Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

Well, every 4th word in the Powers comic IS gently caress, so that's accurate.

And if you mean in Arrow, yes. I believe they even use the name in her next appearance.

I don't remember that much swearing, but it's been a while since i've read it.

Okay, I knew I've seen people mention Huntress was on the show, and girl in purple with a crossbow, not really many fit that discripion.

John Barrowman is just so evil, but still so charming, and baby faced. I swear, his son looks old than he does. Though I kinda wish I haddn't watched the few episodes at the end of the second season to know characters we thought were dead would come back.

I know its not really a complex costume, but I am impressed they managed to do a near perfect Deathstroke costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56234

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I hope there's some other way to watch Powers than through Playstation.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Powers has been a weird adaption idea from the getgo. I mean, I can clearly see why it would attractive for adaption, it fits right in with the current zeitgeist, it's a crime drama and probably comparatively cheap to make, since heroes and superpowers are actually not the focus.

But at the same time, it's just not iconic or good enough to merit an adaption. The idea of a former hero who joins the actual police is somewhat interesting, but the actual comic rarely actually goes anywhere with it and overall it's just a pretty generic "protagonist must investigate community they used to be part of and undiscovered dark secret" plot.

And, on a side note, I was under the impression that Walkers identity as a former superhero was actually not that well known, especially not to his colleagues.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Error 404 posted:

I hope there's some other way to watch Powers than through Playstation.

You can watch PSN content on a PC using Sony's MediaGo program.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

twistedmentat posted:

John Barrowman is just so evil, but still so charming, and baby faced. I swear, his son looks old than he does.
On paper the age gap is fine (they're 15 years apart), it's just that Barrowman looks younger and Colin Donnell looks older.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, Rosario Dawson is, of course, playing Elek Ech Mil Claire Temple?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Doctor Spaceman posted:

On paper the age gap is fine (they're 15 years apart), it's just that Barrowman looks younger and Colin Donnell looks older.

If you watch the first episodes he was in from Doctor Who he looks pretty much the same age. And those were over 10 years ago.

And holy crap Ben Browder?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

I don't remember that much swearing, but it's been a while since i've read it.

Okay, I knew I've seen people mention Huntress was on the show, and girl in purple with a crossbow, not really many fit that discripion.

John Barrowman is just so evil, but still so charming, and baby faced. I swear, his son looks old than he does. Though I kinda wish I haddn't watched the few episodes at the end of the second season to know characters we thought were dead would come back.

I know its not really a complex costume, but I am impressed they managed to do a near perfect Deathstroke costume.

In her second appearance on Arrow, Huntress goes undercover as a stripper in an outfit based on the comic costume, that's less revealing then her actual comic costume

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

In her second appearance on Arrow, Huntress goes undercover as a stripper in an outfit based on the comic costume, that's less revealing then her actual comic costume

Hah, that's fantastic.

Also, I asked in the TVIV Arrow thread, with Arrow and Flash becoming the start of a possible JL tv series (minus the big 3), could we have a Green Lantern appear, and they said no. They did drop Coast City through.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

Hah, that's fantastic.

Also, I asked in the TVIV Arrow thread, with Arrow and Flash becoming the start of a possible JL tv series (minus the big 3), could we have a Green Lantern appear, and they said no. They did drop Coast City through.

They aren't going to do a JL tv series.

Edit: They aren't going to do a JL tv show again

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 12, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Very cool. I really dig the blindfold-hood-costume deal, and also look forward to a less thrown together costume. I'm so hyped for this series despite not really knowing anything about it or having any real reason to be hyped for it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Summary of the panel, tons of info: http://screenrant.com/daredevil-netflix-nycc-panel-footage-preview/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...A Mike Murdock joke? Wow.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

That Man Without Fear outfit is awesome. I'm glad to see that it certainly looks like they're drawing from Miller's run. I hope they actually go as far as Miller's run did, considering how Marvel's cheaped out of doing Tony's alcoholism it'd be stupid if they watered down Daredevil as badly.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

twistedmentat posted:

So, i on a whim bought season 1 Arrow, and uh, i feel really dumb for not watching this from day one.

You have failed this city.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Gaz-L posted:

...A Mike Murdock joke? Wow.

This show may end up even been more than I could have ever wanted :allears:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wow, that looks just like the costume from that Incredible Hulk/Daredevil crossover movie in the 80s.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
They do mention that it's his first costume in the show, so I'm guessing we'll see him don the crimson sometime around halfway through this season.

The reactions to the footage sound amazing. I really hope we see a trailer relatively soon because my expectations are starting to build up wildly.

They're drawing from Miller and Bendis, they've got a great cast and characters (Vanessa! Ben! Night Nurse!,) and they're giving me a 13-hour block of Daredevil all at once.

I'm honestly more excited for this than I am for any of those slated MCU releases right now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

They aren't going to do a JL tv series.

Edit: They aren't going to do a JL tv show again

Well, i meant essentally they are building a JLA world within the TV series.

Anyways, the post was correct, Huntress's stripper outfit was a more modest comics one. Lacked the ab window.

And yea, that DD outfit looks like an early version of the outfit, the kind that the hero puts together out of stuff they have in their closet, before making a perfectly made and tailored costume on.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

It's essentially the Man Without Fear sweats costume.

Sumo fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 12, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Well, i meant essentally they are building a JLA world within the TV series.

Anyways, the post was correct, Huntress's stripper outfit was a more modest comics one. Lacked the ab window.

And yea, that DD outfit looks like an early version of the outfit, the kind that the hero puts together out of stuff they have in their closet, before making a perfectly made and tailored costume on.

