Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
That was a enjoyable romp for the first two episodes, let's see if they can keep it up! Some impressions:

That's some fine camera work.

The song that plays during Shinnosuke and Hayase's meeting sounds like a homage to this from W. I won't mind if they copy more of W's soundtrack though, it was pretty great and given the crime investigation angle this is pulling it's not completely innappropriate.

The rock music during the car chase scene :swoon:

Really digging Heart and Brain's monster design; Heart looks like a red Xenomorph and Brain's... head screen brain thing is both silly and great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I'm (very slowly) watching Kuuga, and as of episode 12, pretty much every monster goes "Kuuuuuuuga!!!" whenever Godai changes.

Edit: Also, Ichijo is the best.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zero_Tactility posted:

I'm (very slowly) watching Kuuga, and as of episode 12, pretty much every monster goes "Kuuuuuuuga!!!" whenever Godai changes.

Edit: Also, Ichijo is the best.

They all know Kuuga because he killed them all ages ago.

So loooots of name calling.

(Plus otherwise people might honestly forget he's called Kuuga. THEY'RE THE ONLY ONES TO CALL HIM THAT)

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Burkion posted:

(Plus otherwise people might honestly forget he's called Kuuga. THEY'RE THE ONLY ONES TO CALL HIM THAT)

I think the best part is that Godai never uses context when bringing it up. He'll see it labeled as No. 4, casually namedrop Kuuga and everyone will look at him funny since he can't explain that "This is what they call me".

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Yeah, I totally forgot to quote. I saw this on the previous page

Yosuke posted:

Kuuga and Agito don't even really refer to their title dudes by Kuuga and Agito much!
and immediately thought, "That's not right!". Even if he's Number 4 to the public, it feels like (so far at least) the Kuuga name comes up almost every episode.

Yosuke posted:

I think the best part is that Godai never uses context when bringing it up. He'll see it labeled as No. 4, casually namedrop Kuuga and everyone will look at him funny since he can't explain that "This is what they call me".
He's also so excited to put the Kuuga logo on all his stuff. In a series that's largely very serious, Godai's goofiness is an interesting contrast.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Yeah, I stated it using the core cast in mind. While Godai and the Grongi use Kuuga as a common term, almost everyone else related to Godai hear it and are usually confused or just ignore it for a good while.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Zero_Tactility posted:

Yeah, I totally forgot to quote. I saw this on the previous page

and immediately thought, "That's not right!". Even if he's Number 4 to the public, it feels like (so far at least) the Kuuga name comes up almost every episode.

He's also so excited to put the Kuuga logo on all his stuff. In a series that's largely very serious, Godai's goofiness is an interesting contrast.

It's not even close to true of Agito either. Even the police start using the term as of episode 3, so it's not got the Kuuga thing where only the insiders are familiar going on. From a quick scan, the number of episodes where it doesn't appear in dialogue (it's in the song twice) seems to be countable on one hand. Two max.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Huh.

Must have misremembered that. I think it was Gills who was never really namedropped for the season? I know Another Agito was really more of a Toei label and he was just called Agito in context.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Yosuke posted:

Huh.

Must have misremembered that. I think it was Gills who was never really namedropped for the season? I know Another Agito was really more of a Toei label and he was just called Agito in context.

Yeah, Gills gets called that exactly once, by the Overlord of Darkness (speaking of things not named by the show, see also the monster he controls) at the end of episode 8 and then in the beginning of 9, since the show really likes replaying end scenes before adding some new content pre-OP. A couple episode titles have his name, but Agito is also one of the run that doesn't show episode titles on screen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am a bit curious what the term "Kamen Rider" means in the context of Drive, especially seeing as it was one of the villains that coined the term. I'm guessing it's either the whole urban legend thing referenced in W and Fourze or it has something to do with the Rider we saw at the very beginning of the show(who based on the context of the scene was pretty obviously not Tomari).

Aside from the whole Karate Bugmen on motorcycles motif, a common theme in Rider shows that's stuck around since the beginning is the idea of the hero taking his enemy's tech/abilities and using it against them and based on the conversation at the beginning of this episode it looks like Drive's heading in this direction as well (The exceptions to this rule as far as I remember being: V3, X, Super-1, J and Hibiki).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 13, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Yosuke posted:

Huh.

Yeah when I was watching Agito and occasionally reading others' opinions it took me awhile to figure out who "Gills" actually was.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Larryb posted:

I am a bit curious what the term "Kamen Rider" means in the context of Drive, especially seeing as it was one of the villains that coined the term. I'm guessing it's either the whole urban legend thing referenced in W and Fourze or it has something to do with the Rider we saw at the very beginning of the show(who based on the context of the scene was pretty obviously not Tomari).

