Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
PC live stream for the PC live stream god!

http://www.twitch.tv/bioware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And for those that missed it

http://www.twitch.tv/bioware/b/577781873

They warn that there are minor spoilers, so beware!

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I don't know if it's been said yet, but that main menu looks boss as hell.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Is there a reason everyone looks so... glossy?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Batham posted:

I don't know if it's been said yet, but that main menu looks boss as hell.

The track that plays in the background is pretty great too.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Shadow of Mordor is an Heresy and I hate that Tolkien is rolling in his grave. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Furism posted:

Shadow of Mordor is an Heresy and I hate that Tolkien is rolling in his grave. :colbert:

Heretically delicious.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Furism posted:

It's also more fun than anything else thats come out of Lord of the Rings.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

About the stream...

It's interesting that the Chantry denounces the Inquisition because the 'Herald of Andraste' is a Dalish Elf. I wonder if that would change if the Inquisitor was, say, a human or if the Chantry would denounce you all the same?

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Skippy McPants posted:

Is there a reason everyone looks so... glossy?
Yeah, the Inquisition really needs to invest in some air conditioning.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

KittyEmpress posted:

It's also more fun than anything else thats come out of Lord of the Rings.

Some things are just not made to be turned into video games.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dude, we have Snakes n Cakes AND Darth Windu posting in this thread, don't even waste your time trying.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Knight Enchanters can reflect attacks like fireballs with their spirit blade. :wth:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

Knight Enchanters can reflect attacks like fireballs with their spirit blade. :wth:

DO you actually control the swing timing or is it just a passive block?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Furism posted:

Some things are just not made to be turned into video games.

And LOTR is clearly not one of them.

Because Shadows of Mordors hella rad and they could've put in a cutscene where you're literally making GBS threads into the open mouth of Tom Bombadil and it would still be the best thing to come out of the franchise since the movies.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lotish posted:

Best decision ever. I'm going full-on Ocarina of Time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Drifter posted:

DO you actually control the swing timing or is it just a passive block?

Some things on PC can be set as a passive block (so using Guard and Slash attack with Two-handed is a mode you turn) but it looked like Spirit Blade was an attack you could use whenever (doesn't completely replace the basic attack mages have but doesn't seem to have a cooldown), and if you time it right you knock projectiles back "as if you had cast it yourself."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So Knight Enchanters are basically Jedi then?

I'll take it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Where in the stream do they show off the Knight Enchanter? I'm at work but I gotta see that bit.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it! This specialization was made for me.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 13, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm definitely playing a Knight Enchanter as my first Inquisition character. It looks and sounds awesome.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shugojin posted:

I mean, half the after-the-fact criticism of DA2 is "gameplay consists of fighting waves of boring enemies and wandering around the same couple overland maps, one cave, and one sewer" so it's a very good marketing decision to show gameplay being different.

It just remains to be seen if it lacks too many boring dialog options, noticeable absence of player agency or insufferable characters you can't ever call them out on their own bullshit that people have argued both Dragon Ages have suffered from.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lotish posted:

And for those that missed it

http://www.twitch.tv/bioware/b/577781873

They warn that there are minor spoilers, so beware!

Holy crap, it looks like the Dragon Age series has finally reached the quality level of Mass Effect 2!

I mean that as an actual compliment.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Interesting fact learned from the stream: When party members get knocked down in combat, they'll be restored to a certain amount of health, based on difficulty.

Easy = 50%
Normal = 25%
Hard/Nightmare = 10%

What's more, if someone's below that threshold after a fight, but is still alive, they'll be restored to that level of health after combat (to avoid the gamey "it'll be better just to let them die" decision)

I do plan to play on easy, but 50% seems high to me...I wish that were adjustable.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ainsley McTree posted:

Interesting fact learned from the stream: When party members get knocked down in combat, they'll be restored to a certain amount of health, based on difficulty.

Easy = 50%
Normal = 25%
Hard/Nightmare = 10%

What's more, if someone's below that threshold after a fight, but is still alive, they'll be restored to that level of health after combat (to avoid the gamey "it'll be better just to let them die" decision)

I do plan to play on easy, but 50% seems high to me...I wish that were adjustable.

I don't get it, if you're playing on easy it's specifically to avoid any challenge in combat (I played easy through DA2 past halfway because it loving sucked and didn't want to deal with any challenge), so why are you upset at the amount of health restored?

You play on easy to not die, or to not have any consequences from doing so.

Also, how do they determine a legitimate death near the end of the fight and a death that was for gaining health's sake? I don't understand what you wrote there about that.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Krowley posted:

And LOTR is clearly not one of them.

Because Shadows of Mordors hella rad and they could've put in a cutscene where you're literally making GBS threads into the open mouth of Tom Bombadil and it would still be the best thing to come out of the franchise since the movies.
making GBS threads in the mouth of Tom Bombadill is never a bad decision.

Also, the collective aneurysm that the Tolkien lore spergs had in some other forums were just fantastic to behold. That alone made me preorder the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Drifter posted:

I don't get it, if you're playing on easy it's specifically to avoid any challenge in combat (I played easy through DA2 past halfway because it loving sucked and didn't want to deal with any challenge), so why are you upset at the amount of health restored?

You play on easy to not die, or to not have any consequences from doing so.

I want death to be harder, but to still have consequences. It's a personal preference, you don't need to get it :shobon:

quote:

Also, how do they determine a legitimate death near the end of the fight and a death that was for gaining health's sake? I don't understand what you wrote there about that.

