Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
Having acquired the C96 and subsquently all upgrades in the span of an evening, I have to say it's the most satisfying weapon I've used in this game. It sounds awesome, looks awesome, and is more accurate than it has any right to be. Killing guys on mounted MGs from ~100 meters with a headshot is gratifying. It's arguably a G43 in two slots of space.

I think this is more of a critique of how completely nerfed mounted MGs are rather than a glowing praise of the C96, but whatever.

Edit: Plus you can run C96 / Tellermine / Frag Grenade to be FULL SPECTRUM WARRIOR, Han Solo edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Some skript kiddie DDoSed the servers.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am looking to play this game a bit and wonders if there are still some goons on mumble sometimes.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Michaellaneous posted:

I am looking to play this game a bit and wonders if there are still some goons on mumble sometimes.

I don't.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Would you consider Voice Attack a cheat?

http://www.voiceattack.com/

Don't want to load the thing on my machine until I get some opinions.

I know other games are A-OK allowing it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That looks really stupid unless it performs like a full Street Fighter combo on single voice command. It's easier to press SPACE than to say "jump", for me at least.

I'm on mumble sometimes, but has given up lately. Nobody ever seem to join and I still don't know how squad system works in game so yeah.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So wait. If I buy the Kar98, level up my soldier to become, let's say a paratrooper...I have to unlock the weapon again?

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

So wait. If I buy the Kar98, level up my soldier to become, let's say a paratrooper...I have to unlock the weapon again?

No, I think unlocks/guns are per character. So your paratrooper (who was previously your Kar98 infantry guy) can use that gun still. If you make a new character, then they do have to unlock/buy weapons for themselves.

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008
Except I do not believe he can, as paratroopers cannot use bolt-action rifles (to my knowledge).
If you switch from paratrooper back to regular infantry, you would be able to use the rifle again.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Well yeah that costs money I heard.
Also what the gently caress. The Kar is kinda okay, I feel, but christ. If you have to get all the way to 7 to finally make it a one shot kill...that really kills it a lot.

Except not.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

EvilHobo posted:

Except I do not believe he can, as paratroopers cannot use bolt-action rifles (to my knowledge).
If you switch from paratrooper back to regular infantry, you would be able to use the rifle again.

Err, yeah, to be clear I meant that he wouldn't have to re-buy or re-unlock previously acquired guns that the character's new class can use. I forgot about the "non-infantry can't use all guns" side of things.

Michaellaneous posted:

Well yeah that costs money I heard.
Also what the gently caress. The Kar is kinda okay, I feel, but christ. If you have to get all the way to 7 to finally make it a one shot kill...that really kills it a lot.

Except not.

The cost to switch between branches isn't too bad. I think it's really cheap to go back to infantry.

I tried the Kar for a while before giving up on it (at least for now). Hit detection can be wonky enough in this game that I'd rather be able to fire quicker, especially if I'm trying to cap (always be capping).

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

This game looks cool as poo poo. Unfortunately I'm on my laptop for the rest of the week, but I'll be picking it up once I get back home. Is there some decent goon teamplay here?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Yivgev posted:

Is there some decent goon teamplay here?

I'm wondering this as well, I have been hopping on the CTS mumble checking in the channel for this game now and then and it is always empty.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Lee Outrageous posted:

I'm wondering this as well, I have been hopping on the CTS mumble checking in the channel for this game now and then and it is always empty.

I play with my brother when I can, and even two people communicating is enough to win a match.

I recommend you guys meet up, it's a much different experience. I'd join, but I don't play with stageeeerrrrz.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I team up with my brother when I can, and even two people communicating is enough to win a match.

