Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I want to play 2004 era Extended.

I'd be down for 2010 era Extended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRxCeO2KIS8&t=480s

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Really hard to believe thats not scripted. Opening a one in a million several thousand dollar card calls for more amazement than that.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

Really hard to believe thats not scripted. Opening a one in a million several thousand dollar card calls for more amazement than that.

nah that sounds exactly like i would expect (one way) for a person to react. Initial burst of amazement and then continued disbelief that it actually happened

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Could easily be legit. I know I'd be stunned as gently caress if something like that happened. Hell, I'd probably crumple the card out of pure shock.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I wonder if MTGO will do what they did with the Ravnica/RTR blocks.

But with Mirrodin/Scars blocks. I'd draft that.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

meanolmrcloud posted:

Can you not see him literally shaking?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Its a guy who has several boxes of all of it. I think he was like a store owner in the early 90s and then lost them all in storage, but then they were recovered recently. He's opened a lot of Power 9 already in his other videos.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Man so i put together a Modern UR delver build yesterday with Cruise x4 and Swiftspear and it took a little tinkering, but the ONLY set I have lost so far is due to a bug in MODO + drawing 14 of my 18 lands in my first 30 cards in g2. This deck isn't just the real deal, it's super degenerate and nothing that isn't also running a set of Cruises or Digs has any real chance from what I'm seeing.

The good news is I've been streaming consistently to about 50-500 people who keep running off to make the deck since it's dirt cheap and comically goood so hopefully MODO will be utterly flooded by hordes of UR delver bullshit decks and maybe we'll see bans sooner rather than later.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

I Love You! posted:

Man so i put together a Modern UR delver build yesterday with Cruise x4 and Swiftspear and it took a little tinkering, but the ONLY set I have lost so far is due to a bug in MODO + drawing 14 of my 18 lands in my first 30 cards in g2. This deck isn't just the real deal, it's super degenerate and nothing that isn't also running a set of Cruises or Digs has any real chance from what I'm seeing.

The good news is I've been streaming consistently to about 50-500 people who keep running off to make the deck since it's dirt cheap and comically goood so hopefully MODO will be utterly flooded by hordes of UR delver bullshit decks and maybe we'll see bans sooner rather than later.

Please nor before the iq I'm going too that has $1000 first prize. Care to share your list?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jassi007 posted:

Please nor before the iq I'm going too that has $1000 first prize. Care to share your list?

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Young Pyromancer
2 Burst Lightning
2 Twisted Image
4 Treasure Cruise
4 Serum Visions
2 Spell Pierce
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Polluted Delta
1 Sulfur Falls
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Steam Vents
1 Flooded Strand
3 Island
1 Mountain
2 Forked Bolt
3 Vapor Snag
3 Thought Scour
2 Snapcaster Mage

2 Dragon's Claw
2 Blood Moon
1 Electrickery
1 Flame Slash
1 Izzet Staticaster
2 Magma Spray
2 Combust
1 Grim Lavamancer
2 Shattering Spree
1 Dispel

The lavamancer has been a dead SB card in most matchups. I'd rather just Cruise more. Snapcasters are also a weak link, I might cut them down to 1, but occasionally Bolt-Snapcaster-Bolt is a winning play when little else would be. Pyromancer feels right at 2. I never want more than one and I can cruise until I find one if I care, and realistically I want it midgame and not early on because it does nothing to advance my gameplan (which is cantrip/throw bolts at face to feed Cruise and make opponent backpedal constantly).

I'd bump Twisted Image count to 3 if you anticipate a lot of Jeskai Combo or Zoo, it performs well in both those matchups. I would bump the image/counter count even more if you expect to be flooded by Ascendancy but not otherwise.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 13, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

*Dirt cheap if you already have the stupid expensive modern manabase.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Getting cheaper every day with fetches reprint, and you can work around alliance fetchlands if you need to. This is especially true with shock lands at the cheapest they will ever be. They trade one on one for some standard pain lands, which is insane.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SCG has Steam Vents at 10 bucks, Scalding Tarn at 50 and Polluted Delta at 25, and as Deofuta already said, fetch prices are going even lower, not to mention the coming reprint of the ZEN fetches as well. Yeah, 300+$ bucks isn't dirt cheap, but the list is very unoptimized in terms of pure savings. Hell, right off the bad, if you replaced 3 of the Tarns with 3 more Flooded Strands, you'd save 90 bucks or something right there, with a minor downside (not being able to fetch the solitary basic Mountain).

