen sink approach but my index and middle will probably be my bread and butter

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Declan MacManus posted:

I started out on guitar playing with my thumb and fingers, then did that on bass for a while, switched to a pick for both, and now I'm abandoning the pick for both. I'm taking a kitchen sink approach but my index and middle will probably be my bread and butter

In all seriousness, I really don't hold that there's any right or best way to play an instrument. If you're happiest playing bass by smacking on it with wooden dowels, go for it - it sounds rad.

Maybe a third the time I play bass I play one-fingered like some rear end in a top hat Jamerson wannabe.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Practice builds speed really unless you want to do the whole flick two fingers up and down strings "flipper" technique. Thumb is good if you need to hit some lower string but I tend to use it mostly as an anchor and rely on index, middle and throw in the ring finger for triplets.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Also pinky because why not? The other fingers get all the fun so why not give it the thrill of a lifetime by using now and again.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Also pinky because why not? The other fingers get all the fun so why not give it the thrill of a lifetime by using now and again.

My pinky is a retarded idiot bitch fucker who stays on the sidelines

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Have any SWR users ever messed around with their effects loop, like plugging rack units into it? I've got a pre-X 350, and I recently started plugging a PreSonus BlueMax compressor into the back. I know it's a subtle effect, but I can't seem to figure out where to set the Effects Blend. Around 2 or 3 o'clock, it starts to pull down the overall volume, and when its maxed, it kills the signal altogether (probably because full Effects Blend bypasses the preamp).

Don't have much experience with compressors, I've just had a free U in the rack and I was looking to occupy it with something. I figure a compressor might be good for keeping dynamics steady during shows, or maybe it'd provide a good compressed signal to put through other effects to put in the chain, maybe another half-rack unit?

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

What are your settings on the compressor? Your threshold may be too low. Does it have a limiter or gate? Is it getting adequate power?

For reference I use a dbx 166a with my SWR 350x. The only other thing I can think of is a bad patch.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Ferroque posted:

What are your settings on the compressor? Your threshold may be too low. Does it have a limiter or gate? Is it getting adequate power?

For reference I use a dbx 166a with my SWR 350x. The only other thing I can think of is a bad patch.

I can't speak for the exact values, so I'll post the settings. The compressor does not have a limiter on it, no.is described as a compressor/limiter but not both, I believe.

I basically tried to set the values to what the manual described as the preset for Fretted 1: a ratio of about 2.6:1, attack of ~45ms, but with a longer release as some people said I wasn't getting long enough sustain out of my notes at the last performance. It also indicated a threshold of -4.4db, which I did not see, but I noticed that my Gain Reduction averages in the -5db area.

Does the 350x have an effects blend control? Pull-pot defeat?

EDIT:______________________________
|Haha, never noticed that, myself.
|What do you set your blend to with
|the DBX in the loop?
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 7, 2014

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Does the 350x have an effects blend control? Pull-pot defeat?
I have a 350x and yes, it has an effects blend control. There's no reason to have a defeat on it since that would be the same as turning the knob all the way to the left.

Pulling out on the knob actually defeats the limiter, not the effects loop.

Actuary X fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 7, 2014

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Cover art is done for the EP and we're sending in the final materials to have the discs/jackets made. Hopefully we'll be ready for distro by the end of the month :pervert:

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world
So I've got a Fender Jazz MIJ that I like a lot, and when I bought it used from a music store here I loved the sound of it. I could have sworn when I took it home that it sounded just as good on the DI that I use for recording, but I haven't had much to do on bass for the few months since I got it and it's mainly been sitting around while I play guitar instead.

Fast forward to now, I try the bass out again and I've got a crazy amount of buzz that goes away (or at least gets manageable) when I touch the control plate. Touching the strings makes no difference. Also, it sounds like I'm occasionally hearing a sort of static discharge noise if I brush against the pole pieces at all. Looking online, this usually happens when the ground connection between the bridge and the tone pot (or in the case of my bass, the volume pot for one of the pickups) is bad.