Aside from the whole Karate Bugmen on motorcycles motif, a common theme in Rider shows that's stuck around since the beginning is the idea of the hero taking his enemy's tech/abilities and using it against them and based on the conversation at the beginning of this episode it looks like Drive's heading in this direction as well (The exceptions to this rule as far as I remember being: X, Super-1, Hibiki and Decade).

You edited out Blade, but Decade? C'mon man, he was neo-shocker's leader, for cryin' out pete's sake!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

You edited out Blade, but Decade? C'mon man, he was neo-shocker's leader, for cryin' out pete's sake!

Ah right forgot about that. You could also technically add V3 and J to that list as well.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Larryb posted:

Ah right forgot about that. You could also technically add V3 and J to that list as well.

For sure, V3 was created by Ichimonji and Hongo, and J was created by the, uh, I guess earth wizards?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I'm assuming Chase was a Kamen Rider (hence where the name came from) at some point but then got turned into a Roidmude

I cant believe I have to type Roidmude for a year

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Having gotten only into Kamen Rider recently, the whole born of evil part of it is very fascinating to me, especially in more literal seasons like Blade, Kiva, and Gaim.

Rangers are born of good, Riders are born of evil, which is a point I don't think the SHT movies have brought up, oddly enough. I forget if any Rangers have "bad" or "evil" powers, honestly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
OOO essentially uses pieces of the Greeeds' bodies to transform.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Solaris Knight posted:

I forget if any Rangers have "bad" or "evil" powers, honestly.

MMPR Green? Dino Thunder White?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SpazmasterX posted:

MMPR Green? Dino Thunder White?

yeah, I was gonna cite AbareKiller, but I didn't know enough about Abaranger to be sure.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Abarekiller at the core of his character is "I made this suit to fight the heroes for fun." He never really turns, either and does things for his own benefit.

'Course while specific Rangers can have an "evil" background, none of them (I think) have a source that is "we take the enemies power and make it our own".

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

How does ToQ 6, or Lio and Mele from Gekiranger fit into this?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
ToQ #6's sentai powers are from a wholly good source (the Rainbow Line). He just happens to be a dude who was once a Shadow monster.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Same as Dragon Ranger.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The entire history of Kamen Rider hinges on Shocker being too dumb to brainwash their victim BEFORE giving them a powerful cyborg body. They were totally gonna do it, but last, because they are dumb.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

The entire history of Kamen Rider hinges on Shocker being too dumb to brainwash their victim BEFORE giving them a powerful cyborg body. They were totally gonna do it, but last, because they are dumb.

To be 'fair', it's less brainwashing and more straight up brain surgery, which may or may not be the most complicated thing to do.

Especially since part of the reason why they WANTED Hongo was because he was a certified genius- can't risk loving his brain up.

Honestly the villain groups that did create their Riders, of which there are shockingly few, almost all of them went about it very intelligently or at least shown they COULD be competent elsewhere- with one exception.

Even, and ESPECIALLY, Shocker, who despite having the greatest track record of failure (creating the first two Riders) they also had more success than any other.

Near the end of the first series, they made six or so NEW Kamen Riders, dubbed Shocker Riders, who were out right cyborgs like Riders One and Two, only fully evil. So that's way more successful grasshopper cyborgs than failed ones. (And then you factor in that EVERY MOTW is like Hongo and Ichimonji, and their success rate skyrockets)

The only villain group to just totally drop the ball was Neo Shocker from Sky Rider. General Monster has to be the single most retarded villain ever.

I'll just run you through his thought process right quick. OK so you have a mutinous scientist who has escaped and found a plucky young man who is some what competent at fighting to help him.

OK so you then have his friends killed and bodies left for him to find, and then dissolve the bodies. Cool. Guy goes nuts and suicide runs your minions, you mortally wound him, capture the scientist. Great!

Scientist pleads to turn the young man into a super powerful cyborg with abilities he will not divulge and he's going to do the surgery himself in private.

OK.

Surgery goes off without a hitch, new super powerful super cyborg made of the guy who hated you BEFORE you killed his best friends.

So you let him OUT SIDE.

And partner him up with the guy who KILLED HIS FRIENDS.

WITHOUT ANY METHOD OF TRYING TO MIND CONTROL OR ALTER HIS BRAIN OR EVEN KEEP HIM IN CHECK.

SOUNDS PERFECT LET'S DO THIS

entire island base blows the gently caress up

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So why was Black a cyborg rather than a mutant, anyway? Golgom didn't ever demonstrate that they had the capability to produce cyborgs afterward. It was all mutant this, mutant that, and even their cyborgs were powered by some mystical artifacts. Was there some in-setting justification?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Serious Frolicking posted:

So why was Black a cyborg rather than a mutant, anyway? Golgom didn't ever demonstrate that they had the capability to produce cyborgs afterward. It was all mutant this, mutant that, and even their cyborgs were powered by some mystical artifacts. Was there some in-setting justification?

