Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Hekk posted:

It was pretty funny but I would have paid to change it out of shame.

also funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I enjoy knowing I made you angry enough to shell out :10bux: to shame me.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Do reservists get any part of the Post 9/11 GI Bill? Everything says MGIB-SR but other places say it's possible to get 60% Post-9/11 benefits.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Hekk posted:

I enjoy knowing I made you angry enough to shell out :10bux: to shame me.

unlike most veterans and and SA member $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Sasgrillo posted:

Do reservists get any part of the Post 9/11 GI Bill? Everything says MGIB-SR but other places say it's possible to get 60% Post-9/11 benefits.

Only if you were activated. Training (boot / mct / school) don't count unless you have something like 18 months active. We are running out of wars so your chances of being activated are slim unless you are extremely lucky/unlucky depending on how you look at it. If you were activated, you don't top out at 60, you can get a whole 100% if you got activated for 3 years or more (or 30 months + 6 months of training). I'll have to check my paperwork when I get home to verify when exactly the training starts counting. Generally as an activated reservist, you are going to be more in the 40-60 range though due to how long deployments take.

edit: corrected how long it takes active to get to 100%

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 26, 2014

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Reservists, at least for the Army get MGIB-SR unless mobilized or AGR. But NG, depending on your state get some pretty cake education benefits that can be well worth it.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Thanks for clearing that up Best Friends.

DoktorLoken posted:

Reservists, at least for the Army get MGIB-SR unless mobilized or AGR. But NG, depending on your state get some pretty cake education benefits that can be well worth it.

I hadn't even considered NG or ANG but apparently I should. New Jersey offers 100% free tuition for 30 public universities in the state. Which sounds way too good to be true so imagine there are some serious hoops to jump through. I'll have to look that up when I have a chance.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Best Friends posted:

Only if you were activated. Training (boot / mct / school) don't count unless you have something like 18 months active. We are running out of wars so your chances of being activated are slim unless you are extremely lucky/unlucky depending on how you look at it. If you were activated, you don't top out at 60, you can get a whole 100% if you got activated for 3 years or more (or 30 months + 6 months of training). I'll have to check my paperwork when I get home to verify when exactly the training starts counting. Generally as an activated reservist, you are going to be more in the 40-60 range though due to how long deployments take.

edit: corrected how long it takes active to get to 100%

Once you have been on active duty for 24 months, excluding intial entry training, your initial entry training counts. I'm like 90% sure that a reservist with 0 active duty time outside of intial entry training will receive 9/11 GI Bill benefits at the 40% rate.

Its not just deployments that will accrue active duty time. Any active duty time that generates a DD-214 will accrue time. Annual Training and drills do not accrue active duty time for 9/11 GI Bill purposes.

Generally, after one 1 year federal activation, a reservist will be at 60%. An additional year of federal activation will put them at least at 80%.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Awesome, thanks for the correction. I have been trying to figure this stuff out myself and clearly I have not succeeded.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
God help me I actually signed papers I am a fool.

My eyes are apparently not -quite- 20/20 correctable so lost out on the MOS I wanted but I was able to pick up a 15H slot (aircraft pneudraulics repair, essentially working hydraulic, pneumatic and fuel systems) so I'll be ground crew for helicopters, which doesn't seem like a bad gig to me since it's what I wanted to do as a career anyway.

How terrible of a mistake have I made and does anyone have any idea where I'm likely to be stationed?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

ArbitraryTA posted:

God help me I actually signed papers I am a fool.

My eyes are apparently not -quite- 20/20 correctable so lost out on the MOS I wanted but I was able to pick up a 15H slot (aircraft pneudraulics repair, essentially working hydraulic, pneumatic and fuel systems) so I'll be ground crew for helicopters, which doesn't seem like a bad gig to me since it's what I wanted to do as a career anyway.

How terrible of a mistake have I made and does anyone have any idea where I'm likely to be stationed?

No matter where you are stationed, it will be the absolute shittiest part of that lovely region.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
Aviation dudes are chill as gently caress. None of them follow any rules meant for the dirty masses.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

zombie303 posted:

No matter where you are stationed, it will be the absolute shittiest part of that lovely region.

I'm shooting for Carson, expecting bumfuck Alaska/Alabama

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

ArbitraryTA posted:

Don't rule out Korea.

That goes both ways. Down south, and you'll be living large. Up north, just throw yourself into the tail rotor.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

not caring here posted:

Don't rule out Korea.

That goes both ways. Down south, and you'll be living large. Up north, just throw yourself into the tail rotor.

At the rate they were throwing poo poo up around Humphreys, it's not going to be long before everything from Yongsan on up is relocated there.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

not caring here posted:

Don't rule out Korea.

The morale in the army is so low that most people I talk to see it as better than a generic CONUS base (Bliss, Hood, Campbell, Drum, etc).

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

At the rate they were throwing poo poo up around Humphreys, it's not going to be long before everything from Yongsan on up is relocated there.

This makes me sad because all that fuckin' retardedness from up north is gonna ruin the south. All those SNCOs and O-4 and up just chillin' round the PX food court at Yongsan at all (work) hours of the day because chillin' is illin', and that's where it's at when you've gone full sham.

