Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

vulturesrow posted:

Let not forget the unfortunately named "Growler." :doh:

Its job was literally to put out white noise, name makes sense

Unless you mean SSG-577, which was badass, and also named after a fish, as Poseidon intended. She's a museum ship up by Intrepid now, I've been aboard her, it's a cool tour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The Proc posted:

Counterpoint: HMS Gay Viking

Oh no, we got our stern penetrated by the Gay Viking!

And you forgot Indefatigable

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

simplefish posted:

Oh no, we got our stern the USS Ponce got penetrated by the Gay Viking!

And you forgot Indefatigable

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

The Proc posted:

Counterpoint: HMS Gay Viking

The Gay Viking was also in the same class as the Master Standfast and Gay Corsair, and they had an important mission to secure balls. :britain:

Also the Devastation class battleships are metal as gently caress. "oh they might roll over if they turn too quickly? OK we'll just move the crew quarters to the outside, but they won't be armoured because that would mess with weight distribution"

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

The Gay Viking was also in the same class as the Master Standfast and Gay Corsair, and they had an important mission to secure balls. :britain:

Also the Devastation class battleships are metal as gently caress. "oh they might roll over if they turn too quickly? OK we'll just move the crew quarters to the outside, but they won't be armoured because that would mess with weight distribution"

Devastation class? Man, I thought only the Galactic Empire got to have names like that. That is the single best battleship name.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Tevery Best posted:

Devastation class? Man, I thought only the Galactic Empire got to have names like that. That is the single best battleship name.

Pretty sure the Galactic Empire just ripped the names of their ships from the Royal Navy.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Flikken posted:

Pretty sure the Galactic Empire just ripped the names of their ships from the Royal Navy.

The Galactic Empire was staffed by mostly British officers, so...

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

vulturesrow posted:

Let not forget the unfortunately named "Growler." :doh:

Maybe an old man's (British) English vernacular is required to really get it but :lol:
Marketing departments haven't improved much when it comes to check up on names before taking them abroad, advertisements have been bought and paid for and put into circulation in countries, advertising the new [car brand] [common word for genitalia or sexual act].

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

MrLonghair posted:

Maybe an old man's (British) English vernacular is required to really get it but :lol:
Marketing departments haven't improved much when it comes to check up on names before taking them abroad, advertisements have been bought and paid for and put into circulation in countries, advertising the new [car brand] [common word for genitalia or sexual act].

For example:

The Toyota MR2 in France

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I spent the weekend down in Stow, MA for the Collings Foundation Battle for the Airfield event. It was pretty drat awesome, but most relevant to this thread, I took some photos of airplanes:

I also got some airplane videos:

Stearman Takeoff:
http://youtu.be/wN9Vrzgdq0M

Storch Takeoff:
http://youtu.be/WbXij9a2P9A

The Storch nearly hovering (it did hover earlier in the day, but I didn't get video of it):
http://youtu.be/E9bl_U1AnOw

The AT-6F landing:
http://youtu.be/I1iroFUtGic

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I don't know why, but this picture makes me so so sad:

Poor ekrano/plane :(

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Looks like a silver age sci-fi space bomber to me.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Koesj posted:

Looks like a silver age sci-fi space bomber to me.

Which is also why I like it so much :3:
It really looks like a scifi spessship.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Inacio posted:

I don't know why, but this picture makes me so so sad:

Poor ekrano/plane :(

The WA-14 wasn't actually an ekranoplane, people just assume it was because it's a weird shape. It actually had proper wings and was a normalish VTOL amphibious plane...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SybilVimes posted:

The WA-14 wasn't actually an ekranoplane, people just assume it was because it's a weird shape. It actually had proper wings and was a normalish VTOL amphibious plane...

Ekranoplane operation was also planned, wasn't it?

e: also that thing would do VTOL. God drat that'd have been scifi as gently caress.

marumaru fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 13, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Inacio posted:

Ekranoplane operation was also planned, wasn't it?

WIG effect was planned to be used for cruise, I'm not sure that makes it a partial ekranoplane though, since an ekranoplane is usually defined by not straying out of WIG.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inacio posted:

e: also that thing would do VTOL. God drat that'd have been scifi as gently caress.

Powerplant:
(Cruise) 2 × D-30M turbofans, 67 kN (15062 lbf) thrust each
(VTOL - not fitted) 12 × 12 RD-36-35 PR lift turbofan engines, 43 kN (9,666 lbf) thrust each

Russia.txt

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

hobbesmaster posted:

Powerplant:
(VTOL - not fitted) 12 × 12 RD-36-35 PR lift turbofan engines, 43 kN (9,666 lbf) thrust each

Russia.txt

Not strictly a Russian thing, a lot of early VTOL proposals in Europe (I'm thinking of the Mirage IIIV specifically but IIRC there were others) basically involved "put a whole bunch of lift fans in the fuselage, hope for the best."

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Powerplant:

Russia.txt

I wonder if a very rich person could buy, restore and upgrade it with the planned VTOL capabilities.
Would be loving amazing.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Its job was literally to put out white noise, name makes sense

Unless you mean SSG-577, which was badass, and also named after a fish, as Poseidon intended. She's a museum ship up by Intrepid now, I've been aboard her, it's a cool tour

I was talking about the airplane, I mean this is the aeronautical insanity thread, duh. ;) Seriously, its a bad name, regardless of whether it fits or not. It has several less than flattering colloquial meanings and it just sounds kind of dumb (that part is subjective I know). They actually polled the EA-6B ready rooms to see what the community wanted to call it. I know, because I voted. What happened next I'm not sure of but here is the hearsay. The ready rooms voted on the Demon or Banshee, pretty sure it was the former. SUPPOSEDLY Vern Clark was a very Christian dude and vetoed that so the PMA said gently caress it and went with Growler. Take that FWIW but I do remember participating in the poll.

