Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Azran posted:

:stare: Wasn't consummation part of marriage back then and there? I know next to nothing about religion, so I may be grossly wrong, but still - one would think she'd notice there's something odd about the whole thing.
The dildo, as a piece of technology, dates at least from the Greeks.

quote:

I think you also mentioned some medieval cases sometime ago, where priests checking the bodies left in the aftermath of a battle discovered that some of the dead were in fact women.
30yw. Since it's customary to strip the dead, they found out when there were women on, you know, the common pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Somehow I don't think sex ed was taught in detail those days.

Any irregularities could be explained by confirmation bias.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I can't remember her exact name, but one of my favourite ladies of war was fighting for Frederick The Greats Prussian Army for several years, she did such a pretty awesome job I think made proper officer rank before she was dicovered.

Surprisingly for the Prussian Army, they were pretty cool with it and let her keep her pension and homours and all that after her ah, retirement.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Azran posted:

:stare: Wasn't consummation part of marriage back then and there? I know next to nothing about religion, so I may be grossly wrong, but still - one would think she'd notice there's something odd about the whole thing.

I doubt there'd be the involvement of priests (or the equivalent of "local authorities relating to people loving" if not priests) watching, but in the 17th C, I wouldn't be surprised if the wife knew and didn't want to be strung up or raped or whatever they did with people they saw as deviant.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Incidentally, it was common to strip the dead really quickly. Gustavus Adolphus was naked when he was found, and the battle was still going on. And Wallenstein was stripped right after he was killed; they rolled him up in a carpet, dragged him down the stairs by his heels, and set him in the courtyard next to his unindicted co-conspirators in a row of naked dead.

Edit: Of course, if I had just killed one of the most famous people in Europe I'd want souvenirs too.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
There's also Franziska Scanagatta, who apparently never got caught.

Ages ago, I was researching women who served in disguise in the American Civil War, and one thing I seem to remember coming up a lot in the articles I came across was that it was way easier for them to remain undiscovered that you'd think just because none of the men around them expected to find a woman in the ranks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

Incidentally, it was common to strip the dead really quickly. Gustavus Adolphus was naked when he was found, and the battle was still going on. And Wallenstein was stripped right after he was killed; they rolled him up in a carpet, dragged him down the stairs by his heels, and set him in the courtyard next to his unindicted co-conspirators in a row of naked dead.

Edit: Of course, if I had just killed one of the most famous people in Europe I'd want souvenirs too.

On the battlefield I imagine it was just "gently caress it, that guy won't need his powder/shot/boots etc."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

On the battlefield I imagine it was just "gently caress it, that guy won't need his powder/shot/boots etc."
People carry most of their money on themselves and clothing is really really expensive until the Industrial Revolution in Textiles. Also, international law/custom says that the victor has a right to despoil the conquered. It's like how heads of state gain kingdoms and territories through battle but on a smaller scale.

Edit: Of course, you can get impatient and not wait until the dude's dead, which nearly happened to Pappenheim.

Actually, there's nothing in that account that tells me whether or not the Walloon knew Pappenheim wasn't doomed when he spoke to him. Most people, when their head is split open, kind of die.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 13, 2014

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I can't remember her exact name, but one of my favourite ladies of war was fighting for Frederick The Greats Prussian Army for several years, she did such a pretty awesome job I think made proper officer rank before she was dicovered.

Surprisingly for the Prussian Army, they were pretty cool with it and let her keep her pension and homours and all that after her ah, retirement.

Isn't there several ladies who served in the Royal Navy?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The BEF gets stuck into the enemy again, attacking together with the French 10th Army towards La Bassee, and independently towards Armentieres. The Germans only have advance guards to meet the push, and retire smartly to find their mates. They've captured the critical railway junction at Lille; it is imperative to get into a position where Lille can be taken back.

Meanwhile, 7th Division has seen the Belgian army safely back to its line of last resort. They receive new orders on where to establish themselves to best co-operate with the Belgians, and they set off marching for a large town, the name of which defeats all who would attempt to pronounce it.