I think her stripper disguise isn't as low cut either.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

I think her stripper disguise isn't as low cut either.

I finished season one, now onto season 2. The Island stuff is like a better version of Lost.

The only really goanworthy thing was Lurals mom going "i'm going back to Central City, I'll be gone in a FLASH". The only way it could be worse would be "I hear in Coast City, they have a GREEN LANTERN festival" or "There's a lot of BATS in Gotham". I assume Gotham exists in the Arrow/Flash universe, with the League of Shadows and Ras running around.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bludhaven has been seen on screen, I can't remember if there's been an explicit Gotham mention.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Started out bad, but the last seconds kind of redeemed it. The lack of focus on actual superheroes (like, in a costume and everything) is really weird.

I actually attended the NYCC Powers panel. They didn't go into a whole lot of detail, but currently they are in the middle of shooting episode 3 of 10. It was sorta a weird panel, because they are just really starting to get into it, so there wasn't a whole lot of specific information to give out. It's going to depart from the comics - basically lifting some plots, but weaving a new story line. The claim was it was being shot as a 10 chapter story, so theoretically no villain of the episode type stuff - just one long story.

Zora, Calista and Retro Girl are going to have their own sub plots, so superheroes are going to be in there somewhere. Like Zora is going to be an up and coming superhero rather than an established one. Also, Walker isn't a particularly good a detective, and is basically being used for connections with the superhero community, and Deena will be the competent detective.

Bendis is also writing one of the later episodes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I finished season one, now onto season 2. The Island stuff is like a better version of Lost.

The only really goanworthy thing was Lurals mom going "i'm going back to Central City, I'll be gone in a FLASH". The only way it could be worse would be "I hear in Coast City, they have a GREEN LANTERN festival" or "There's a lot of BATS in Gotham". I assume Gotham exists in the Arrow/Flash universe, with the League of Shadows and Ras running around.

Well yes that would have been worse because those aren't terms that refer to time.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

twistedmentat posted:

Those kind of puns is exactly the kind of groan worthy dialogue that Gotham on Fox is filled with.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dacap posted:

Those kind of puns is exactly the kind of groan worthy dialogue that Gotham on Fox is filled with.

Yep, which is also pretty painful in the dialog department. I'm waiting for some two bit criminals to say to one another "What are you afraid of bats?".

The whole Cat dialog was by far the worst in the series so far. That anything involving Barbara Gordon.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The running joke of people telling young Oswald Cobblebot "You look like a penguin" followed by his enragement has gotten old real quick.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

Yep, which is also pretty painful in the dialog department. I'm waiting for some two bit criminals to say to one another "What are you afraid of bats?".

The whole Cat dialog was by far the worst in the series so far. That anything involving Barbara Gordon.

But she can see in the dark. Like a Cat. Which is what she calls herself. Because she will become Catwoman. Get it?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

At this age shouldn't she be calling herself the Kitten?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

I broke down and watched (part of) the second episode since I had forgotten I had set a season pass through tivo, and boy howdy, was that awful. I could only bring myself to really watch the scenes with The Balloon Man (seriously, wha?) because at least that was stupid enough to be somewhat entertaining. Just end it now, please.

edit: oh, it was the third episode. well, whatever, still terrible.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 13, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
God, I'm weirdly invested in Gotham. I mean, it's not good, but I'm hesitant to call it straight up bad because it's only three episodes in, but it really needs to keep a proper balance between "character focused procedural" and "Batman rogues gallery origins" and I'm not certain if it can actually do that (God knows they haven't yet). And yet, the end of episode three made me go "oh poo poo" and want to keep watching so it must be doing something right? It got its 16 episode first season extended to 22 episodes just recently, so it must be doing good ratings on pissing off Batman fans.

I do think the guys playing Bullock and Penguin are doing a pretty good job though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

catlord posted:

God, I'm weirdly invested in Gotham. I mean, it's not good, but I'm hesitant to call it straight up bad because it's only three episodes in, but it really needs to keep a proper balance between "character focused procedural" and "Batman rogues gallery origins" and I'm not certain if it can actually do that (God knows they haven't yet). And yet, the end of episode three made me go "oh poo poo" and want to keep watching so it must be doing something right? It got its 16 episode first season extended to 22 episodes just recently, so it must be doing good ratings on pissing off Batman fans.

I do think the guys playing Bullock and Penguin are doing a pretty good job though.

Gotham's ratings are good thus far, but the additional six-episode order probably has more to do with how badly nearly everything else on Fox is doing this season. Their existing shows are all in decline, and Gracepoint, Red Band Society, and Mulaney have all bombed despite high marketing budgets.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Barry Convex posted:

Gotham's ratings are good thus far, but the additional six-episode order probably has more to do with how badly nearly everything else on Fox is doing this season. Their existing shows are all in decline, and Gracepoint, Red Band Society, and Mulaney have all bombed despite high marketing budgets.

Brooklyn Nine Nine gained in the ratings from last year.

Therefore silly cop shows are golden :downs:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Gracepoint was only ever getting 10 episodes anyway.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Gracepoint was only ever getting 10 episodes anyway.

So were Fargo and True Detective. And Broadchurch is similarly getting a sequel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A second season doesn't mean more episodes this season.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think I misunderstood. I took you to be saying that Gracepoint's ratings were irrelevant because it was a one-off, when good ratings would've meant they'd do more next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah. I meant Gracepoint's ratings wouldn't affect Gotham's order. It wasn't getting any more than 10 this year either way.