But this

Nimmy posted:

The morale in the army is so low that most people I talk to see it as better than a generic CONUS base (Bliss, Hood, Campbell, Drum, etc).

scares the loving poo poo out of me.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryTA posted:

Alaska owns if you're at Elmendorf or Ft. Rich. Any other duty station in the state is pure misery.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nimmy posted:

People at Tinker used to long for Dhafra. Hell we had a couple of people volunteer to be ALOs to get away. And about 100/150 tried to get their AD commitments waived so they could get out altogether (18 were approved, including HDI).

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Bugging AFPC everyday may have helped with that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What helped more was not having your wing commander fighting to keep you. Jackass recommended against all but two, both of whom were less than six months from separation anyway.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Sasgrillo posted:

You usually get 60% off one deployment. I got 70% cuz the VA sucks at math :ssh:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Nimmy posted:

lol

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

1) Contact an OFFICER recruiter, do not talk to an enlisted recruiter.

Is there a difference w/r/t the air force? Only one location was recommended to me, the type was not specified on the Find a Recruiter results on their website (as opposed to the separate enlisted / officer locations that popped up when I checked navy recruiter results).

I'm 29, obtained a bachelors degree in IT last year (and a lot of credit hours from before that), pretty confident in the PT requirements and have an interest in their Cyberspace Operation Officer careers (would the navy be a better choice for that?), if any of that is required in order to determine how poor of a choice I am making right now. I tried to talk to their live chat about it, but it appears to be a slow, curt google search instead of an actual chat.

VVV I guess I won't be able to tell without directly calling tomorrow VVV

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 2, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yes there is a difference. The recruiter will probably be enlisted, but only specific recruiters handle officer accessions. The rest might fake it a little, but they literally can't help you...instead, they'll try to get you to enlist with the expectation of commissioning later. Don't loving do it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is ROTC a good way of paying off student debt? The program here says it will pay off up to I think 50k in loans after graduation, but from what I read here they could be full of poo poo. I'll be graduating in the next two years and coming out of school with no student loan debt seems to good to be true.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Average Bear posted:

Is ROTC a good way of paying off student debt? The program here says it will pay off up to I think 50k in loans after graduation, but from what I read here they could be full of poo poo. I'll be graduating in the next two years and coming out of school with no student loan debt seems to good to be true.

The main catch being you're on the hook for at least four years of service after graduation. What are you majoring in?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The main catch being you're on the hook for at least four years of service after graduation. What are you majoring in?

History.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You'll fit in well in the Infantry.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It was kind of a last minute decision, I could switch back to chemistry. Is it worth it if I do the required reserve time rather than active?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Let's assume you get a contract and some tuition assistance and jump forward to graduation. Are you willing to sign away a minimum of four years of your life (six reserve) for something you might absolutely hate but cannot quit for no other reason than having no debt?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Well, given all if GiP is alcoholic, probably not. But the offer was enticing, and it doesn't seem like there's too much involved in reserves. I don't know poo poo though, so I thought I'd ask actual military mans before I sign a Faustian bargain.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pretend that the reserves deploy just as much as the active duty nowadays.

Now pretend that you're not pretending.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My advice to you is to switch to a STEM major, get summer internships, and put the effort you'd have to put into ROTC into studying instead. You'll have student debt, but you'll be more employable than a vet with busted knees and a history degree.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Average Bear posted:

Well, given all if GiP is alcoholic, probably not. But the offer was enticing, and it doesn't seem like there's too much involved in reserves. I don't know poo poo though, so I thought I'd ask actual military mans before I sign a Faustian bargain.

I'm not an alcoholic.

I'm a suicidal pothead with anger issues and psychotic tendencies.

But I'm not a loving alcoholic.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cole posted:

I'm not an alcoholic.

PROBATION 10/13/14 09:58pm Cole The first step is admitting you have a problem. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours. Nostalgia4Infinity Nostalgia4Infinity

But that's for another thread.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cole posted:

I'm not an alcoholic.

mods?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Average Bear posted:

If you really have a hardon for joining the military go for it. Life as an officer (even as the worst possible officer jobs) is 100% better than enlisted. Just realize that no matter what branch you join you will most likely deploy overseas at some point unless you get very very lucky, and any relationship you have with an SO will be strained.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
GiP success story: my degrees got me gently caress all post graduation, the collection of stories here about toxic command climates and mismanagement left such an impression I put down the OCS brochures and changed fields. Currently working an entry level IT job at a great small company with solid pay for my level of experience (read: none) and decent prospects for promotion.

Thanks guys :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Feed Me A Cat posted:

GiP success story: my degrees got me gently caress all post graduation, the collection of stories here about toxic command climates and mismanagement left such an impression I put down the OCS brochures and changed fields. Currently working an entry level IT job at a great small company with solid pay for my level of experience (read: none) and decent prospects for promotion.

Thanks guys :patriot:

Holy poo poo this thread worked for once. You make me proud guy, I think you're the first GiP success story.

• Locked thread