Now, here's something I turned up recently that y'all might find of interest. The Daily Telegraph is republishing its archives on its website day-by-day; and the Spectator (a weekly newsmagazine and conservative opinion journal) has its complete archive available for free. In the early going, both are mostly stuffed full of what you'd expect from Victorian/Edwardian organs - inspirational tales of individual derring-do (my favourite is the Frenchman who got wounded 97 times, but refused medical attention and kept killing the Boche), of Germans repulsed at every turn, of spurious victories from the Eastern Front invented out of whole cloth (apparently the Russians won at Tannenberg, who knew?), and confident predictions of victory right around the corner, just as soon as Our Boys can get properly to grips with the villainous Hun.

And then there's this extract from the October 10th edition of the Spectator, in their "News of the Week" leader. In two paragraphs (I've split it into four for easier reading), it identifies the situation that will soon be present on the Western Front, explains the difficulties of waging war under such conditions, and takes a punt at what might be needed to achieve victories and successes.

quote:

The two opposing armies, the greater part of them strongly entrenched, face each other at close quarters in a line drawn from Switzerland to the North Sea—a line not straight, but bending north very nearly at right angles at Noyon, and then heading fairly straight for Dunkerque, upon which fortress port the Allies' extreme left wing will very soon rest. Now will come the time for a military genius, for a commander who is able to take into his mind a vast series of facts and arrange and co-ordinate them in such a way that he will be able to defeat his enemy.

Strange as it sounds, the commanders on both sides will have some difficulty in finding a true objective for their efforts. No doubt in the abstract it is right to say that the objective must always be the destruction of the enemy's army, but that becomes rather an empty phrase when the conditions are those of to-day. The enemy's field army is too big to be crashed as a whole, and the task of snipping off pieces of it and eating the artichoke leaf by leaf is almost impossible. The leaves all stick together.

(Reminder that no, you can't just outflank the enemy because they don't have any flanks any more.)

There remains an attempt to pierce the line at some vulnerable point, but with so well watched a line on both sides that is not very hopeful. Commanders have to think not merely of piercing, but of what they are to do when they have pierced, a line. It is no good to break through the enemy's line and then find yourself isolated from your own armies. Of course, if where the line makes an angle you can break through both on the right and left, you might, as it were, snip off a, piece of the enemy's army; but the enemy is quite as well aware of the danger of angles as you are, and takes his precautions accordingly.

If we must hazard a forecast, we should imagine that what will happen is that for some weeks the two armies will grin at each other across their trenches, and it will seem to the watchers as if they would never be able to escape from the enchantment which holds them in their trenches and tunnels. And then on one side or the other, no man will quite know how — it may be by an unwise shifting of troops, it may be through disease having pounced upon a portion of one of the combatants — there will be a real weakening of the line somewhere, and suddenly the present configuration of the board will be changed and a rearrangement of the pieces be caused which may give somebody his chance.

I started trying to bold particularly relevant parts, but soon ended up highlighting the whole thing. The only things I could change to reflect the actual situation are substituting "Dixmude" for "Dunkirk" and "months" (or "years", according to taste) for "weeks". I'd love to know who wrote it, it's a rare outbreak of insight in a latrine of enforced jollity. (The leader then returns to a more familiar theme, that of dutifully pretending that whatever unmitigated disaster just happened, such as the fall of Antwerp, it's actually a good thing and is totally going to work out to our advantage.)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Here are some women who served in WW1 as combatants:

Princess Shakhovskaya - First female military pilot (flew a number of recon missions)

Flora Sandes - English British nurse who joined the Serbian army and reached the rank of Captain by the end of the war.

Milunka Savić - Most decorated female combatant in the history of warfare, veteran of 2 Balkan Wars and World War 1.

Aleksandra Kurdasheva - Colonel, Commander of the Sixth Ural Cossack Regiment

Ecaterina Teodoroiu - Second Lieutenant, originally a nurse, she joined the Romanian army after the death of her brother

And, oh, of course, all the women who served in Women's Battalions of Death in Russia.

my dad fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 13, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rabhadh posted:

Isn't there several ladies who served in the Royal Navy?