I checked, and there's no continuity between the control plate and the bridge. I also popped the bridge off and tried checking continuity between the wire beneath it and the grounding plate under the control plate, and no luck there either. It seems like that could be the problem, is it possible to pull the wire out and replace it?

Edit: man, according to the internet on some of these basses there's supposed to be a plate that runs between the bridge pickup and the bridge and connects the ground; I'm guessing mine had one at one point because there's a little piece of wire sticking out from the bridge pickup but someone must have taken it off at one point. Does it seem reasonable to go back to where I bought it from and ask them if they can install a new plate or give me one to put in myself?

Mradyfist fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 11, 2014

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Mradyfist posted:

I try the bass out again and I've got a crazy amount of buzz that goes away (or at least gets manageable) when I touch the control plate. Touching the strings makes no difference. Also, it sounds like I'm occasionally hearing a sort of static discharge noise if I brush against the pole pieces at all.

Had this same situation yesterday with my MiM, took it to my tech and he replaced the input jack and it was good as new. Third one I've gone through. If it were any of the wiring issues you brought up, they would have been noticeable when you first bought it. And that plate you mentioned is for controlling the hum associated with single coil pickups and it is a mod, not standard for Fender, as far as I know. A replacement jack is a quick and cheap replacement if you're going to do it yourself, but if you can't identify the problem specifically, it couldn't hurt to drop $10-15 on a professional repair.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

My tiny amp I got with babbys first bass kit from Ibanez is dead, and this makes me sad.

Anyway, the strap I got with this thing is a piece of poo poo that keeps sliding off, so I'm looking for a new one so I can play while standing without fear of my bass smashing into the floor. Any suggestions?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Strap locks. I use the Dunlop ones on all my guitars. Never a problem.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

organburner posted:

My tiny amp I got with babbys first bass kit from Ibanez is dead, and this makes me sad.

Anyway, the strap I got with this thing is a piece of poo poo that keeps sliding off, so I'm looking for a new one so I can play while standing without fear of my bass smashing into the floor. Any suggestions?

https://www.couchguitarstraps.com

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

This is absolutely the right answer, I just got one of their seatbelt straps (for $22 too, not even an expensive strap) and it's the best strap I've ever used. It slides smoothly over any kind of clothing, so you can pull the neck up to your eyeballs to stare at your amazing fingering and then flip your guitar head down behind your back when you're done, and it never messes up your shirt.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Had this same situation yesterday with my MiM, took it to my tech and he replaced the input jack and it was good as new. Third one I've gone through. If it were any of the wiring issues you brought up, they would have been noticeable when you first bought it. And that plate you mentioned is for controlling the hum associated with single coil pickups and it is a mod, not standard for Fender, as far as I know. A replacement jack is a quick and cheap replacement if you're going to do it yourself, but if you can't identify the problem specifically, it couldn't hurt to drop $10-15 on a professional repair.

I don't know man, I tried making a little plug out of aluminum foil to go from the wire under the bridge pickup to the bridge, and as long as it's connecting those two and I'm touching the strings the noise is gone. I think I need that plate, or I guess I could just tape this foil in place and call it good.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
so after sitting around for a bit, I picked up my bass and now the neck pickup sounds much weaker than it was.

is their anything that could have caused this besides looking to make sure all the wires have a solid connection?

I have contemplated just getting new pickups but it's a 72 eb3 clone so would prefer to keep it stock if possible.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Smash it Smash hit posted:

so after sitting around for a bit, I picked up my bass and now the neck pickup sounds much weaker than it was.

is their anything that could have caused this besides looking to make sure all the wires have a solid connection?

I have contemplated just getting new pickups but it's a 72 eb3 clone so would prefer to keep it stock if possible.

Could just be a bad pickup. I had the same thing happen with my Lakland hollowbody back in the day. Ultimately just had to have it replaced. Hopefully it's just a connection issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Not sure if I'd really have any use for it, but this Sonic Spark pedal/eq from Basswitch seems pretty sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2kp_GHj2lw