I recommend you guys meet up, it's a much different experience. I'd join, but I don't play with strangeeeerrrrz.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Lee Outrageous posted:

Don't think we have many goons playing at all. But I do make a point to sit in mumble once in a while. This comumunication capabilities in this game are horrendous.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
http://www.heroesandgenerals.com/community/18173/special-assignment-weekend

Reto added some steam packs to the game and there's free veterancy this weekend.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj_BwO10Z7c

And here's a devstream with a behind the scenes look on mapmaking in this game.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That guy is a map genius, and it's refreshing to see someone so conscious of polygon counts and focused on optimization. Softimage however, is the blackberry of 3D world. He could easily switch to 3DSMax and retain most of the hotkeys and interface, as they are made by the same company. Either way, can't wait to see the new map.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We got some goons in CTS mumble. Let's play on nazis. Hop in and let's all whine about this poo poo game.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Potentially stupid question:

Does anyone know what zeroing your weapon does? I get that it's supposed to be vertical drop compensation, but I only just discovered it and I don't think I've had much trouble hitting people at long ranges using the default 100m convergence even without manually correcting.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Your weapon is zeroed at around 100m by default. Only thing where it matters is the Panzerfaust.

With other weapons, in these game distances, it might be the difference in hitting a dude in the stomach instead lf the chest.
If you are trying to nail a head at long distance, theyou might want to adjust.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Seems like I'm just bad at judging distances and without a scoped rifle I'm never shooting at people [i]that[i] far away so yeah, you're likely right - thanks!

Muroface
Mar 13, 2008

Spirit Fingers!

Vahakyla posted:

Your weapon is zeroed at around 100m by default. Only thing where it matters is the Panzerfaust.

I've been zeroing my sights with the bazooka a lot, basically trying to snipe tanks across fields. I might waste 2-3 rounds zeroing in, but when I land a bazooka on top of a tank over 200m away, it's hella worth it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Muroface posted:

I've been zeroing my sights with the bazooka a lot, basically trying to snipe tanks across fields. I might waste 2-3 rounds zeroing in, but when I land a bazooka on top of a tank over 200m away, it's hella worth it.

Is it worth spending all that money to reload it? I haven't purchased one because b of the ammo costs myself :(

Vahakyla posted:

We got some goons in CTS mumble. Let's play on nazis. Hop in and let's all whine about this poo poo game.
What is CTS mumble?

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 7, 2014

Muroface
Mar 13, 2008

Spirit Fingers!

Nitrox posted:

Is it worth spending all that money to reload it? I haven't purchased one because b of the ammo costs myself :(

Not when you're wasting it on long distance stuff, but it's super useful. Hitting a tank with 2 bazooka rounds from 50~100 m will do it in, and destroying armour nabs you a decent amount of points. If you can stay alive and out of sight, especially long enough to use the other 2 rounds on another tank, you can really turn the tide of a battle round a cap point.

You can use the resupply crates to get more rounds during a match, but this only works if your character actually has rounds remaining - when you run out and need to buy more, the crates won't help. If you're using the bazooka right you shouldn't go through too many rounds.

It's hard to equip most guns with the bazooka since it takes up so many equipment points, but I have a dedicated anti-tank guy with a Garand with 1 pouch and a bazooka with a pouch of 4 rounds. Which seems to work well.
As an allied player, whenever it seem like the Germans are dominating us with their tanks and our armour is being useless, if we had more people with bazookas things might've been different.

Long story short get a bazooka.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I have no idea about the americans, but on the german side the panzerfaust (the one you will find on vehicles and randomly scattered about) seems way worse than the panzerschreck(the one you have to equip on your infantry). It seems like it took almost twice as many shots with the faust vs the schreck (but I may be wrong).

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Haerc posted:

I have no idea about the americans, but on the german side the panzerfaust (the one you will find on vehicles and randomly scattered about) seems way worse than the panzerschreck(the one you have to equip on your infantry). It seems like it took almost twice as many shots with the faust vs the schreck (but I may be wrong).

It does, and are supposed to be, they are good against light tanks, and ok against medium. but you dont have to pay to refill them and can equip crates of them on vehicles. They shouldn't be as good as the one people have to pay to reload every missions.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What is the deal with paratrooper corps being selected for the map, but no planes? It's usually on defense, but still.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

What is the deal with paratrooper corps being selected for the map, but no planes? It's usually on defense, but still.

After initial deployment, paras lose the planes until they are moved back to an airfield and the General pays ~7500 warfunds for a new set of planes (that's just for the tier 1 paras).