I think so, along with two very famous lady pirates.

With the pirates I can understand, but with the Royal Navy and in general with cramped 17th and 18th century style conditions it is surprisingly how long some of them can last if they even did get caught.

Then again, people didn't really bother taking off the handful of clothing they owned to bathe much so...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kaal posted:

Extra History is interesting, but it's also the definition of Great Man History. And it also realllllly plays up the "Good men tried for peace! Stop the madness!" angle waaaay too much.

Well if you want to balance that out, you can try some Crash Course with it. John Green is so not-great-man-history that he left Napoleon out of his world history series.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

But.

But the Napoleonic Wars!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

my dad posted:

Flora Sandes - English British nurse who joined the Serbian army and reached the rank of Captain by the end of the war.

Her memoir An English Woman-Sergeant in the Serbian Army is on archive.org!

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 14, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

Her memoir An English Woman-Sergeant in the Serbian Army is on archive.org!

Link fix:

https://archive.org/details/englishwomanserg00sanduoft

my dad fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 14, 2014

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Why would you need to do that? It's completely correct.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

Why would you need to do that? It's completely correct.

You lef something ou a the end.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FAUXTON posted:

Wasn't there some Roman writing on Gallic/Celtic/Germanic women in combat?
I am recalling stuff like the Cimbri being described as having women basically guarding the supply wagons and being the ones who go :commissar: (and then :suicide:) if the men start running away from the front.
I vaguely remember translating some dispatch from the Boudica war where some Roman commander was complaining that the locals were uncivilised and the woman and children were shivving the gently caress out of his guys instead of the usual casual rape/murder/whatever his Legionaires were expecting.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In Henry V, an English lieutenant captures a French soldier and plans to kill him until the soldier promises to pay him 200 crowns for his freedom. How did they enforce that kind of thing? Would the enemy commanders pay all the ransoms after a battle, or would the captured soldiers need to write home for the money?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

In Henry V, an English lieutenant captures a French soldier and plans to kill him until the soldier promises to pay him 200 crowns for his freedom. How did they enforce that kind of thing? Would the enemy commanders pay all the ransoms after a battle, or would the captured soldiers need to write home for the money?

It'd be your own money, or your family's. You'd be laughingstock for suggesting your liege pay your ransom, any self-respecting French nobleman lived by his own means.

Ransoms would be enforced by taking the ransomee prisoner. I don't know what happens in Henry V, but you wouldn't let then trundle home. In reality, most of the French prisoners at Agincourt were murdered shortly after the battle, despite promises of ransom money. That order came from good king Henry himself.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 14, 2014

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In some cases noblemen simply promised on their honor to come back with ransom money, I know that was the case after Teutonic Order's guests surrendered at Grunwald. I think Teutonic Order fronted their ransoms too.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Did feudal Bishoprics have knights serving under them?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

If you're an officer you have your own assets and in large part they're what you went to war with (the dudes I read sometimes bitch about this). If you get captured for ransom you either try to pay up at the time or try to scrape it up however you can while you're a prisoner: check out my Pappenheim post for an example, where the prisoner ended up getting help from one of his enemies.

This practice varies by place in the social order; Francis I's ransom was heavy diplomatic concessions to Charles V.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_I_of_France#Military_action

Edit: The way the dudes on the ground talk about Francis I's capture is neat; there's a Landsknecht song that states that "Emperor Francis of France fell into von Frundsberg's hands" at the Battle of Pavia, while one of the dudes who actually captured him ends up being called "the victor of Pavia." The part where this whole thing is at the behest of some head of state, vague and far-off, fades into the background. And why shouldn't it? We just captured a loving emperor, ¡hot drat!

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 14, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arquinsiel posted:

I vaguely remember translating some dispatch from the Boudica war where some Roman commander was complaining that the locals were uncivilised and the woman and children were shivving the gently caress out of his guys instead of the usual casual rape/murder/whatever his Legionaires were expecting.