However the best proposed name was this:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Two in the *ahem*, one in the *oh my*

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Y'all are forgetting the HMS Cockchafer.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Crossposting my own question from the Cold War thread:

mlmp08 posted:

I ran across this footage, timestamped below, of what appears to be two guys doing a HALO out of the damned bomb bay of an IL-28 :stare:. Anyone have more details?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlxzT5GdUrw&t=214s

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

mlmp08 posted:

Crossposting my own question from the Cold War thread:

I don't but its not a big deal from a jumpers perspective. I'm presuming from a crew area there is access to the bay? Just make sure the pilot slows down. Exiting an aircraft at high speeds ranges from uncomfortable to deadly.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tremblay posted:

I don't but its not a big deal from a jumpers perspective. I'm presuming from a crew area there is access to the bay? Just make sure the pilot slows down. Exiting an aircraft at high speeds ranges from uncomfortable to deadly.

You should watch the first five minutes of the video. A couple of dudes are loaded like ordnance, and released with as much ceremony.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Tremblay posted:

I'm not so concerned with the survivability, but more why they thought this was a thing they needed. KGB/SOF insertion?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I almost forgot this thread was in AI, so here are some "car" pictures from the museum too:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ekranoplans rule. I keep hoping some lunatic will go bust offering a Sandusky to Buffalo ekranoferry. Even making a wide path around the Erie islands, they could to the run in an hour, which lops 3-4 hours off the driving distance from the midwest to Toronto, New York, and otherly easterly destinations.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

You should watch the first five minutes of the video. A couple of dudes are loaded like ordnance, and released with as much ceremony.

Just did, was on a plane and trying to watch it over Gogo wasn't working so hot. I'm having a hard time seeing it but it looks like they were on sling orienting them belly to earth. If so that makes sense for a higher speed release. In that instance the less the jumpers are "presenting" to the relative wind the easier to get separation from the aircraft.

mlmp08 posted:

I'm not so concerned with the survivability, but more why they thought this was a thing they needed. KGB/SOF insertion?

Make sure it works. I'm sure deploying parachuters wasn't exactly a design requirement of the platform. For reference we pay warbird operators to drop us out of their bomb bays. Due to insurance issues I think there is only one that this is still possible with.

TLDR, looks like fun to me. Would be interesting to know what the parameters were (airspeed, altitude).

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sagebrush posted:

No one does ship names better than the British. Go here, click on the lists by class, and enjoy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ship_names_of_the_Royal_Navy

Repulse
Furious
Invincible
Thunderous
Warspite
Revenge

Totally badass.

I say this every time the subject comes up, but the Brits have the all-time best name for a Boomer:

Vengeance.

vulturesrow posted:

I was talking about the airplane, I mean this is the aeronautical insanity thread, duh. ;) Seriously, its a bad name, regardless of whether it fits or not. It has several less than flattering colloquial meanings and it just sounds kind of dumb (that part is subjective I know). They actually polled the EA-6B ready rooms to see what the community wanted to call it. I know, because I voted. What happened next I'm not sure of but here is the hearsay. The ready rooms voted on the Demon or Banshee, pretty sure it was the former. SUPPOSEDLY Vern Clark was a very Christian dude and vetoed that so the PMA said gently caress it and went with Growler. Take that FWIW but I do remember participating in the poll.

However the best proposed name was this:

lol came here to post that

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Tremblay posted:

For reference we pay warbird operators to drop us out of their bomb bays. Due to insurance issues I think there is only one that this is still possible with.

My old boss told me he did this with his T-6 until someone smashed his face on the horizontal.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

I say this every time the subject comes up, but the Brits have the all-time best name for a Boomer:

Vengeance.

lol came here to post that

The UK also has the best fighter names. :smuggo:

Fury
Gladiator
Hurricane
Spitfire
Typhoon
Tempest
Vampire
Meteor
Tornado
Typhoon (again)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also: Sea Vixen

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Bloody Pom posted:

The UK also has the best fighter names. :smuggo:

Fury
Gladiator
Hurricane
Spitfire
Typhoon
Tempest
Vampire
Meteor
Tornado
Typhoon (again)

You forgot Venom and Lightning.

Even the ones that suck (Defiant, arguably the Whirlwind and Typhoon) had cool names.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

vessbot posted:

My old boss told me he did this with his T-6 until someone smashed his face on the horizontal.

Yeah, tail strikes aren't frequent but def happen with combo of low tail and jumper experience. Plane configuration in flight can make a big difference too. Not fun for anyone.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Why every type of store carried by every type of plane has to be drop tested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPTnmZ_HPAs

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A couple of serious :stare: moments. 1:57 in particular.

Edit: I couldn't find the non-tv voiceover version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmoVXW-l2M

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 14, 2014

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Madurai posted:

That is some truly :magical: poo poo right there

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

HMS Deez Nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Madurai posted:

That sad little tail hook dropping at :33...