Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A big flaming stink posted:

so, after nearly getting killed several times over, and having seen that the adult supervision is a complete moron, why on earth would Max stay in the Activity Club after this?

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, that's a very good question. Max nearly got killed, what, 5 times so far tonight?

Who else is going to save him when racist whale frogs visit his house in the middle of the night and menacingly eat themselves at him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah, Max doesn't really have the luxury of not being in the club, now that he's part of the whole spirit scene. Until he learns to protect himself or makes some other, more reliable allies, they're the best defense he has against bigoted amphibians or presumably other things we haven't seen since it's only been like 5 days in-universe or something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So what you're saying is he needs to hook up with Forge and Johnny.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, that's a very good question. Max nearly got killed, what, 5 times so far tonight?

Probably mostly because if he doesn't come to the spectral bullshit, the spectral bullshit will come to him (see also: mirror frog).

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

A big flaming stink posted:

so, after nearly getting killed several times over, and having seen that the adult supervision is a complete moron, why on earth would Max stay in the Activity Club after this?

Ya, as others mentioned I don't think Max has a choice here. He's not going to stop seeing and being affected by spirits, so he needs to learn how to deal with all these important details. (Such as what would have happened if he took a trip in a car outside Mayview)

Now, if he'll remain accommodating to Spender's crap is another issue entirely.

Edit: Also mentioned in the comments is the fact that Paranatural got a cameo in Three Panel Soul today

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 13, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Max also got recently introduced to Boss Leader, who seems much more his type of boss leader. She might restore his confidence in the group a little.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

She might restore his confidence in the group a little.

She makes people wear onesies as uniforms because she thinks its funny.

I'm sure she inspires something, but I doubt its confidence.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

paranoid randroid posted:

She makes people wear onesies as uniforms because she thinks its funny.

I'm sure she inspires something, but I doubt its confidence.

Terror is almost as good as confidence. Arguably better, depending on your perspective.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Iny posted:

What do you mean? We already know his deal.

- He's possessed by a giant anime god of thunder who thinks might makes right, and this possession has given him weather-based powers and made him an anime protagonist.

- At some point he met the Doorman (a servant of the angelic being Forge has come to serve), who has been mentoring Isaac on matters of Justice and Doing What's Right and who Isaac looks up to very much.

- He's in the Activity Club, but Spender isn't telling him anything because he doesn't trust the thunder god (and possibly Isaac-under-the-influence-of-the-thunder-god). Isaac knows this and resents it, and it has been called out a couple of times as being a likely future source of conflict and a Really Stupid Move on Spender's part.
I don't think he knows that's why he's not being told anything. Just that Spender won't even tell him why.

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if this will make Max reconsider spying for Boss Leader.
Considering Max said he wouldn't promise helping out, I think he will end up assisting the investigation regardless. Agent Day did save his life, while Spender almost got him and Isabelle killed. And tried to cover it up. And if Max ends up finding out about the other close calls it wouldn't be good for Spender.

Oh and if Agent Day has good enough intel, and asks who Isaac is right in front of Max, if Isaac's existence really is being kept secret from BL.

I'm also wondering if BL chose Agent Day specifically because Max would be more likely to assist in the investigation, and because Spender wouldn't be able to hide as much. I wonder if BL even knows about the strongest spirit is trapped inside him. Rereading the archive he keeps is 'room' sealed off from everyone. And presumably that knowledge would be in there. Depends on if the Consortium personal rooms are similar enough to the Spirit Communication areas, which seem to be 'surrounding area plus other stuff'.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Max can stay in the club to spy on Spender/help out Day since he knows Spender's definitely hiding something.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Max only really came around to being in the club at all when it turned out he has no choice, but he's still pretty skeptical and open to alternatives. The consortium itself seems like it has some factionalism and mixed loyalties, and there's outside groups like the cousinhood or the weird spirit conspiracy with Doorman or whatever possible second spirit is in Max that might all be able to win him over.

It's probably bonding with the other kids that'll see Max through more than anything. Him and Isaac have started off strong and him and Isabel seem to be doing better, and the burger child is uncomplicated. Seems like a good team.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Kgummy posted:

Oh and if Agent Day has good enough intel, and asks who Isaac is right in front of Max, if Isaac's existence really is being kept secret from BL.

It's the other way around. Boss Leader knows who Issac is. It's Issac who is restricted from information.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, I just noticed that little infogram on Isaac she's holding is all about his spikey hair.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Matlock Birthmark posted:

It's the other way around. Boss Leader knows who Issac is. It's Issac who is restricted from information.
Whoops, I forgot that bit. I was remembering a few pages back where BL mentioned Edward and Isabel, but not Isaac.

Edit: Oh man, rereading I noticed that BL gave Spender a different middle name each time. Darkstorm and Nightfox.

Kgummy fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 14, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

Hah, I just noticed that little infogram on Isaac she's holding is all about his spikey hair.

The hair he has before the current spikiness is applied is pretty ridiculous too. I wonder if that's just a diagram or he really had a triangular orange pompadour before he was possessed.

Kgummy posted:

Whoops, I forgot that bit. I was remembering a few pages back where BL mentioned Edward and Isabel, but not Isaac.

Edit: Oh man, rereading I noticed that BL gave Spender a different middle name each time. Darkstorm and Nightfox.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that both of those have to do with darkness; while Spender keeps his room locked to the other members of the Consortium, given that B.L. made it and can probably force her way in whether he likes it or not I actually would not be surprised if she knew full well that he's possessed by the weird darkness spirit. (Even if he doesn't know she knows; she can probably invade his dreams without his knowledge if she wants. She seems basically omnipotent within dreams, even when they're not ones she herself made.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

(Even if he doesn't know she knows; she can probably invade his dreams without his knowledge if she wants. She seems basically omnipotent within dreams, even when they're not ones she herself made.)