Wait, so just like some kid rolls up to Gnaeus Douchius Maximus of Legio II Ursus and just stabs that motherfuck in the balls?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

FAUXTON posted:

Wait, so just like some kid rolls up to Gnaeus Douchius Maximus of Legio II Ursus and just stabs that motherfuck in the balls?

While Stultus Maximus discovers that raping the kid's mother is challenging when you have been disemboweled by her obsidian carving knife, yes.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It'd be your own money, or your family's. You'd be laughingstock for suggesting your liege pay your ransom, any self-respecting French nobleman lived by his own means.

Ransoms would be enforced by taking the ransomee prisoner. I don't know what happens in Henry V, but you wouldn't let then trundle home. In reality, most of the French prisoners at Agincourt were murdered shortly after the battle, despite promises of ransom money. That order came from good king Henry himself.

The Face of Battle is well regarded but pretty old (I think?) but it's been one of my only real contact points for srs bizznizz milhist, and if I remember right there's a section in there discussing why that order came down and who followed it. Henry was spooked by a raid on his supplies (by the local noblity who just happened to have two armies park on his land) and was worried that all these 'surrendered' dudes were, well, hanging out in a battlefield where there were a lot of weapons lying around. The book mentioned that the English men at arms were reluctant to make with the killing (since the rules of ransom would protect them if the tables ever turned) but that the longbowmen, who would be hosed if they ever got captured, were more willing to do what needed to be done. The author also proposed that the French attack concentraded on the English men at arms not because fighting leaders wasn't honorable, but because it wasn't profitable. (End "I read a book 10 years ago" disclaimer)

The ransom politics of Greek warfare is pretty interesting as well. For the dead there was actually a very involved culture of recovering the bodies and erecting triumphs, so much so that Athens once had generals executed for winning a battle, but spending too much time pursuin the enemy and not doing enough to recover the dead (it was a naval battle so there's sort of a time limit when it comes to the damaged ships.)

As far as the living go there was much less protocol. Defeated sides either retreated in good order, were routed, or were massacred. If you were captured you generally were sold into slavery but mass surrenders and negotiations over their fate like happens pretty rarely. Of course, sometimes a significant percentage of the adult male spartan citizenry decide to chill on an island with the Athenian navy near by and the whole war comes to a screeching halt as Sparta rolls over and begs for mercy, so there is that.

The protocols for sieges were also less developed than in, say, Hegel's day. Advanced negotiation boiled down to the Melian Dialogue option (surrender now or we'll kill every male below the age of 45 and sell everyone else into slavery) but while that did result in some quick capitulations it turned what sieges do occur into pretty personal, fight to the last bloody citizen affairs. (In undergrad I had a foreign affairs major come up to me and explain how the Melian Dialogue formed the foundation of the realist school of foreign policy and how everyone had to either be Athens or you would be the Melians and how the world would run so much smoother if the Melians of the world just rolled over and saved everyone the trouble of genociding them. I really hope that was just them being a sophomore and that he was misunderstanding his own field as badly as he was misunderstanding Thucy.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

the JJ posted:

(In undergrad I had a foreign affairs major come up to me and explain how the Melian Dialogue formed the foundation of the realist school of foreign policy and how everyone had to either be Athens or you would be the Melians and how the world would run so much smoother if the Melians of the world just rolled over and saved everyone the trouble of genociding them. I really hope that was just them being a sophomore and that he was misunderstanding his own field as badly as he was misunderstanding Thucy.)
He's a sophomore and is oversimplifying the Realist position/s. Even 17th century heads of state are concerned with international custom and the court of public opinion. You can believe, as I do, that international affairs are an amoral field while still thinking that genocide is a really bad idea.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 14, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FAUXTON posted:

Apparently they used to like crawling under the shields when everyone was preocupied with the grownups so... basically yeah.