They don't determine that, and it won't matter, because there will be no reason to do it. They want to avoid players going "Solas only has 12% of his health, so I'm going to sit here and let him die so he comes back to 25%" by just making it go back up to 25% after the fight even if he survives.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 13, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's a silly personal preference because it's contradictory. :shobon:

Ainsley McTree posted:

They don't determine that, and it won't matter, because there will be no reason to do it. They want to avoid players going "Solas only has 12% of his health, so I'm going to sit here and let him die so he comes back to 25%" by just making it go back up to 25% without getting him killed.

Ahhh, got it, I misunderstood, that totally makes sense.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Drifter posted:

It's a silly personal preference because it's contradictory. :shobon:

It isn't contradictory, because those are two separate elements of difficulty. I can like one and not like the other one.

But it doesn't matter, because it's my preference, not yours, and you don't really need to comment on it

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So what, no more need for injury kits if you fall in combat?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ainsley, I was just sharing that I thought it was a silly idea, same way that you shared you didn't like it. I'm not trying to convince you to change your beliefs because mine are somehow more or less right. I'm just curious about a gameplay reason and possible solution.

There are no consequences to death in DA3, save that it's easier to die in combat next time if you don't heal. Would you have rather they increase the health potion carries on easy instead of the extra revive health? That sounds more in line with your preference.

Eddain posted:

So what, no more need for injury kits if you fall in combat?

It sounds like your only status effects are in combat - like freeze or confuse or whatever, and nothing tracks from one combat theater to another - just hitpoints.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 13, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, I recall they said that injury kits (and the reduced health/stats that they were designed to fix) are gone, since dying already brings you back at reduced health anyway.

Harrow posted:

Where in the stream do they show off the Knight Enchanter? I'm at work but I gotta see that bit.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it! This specialization was made for me.

Then you might like a better look at these screencaps:

So Knight Enchanters can make like Kitty Pryde and phase into people, but when they go solid they explode.

I know we haven't seen a confirmation other than Solas being a rift mage, but I'm curious now about Vivienne and Dorian's specializations. We know that Haste is a Focus spell, and we've seen Vivienne cast it in an earlier demo, but are focus abilities unique to specializations? If so, it would not appear to be a Knight Enchanter ability. So...does that make her a necromancer? Necromancer would seem to be an odd fit for Haste, though...

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 13, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lotish posted:

So Knight Enchanters can make like Kitty Pryde and phase into people, but when they go solid they explode.

I know we haven't seen a confirmation other than Solas being a rift mage, but I'm curious now about Vivienne and Dorian's specializations. We know that Haste is a Focus spell, and we've seen Vivienne cast it in an earlier demo, but are focus abilities unique to specializations? If so, it would not appear to be a Knight Enchanter ability. So...does that make her a necromancer? Necromancer would seem to be an odd fit for Haste, though...

Dorian is a Necromancer

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

oatgan posted:

Dorian is a Necromancer

That was my original suspicion, but I haven't seen confirmation.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Lotish posted:

That was my original suspicion, but I haven't seen confirmation.

I know it's been said somewhere, but he is listed as being one under the "necromancer" heading on the wiki. Maybe it was in the DG interview?

Ah, from here: http://www.dragonage.com/#!/en_US/news/character-profile-dorian

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That would make sense. With three specializations for each class and the class breakdown for NPCs being 3/3/3 it's likely that your specialization unlock will come from a corresponding party member.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Cool. So that just leaves me wondering what tree has the Haste spell in it. I didn't see anything in the warrior's 2-handed or the dual dagger trees that looked like a Focus ability, so that made me think Focus abilities were limited to specializations. Perhaps they're just in the not-weapon locked trees, then?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Ainsley McTree posted:

Easy = 50%
Normal = 25%
Hard/Nightmare = 10%

I'd be up for 100%. Wasting pots for inbetween healing sounds weird.

Sylphosaurus posted:

making GBS threads in the mouth of Tom Bombadill is never a bad decision.

Also, the collective aneurysm that the Tolkien lore spergs had in some other forums were just fantastic to behold. That alone made me preorder the game.

holy gently caress, so edgy.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I've never given a gently caress about lotr so the new game doesn't even matter to me :shrug:

I'm still expecting the story to be railroaded all to hell, but at least it'll be better than da2

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ainsley McTree posted:

They don't determine that, and it won't matter, because there will be no reason to do it. They want to avoid players going "Solas only has 12% of his health, so I'm going to sit here and let him die so he comes back to 25%" by just making it go back up to 25% after the fight even if he survives.

So, with no real healing spell in the game, all your party will end up at 50/25/10% health (depending on difficulty) after a while unless you chug potions? I assume there are rest areas where you'll get back to full, too? If that's the case the potions are no longer 'Oh poo poo' buttons but just a resource to manage, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

Cool. So that just leaves me wondering what tree has the Haste spell in it. I didn't see anything in the warrior's 2-handed or the dual dagger trees that looked like a Focus ability, so that made me think Focus abilities were limited to specializations. Perhaps they're just in the not-weapon locked trees, then?

If that is the case, I bet that the Focus ability for Templars is an AOE Dispel that will damage and silence mages and demons at each Focus bar. And the Champion Focus ability is straight up invulnerability towards anything for a few seconds.

• Locked thread