Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I've owned my hamster for two weeks and she's gotten much bigger, but I don't know if it's just because she's growing and getting new things added to her diet or she's pregnant. I really doubt she's pregnant but she is a pet store hamster, so I wouldn't be shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

dj_clawson posted:

I've owned my hamster for two weeks and she's gotten much bigger, but I don't know if it's just because she's growing and getting new things added to her diet or she's pregnant. I really doubt she's pregnant but she is a pet store hamster, so I wouldn't be shocked.

Well if you haven't got any pink squirmies in the next few days you're safe. It's the change in shape that's the giveaway anyway, not just getting bigger in general.

I'm very glad sometimes I got an older adopted lady so that wasn't an issue, I have no idea what I'd do with potentially 10 hams in a 2.5meter square room with no shelves. I'm supposed to do a cage clean tonight and I don't want to. I suck at even minimal responsibility.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bought one of those silent spinner wheels for one of the hamsters(probably will get a second later) and gave it to Sam. She looked at it and then went back to sleep, so I picked her up and put her in it.

Her first instinct was to crawl out of it and hide under it instead. After five minutes of this, she crawled back out and climbed in it so she could chew on the central yellow thing, but finding that it kept spinning whenever she tried to stand up, she stood outside it and stood up to chew on the yellow thing instead. Then she went back to bed. Stupid hamster :mad:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Haha! Who are you to dictate when she learns new things?! She'll do it in her own time!

I like Sam.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I know. :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aaaaaand Sam just started giving birth. WELP

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Aaaaaand Sam just started giving birth. WELP

I've got odds on five babies, who's in? :shepspends:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've got odds on five babies, who's in? :shepspends:

Two so far!

edit: three! :suicide:

Is it safe to give her a little piece of chicken, for protein? I can't go to the pet store since they just closed right as she started giving birth(of course), so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get her some mealworms.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think she might be done. She's covering them so I can't count right now but I wager it's between 4-6 babies. One of them didn't look so hot though, it might've died.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Ahhhhh :neckbeard: no wonder she was telling you to gently caress off with this new wheel!

Poor little runty one but I hope the rest of them are okay. I have literally no experience with hambabies but I don't think it would hurt to drop a bit of protein into her cage so long as you don't disturb her nest, she's going to need it!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, but I need to know if a piece of regular chicken is safe for her to eat.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Well from everything I've heard people boil chicken as a regular protein boost, I give my syrian George Foreman-ed chicken or turkey at least twice a week and she loves it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, I gave her a little piece and she gobbled it right up. Thanks! :)

Also, looking like it might be 5-6 based on luring her out of her nest a little bit.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

That's super, just stuff her full of protein! :D Poor wee thing is having a poo poo time of it being rehomed and preggers and a mum in 2 weeks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sam gave birth to at least seven Pink Squirmies, maybe more, I lured her out of the nest with a bunch of treats. Luckily I have found at least one home for a baby once they are weaned so far, just four others to go. I'd like to keep 2, maybe 3.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I happened to walk over right as Sam went to get some food on the other side of the cage, and got some video of the Pink Squirmies! Also a surprise at the end of the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOPa9fQatsI&hd=1

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I happened to walk over right as Sam went to get some food on the other side of the cage, and got some video of the Pink Squirmies! Also a surprise at the end of the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOPa9fQatsI&hd=1

Hey! You didn't give me time to complain that there were no pictures!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Captain Invictus, I can't decide if you have the best or the worst luck with rodents (/rodent pregnancies). Maybe a bit of both.

Give us all the hammybean photos as they grow up :3:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Lovely wriggly squirmy little hamnuggets! :neckbeard: It's cool Sam doesn't mind you sticking a camera in her face, she's obviously very comfy with you already :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was holding her every day after getting her to make sure she got used to me before she grew up much more. A good way to get a hamster acclimated to you really fast is to let them crawl around in your shirt. That way they get used to your smell and eventually are able to just crawl in there and go to sleep if they want to. By day 4 she was crawling around for about ten minutes before curling up in a ball and sleeping. Plus if you're really sneaky and quiet, you can lift the shirt up and get some pictures of them sleeping on you. :3: Just make sure you use an old disposable shirt, as some of my hamster shirts have gotten so many holes it looks like someone ventilated them with an assault rifle.

I took another 5ish minute long video of them while Sam was trying to flip over the wheel on the other side of the cage. Gave her four mealworms and she gobbled them right up. The video gets a bit blurry at times as the camera tried to focus on various closer parts of the nest rather than the wriggling babies. It's day 2 and they're already growing teeth! I'll edit the video into this post once it's finished uploading.

Shannonmcn posted:

Lovely wriggly squirmy little hamnuggets! :neckbeard: It's cool Sam doesn't mind you sticking a camera in her face, she's obviously very comfy with you already :3:
Every time I reach in there for anything(camera, picking the bloody paper towel bits out, etc) I make sure to give her a treat or chew toy, and she calms right down. :)

edit: Pink Squirmies With Teeth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCLD6Lz83v0&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 14, 2014

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I was holding her every day after getting her to make sure she got used to me before she grew up much more. A good way to get a hamster acclimated to you really fast is to let them crawl around in your shirt. That way they get used to your smell and eventually are able to just crawl in there and go to sleep if they want to. By day 4 she was crawling around for about ten minutes before curling up in a ball and sleeping. Plus if you're really sneaky and quiet, you can lift the shirt up and get some pictures of them sleeping on you. :3: Just make sure you use an old disposable shirt, as some of my hamster shirts have gotten so many holes it looks like someone ventilated them with an assault rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCLD6Lz83v0&hd=1

I have an apron from my art supplies, but Zara likes climbing up my shoulder and going into the hood of my fleece. Not sure I entirely trust her in there, but it probably is insanely comfy.