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah I mean, for a non-RDW deck I expect lands to cost SOMETHING and they're cheaper at the moment than they have pretty much ever been as a whole. And nothing else in the deck comes with much of a price tag outside of the Blood Moons in the side (and I could see them being cut for more aggressive options). And as stated you can cut the prices quite a bit by shuffling the lands around.

For a slamdunk tier-1 deck you don't really get less expensive than this.

Edit: And when you're talking online, you're looking at about 16-19 per tarn, 2.5 for the vents, 6-8 for the strands and deltas. That's ridiculously cheap compared to most decklists. On top of that, none of these cards are flash-in-the-pan investments. Yeah, they might reprint some of the fetches but they're just going to climb back after that rotates, and lands in general are going to hold value or increase in value as time passes.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 14, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Deofuta posted:

Getting cheaper every day with fetches reprint, and you can work around alliance fetchlands if you need to. This is especially true with shock lands at the cheapest they will ever be. They trade one on one for some standard pain lands, which is insane.

They trade almost 1-to-1 with Standard Pain Lands not named Caves of Koilos.

Get 'em while they're there. Pain Lands will fall back to ~$3 tops after they rotate but Shocks can, and probably will, climb.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Oh my god, Pyrokinesis is hilarious in legacy U/R delver. I'm only running one but it's lead to a few blowouts other cards just wouldn't be able to give. (also it's a great big middle finger to Elves)

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Got a list for your UR delver? I haven't updated mine since after khans, wondering what people are running.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Thanks for that list, it makes me feel better that I can get a T1 deck together without having to sell organs on the black market.

Granted, I still need those Tarns. :argh:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Wingmate Roc is up to like 16 bucks which is where it should've been all along.

Tell me more about where Sorin should have been all along and how much Necropolis Fiend has exploded in price.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

Thanks for that list, it makes me feel better that I can get a T1 deck together without having to sell organs on the black market.

Fear not. We have an ~80% chance of ZEN Fetches being reprinted in ~6 months.

Or has that been definitively confirmed by now?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

Fear not. We have an ~80% chance of ZEN Fetches being reprinted in ~6 months.

Or has that been definitively confirmed by now?

B-b-but they'll have :frogsiren:UGLY ART!!:frogsiren:

And then my single Zenditarn won't match :qq:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 14, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

The real fear is how long they let Treasure Cruise stick around, games have consistently come down to who can Cruise earliest and most often no matter what deck I'm matched against. Thankfully this delver build tends to be geared towards the quickest and most relevant Cruises so it wins more often than not.

gently caress it, I'm going to stream some Modern UR Delve/Cruse right now, come watch if you want to see how silly this list is, win or lose:

https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 14, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I Love You! posted:

The real fear is how long they let Treasure Cruise stick around, games have consistently come down to who can Cruise earliest and most often.

Imagine the fear in the Goyfbuyer's heart when theor opponent makes their really awesome 6/7 a 3/4 and all he did was draw 3. :getin:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I may or may not be brewing a tribal zoo deck with 2 cruise in it. So much value.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I Love You! posted:

The real fear is how long they let Treasure Cruise stick around, games have consistently come down to who can Cruise earliest and most often no matter what deck I'm matched against. Thankfully this delver build tends to be geared towards the quickest and most relevant Cruises so it wins more often than not.

gently caress it, I'm going to stream some Modern UR Delve/Cruse right now, come watch if you want to see how silly this list is, win or lose:

https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator

I'm watching the channel and it says live but I'm not seeing anything, just a black screen.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

JerryLee posted:

I'm watching the channel and it says live but I'm not seeing anything, just a black screen.

FIXED, i rule. Now you can watch me flood mana and get punched in the face by infect!