Never worth the cost to use planes more than once.

Apparently this is some insurmountable glitch the full retards at reto have been unable to fix... conveniently draining funds all the while.

It will be fixed in the future.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Actually had a decent match late last night on a campaign map. Ended up fighting over the river from a shack (E3?) near the church.
No planes, no tanks, lots of jeeps and a majority of infantry. It was hard as hell and lasted well over half an hour just on that point and back 3 more on that line. First time I saw squads deploy and set up at each capture point on the allies' side.

Shame that 90 percent of the rest of the matches were just awful.
Really wish this was a better game.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Republicanus posted:

Actually had a decent match late last night on a campaign map. Ended up fighting over the river from a shack (E3?) near the church.
No planes, no tanks, lots of jeeps and a majority of infantry. It was hard as hell and lasted well over half an hour just on that point and back 3 more on that line. First time I saw squads deploy and set up at each capture point on the allies' side.

Shame that 90 percent of the rest of the matches were just awful.
Really wish this was a better game.

My favorite is always the guys who will run off to capture an access point while we are losing one of the objectives, then the enemies just steamroll the other one with their entire weight. This game is in desperate need of voice comms so we can at least berate our team.

Is there still a way to suicide? Didn't it used to be like f4 or something?

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bondematt posted:

My favorite is always the guys who will run off to capture an access point while we are losing one of the objectives, then the enemies just steamroll the other one with their entire weight. This game is in desperate need of voice comms so we can at least berate our team.

Is there still a way to suicide? Didn't it used to be like f4 or something?

F11

And the last thing I wanna hear is some loving prepubescent dick wad squeaking in my ear.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Yeah, not having voice com in your game is actually a good thing.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Some way of making people get more experience for following and having issued orders followed would help.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Triple A posted:

Some way of making people get more experience for following and having issued orders followed would help.
The XP/Score-System seriously lacks in the teamwork-area. See: No XP for spotting, no XP for damaging tanks without kill.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Wipfmetz posted:

...no XP for damaging tanks without kill.

^^^ very frustrating

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So, apparently taking 01 objective at factory assault is pretty much impossible. While the radio area is littered with boxes and other cover, the window up on the roof is a merciless murder hole. I sat there with my lousy mp34 and killed about 15 people in a row over the course of 10 minutes. Sometimes they see me, sometimes they don't. But they are shooting at total of 9 square pixels while I have a clear headshot from above. 60XP each, walked away with 2k experience total. I can't help but sympathize with my future self having to take that objective.

Do tanks have armor zones like they do in red orchestra or is it just total HP and nothing but? Because it seem to take X amount of shots no matter where it hits, but I could be wrong. If so, that's loving lame.

Also, it's funny to see Germany winning every war by territories, kills, experience, planes etc. But the tank count is always on allied side. I know hellcats are tough, but rarely see them in the field.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 14, 2014

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Nitrox posted:

So, apparently taking 01 objective at factory assault is pretty much impossible. While the radio area is littered with boxes and other cover, the window up on the roof is a merciless murder hole. I sat there with my lousy mp34 and killed about 15 people in a row over the course of 10 minutes. Sometimes they see me, sometimes they don't. But they are shooting at total of 9 square pixels while I have a clear headshot from above. 60XP each, walked away with 2k experience total. I can't help but sympathize with my future self having to take that objective.

Do tanks have armor zones like they do in red orchestra or is it just total HP and nothing but? Because it seem to take X amount of shots no matter where it hits, but I could be wrong. If so, that's loving lame.

Also, it's funny to see Germany winning every war by territories, kills, experience, planes etc. But the tank count is always on allied side. I know hellcats are tough, but rarely see them in the field.

The armor works on penetration, then the tank health is one big lump.

So a shot that hits the front will do less damage than one in the side, assuming the armor is enough to even matter. The light tanks take about the same shots anywhere, mediums you need to be shooting in the sides/rear, and a tiger you can't regularly damage at all from the front with a zook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

What is everyone's opinion on the German Recon's scout car? I'm getting close-ish to going recon and I was wondering if I should be looking forward to unlocking it. :)

• Locked thread