That said, it could just have been a "they totally started it" justification for killing the gently caress out of the Iceni and Trinovantes that a dude was making up so as to prevent Caesar being annoyed at him too.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

He's a sophomore and is oversimplifying the Realist position/s. Even 17th century heads of state are concerned with international custom and the court of public opinion. You can believe, as I do, that international affairs are an amoral field while still thinking that genocide is a really bad idea.

Sure, pragmatism is a thing, but that specific case was "the Athenians make stupidly outrageous demands backed by threats that they could carry out but only at considerable cost. This would have worked had they been dealing with rational actor motivated in they way they were motivated but they were dealing with bone headed colonists from Sparta so of course they took the gently caress-you spite option.

And thus the Athenians ended up besieging and blockading some shithole flyspeck island with no strategic value for a couple of years and then got nothing out of the deal. All this in a war they ended up losing in part because they spent as much time keeping their "allies" in line as they did actually fighting the Spartans. The "gently caress you I've got a big stick" option is a very important part of diplomacy and foreign policy but if that's the lesson you're getting from that incident is that the Athenians played it well you need to step back and look at which of those two sides ultimately won the war.

Saying "the Melians should have given in and so Athens wouldn't have had to waste all those resources" somewhat misses the point that the Melians didn't give in and so the Athenians had to waste all those resources.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

On a related note to ransom, how common was the concept of parole? It seems bizarre in the modern context that you'd just let a bunch of guys go in exchange for a promise not to take up arms against them again, but I'm guessing early modern states didn't really have any means to take care of these guys if they didn't release them? Was the promise not to take up arms again taken seriously by everyone?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

On a related note to ransom, how common was the concept of parole? It seems bizarre in the modern context that you'd just let a bunch of guys go in exchange for a promise not to take up arms against them again, but I'm guessing early modern states didn't really have any means to take care of these guys if they didn't release them? Was the promise not to take up arms again taken seriously by everyone?
In the 17th century it's quite common, but you don't make them swear never to take up arms against you or your allies again (that would be unrealistic and who'd be so cruel as to deprive a worker of his job?)--usually three months. Unfortunately, at the social level we're talking about there's no real way to track if they kept their oath.

Edit: It's more efficient to enlist them, depriving your enemies of soldiers at the same time as you increase your own numbers.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 14, 2014

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The idea of parole started to die off in the ACW, where guys who had been paroled kept on getting captured over and over again.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

The idea of parole started to die off in the ACW, where guys who had been paroled kept on getting captured over and over again.

Well, it's also that the South refused to parole captured black soldiers and in they only stopped murdering black POWs when Lincoln threatened to start doing the same to Southern prisoners.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 14, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What are some good books to read on the Napoleonic Wars? Is there a Napoleonic equivalent to Wilson? How did my life lead me to a place where I know more about the 30YW than the Napoleonic Wars?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Patrick Spens posted:

Well, it's also that the South refused to parole captured black soldier's and in they only stopped murdering black POWs when Lincoln threatened to start doing them same to Southern prisoners.

Heritage, not hate :cryingJeffersonflag:.

Seriously though, holy gently caress that is terrible on so many levels :stare:. Are there hard numbers for how many black POWs were murdered, just so I have something else to bring up when people say that the CSA wasn't racist*?

*Other than the constitution of the CSA and the slaves.

EDIT: I just realized I pretty much said the same thing three times.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 14, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rincewind posted:

How did my life lead me to a place where I know more about the 30YW than the Napoleonic Wars?
:puckout:
My posting.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Most of them they didn't even bother to accept the surrender

quote:

Conflicting reports of what happened next, from 4:00PM to dusk, led to controversy. Union and Confederate sources claimed that even though the Union troops surrendered, Forrest's men massacred them in cold blood. Surviving members of the garrison said that most of their men surrendered and threw down their arms, only to be shot or bayoneted by the attackers, who repeatedly shouted, "No quarter! No quarter!"[10] The Joint Committee On the Conduct of the War immediately investigated the incident and concluded that the Confederates shot most of the garrison after it had surrendered.

:sherman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

When did that get bought?

• Locked thread