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 14, 2014

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Hey guys! If you remember from a couple pages ago, I am really new to Magic. I pulled a Sorin and in my first official deck I'd like to run White/Black. I have 3 Bloodsoaked Champions, but I don't really have many good creatures. I'm running a bunch of removals such as Kill Shot and End Hostilities. My featured creatures is mostly a bunch of soldiers (Chief of the Edge, Chief of the Blade, Mardu Hateblades, Sultai Scavengers, etc...) They seemed like a good idea for a bunch of 1 and 2 drops, but I think I need to do more damage. I'm going to buy four Wingmate Rocs because they are really strong and I need to find some better spells.

I'm mostly rambling, so I guess my question is can a white/black deck featuring Sorin work? Will it be any good? I think most of the local standard players just try to copy the most recent top 8 decks, but I rather try to do something while using the majority of cards I have (which is just Khans). I'd still like to know what synergy there is in standard white/black. Thanks!

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Seymour Butts posted:

Hey guys! If you remember from a couple pages ago, I am really new to Magic. I pulled a Sorin and in my first official deck I'd like to run White/Black. I have 3 Bloodsoaked Champions, but I don't really have many good creatures. I'm running a bunch of removals such as Kill Shot and End Hostilities. My featured creatures is mostly a bunch of soldiers (Chief of the Edge, Chief of the Blade, Mardu Hateblades, Sultai Scavengers, etc...) They seemed like a good idea for a bunch of 1 and 2 drops, but I think I need to do more damage. I'm going to buy four Wingmate Rocs because they are really strong and I need to find some better spells.

I'm mostly rambling, so I guess my question is can a white/black deck featuring Sorin work? Will it be any good? I think most of the local standard players just try to copy the most recent top 8 decks, but I rather try to do something while using the majority of cards I have (which is just Khans). I'd still like to know what synergy there is in standard white/black. Thanks!

A white-black aggressive deck with Sorin certainly could work. The Chiefs, Bloodsoaked Champion, and Sorin are all good choices. Some of your other cards are a little less exciting though. Kill Shot is both too defensive and too weak to really be playable in a standard deck. End Hostilities is a fine sideboard card, but playing it in a creature-heavy, aggressive archetype is unlikely to work out. Wingmate Roc is probably too expensive in combination with the other cards you're considering, so save your money. Mardu Hateblade and Sultai Scavenger are also a bit lacking.

Some cards I'd look at instead are Murderous Cut, Mardu Skullhunter, and Tormented Hero (a warrior!). I would build the deck as mostly black, splashing for the BW cards. I think the deck overall is likely to be quite playable at your local level, though it folds pretty quickly against any of the Abzan decks from the PT that people will be playing.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Seymour Butts posted:

Yes. Sorin is a very good. +1/+0 and Lifelink until your next turn is great especially on a wide board (lots of smaller creatures).

Since you have a deck full of Warriors you can consider Rush of Battle as a good game swinger and Raider's Spoils for a card drawing engine (nobody wants to block Mardu Hateblade).

You can also consider adding a Green or Red splash to the deck for more options but that has to be carefully balanced and will involve spending a good amount of money on lands to make it more consistent. You can do it without the proper lands but it'll be slower and not quite as good.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Merfolk has been putting up 4-0 and 3-1 records in the last couple weeks online and is like $100.

E: Not to say it's T1, but it's a solid deck.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 14, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Merfolk has been putting up 4-0 and 3-1 records in the last couple weeks online and is like $100.

I mean I have that built too.

Did Treasure Cruise do that too?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I mean I have that built too.

Did Treasure Cruise do that too?

Haven't seen a deck running yet in the dailies. I don't know if merfolk pitches enough cards to make it worthwhile.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Haven't seen a deck running yet in the dailies. I don't know if merfolk pitches enough cards to make it worthwhile.

It does run a fair share of counterspells and generally a couple of fish will die in the long term. Maybe!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
News Flash: Restore Balance deck beats UR delver, every time.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
First round of my 4-3-2-2 M15 draft, opponent draws his hand, and concedes. 2 minutes later, he drops and I win the match.

Don't play 4-3-2-2s.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Veyrall posted:

That was so painful to watch.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jassi007 posted:

That was so painful to watch.

That ruled, don't lie. I was rooting for him by the end. It was that or keep rooting to draw a single land and that was getting real old real fast.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Veyrall posted:

Couldn't cruise your way out of losing all your land and handful of cantrips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Veyrall posted:

Now I'm curious. Where did this happen?

• Locked thread