I have Carefresh bedding, and I'm not happy with the odor control. I don't have the "odor control" version, but I figure that's just marketing. I've tried just cleaning out her wee areas every couple days, but there's still a smell. Is there a particular form of Alpine people use mixed in with it? I've heard that helps.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 15, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't let rodents into hoods. They will almost always poop or pee in there for some reason. I guess it feels like a safe place to do it in.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Don't let rodents into hoods. They will almost always poop or pee in there for some reason. I guess it feels like a safe place to do it in.

I think my chinchilla's broken then. She jumps into the bathtub and squats right next to the drain. It's the most convenient stealth pee ever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When I say rodents, I mean mice/gerbils/guinea pigs/hamsters/rats. Chinchillas aren't rodents, they're living balls of fluff

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
It's a magical moment in any rodent keepers life when if your rodent stops making GBS threads and pissing you. The level of acceptance you feel is oodles beoynd any bonding between humans.

"This human is alright. I'll elevate him a step above my making GBS threads platform". BFF :unsmith:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

This sounds like very good advice that I should immediately take.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Ahhh the little teeth are amazing! :neckbeard: I showed my sister the video and she said they were creepy <:mad:> she's broken, she didn't even like this massively impressive feat Butts managed the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhlgOlJQKco
(The video is 10 minutes, you will need to fast forward and don't worry the egg biscuit is a rare enough treat and she never eats it all anyway)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It can be unsettling to some people to see literally all the organs through the skin, yeah. Like seeing the heart itself beating through a translucent pink wrapping, I can't blame her. If she still thinks they're creepy after they've started showing fur markings though, she can piss off!

Have some pictures of the last batch of momma+hamsters I had, sorted by time taken
http://imgur.com/a/3iRSC

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Oh my god they are loving precious :kimchi: I'll send her these and figure out if she's actually a heartless wraith.

That little golden in particular is so beautiful, I hope he had a nice life.

I just got asked to babysit my friends little Chinese ham next month :buddy: I'm excited because he's super cuddly unlike my girl who is lovely but pretty disinterested in anything but food.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Captain Invictus posted:

It can be unsettling to some people to see literally all the organs through the skin, yeah. Like seeing the heart itself beating through a translucent pink wrapping, I can't blame her. If she still thinks they're creepy after they've started showing fur markings though, she can piss off!

Fuzzies are only cute once they're actually fuzzy. Newborn hamsters look raw, like they've been born too soon, and are really pretty horrifying when you think about it. Luckily it only lasts a few days.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

But the teenie tiny little pink paws :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jedit posted:

Fuzzies are only cute once they're actually fuzzy. Newborn hamsters look raw, like they've been born too soon, and are really pretty horrifying when you think about it. Luckily it only lasts a few days.

They're still cute in my opinion.

I wager the reason they're born as pink squirmies and not more developed is so the mom can be less burdened by lugging them all around inside her and can better hunt for food to feed the squirmies.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Jedit posted:

This is why chinchillas are so superior(in addition to being the softest animal in existence), babies come out fuzzy and ready to cuddle as soon as they are dry. Except our latest one, who unlike all the other chin babies we've had refuses to cuddle and must be constantly moving. It usually takes chins a while to reach that state, but no, she is already hyper at 5 days old.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 16, 2014

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I wager the reason they're born as pink squirmies and not more developed is so the mom can be less burdened by lugging them all around inside her and can better hunt for food to feed the squirmies.

That makes a lot of sense. Keeping babies alive inside you is really hard on the system and if you're going to have like 12 anyway it's better to drop early, maybe have a couple not make it and be out foraging and stuff for the ones who do live.

How many babies do chins have? I assume it's a lot less since their life span is a lot greater. Just the one?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Shannonmcn posted:

That makes a lot of sense. Keeping babies alive inside you is really hard on the system and if you're going to have like 12 anyway it's better to drop early, maybe have a couple not make it and be out foraging and stuff for the ones who do live.

How many babies do chins have? I assume it's a lot less since their life span is a lot greater. Just the one?

Usually 2. This is the only litter of 1 we've had, and we had a couple litters of 3, although sometimes one won't make it in a litter of 3.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 16, 2014

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Well, yes, that is a very very cute baby :3:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Shannonmcn posted:

Well, yes, that is a very very cute baby :3:

You have no idea how hard it was to get that picture either. My wife had to distract her to get her to sit still long enough for me to get a non-blurry picture of her. She refuses to be admired!

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Thats a lovely photo! She's a beautiful girl. :3:!

I'd love a little chin chin chin but the breeders in Northern Ireland seem to be completely poo poo from what I've heard and from one friends experience with a 4 week old chin from a pet shop... You can guess the rest...

And also my housemate doesn't like rodents, the weirdo, so a Syrian is as much as he will tolerate!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Sure, no doubt nature has a reason, but that doesn't make it cute. Hey, look - the mummy hamster just ate one of her babies! How cuuuuuute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe if you suck at keeping mom properly fed nutritionally and constantly harass/stress her out and rub your face all over the babies to remove her scent and confuse her instincts she'll do that yeah

And I am going to post a daily update video of their growth. Here's a couple minutes of more developed Squirmies with the inklings of peach fuzz fur showing up and mom too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?HXBhc9N1pZc&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 16, 2014