Dunno how useful invading dreams is re: intelligence gathering. I mean, if you'd invaded my dreams last night, you'd have gathered the intelligence that I study space penguins for a living.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

MikeJF posted:

Dunno how useful invading dreams is re: intelligence gathering. I mean, if you'd invaded my dreams last night, you'd have gathered the intelligence that I study space penguins for a living.

Please tell me more about the great space penguin migrations

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

unironically this

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Roland Jones posted:

I wonder if it's a coincidence that both of those have to do with darkness; while Spender keeps his room locked to the other members of the Consortium, given that B.L. made it and can probably force her way in whether he likes it or not I actually would not be surprised if she knew full well that he's possessed by the weird darkness spirit. (Even if he doesn't know she knows; she can probably invade his dreams without his knowledge if she wants. She seems basically omnipotent within dreams, even when they're not ones she herself made.)

His subconscious is militarised.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

Well, ignoring things like the flashback that was spied upon, given that the Activity Consortium HQ, and all the rooms within in (Spender's included), are in dreams, and as we've established you can see the wisps of people's spirits, even the ones in tools, inside those rooms, probably extremely so. As I was saying, it's quite possible that Boss Leader knows about the dark spirit, even if the rest of the Consortium presumably doesn't know it exists. And, for reasons already stated, Spender wouldn't even necessarily know that she knows.

Why she'd be keeping it a secret, meanwhile, is a mystery. Quite a few possible reasons, not least of which being that she's a huge jerk.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
While it's possible that Boss Leader knows about the dark spirit, I don't think so. Spender doesn't let anyone into his dream room, which explicitly includes Boss Leader. As for how he can keep her out, I seem to remember something about how the Mayview barrier preventing her from looking in. She only met Max and created his room when he was outside of the barrier and it's not like it's the first time he fell asleep as a spectral.
Spender is said to be super secretive by everyone including Boss Leader, if she could just look into his dream room, I doubt she'd need confirmation from Max that he's doing potentially dangerous stuff (like imprisoning a very powerful and evil spirit inside himself.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I don't know much, but I was sitting on the edge of wooden dock and we(?) were watching how they swam and possibly taking notes but there was no ocean just nothing and also we were in orbit.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Today's Paranatural page is loving astounding.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Today's Paranatural page is loving astounding.

"But that would've taken 140 pages and no one wants to read anything that long"

You motherfucker

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ahahaha we are going to be catching glimpses of isaac's anime sidequest bullshit for the entire comic aren't we :allears:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tollymain posted:

ahahaha we are going to be catching glimpses of isaac's anime sidequest bullshit for the entire comic aren't we :allears:

I really really hope that after all's said and done, we get treated to a side comic that's just Isaac's anime sidequest adventures. :allears:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Ouch, Issac is left out of the loop once again. Nice to see how long that friendship lasted huh?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

Ouch, Issac is left out of the loop once again. Nice to see how long that friendship lasted huh?

I guess I don't get why he's angry. She's wearing the suit, it's obvious she's an agent. And Spender could be a friend with an agent for all he knows.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I think he's angry because he inherently doesn't trust the agents since he has no clue what they're all about. He's also probably bitter because he knows that he's only going to be met with "You're not supposed to know any of this" for the duration of agent Day's stay.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't know why Max is suddenly taken aback by that then. It's not like he's decided to side with the agents yet at Boss Leader's request.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Both Boss Leader and Spender, at odds with each other, have said Isaac needs to be kept in the dark. Max probably figures if both of them want Isaac to know as little as possible, then it's probably a good idea.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I think he's mad because he doesn't know anything about agency or agents or Boss Leader or the Consortium or the Cousinhood and etc. because Spender willfully keeps him ignorant.

Max isn't taken aback, Max is like "oh, um, hmm" because he said something he now realizes Isaac doesn't know anything about.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, Isaac isn't even allowed to know about the Consortium. Max clearly knows that Day is an agent of something, but he really obviously goes mum when he realizes not to elaborate in front of Isaac. Isaac is offended by this, because he was hoping that his new friend would help him learn everything that's been withheld.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The anime that Isaac stars in is like 40 episodes in by now.

:rip: Eightfold.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The anime that Isaac stars in is like 40 episodes in by now.
And that's only if the anime started with the day that Max showed up.

(Which was what, like only two days ago? Wow. Time has not flown by.)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ed's salute in the fourth panel cracked me up. He seems like the only one in the group who'd have no problem going along with Isaac's dumb anime adventures.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Tollymain posted:

If Zack does that thing the Simpsons did with the hidden McBain movie, where Isaac's anime shenanigans seem completely random on their own but actually form a coherent single story when put together, I will give Zack a percentage of my paycheck so long as I live.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Rhonne posted:

Ed's salute in the fourth panel cracked me up. He seems like the only one in the group who'd have no problem going along with Isaac's dumb anime adventures.

I prefer to imagine anyone along for one of Isaac's offscreen anime sidequests simply becomes more anime, whether they'd normally go in for that or not. God help you if you're already susceptible. If Isaac went to the cafeteria with Jeff we'd cut away to them to see Jeff piloting three gundams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This, of course, is the real reason Isaac is excluded from the Activity Consortium; if he were not they would rapidly become even more anime than they already are.