The way I always read it was that it was the Kingstone that turned Black into how we know him.

They just turned him into a Grasshopper mutant, which you see briefly in episode 1, and Shadow Moon is stuck in that state for a good chunk of the series.

For whatever reason, the Kingstone further transformed Black into his Kamen Rider form.

Kind of like how Amazon's amulet refined him into a more humanoid form.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't think they ever specified in the series, but I always thought that the cyborg bit was on top of becoming grasshopper mutants for Kotaro and Nobuhiko and was probably part of the Century King package. Like, that's what makes them special and sets them apart from all the other mutants.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you want to stretch it, you can see it in the Sword Saint, one of my favorite Rider villains whose name I cannot ever remember to spell. He was basically a failed Century King, enhanced like them but without a Kingstone, and thus, while having a kind of dragony theme going on, is humanoid and uses weapons and all kinds of weird powers.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I don't remember if they ever mention him being a cyborg, but Birugenia is definitely set up as another mirror for Black alongside Shadow Moon. The first thing that came to my mind was his brief acquisition of a bitchin' motorcycle (Hellshooter :black101:) so he could square off against Black and Road Sector, but the wiki reminded me that he was also born during a solar eclipse (just 20000 years earlier) but was passed over as a candidate for Creation King (possibly for mod Creation King sass?).

He's a fun character, because while he's extremely strong, he's always trying to play catch-up and scrabbling after the trappings of the Creation Kings: making a copy of Road Sector, stealing the Satan Saber, etc.

Definitely my favorite ancient kabuki dragon swordsman mutant.

Kamen Rider Black is really good, you guys :allears:

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 14, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is why, in my Kamen Rider Black episode guide, I include the Gold Bug episode. Even though it's technically only filler, it's very subtly not in an important way.

Up until this episode, every fight between the two of them, Sword Saint and Black, has either been utterly in Sword Saint's favor- or Kamen Rider Black barely managing to keep even with the help of all of his tricks and his bikes. More than not Black had to retreat or run away-their first fight is ended by the Creation King himself.

In this episode Sword Saint brings out the worst of humanity's greed, pissing off Kotaro more than ever before. Using that rage, he takes on Birugenia and actually OVER POWERS him for a change, forcing him to retreat for the first time. This is pivotal to the series because it forces Birugenia to do some desperate things to try and keep up with Black's ever growing power, such as stealing the Satan Saber.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I really need to rewatch Kamen Rider Black, because it's been some years and I don't remember a lot of the details (for example, that Gold Bug moment). There's some neat stuff going on there with sliding balances (and meanings) of personal power and the power bestowed by "legitimacy" (real or imagined) between Black and Birugenia.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Max is up. All of it. 1-8 up for free, with another 8 next week, and so on.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Burkion and myself reviewed the first episode of Drive. Normally, we along with Jivjov review Power Rangers, but I've been thinking of doing something new. Is there interest in a weekly show for Rider and maybe Sentai too?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Liar Lyre posted:

Burkion and myself reviewed the first episode of Drive. Normally, we along with Jivjov review Power Rangers, but I've been thinking of doing something new. Is there interest in a weekly show for Rider and maybe Sentai too?

I'd totally listen to a weekly Japanimation show in between my beautiful American/Israeli/New Zealand karate soldier show reviews. :911:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

Max is up. All of it. 1-8 up for free, with another 8 next week, and so on.

Watched the first episode. It was pretty great. More entertaining than the first episode of Ginga at least.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

Watched the first episode. It was pretty great. More entertaining than the first episode of Ginga at least.

Ginga is a bad Ultraman show.

It's just...not good.

I don't know about the second half, I've heard that it might be better?

Ginga S some people say is a lot better, but it's not subbed so who knows.

Max might be hard to marathon because it's SUPER episodic, but it's a great show.

It's just a show with NO real continuity, outside of a power up Max gets in a two parter. There's zero character development, no over arcing plots, nothing like that.

Max was basically an Anthology Ultraman series, where a bunch of famous directors and writers got to do their own take on the franchise with stock characters and a stock Ultraman.

Which means we got everyone from the director of Audition to the director of the Gamera Trilogy doing their own episodes.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm not marathoning it. We'll see if I watch more than one episode a week, even.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

I'm not marathoning it. We'll see if I watch more than one episode a week, even.

Just a general warning for the thread. This isn't made like Sentai or Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Burkion posted:

Just a general warning for the thread. This isn't made like Sentai or Rider.

Sorry, that may have sounded a little harsh. Thanks for the info, it's certainly interesting to know, and it explains why the first episode seemed to be devoid of exposition.

• Locked thread